Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1998198 - 12/12/12 05:52 AM Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay
albynism Offline

Hello, after months of deliberation I am ready to purchase a piano from ebay from a reputable seller. The piano is in United States, and I'm in Australia. I have never purchase something so expensive off ebay before (30k +) so I'm not sure what would be the safest way to pay for this piano. ie, what if I pay for the piano in full and it never turns up? Also has anyone shipped a piano from overseas before? How much did the shipping company quote you? Thank you so much for any advice and sorry if this has been posted before.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1998201 - 12/12/12 06:21 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You can pay through an online escrow company. Ebay has one they work with....google it. They hold the money until you receive and inspect the piano, then release the funds to the seller. You will pay several thousand dollars to ship a piano from the U.S. or Europe. Depends on the distance and conditions, (stairs/turns) at your home.

#1998204 - 12/12/12 06:28 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
We are in the UK and this came up the other day with a French customer. They wanted a Bank Guarantee which was impossible for the services we were supplying over a period of time. It would be ideal for your piano. The Bank guarantees to pay you the money if the piano does not show up by a given date, is not in good condition, whatever you specify. There may be other ways [PS as previous post]. PayPal? Complete all the arrangements with the seller before parting with a cent!

Edited by Withindale (12/12/12 06:32 AM)

#1998205 - 12/12/12 06:36 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Thanks for both your advice. I'm not sure if they can accept escrow company but I will definitely ask. I will also ask my bank about Bank Guarantee. Is there anything else I should be wary about before sealing the deal? It is a new piano, but it has been in the showroom for a couple of years. I'm thinking of asking for photos of the hammer felt (to see how worn it is), and even a video of something being played to hear the tone of the piano (even just a scale), what else should I be concerned about?

#1998217 - 12/12/12 07:38 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
How about seeing if one of the US RPTs on this board could inspect it for you where the piano is now located tor a fee? That way you'd know its current condition before shipping commenced.

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1998218 - 12/12/12 07:51 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Great idea ClsscLib! I'll look into getting a RPT to inspect the piano once I'm happy with the price of the piano.

#1998704 - 12/13/12 12:40 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
Also, you will want to check warranty arrangements. Most warranties are underwritten by the importer into the country, but would only be relevant within that country.

#1998707 - 12/13/12 12:44 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]

A cheaper way of shifting it here??

#1998728 - 12/13/12 01:37 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
Acca Offline

This is also something I'm considering (shipping a piano from overseas to Australia), so I hope you will share with us your experience of doing this! smile I'm sure many of us will be interested.

For what it is worth, I have found out that musical instruments, in particular grand pianos, are not subject to a tariff:
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/HT92AW2012.pdf (Stat code 52)

However it will of course be subject to GST (10% on the whole of purchase price + shipping + insurance).

Quarantine is the other thing to consider. From what I can gather, for manufactured wood products, it just needs an inspection.

Need to comb this website for more info:
http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import

Of course, the alternative is just pay a customs broker to handle all this.

Edited by Acca (12/13/12 01:46 AM)

#1998740 - 12/13/12 02:34 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]

You'll need a carrier when it gets here, you could contact them now - I'm sure they'd have information on processes.

#1998832 - 12/13/12 09:41 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What will shipping cost? What will the effect of a long sea voyage be on the piano, if you do not spring for air fare? Why are you buying a $30K piano in the US for shipping to Australia in the first place? Are there no good pianos already in Australia? Given the need to pay taxes and shipping, you could get an even more expensive piano that is already there, unless Australia is much more of a backwater than I think it is.

How come I am the first poster to be asking these questions? Where are all the skeptics on this forum? It seems very odd to me that anyone would buy a piano this way, given that it cannot be tried out before purchase. What if the piano does not meet your expectations? What are you going to do about returning it in that event? How are you going to get warranty repairs paid for by the seller, if any are needed?

If you have already answered all of these questions, or gotten answers from the seller, great. You have no doubt thought of all these questions, but I am posting this anyway.

#1998858 - 12/13/12 10:36 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
Acca Offline

Australia is more backwater than you could ever imagine. All the prices you see on this forum, add 50 to 100%, and you will have an idea of what we have to pay. Even after shipping, insurance, transport and 10% tax, we can still save 20-40%. That's a very powerful motivator.

Many of the distributors in Australia have been used jacking up prices over the years because our currency used to be weak. Now that our currency is stronger than the USD, they keep the same prices, citing "costs" and Australia being a "remote location". Unfortunately for them, the internet is a great leveler, and we can easily see how badly we are getting ripped off now.

#1998878 - 12/13/12 11:10 AM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
i purchased my C7 off of eBay, but i flew from chicago to LA to audition it. personally, i couldn't imagine purchasing a $30k piano without playing/hearing it first.

also, considering australia's proximity to japan/korea/china, wouldn't pianos made in those countries be somewhat reasonably priced down under? aren't there some good piano stores in sydney you could go to to try out pianos and negotiate price?

#1999068 - 12/13/12 05:08 PM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Any way you slice it, Australia's piano market is very poor compared to the US. You guys have no idea how good you've got it - you are spoiled for choice and for price. Acca is perfectly right. If I lived in the US, I would have a grand piano by now. Because I live in Australia, it's a long way off. The difference is that great that it does make sense to consider shipping a piano in from the US - the difference in price more than pays for shipping it, and even would pay for a two way ticket and a vacation to go to the US and audition the piano. The only benefit we have is a generally strong economy - but that is of little relevance for the individual person with a modest income. Buying a piano from overseas is still a very nervous proposition however, due to the fear of getting ripped off. If I were buying from a reputable dealer like Rich or Norbert though, I wouldn't be worried at all.

#1999391 - 12/14/12 12:14 PM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Nice to hear from fellow Aussies! The dealer said firm and won't negotiate on the original price listed. Is this common? I have made an offer anyway... not a ridiculous amount off the original price listed but I do have a budget on how much I can spend.

#1999396 - 12/14/12 12:24 PM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's the total package including finance, transport and after sale services that matters. What service does the dealer offer his local customers with a piano?

#1999399 - 12/14/12 12:35 PM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Just free transport to the shipping dock. The shipping cost I'll pay myself. I'll be paying it in full. I'll be getting a tech in their local area to inspect it first before I make the purchase. Still the owner is very firm. Anyway, I just left my offer and see what happens. In the meantime ill shop around.

#1999429 - 12/14/12 01:47 PM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just to clarify my penny's worth; when you have your tech's report, you'll have as complete a picture as you are going to have, and then you'll be in a better position to agree the final deal. You'll be taking on any pre-sale and after-sale service responsibilities, but is the free shipping to the dock in exchange for that?

#1999522 - 12/14/12 06:29 PM Re: Help please, about to purchase an expensive piano off ebay [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Withindale. I pm-ed you

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Brian Lucas, Ben_NZ, Atrys, 18 invisible), 1239 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295436 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission