Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1999434 - 12/14/12 02:04 PM Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL?
eXcelleNt Offline

First time poster here, so hello everyone!

I'm searching for a keyboard for someone who plays classical (think Beethoven, Mozart). She is picky about the key actions, and I wan't to get her a keyboard that is as close to the "real thing" as possible, but without breaking the bank.

She also doesn't need anything fancy with options like mixing music, creating songs, etc. She's played on a Kurzweil K2500XS and really liked the key action. She'a also tried a Yamaha S90 ES but didn't like that so much.

I've been looking over the Kurzweil series because I know they're quality, and something like $1,500 wouldn't hurt too much. I'd like to know what people on this board recommend, and also importantly which of the (less featured) Kurzweil models come highly recommended.

Thank you.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1999458 - 12/14/12 03:03 PM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
pianoxcape Offline

Loc: Cape Cod
You don't mention if your friend is looking for a "portable" piano (based on the K2500XS and S90 ES, I'd have to assume "yes"?) -- if that is the case, she could look at the following Kurzweil model:

Kurzweil MPS20

If, however she's looking for more of a "piano" style cabinet (with pedals), I'd seriously consider this model:

Kurzweil MP10

Both of these models are below the budget you mention and would be excellent choices based on the criteria you describe.

Kind regards,
Teacher, Entrepreneur...Parent

#1999461 - 12/14/12 03:12 PM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Don't surprise her with the piano (of your choice), instead surprise with 'piano shopping' so she can choose. Seriously.

#1999464 - 12/14/12 03:15 PM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
For piano, Kurzweil is not well regarded around here. I've owned them in the past. Their piano samples have been more or less the same for well over 20 years. Frankly, they are rubbish compared with Roland, Yamaha, Kawai, Nord and even Korg and Casio. They use Fatar key actions that are light-years behind the best digital piano actions. Put your money elsewhere. How much is the Kawai ES7 in your market? Or Roland FP-4F (or better still, 7F)? Or Yamaha P155 or P105 (cheaper)? Or Casio PX-350? All of these are far far better than Kurzweil FOR PIANO (tone and touch). Kurzweil have their strengths but piano isn't one of them!

Anyway others will chime in I expect...

Good luck,

Steve

#1999480 - 12/14/12 04:09 PM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
+1 (Chime)

For a piano - get a Digital Piano (Kawai, Roland, Yamaha, Casio)

For a masterkeyboard / allround gigging , a Kurzweil PC3K8, SPS4-8 , or SP5-8 is still worth considering.

#1999652 - 12/15/12 01:29 AM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: EssBrace]
eXcelleNt Offline

These are the prices I've found for the digital pianos you mentioned. You state that ALL of these are better at being pianos than what Kurzweil has to offer? I'll have to take your word on that.

Kawai ES7 Portable Digital Piano - $1999.00
Roland FP-4F-BK 88-Key Digital Piano - $1699.00
Roland FP-7F Digital Piano - $1999.00
Yamaha P155 Contemporary Piano with Mahogany Top Board - $999.00
Yamaha P105 88 Key Digital Stage Piano - $599.00
Casio PX350 BK 88-Key - $799.00
Touch Sensitive Privia Digital Piano with "AIR" Acoustic and Intelligent Resonation System

She doesn't need a sophisticated synthesizer like the Kurzweil PC3X, plus that's a bit too much for me anyhow.

Are the above models the crème de la crème of digital pianos? She isn't picky: 88 keys that are weighted and play like an actual piano. I'd love to narrow down an excellent pick for her. Any other input or even personal experience with the aforementioned keyboards?

Thanks for the info so far.

#1999667 - 12/15/12 02:45 AM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
MVshabeer2 Offline

As everyone says, you cannot choose a piano for someone else. Instead take her to the shopping. You cant decide by youtube videos which one is better. Some may sound good, but when you play, they might be just one layer piano which wont give any dynamics.

#1999696 - 12/15/12 06:26 AM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: EssBrace]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Frankly, they are rubbish compared with Roland, Yamaha, Kawai, Nord and even Korg and Casio.

He's right Kurzweil are 20 year old technology with awful actions. If you want to give her "as close to the real thing as possible" as you said then steer far away from them.
Kawai ES7 or Roland FP-7F ..... the choice is really that simple.

#1999700 - 12/15/12 06:40 AM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: Dr Popper]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
Frankly, they are rubbish compared with Roland, Yamaha, Kawai, Nord and even Korg and Casio.

He's right Kurzweil are 20 year old technology with awful actions. If you want to give her "as close to the real thing as possible" as you said then steer far away from them.
Kawai ES7 or Roland FP-7F ..... the choice is really that simple.

I owned one Kurzweil, i.e., the console model Mark Pro 3i, as I didn't keep it since the piano arrived with the heavy keyboard cover off of its track and had to pop it back into place. It also had loose pedals with some sideways motion to them, and, the action was pretty sluggish which felt almost like it had a sponge under the keys. Do I need to elaborate any further?

Took a $1,300 loss (on the $1,800 purchase) as I sold it for a mere $500 pittance to a local piano teacher who was glad to make better use of it.

Any other brand will do if you are looking for a decent action.

#1999709 - 12/15/12 08:03 AM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
"She is picky about the key actions, and I wan't to get her a keyboard that is as close to the "real thing" as possible..."

"She isn't picky: 88 keys that are weighted and play like an actual piano..."

Is she "picky" or not?

If not then the Yamaha actions - P155, which is comparatively heavy, and P105, which is comparatively light - might fit the bill nicely and save you some money. But their tone generation is getting on a bit and these key actions are rarely cited as favourites on this forum. They were very good in their day but the game has moved on a bit.

That said, the users of the standard and widely available Yamaha products mentioned above are very under-represented on the forum. I have no doubt most owners are very satisfied with what they've got. The discussions on here are very much more esoteric and motivated than most digital piano owners would be!

But if you want the best available at or near your budget there's lots of advocates on here for either the Roland PHA-III action (as fitted to FP-7F, but not FP-4F) or the new Kawai action as fitted in the ES7. The Rolands sound the same as one another and have a very advanced sound engine but in my view the Kawai is perhaps the nicer and more rounded overall package.

Good luck,

Steve

edit - by the way, I should have strongly advised what others are saying - DO NOT buy her a piano without her involvement in the selection of it!

Edited by EssBrace (12/15/12 08:18 AM)

#1999720 - 12/15/12 08:31 AM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: EssBrace]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland

edit - by the way, I should have strongly advised what others are saying - DO NOT buy her a piano without her involvement in the selection of it!

Absolutely right,
go with her to the pianoshop don't even think of buying it by yourself

#1999895 - 12/15/12 03:51 PM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: EssBrace]
eXcelleNt Offline

"She is picky about the key actions, and I wan't to get her a keyboard that is as close to the "real thing" as possible..."

"She isn't picky: 88 keys that are weighted and play like an actual piano..."

Is she "picky" or not?

You did leave a bit out there. I was referring to features, and as long as she gets a proper set of 88 keys with good actions, she'll be very pleased.

Thank you for the great info all the same though.

Is it being narrowed down to the Kawai ES7 or Roland FP-7F? Unsurprisingly the most expenisve of the list I have so far. smile

Is the Roland PHA-III action fitted only to the FP-7F? And is the new Kawaii action only fitted to the ES7? If these modern actions are fitted to other, less expensive models, I would enjoy taking a look at those ones.

#1999925 - 12/15/12 04:51 PM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
o0Ampy0o Offline

eXcelleNt,

You sound like a guy who has his mind set on giving his girl a big gift.

Like giving a pet you should allow her to make the choice.

#1999945 - 12/15/12 05:34 PM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: eXcelleNt
Is the Roland PHA-III action fitted only to the FP-7F? And is the new Kawaii action only fitted to the ES7? If these modern actions are fitted to other, less expensive models, I would enjoy taking a look at those ones.

I believe Roland's PHAIII action is also found in the HP505 console piano, however I'm not sure of the price of this model. Kawai's RHII action is also found in the CN24/CN34 - the former model being a little less expensive than the ES7, but lacking many of its features.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1999991 - 12/15/12 07:41 PM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Is it being narrowed down to the Kawai ES7 or Roland FP-7F? Unsurprisingly the most expenisve of the list I have so far. smile

The FP-7F has been a star in the market since it was introduced and the recently introduced ES7 seems to be its only real competition. From Roland, the FP-7F is the most affordable model with the PHA III. The DP-90 would be the next most affordable in a console version.

The esoteric technical differences between the two do not clearly favor one or the other for use as a piano, so I won't drag them out. I enjoy and prefer my own FP-7F mostly for its sound, but I absolutely respect Kawai's competitive products.

If you are experiencing too much budget creep, then I think Casio's PX-850 is truly exceptional in the same form factor: portable with speakers & optional stand/pedals - for way less money.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2000083 - 12/16/12 12:55 AM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
eXcelleNt Offline

Thank you for all the help and insight. I've done some more reading, even visited a piano store and I've made up my mind on this one. She'll be thrilled, and likely as blown away as I was at the piano store when the attendant described and demonstrated how similar the ES7's action was to a grand piano.

#2000093 - 12/16/12 01:27 AM Re: Help me find the perfect Christmas gift - KURZWEIL? [Re: eXcelleNt]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)

Well they are miles ahead of the competition the difference between a $1500 and $2000 DP has never been greater. Both have great sound AND actions. Everything else is going to be a compromise or one or the other.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (255, Almaviva, AZNpiano, AEMontoya, accordeur, 42 invisible), 1326 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157144 Topics
2307872 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1950s Zimmermann
by MaxR
08/29/14 02:17 PM
Piano with Willie
by Nikalette
08/29/14 12:58 PM
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
08/29/14 09:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission