2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 190 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 189 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HeirborneGroupie
Hi All.

I finally finished Pomp and Circumstance!!! I thought I would bump this thread by posting my recording of it. This piece took me forever.

http://www.box.net/shared/2qyk9rqd0j

Great Job. Excellent control throughout and dynamics. You really nailed that one!

I read your other thread on the Piano Teachers Forum. I didn't respond since I'm not a piano teacher. However, I can heavily relate to your experiences. My last piano teacher was nearly identical to how you described yours: very agreeable and nice, yet not able to teach any technique or theory or anything useful for my piano abilities. About 6 months ago I decided it was enough, and quit taking lessons from her. I decided I would finish Book 2 on my own then seek a qualified instructor. That is exactly what I did, and I had my first meeting with her yesterday. The difference was profound: with the simple (and free) introduction meeting she pointed out so many things and gave so much advice on technique and theory that I was baffled, but baffled in a great way.

I would first speak with your instructor candidly about your concerns and see if a resolution can be successfully met. If not, Use the MTNA's website and look for a registered piano teacher there. Many are university faculty and may not "take on" beginner piano students, but I guarantee they will know of great piano teachers in your area and will help you establish yourself with one.

[Linked Image]
Thanks Waltz for both the compliment and the advice. I will definitely have a frank conversation about my progress with her. If it doesn't work out, I will try the MTNA's website to find a new teacher.

I'm so glad that your new teacher is better at helping you progress.

I have now moved on to Swingin' Sevenths. Seems like a fun piece.

How are you doing over in 3?

Last edited by HeirborneGroupie; 08/13/09 03:13 PM.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm spending too much time on Solace! Even though I got the song down fairly well, I keep making one or another mistake whenever I start recording it! It's very frustrating...I know I have the tempo, the detached left hand, everything correct, but something happens every time I start recording, especially when I get to the ending. If I have to do a live recital, I will definitely mess up! I have to quit it now and move over to La Bamba. Sheesh.

N
N
Music_in_Me: I have the very same issue with the song I'm trying to record. I think I've tried at least 50 times to record it and mess up one thing or another in it. Hitting wrong notes on sections I normally do fine on; or messing up something I thought I had fixed, or who knows. It's so frustrating!

I don't know how people can play stuff perfectly for their videos. I'd really like to get a good recording of this song. I try to play it slowly, or the different sections; but then I just mess up again when I try the whole song. I don't think I've played the whole thing perfectly in a looooooooooong time.

What do you do when this happens? Just move on? Do you come back to it later? Advice anyone? Thanks smile

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by nancy_w
What do you do when this happens? Just move on? Do you come back to it later? Advice anyone? Thanks smile

This is what I do. Just upload the darn thing:

Solace

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
HBG,

Book 3 is going well, but I'm still near the beginning where the pieces aren't too hard. From what I can tell, after the piece on which I currently am, things really move up to the next level.

Is sight reading a part of your routine? The reason I ask is because I have just started to incorporate it into my practice time.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Music_in_Me

Solace

Sounded very nice to me, good job smile

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Music_in_Me: I have the very same issue with the song I'm trying to record. I think I've tried at least 50 times to record it and mess up one thing or another in it. Hitting wrong notes on sections I normally do fine on; or messing up something I thought I had fixed, or who knows. It's so frustrating!

I don't know how people can play stuff perfectly for their videos. I'd really like to get a good recording of this song. I try to play it slowly, or the different sections; but then I just mess up again when I try the whole song. I don't think I've played the whole thing perfectly in a looooooooooong time.

You only have two days left, get to work grin

[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by Waltz
Originally Posted by Music_in_Me

Solace

Sounded very nice to me, good job smile

I agree! There might have been mistakes, but not hugely jarring ones. When I make a mistake - its HUGE and you notice. LOL

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
My main problem in this recorded version is the ending

Waltz, what do you mean by sight reading being part of your routine? Most of the songs I play, I do with my eyes glued to the page. If I don't look I get lost, unless I have already memorized the song. Perfect sight reading, to me, is when one is able to play a song for the first time by just reading the notes on spot. This might be doable for easy songs, but I can't see how anyone can do it for, say, most of Book 2 pieces, but I have heard that some people actually can do it.

Anyway, I have a link to some web site that has a java applet that you can run to practice note reading, if you need one, let me know, I'll look it up.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Chopin said that "every difficulty slurred over will become a ghost to haunt you later".

If you "slur over" too many difficulties in too many pieces you'll end up with a piano full of ghosts.

Difficult sections in pieces need to be mastered - sooner or later. Do the best you can now. If you get frustrated let it rest awhile and move on. But - you must come back. 4 weeks or 4 months later - it doesn't matter. Continue hammering away at the sections again, and again, and once again. Even if still not perfect you've instilled the proper habit and mindset. Reinforce this constantly. Refuse to accept "good enough".

Red Dot Fever cure: don't even turn the red dot on until you can play a piece to your complete satisfaction all the way thru - without the red dot - a number of times. Otherwise you're simply recording a practice session. Nothing wrong with that, but that's not what you want here. And if the recording process makes you nervous, then actually do routinely record all of your practice sessions - you just never know what you might capture.

Regards, JF

Edit for spelling.

Last edited by John Frank; 08/13/09 08:00 PM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
MiM,

By sight reading I mean: playing a piece you've never before seen, beginning to end, to the best of your ability, without stopping, and only playing it that one time and then moving on to the next piece. The point is to improve your direct note reading-hand coordination ability.

Of course, this absolutely cannot be performed on pieces at your level; it must be done on pieces well below your level. My new teacher let me borrow some simple beginner piano books to use; but it still is extremely, extremely difficult for me. That is one skill I really need to improve.

BTW, I am interested to hear everyone on Book 2's thoughts on sight reading and if/how they do it!

PS: Nice post JF, I agree very much.

[Linked Image]
I am wrapping up the level one book and any day now will be joining you guys in this thread, but I have a question that relates to book one.

I am about to start Amazing Grace and it looks a bit daunting. Seems like fingers go all over the place. My question is for anyone who might recall working on the piece; how difficult was it, how long did it take to get a decent rendition, any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, and hope to see you all soon.

Hi Waltz.

The only sight reading I get to do is when I start a new piece. My teacher makes me run through it on first sight, hands separate.

There is a great application on the web called Fast Keys. It's fun and it helps a lot with fast note recognition. Here's the link.

http://martypapa.blogspot.com/2009/07/fast-keys-20.html

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
Waltz.

You and the teachers on the PTF have inspired me to look for a new teacher. Thank you. I could be so much farther along than I am.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
wj3 Offline
Waltz. My teacher just started me on a sight reading program. I bought a book, its an alfreds supplement, called Sight Reading. There are several. My teacher picked level 2b for me. Its written for kids but I got over that. It teaches you to reconize the notes, intervals and rythyms by doing little exercises. You are supposed to play a page "prima vista" for your teacher at your weekly lesson, then you practice that page during the next week. Boy am I bad at this. Hopefully I'll get better.

Dukeofhesse. Amazing Grace really wasn't too bad after The Entertainer. But it took me a couple of three weeks to get it down to a level where I could record it. I haven't played it in awhile, so its mostly gone. I should practice it somemore and get it in my repitore.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Does anyone know of any application (preferably free) which you can use to do sight reading using your own musical keyboard, not a virtual one? Years ago, I did buy such a program, and it was quite good, as you just look at the screen and play the notes directly on the keyboard. There is one that does the same using your computer keyboard keys, which is ugly.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
HBG,

Thanks for the response and link. I think you made a good decision to look for a new teacher; hopefully your current one will be understanding. Please keep us up to date with your search smile

wj3

Thanks for your response. A huge aspect of sight reading is interval recognition, so that book sounds really helpful. I may ask my instructor what she thinks about it. Don't worry about not being great at sight reading; I am just terrible at it right now. Hopefully we'll both improve as we practice.

[Linked Image]
I've almost got Swingin' Sevenths down. This one was much easier than P+C.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
HG, good job! I remember how I found later songs sometimes easier than earlier ones, which is cool.

Page 73 of 190 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission