Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1998471 - 12/12/12 04:46 PM Suggested Transcriptions
h2obuff Offline

Loc: kansas city area
Hi I hope someone can help.

I had to stop playing/practicing because of wrist pain. I found a teacher that expressly works with recovery who herself was nearly incapacitated as a professional pianist but learned a new technique. I had been playing out of fakebooks/jazz and used Mark Levine's book as a reference and some lessons from local jazz pianist's previously. My current teacher is strictly classical and for the time being wants me to stick with written music while my body is adjusting to the new technique.

She would love to let me work in the jazz idiom but I would like recommendations on transcriptions to use. Or would I be better off with arrangements in a jazz style? I am currently working on more scalar playing and she says that lots of intervals are still to be avoided.

I have made progress and one of the most difficult things is that I also work at a computer all day. Some of the piano things easily translate but at the computer I have a tendency to go completely by instinct since I learned to type at a real typewriter. I have found that this causes some of the pain I had been experiencing so am having to change this as well.

So, jazz transcriptions where the style is more or less not about a lot of intervalic leaps. Or suggestions of arrangements that would be a good transition.

Thank you, h2obuff

Piano & Music Accessories
#1998476 - 12/12/12 04:53 PM Re: Suggested Transcriptions [Re: h2obuff]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
This is pretty good. http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Evans-Arrangements-Solo-Piano/dp/0634018728/
"Bill Evans - 19 Arrangements for Solo Piano"

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#1998840 - 12/13/12 09:59 AM Re: Suggested Transcriptions [Re: h2obuff]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The transcriptions of Bill Evans, Dave Brubeck, Marian McPartland, George Shearing, and Oscar Peterson are all very good. Lee Evans and Philip Keveren also provide, IMO, jazz-sounding arrangements that are very "true" in feel and not so difficult as some of the transcription I cited above. That should give you a good start.

#1999380 - 12/14/12 11:32 AM Re: Suggested Transcriptions [Re: h2obuff]
h2obuff Offline

Thank you Tim and Chris!

#1999614 - 12/14/12 11:08 PM Re: Suggested Transcriptions [Re: h2obuff]
Mark Polishook Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Leicester, UK
h2obuff ... another way to look at it (based on how i'm reading what you say) is your teacher is suggesting to stick w/written music as a way to really control the motions your hands and wrists and arms make when playing. because improvised music sometimes means letting technique go (or forgetting about technical issues) to get to whatever idea you're trying to get out through the keyboard.

so regardless of which transcription you use, you might might to above all remember to keep everything (hand, arm, wrist, fingers, etc.) as relaxed as possible). i say this because as far as i know, most stress injuries come from a non-relaxed style of playing. and while it's true that large intervals, etc. can be demanding, you really don't see the kinds of things in jazz transcriptions that you do in lizst chopin, barber, etc. those are composers who can rip hands to shreds! if their compositions are played WITHOUT relaxation!

the thing it, it's not always that easy to monitor relaxation and to know that you can always relax even more than you think! so my suggestion: pick some music you like (or let you teacher help you with that) and then above all make sure you're relaxed and then work to relax even more!

hope this helps!

#2000611 - 12/17/12 08:28 AM Re: Suggested Transcriptions [Re: Mark Polishook]
h2obuff Offline

Printer1 thanks. Yes, she is saying stick to written music for exactly the reasons you say, even if I write it out myself.

One way of describing the technique she is teaching is 'tension free playing'. Certain physical habits need to be relearned and physiology cannot be ignored such as the alignment of the hand-wrist-forearm which allows the tendons that pass through the wrist to be relaxed - no inherent stress from flexion, extension or other. Each new level of difficulty from stepwise/scalar to larger intervals/arpeggios to chords offers me the opportunity to slip into old habits that I didn't realize were tension filled. Yes, simply being more relaxed but also the methods I was using to accomplish what I was doing, largely self taught technically, were filled with things that stressed the body. There are better, more efficient ways of doing all the things I had been doing and it sounds better! Thanks for your input!

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
10/24/14 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/24/14 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
10/24/14 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
10/24/14 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
10/23/14 11:48 PM
Who's Online
105 registered (anotherscott, Auver, aesop, barbaram, 36251, 37 invisible), 1324 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158465 Topics
2327072 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission