2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 214 of 370 1 2 212 213 214 215 216 369 370

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano joy
Originally Posted by casinitaly
Somewhere in the wee hours of the morning this song popped into my mind....

I don't remember the first time I heard it, but I love the energy and fire (pun fully intended) in this piece.

A slight variation on Rossy's more serious post above wink Ah, the irony of it.

That's an interesting song to pop into one's mind in the wee hours of the morning! Always liked it, it's an "oldie" ! Perhaps they've haven't heard it that side of the pond ?...

I'd be surprised if anyone in Italy knows of this song --- I was living in Canada (my native home) when I first heard it. Don't know if it would have been played in England or not...... I bet someone will say smile

Recaredo, glad you enjoyed it smile

Last edited by casinitaly; 03/21/12 09:06 AM. Reason: because some days I can't spell!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eglantine
Originally Posted by griffin2417
thumb Thank you Eglantine!! Just what I needed! It's not sunny here at present. However, this is sure a day brightener. I'm going to share this with some of my other friends!

You have other friends?!

Heh he, only kidding. laugh

laugh Eglantine, my "friends" won't admit it publicly.

Anyways, I won't have time to post today. I'll be checking in later after my work load eases up a bit later today and I have a chance to listen to some of these postings. Have a good day everyone!

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
In an offline moment while waiting for a returned phone call I found myself on page 1 of your serious thread. I am too new to these forums to have been there from the beginning but I'd like to thank you, somewhat belatedly, for posting the Waterlow video.

I often sang and played guitar in the local drinking establishment with like-minded friends (until the smoking ban drove people away). Folk would often hang around after hours singing quieter songs and Waterlow was one of the songs I would sing on such occasions.

I last saw Ian and Mick at the Hammersmith Odeon shortly after the release of their YUI Orta collaboration (along with my brother, who was indeed born late '58).

Thanks for the memories.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Richard, I am so glad you enjoyed waterlow!! I saw Mott the Hoople back in the day when Queen were there support band, Queen were bboed off stage and Mott played a blistering set.
Then nearly forty years passed,
And the "impossible happened" MTH reformed and I was at the Hammersmith that week like a shot!!!
Sadly, micky Ronson ( another Yorkshire lad like myself) had died aged just 49 a few years back.

But MotTs original line up were there: verden Allen, Mick Ralphs, Ian and Dale Griffin ( buffin the drummer) Along with Ians daughter Tracey, ( from the tracey hunter cartel) and micks daughter Lisa ronson allong with Pheobe white, singing backing vocals.

Most unfortunately Buffin is suffering from altzheimers and was only able to be helped on stage for the three song oncore.

There were two drumkits on stage, one for Buffin when he came on, and one for Martin chambers (of the pretenders) who played the rest of the two hours perfectly, and nursed Buffin through the encore songs, watching playing and giving visual aid clues..

"Waterlow" has allways been regarded By Ian as being the best song he ever wrote ( and as you know he has written an incredible quantity)
It depicts a bad time in his domestic life, and contemplation on waterlow park.

Magic.

Last edited by Rostosky; 03/21/12 06:22 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Hi Richard <waves> It's always great to hear the stories about the music.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
What a nice welcome! Thank you <waves back!>

I didn't know Waterlow was Ian's favourite, and I didn't know Trudy was his daughter! I've been singing Trudi's Song as a love song "Mm, I got my babe". Clearly I had the wrong kind of 'babe' in mind.

This is a nice thread <takes off shoes>. I might stay a while.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Richard, you are correct, I did say Trudy instead of Tracy! I will go and edit, I was in a horrendous rush! Tracy ( of the Tracy Hunter cartel) is indeed Ian Hunters daughter, and Trudy is his long standing wife!! carry on enjoying Trudy's song, "mm mm mm I got my babe, shes a right on child, she goes smiling woa woa!!"

note to self, do take care when in a rush.lol

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Here you Richard, seeing as you are in Ireland, the first of three of my favourites....

This one, because to me, no one has ever written a better mandolin solo.... The fureys, and sweet sixteen.

And because we were talking love songs vis a vis MTH.

enjoy!!!

Last edited by Rostosky; 03/21/12 06:29 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
And here, The daughter of a soldier from Galway, Hazel O conner, with the song "will you" she wrote.
With probably the most moving saxaphone solo ever written , played by wesley mcgoogan who so tragically will never play again, after losing his fingers in a horrific circular saw accident.

Back in the Day, before they were even signed, Duran Duran supported Hazel on tour.

Its great to see Hazel back and singing on stage, she is a truly lovely modest lady, whom I had the pleasure to meet. She has spent the last twenty odd years in her attempt to get restitution from the record industry that tricked her into signing a contract giving them all song rights for just £1.00

She eventually "won" this long and protracted court case, I say "won" she got a £16,000 payout.

a dire warning to everyone.

Enjoy...

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
So Richard, I gave probably the best mondolin solo for a love song.
Arguably the best ever sax solo for any song, but for a love song unarguable (?)
And keeping with the Irish, here is Thin Lizzy, with the best ever guitar solo for a love song...

All in all , I hope you enjoy the three...

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Rossy, just to spite you for having mentioned those odious words D**** D****, here's the Vitamin String Quartet covering Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence:

Song was also remixed brilliantly by Fila Brazillia, but I'll leave that one for another day.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Here you Richard, seeing as you are in Ireland, the first of three of my favourites....

This one, because to me, no one has ever written a better mandolin solo.... The fureys, and sweet sixteen.
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-

Hi, All smile

Sorry I haven't been around in a while ('puter problems among other things), but have been enjoying all the great postings!

That's a wonderful love song - When You Were Sweet Sixteen. smile

Well, here's my favorite Moody Blues tune, I think.. love the piano solo:

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hya Elssa, glad to see you back!! welcome....

when you were sweet sixteen was written in 1898 By James Thornton, whne his wife asked if he still loved her..... It has its own wiki page! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_You_Were_Sweet_Sixteen

Here is my personal favourite moody blues song, allthough written much earlier than the single "Question"
It did appear as The "B" side on that single, which is when I first heard it.

It got more plays than any other single on the local pub juke box, so much so, that when the guy came to refill the jukebox as they used to with all the latest hits, he deemed it "worn out" and took it away.

This caused such a fuss between the many so called "tough bikers" that frequented the pub and the landlord, that the landlord caved in and paid out of his own pocket to have it immediately put back...

Here is that version of the B side to question,

Candle of life, a beautifull song indeed...

And Kudos to the person that added the lovely video!!!

enjoy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Rossy,
Originally Posted by Rostosky
smile
when you were sweet sixteen was written in 1898 By James Thornton, whne his wife asked if he still loved her..... It has its own wiki page! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_You_Were_Sweet_Sixteen

That reminds me of this written in about 1775...so touching

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Believe_Me,_if_All_Those_Endearing_Young_Charms

Origins of the melody

The tune to which Moore set his words is a traditional Irish air, first printed in a London songbook in 1775.[1] It is said that after Thomas Moore's wife contracted smallpox, she refused to let herself be seen by anyone, even her husband, due to the disfiguring effects of the disease to the skin on her body, and because she believed he could not love her after her face had been so badly scarred. Despairing at her confinement, Moore composed the lyrics of this song to reassure her that he would always love her regardless of her appearance. He wrote later that after hearing him sing to her from outside her bedroom door, she finally allowed him inside and fell into his arms, her confidence restored

Candle of Life is dreamy!

Last edited by Elssa; 03/22/12 02:42 AM.
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Rossy, what can I say? I am overjoyed.

I last sang Sweet Sixteen for my wife at her fiftieth birthday celebrations a few years ago fingerpicking my then recently acquired Gibson J-200 (I'm normally a strumming kind of guy). This brings tears to my eyes.

I almost daren't point out that the mandolin solo is actually played on a banjo! Another result of rushing, no doubt. It is a wonderful solo. The banjo is a non-sustaining instrument so fast picking, mandolin style, is the normal way to play these things but 'breaking the rules', as here, is how we get magic.

The first of my reciprocal pickings is another memorable moment for me. I was at Cardiff University for a week in 1993 as part of the Open University Summer School. I was practising hard on a wonderful Bechstein grand in the expectation of performing the Moonlight sonata as part of the 'concert' organised for the end of the week but I chickened out because I couldn't quite maintain a presto throughout the last movement - there's a passage with some frightful staccato chords near the end of the exposition - and the first movement requires too delicate a touch for a nervous performer to start with.

But the evening before the concert several of us were taking turns at the grand in the common room when one of the quiet, non-native English speakers sat down and gave us Un Sospiro. It brought the hall to silence. It was just one of those unforgettable moments.

I was going to pick the Claudio Arrau version of this (he was taught by Martin Krause, a pupil of Liszt) but then I saw Jan Lisiecki. I have a photo of myself playing the piano in my teens and JL looks exactly as I looked forty years ago. Enjoy.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I transferred many of my albums onto mp3 CD's to carry in the car. Breaking Glass is on one of those CD's. Do you go over songs in your head and automatically move on to the next track of the album you normally hear it on? The next album on that particular CD is by Yasmin Levy so Hazel O'Connor has that association with me.

This may not be your regular fare but I fell in love with this music after staying with relatives in Spain a few years ago. This is the title track of the album.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Live and Dangerous is Scott Graham(?) and Brian Robertson, no? I think Gary Moore (the late, great) was later, wasn't he? No matter. Not an album I'm familiar with but thanks; always good stuff from Thin Lizzy.

So finally ... back to Yorkshire!

This is Bill Nelson (Wakefield?). This is the first song I remember where the guitar 'solo' goes all through the song not just between verses. Ground breaking stuff for me at the time (early seventies). I later met Bill at a gig in Clacton. He was touring with his Sunburst Finish album and we were the support act (just for this gig, not for the tour). It was unusual for us, normally in Basildon (Depeche Mode country, Eglantine), and frankly we played to bigger crowds in the pubs than at that rather empty local hall.

He's pictured here with the Yamaha SG2000. When this guitar first came out it was sensational and was chosen by Carlos Santana and Gordon Giltrap as well as Bill. I treated myself to the SG700 shortly afterwards. I love the symmetry of it but I still prefer the small waist of the Les Paul. Sonically, the Les Paul sings better in the upper register but the Yamaha has the better punch for Zeppelin style riffs and the split coil brings out a Telecaster sound. Ideal for my Beatles work.

Richard

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Greetings Richard, and welcome to RST! I'm loving your posts, and I sure hope you'll stay a long time. Elssa and Cheryl I am glad to see you are both back. Great postings!

I only have one contribution today. I need to put more time into piano practice right now. I posted this a long time ago. However, it keeps keeps playing in my head. I guess I just need to go with it.

Here is "Fragile" performed by Sting, Yo-Yo Ma, Chris Botti, and Dominic Miller.

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Thank you, Griffin. I'm being made to feel very welcome.

Richard
L

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013

Silver Supporter until Jan 05 2013
L
Hi everyone. I've been MIA for awhile - that pesky need for a paycheque keeps getting in the way of my hobbies, and it's been very busy at work. I've not had much time, but zipped through a few of the lovely pieces of music posted lately - I particularly loved the "When you were Sweet 16" and "Believe Me if all Those Endearing Young Charms". What a beautiful story about Thomas More and his wife. I'm going to listen to the radio piece about the Brontes' piano now (I had no idea I could get BBC programs in Canada - I thought they'd be blocked!)

It's been a glorious couple of days in Nova Scotia - sunny and 26 degrees (Celsius) right now - such incredibly odd weather for March, but we're thrilled to have it, if only for a brief time!

I woke up this morning to this song on the radio. I must confess I've heard OF the Canadian Tenors but hadn't heard any of their music before. Some may consider it a bit schmaltzy, but I thought it was lovely and the perfect accompaniment to an unseasonably summery day in early Spring.

Page 214 of 370 1 2 212 213 214 215 216 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission