Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1998675 - 12/12/12 11:45 PM 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops
bosendorfer1 Offline

Loc: Flagstaff, AZ
I am working with a client in San Diego who owns a 1986 Steinway D.

The piano has an original set of ONE-PIECE ivory keytops. I heard comments about New York Steinway having built a number of pianos in / around 1986 with ivory keytops.

Does anyone have specifics on how many or for how long New York Steinway added such a valuable bonus on their new pianos (I assume Model Ds only?).

Thank you in advance for your input.

Edited by bosendorferman (12/13/12 12:39 AM)
now - International Piano Brokerage for
Bosendorfer, Hamburg and New York Steinway & Sons Pianos

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1998718 - 12/13/12 01:17 AM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

No idea, but my alma mater has such an instrument (A NY model D), and the serial number dates to 1987-1988.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1998725 - 12/13/12 01:33 AM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I doubt Steinway has put ivory on their keys in the past 50 years, but they may have someone else do it as a special order. They stopped using ivory because it is a lousy material for key tops. I certainly would not expect them to cover it with a warranty.

#1998821 - 12/13/12 08:59 AM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: BDB]
Karl Watson Online   content

Only someone who can't play and has no experience with concert giving would assert something sooooooo false. Have you forgotten that your technical work is done for a purpose, an artistic end ?

Belligerent, opinionated, abusive. It's always the same.

#1998844 - 12/13/12 10:06 AM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: BDB]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: BDB
I doubt Steinway has put ivory on their keys in the past 50 years, but they may have someone else do it as a special order. They stopped using ivory because it is a lousy material for key tops. I certainly would not expect them to cover it with a warranty.

Greetings,
They stopped using ivory because it was too expensive. Then, the CITES treaty sealed the deal. It is the best material for key tops that any of my customers have ever seen. If one hasn't the tactile sensitivity to distinguish between the two, plastic is a lot better.
Regards,

#1998876 - 12/13/12 11:07 AM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Tuner X Online   content

I was working at a S&S dealership at this time, as I remember it was a $4000.00 option. Two D's were sold with Ivory and one of the C&A pool D's had Ivory. All one piece and thicker than any NY two piece. They may have been some of the first KLUGE boards? Renner stacks on the B's and D's started coming from the factory around the same time as standard.
All the Best!

#1998890 - 12/13/12 11:37 AM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: Karl Watson]
BDB Online   content

Originally Posted By: Karl Watson
Only someone who can't play and has no experience with concert giving would assert something sooooooo false. Have you forgotten that your technical work is done for a purpose, an artistic end ?

Belligerent, opinionated, abusive. It's always the same.

I suspect that I have a lot more concert experience than most of the people on this board. In any case, my statement was paraphrased from an interview with Henry Z. Steinway, which you can probably find online somewhere.

#1998900 - 12/13/12 11:50 AM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: BDB]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: BDB
They stopped using ivory because it is a lousy material for key tops.

If this was the opinion, as you assert, of Henry Steinway, please provide the documentation. A vague reference is not definitive.

Since ivory is such "a lousy material" for keytops, why do manufacturers strive to attain the "touch and feel" of ivory?

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1998906 - 12/13/12 12:04 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
BDB Online   content

If you wish to hire me to do research, make an offer that makes it worth my while.

#1998930 - 12/13/12 12:39 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I always hate to see snarkiness in a thread. I guess it can be human nature to an extent.

Let’s try not to get bent too far out of shape here…

Rick

#1998964 - 12/13/12 01:26 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: Minnesota Marty]
masonfan Offline

There is an abstract of an article from the New Yorker referring to an interview with Henry Steinway, from Jan. 25th 1958, that is available online. Although I don't have access to the full interview, it seems to support what BDB was stating.

Edith Iglauer and Brendan Gill, The Talk of the Town, “Change of Keys,” The New Yorker, January 25, 1958, p. 25

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1958/01/25/1958_01_25_025_TNY_CARDS_000255790#ixzz2ExRPxgBQ

#1998972 - 12/13/12 01:48 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
bosendorfer1 Offline

Loc: Flagstaff, AZ
Tuner X - thank you for your valuable insights. They ring true. Other than me imposing on David Kirkland (bless his heart) would you know of anyone else who may have further facts in regard to the original Steinway ivory installations in / around 1986? Thank you in advance.
now - International Piano Brokerage for
Bosendorfer, Hamburg and New York Steinway & Sons Pianos

#1999005 - 12/13/12 02:57 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Louis,

I have understood it to be an option for a Steinway in the early to mid 1980's. It was also available on Falcone and Bosendorfer grands at that time, and I would imagine on others as well by special order. It was an expensive option, to be sure, but not really at all rare.

A complete ban on ivory happened sometime in the late 1980's that basically stopped these options from being offered, but we have done a few special ordered ivory keyboards since then. You just have to be able to certify where the material came from.

Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#1999115 - 12/13/12 07:07 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Rickster Offline

Though perhaps indirectly related to this thread, I have three acoustic pianos in my home (Yamaha, Kawai and Baldwin). Two of them have the real, one piece ivory key tops (the Yamaha and the Kawai).

The ivory does feel different than the plastic… it seems to have a better grip and less slippage. However, it does seem to attract dirt easier and needs more frequent cleaning. I’m thinking the real ivory wears faster than plastic as well.

Rick

#1999120 - 12/13/12 07:14 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: Rickster]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Though perhaps indirectly related to this thread, I have three acoustic pianos in my home (Yamaha, Kawai and Baldwin). Two of them have the real, one piece ivory key tops (the Yamaha and the Kawai).

The ivory does feel different than the plastic… it seems to have a better grip and less slippage. However, it does seem to attract dirt easier and needs more frequent cleaning. I’m thinking the real ivory wears faster than plastic as well.

Rick

Are you sure your Yamaha and Kawai have real ivory, Rick? I highly doubt it unless you bought pianos that had it retrofitted at some point (I don't know why anybody would that however). Both Yamaha and Kawai have their own proprietary composite materials that are designed to simulate ivory. They give them names like "ivorite". There is no ivory in them though. Also, almost all ivory keytops are two piece. There is a fine line at the join where the sharps end.

#1999124 - 12/13/12 07:38 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Greetings,
Henry Steinway may have said that ivory was a lousy material, but he had reasons that had nothing to do with playing the instrument. He was a manufacturer, and ivory was less profitable than plastic, thus it was "lousy".

However, there is a property of ivory that performing pianists understand. On a molecular, or slightly larger level(cellular?), the 'tooth' of ivory's surface is greater than the film thickness of human skin oils. This means that no matter what is on the surface, there are still "peaks" sticking up through it, so there is still a direct physical contact between skin and piano. Plastic surfaces are far flatter; when there is a film of oil on its surface, the finger never actually touches the plastic.
This has a bearing on performance, as the ivory provides a more unchanging grip from start to finish, whereas bone-dry plastic is worlds away from a keyboard that hands have just played a couple of sonatas on. This is what performers have mentioned to me, the ivory stays the same. It feels better to me, without question.
Regards,

Edited by Ed Foote (12/13/12 07:48 PM)

#1999125 - 12/13/12 07:38 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: ando
Are you sure your Yamaha and Kawai have real ivory, Rick? I highly doubt it unless you bought pianos that had it retrofitted at some point (I don't know why anybody would that however). Both Yamaha and Kawai have their own proprietary composite materials that are designed to simulate ivory. They give them names like "ivorite". There is no ivory in them though. Also, almost all ivory keytops are two piece. There is a fine line at the join where the sharps end.

Hi Ando,

All I can say is that you are welcome to come and inspect the pianos yourself... I'm no expert and I could be wrong, but I think my pianos have real one-piece ivory key tops. The Yamaha is a 1978 model C7 and the Kawai is a 1969 model K48A. They have the color and they have the grain. If it is a composit simulation, they did a great job duplicating the look and feel of real ivory.

Of course, I've been wrong before, but not very often... smile

Rick

#1999130 - 12/13/12 07:51 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
The CITES listing of elephant tusk ivory took place in 1989. The ban on international shipping of elephant ivory products was enacted in 1990.

The earlier imports from both Kawai and Yamaha used ivory keytops and did so until that time.

I agree with ya Rick, if you have the original keytops on your pianos, they would most certainly be ivory based on the dates.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1999131 - 12/13/12 07:54 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: Rickster]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Qubec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Rickster
Originally Posted By: ando

Hi Ando,

All I can say is that you are welcome to come and inspect the pianos yourself... I'm no expert and I could be wrong, but I think my pianos have real one-piece ivory key tops. The Yamaha is a 1978 model C7 and the Kawai is a 1969 model K48A. They have the color and they have the grain. If it is a composit simulation, they did a great job duplicating the look and feel of real ivory.

Of course, I've been wrong before, but not very often... smile

Rick

Rick, how about putting up pictures of those.

Being here in Canada, and having worked with many Yamahas and Kawais of those years, I have never seen one piece Ivory on them.

I could be wrong, but I am genuinely curious.

Regards

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#1999139 - 12/13/12 08:13 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: accordeur]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

Jean,

I have a 1966 Kawai KG5 (6’6”) that I service with genuine one piece ivory. This is an interesting machine with 3 inch cheeks, and a huge cabinet rim.

I also have a set of one piece Steinway ivory I rescued years ago. I will take some photos of both and send you a link. Ivory is difficult to photograph to see the grain and seam if there is one.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1999141 - 12/13/12 08:18 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
accordeur Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Qubec, Canada
Thanks Dan, I would love to lay my hands, literally on those. Pictures would be great!

Thanks again.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#1999143 - 12/13/12 08:27 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada

I am at that instrument next Monday.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1999160 - 12/13/12 09:49 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Tuner X Online   content

Hi Louis, Robert Snyder posts here often and could confirm the Ivory keyboards. Michael Mohr at the factory and any salesman working during these years. I would order one piece Ivory blanks from Renner into the early 80's for approx $300.00, the paperwork weighed more than the package. I would have to pick up the package at customs. But no problems. Renner would apologize that they had only #2 grade. After that I would use Yamaha Ivorite blanks, but they started asking why I needed Qty of 88 of note #88.
Back at the store in the 80's a child walked through the door and announced at the top of her voice "If you killed Elephants to build any of these pianos we are leaving" and then started her inspection. 8yrs old my guess.
All the best!

#1999217 - 12/13/12 11:35 PM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: Ed Foote]
BDB Online   content

Originally Posted By: Ed Foote
Greetings,
Henry Steinway may have said that ivory was a lousy material, but he had reasons that had nothing to do with playing the instrument. He was a manufacturer, and ivory was less profitable than plastic, thus it was "lousy".

No, he was talking about the propensity of ivory to chip, crack, yellow, and come loose.

Quote:
However, there is a property of ivory that performing pianists understand. On a molecular, or slightly larger level(cellular?), the 'tooth' of ivory's surface is greater than the film thickness of human skin oils. This means that no matter what is on the surface, there are still "peaks" sticking up through it, so there is still a direct physical contact between skin and piano. Plastic surfaces are far flatter; when there is a film of oil on its surface, the finger never actually touches the plastic.
This has a bearing on performance, as the ivory provides a more unchanging grip from start to finish, whereas bone-dry plastic is worlds away from a keyboard that hands have just played a couple of sonatas on. This is what performers have mentioned to me, the ivory stays the same. It feels better to me, without question.
Regards,

There are any number of other materials that either have the same property or can be made that with it, without the problems of ivory.

#1999231 - 12/14/12 12:38 AM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
We were importing Bechstein, Sauter and Feurich pianos in te 80's, all with one piece Ivory, and we also purchased ivory sets from Kluge, so this doesn't surprise me. I also sold numerous Kawai kg-6 pianos with ivory in the early 80's.

Edited by master88er (12/14/12 12:40 AM)

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: SteingraeberGrotrianSauterEstoniaKayserburgBaldwinBrodmannRitmller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#1999245 - 12/14/12 02:49 AM Re: 1986 NY Steinway D with ONE-PIECE ivory keytops [Re: bosendorfer1]
Rickster Offline

Originally Posted By: Accordeur
Rick, how about putting up pictures of those.

Being here in Canada, and having worked with many Yamahas and Kawais of those years, I have never seen one piece Ivory on them.

I could be wrong, but I am genuinely curious.

Regards

Again, I could be wrong, but that bold grain (different on each key top) is hard to ignore. Here are some pics in an old PW thread from 2010. Like Dan said, it is hard to see the grain in the photos.

Pictures of Yamaha C7 one piece ivory key tops

Not sure what else I can do or say to prove it... but you too are welcome to come and check it out for yourself.

Hope we are not drifting too far off topic.

Rick

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
12 minutes 19 seconds ago
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Today at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Today at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Today at 06:56 PM
Ack! My piano is diseased!
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 06:34 PM
Who's Online
132 registered (angga888, anotherscott, 36251, anamnesis, accordeur, 41 invisible), 1451 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158392 Topics
2325868 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission