2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 242 of 370 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 369 370
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Okay I'm all excited now.. I've got my outfit picked out and just have to get ready later today!

I'm going to see James Parker (Pianist and part of the GryphonTrio) tonight for a Mozart concert!

So heres a song from them... smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
Okay I'm all excited now.. I've got my outfit picked out and just have to get ready later today!

LOL!! I glanced at the first line and thought "for her FUNERAL???". Then I read the rest! Enjoy!

Sandy

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LMAO that would make one's eyebrows go up!

Hopefully I will enjoy, it's my first piano concert so I will see what I think of it!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Hi everyone. I'm just dropping by, but won't be posting today. I have the day off to get fully rested up for tonight. I'm going to play 2 pieces for a community group holding it's annual meeting at our theater. I felt honored to be asked. There is a bit of a challenge for me with this one. This blasted cough keeps hanging on. I don't have a fever and feel well enough to handle it. I've heard from others that this is what to expect for a bit longer.

I'll let you know how things go later! Right now, I'm resting and using a few simple remedies to manage the cough -- warm water, tea, eucalyptus drops. It seems to help. Oh yeah, I'll do a toddy at bedtime, but certainly not before the performance! laugh

Later!

Carl

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good luck Griff! I'm sure you'll be fantastic!

I do hope your cough goes away soon! My entire household is struggling with the exact same thing. My son really got it bad though! Let us know how it goes tonight!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Griffin, I have no remedies to offer -- just wanted to say good luck. If your last performance was any indication, you'll be terrific!

Sandy

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the Herbie Hancock, Griffin, KeysAngler and Bob... He's the original funkmeister. And Head Hunters has to be one of the greatest albums ever.

I once went to see Hancock, at the Barbican in London. I had a bad fall on the way in to the building, and broke a bone in my foot. BUT I was determined not to miss the performance and managed to get to my seat in the end. In agony all the way through the concert, but so glad I didn't miss it.

Here's another man from back in the day: Horace Silver. Song for My Father was also recycled by the next generation (Steely Dan's Rikki Don't Lose That Number etc.).

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Eglantine, as I was listening to Horace Silver, my 9 YO comes up and starts doing a funky dance to it, ha! I always knew he was a strange kid....

Today , I am not piano joy. I am piano GRUMP.
It is full blown love bug season down here in FL and , now, I have to get out the petroleum jelly for the car! Arrrghhh!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
My goodness, there's been some good stuff posted. I see I have to make more arrangements for my funeral! It would be nice if it could save me one more tax return.

It's a standard Gregorian Dies Irae for me, guys. Good Catholic boy, me!

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Piano joy just said for the love bug she has to get the vaseline out.
This did not go unoticed.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Originally Posted by Rostosky

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Rostosky

[This could get messy.]
What is a love bug and do you have to vaseline the whole car? And the windshield?
Rossy is curious, not me....

Sandy

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
[Linked Image]

Sandy et al, love bugs- UGH! You may be sorry you asked, but here goes...
They're these flying , rather large insects and they fly around in pairs, ahem , (they've hooked up, they have no shame!) and fly into and onto everything!
Sometimes, you have to swat at them just while you're walking! They're really gross!

So, naturally, as you're driving a car, SMUSH! They splatter all over the windshield (no problem, really) but also onto the front part of the car. If you don't get them off right away (and it's hard, believe me!) then their smushed bodies/juices take the paint right off your car. And, if you leave them on, they'll get baked right on forever, as I can prove with pics (however will spare) of our 10 year old car with fossilized love bug remains on it.

So....out comes the vaseline! Yup, smear it all over the front 1/3 of the car (not windshield, of course, ha) and at least you can then just wipe them right off. Of course, there's no way to avoid getting vaseline all over oneself while doing this, not to mention one forgets to NOT lean against the car for the next week !

ah, the price we pay for living down here...love bug season comes twice a year, thank you very much! annoying....yucko.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I wondered when you'd be able to clue folks in PJ. I went to google and quickly realized I don't want to trade places with you folks in Florida. In Minnesota we have a good number of mosquitoes. I am sure Becca can relate as well. However, we can simply apply some repellants which are generally quite effective. I'm not aware any problems with huge swarming bugs like the so-called love bugs.

Carl

Originally Posted by piano joy

So, naturally, as you're driving a car, SMUSH! They splatter all over the windshield (no problem, really) but also onto the front part of the car. ..yucko.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the bugs!

Following on from Horace Silver ("Silva" - his dad was from Cape Verde, so much within Portuguese/Brazilian sphere), here's a tune from one of my favourite albums on the Portuguese/Brazilian axis: Getz/Gilberto (Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto). Back in 1965, it won several Grammys.

'Corcovado' refers to the mountain in Rio.

Today I'm mainly waxing and polishing the new floor... but also have to prepare a dinner for guests tonight. Butterfly mackerel with peppers and paprika, lamb tagine with dates, lime meringue pie. Will that be enough?

The weather, as we've come to expect this April, is miserable, with big black clouds and rain, rain, rain.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
R
R
Originally Posted by Eglantine
The weather, as we've come to expect this April, is miserable, with big black clouds and rain, rain, rain.

Well, in India, especially in West Bengal now, its the big bright Sun showering his scorching blessings upon us! No sign of black clouds and rain, as expected on April here: MISERABLE frown So, some cool music for all of you: 'Fireflies' (don't worry, these are not as horrifying as those 'loving bug-flies' grin )

[video:youtube]psuRGfAaju4[/video]

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Well, I woke up to a giant truck covered with bugs. EEEEEWWWWWW. It's my fault, I just had to ask what love bugs are.

Eglantine, I have a feeling I won't be able to make the trip to Another Country tonite. A shame, because that sounds like an elegant, delicious dinner. Maybe this song will brighten up the day for you.

Sandy

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Morning everyone! It's cloudy and rainy this morning in Minneapolis. We've had some sunny days too. I'm trying to take it easy today. That obnoxious cough is still with me. However, I'm hopeful it's starting to dissipate.

I love all of these wonderful postings. It sure helps lifts the spirits. Eglantine, I hadn't heard Horace Silvers in years. I certainly remember some of the great Brazillian music I started hearing in high school. Sandy, loved the Fifth Dimension. They were a big hit during my college years. Rupak, I really liked Firefles. I hadn't heard this before.

How about a little more Brazillian music. Here is Baden Powell with "Canto de Ossanha."

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Last edited by polyphasicpianist; 04/29/12 02:28 AM.
Page 242 of 370 1 2 240 241 242 243 244 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission