Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1998473 - 12/12/12 04:48 PM Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A
Kacky Offline

I am looking for advice as we try to make a decision on two pianos. The first piano is a 1985 Yamaha C7 for $19,800. We love the big sound and the typical Yamaha action. Our biggest fear is whether the size is a problem. We would either place it in an 11 X 11 room by itself, where it would be tight, or take up about a third of our living room. The other piano is a brand new Mason & Hamlin A for $17,800. We thought the Yamaha was a pretty good price but the Mason appears to be an even better price. The size obviously would be bettter for our home; however, we are giving up a lot of size on the piano relative to the C7 even though the Mason does have a wonderful tone, rich base and very good action.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1998490 - 12/12/12 05:22 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Welcome to Piano World!

Wow, that's a tough call...

I have my C7 in a 20x20 room with 10 foot ceilings; it can still be a little loud and powerful (but I like loud and powerful smile ). I would think a C7 would be rather strong and boastful in an 11x11 room. Yet, and still, I really like the C7.

The Mason & Hamlin is smaller, and may be better suited for the room. You say you like the tone of the Mason... that says a lot.

Glad I don't have to make that decision... smile

All the best.

Rick

#1998495 - 12/12/12 05:27 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Rickster]
Mark VC Offline

Tell ya, I've got a C6, not a C7, and it's in a room that's 15 x 25 and that puppy is LOUD. Note that I don't have carpeting or overstuffed furniture, nor the ceiling baffles that my piano tech wants me to install. But in an 11x11? I think it's going to be kicking the walls down.

#1998503 - 12/12/12 05:36 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
i sold my M&A model A to buy a used C7. i loved the A, but ultimately wanted a big piano. the M&A can be quite loud too, it's a bold instrument.

you will probably need to work with the acoustics of the room and voicing the piano in either case, so be prepared for a break-in period of trial & error. i recently added a large pad & rug to my music room that has really brought the C7 under control in a room probably better suited to a smaller piano.

ps -- you should be able to negotiate a much better price for the 1985 C7, IMO.

Edited by Entheo (12/12/12 05:38 PM)

#1998537 - 12/12/12 06:37 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I cannot imagine how a new Mason A could sell for that price. The usual selling price would be closer to twice that amount. The SMP for a Mason A is 50K so the price you quoted is around 65% off SMP which is probably below dealer wholesale cost.

I also cannot imagine either piano working in an 11x11 room unless the room really opened into other rooms with much wider than normal door openings. In that case, the space for the piano is really larger than 11x11. I think you should plan on putting either piano in your living room.

How big is your living room?

Edited by pianoloverus (12/12/12 06:39 PM)

#1998540 - 12/12/12 06:43 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
The M&H-A is a fine piano. Even considering its size, the bass has a rich, full sound. The price you were quoted is quite spectacular.

With the space limitations, I would tend toward the Mason. It seems that you like it too!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1998543 - 12/12/12 06:44 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
Grotriman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does anybody else think that $20K is a lot for a 30 year old Yamaha? I do.

Grotriman

#1998547 - 12/12/12 06:58 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Grotriman]
Mark VC Offline

Yeah, have a look on ebay. There are four C7's, selling for 17.5, 24.9, 21, and 22. The 21 is a rebuild, the 24.9 is a '95. Granted they're in all different states of repair that we don't know, etc etc, but the stated price does seem above market for a used 7 - not outlandishly so, but it's definitely on the high side.

#1998551 - 12/12/12 07:12 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Minnesota Marty]

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
The M&H-A is a fine piano. Even considering its size, the bass has a rich, full sound. The price you were quoted is quite spectacular.
I wouldn't call it spectacular. More like it's so low that the piano is really far from new or the the dealer is so desperate for cash that any warranty is meaningless or the piano is defective. I think the price might even below what authorized dealers are allowed to sell that piano for. The price is so low that IMO it raises a major red flag.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/12/12 07:13 PM)

#1998554 - 12/12/12 07:19 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Yeah, there is a catch somewhere. I wonder if there is a typo in the price in the posting from the OP or if it is a used instrument.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#1998561 - 12/12/12 07:59 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
Kacky Offline

Sorry for the lack of explanation on the M & H price. This piano is owned by a bank that had to foreclose on a dealership. It has a walnut case, and the suggested retail is $56K.

#1998567 - 12/12/12 08:15 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]

Originally Posted By: Kacky
Sorry for the lack of explanation on the M & H price. This piano is owned by a bank that had to foreclose on a dealership. It has a walnut case, and the suggested retail is $56K.
That price would be much greater than the normal selling price which I'd estimate at 33K-40K.

If you like the Mason you probably need to have it checked very thoroughly by a tech as it may not come with a warranty. You should also verify somehow that it is really new as I don't think the bank would be expert in that area.

Perhaps a dealer at PW could give better advice about how to proceed with the purchase of a piano owned by a bank to avoid any possible problems that might not occur when buying from a dealer.

If the piano is really new and in good condition it would be a sensational buy at half the price(or even less) typically paid for that piano in walnut. Even then I wouldn't recommend buying it just for the price unless you like it(which you seem to and it is, of course, considered to be a very good piano).

#1998568 - 12/12/12 08:17 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I would jump on the the Walnut M&H asap. Get all the paperwork verified.

#1998619 - 12/12/12 10:10 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
Chopinlover49 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
I don't know anything about buying from a bank, and the price is so wonderful on the Mason-Hamlin A that I would want to have it checked out by a tech and look up the serial number to boot, but if it is as advertised, I would get it immediately. A nice mahogany A is a wonderful piano. There is no comparison to the older Yamaha, but, of course, you have to like the tone and touch. If one seems better than the other to you, that is really all that matters, but as far as perceived value, the Mason-Hamlin A seems like a much better choice. I have the larger seven foot Mason-Hamlin BB in a small bedroom and have no issues with it overpowering the room because I have wall-to-wall carpet and keep the lid down when I play. The A is smaller, but quite robust. If your room has carpets and you play with the lid down or half stick I think you will be ok. Of course, in a bigger room you can really let it roar if you want to. Great bass. Good luck with whatever you do.

#1998645 - 12/12/12 10:55 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
That is an AMAZING price on the M-H. I would not wait, go for it.

#1998969 - 12/13/12 01:39 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
I. Bruton Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Raleigh
Hi, I haven't been on the forums in quite some time, but I want to respond to this.

My Yamaha C3 is located in a 12x12 room that opens into a 15.5x20.5 room. This piano easily fills the house (and I, too like it loud!). As much as I like Yamahas, esp. the C7, I think you should probably choose the M&H. The C7 will overwhelm the room.
High School Choral Director
Church Music Director
Pianos owned: Yamaha C3
Pianos at work: Yamaha P22, Kawai K3, Steinway B

#1999007 - 12/13/12 03:01 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: I. Bruton]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I have to say I'd go with the M&H Model A in this situation. I have a 6-footer in a 15x16 room with extensive acoustic treatments, and it's way more than enough. I cannot imagine a C7 in a 11x11 room. The room would have to be an anechoic chamber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anechoic_chamber). grin

#1999133 - 12/13/12 07:59 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Grotriman]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Grotriman
Does anybody else think that $20K is a lot for a 30 year old Yamaha? I do.

This price actually sounds about right from what I've seen in the Toronto area.

My vote would be for the new Mason.
My experience with older Yamahas is that the action tends to get pretty loose and uneven. I'd want to set some money aside to have the action worked on if I were going to buy one that age.

#1999576 - 12/14/12 09:01 PM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
Kacky Offline

Uh Oh! Looking for a piano can be confusing! The consensus seems to be the M&H, but now we suddenly have two others to consider: A Seiler ED186 (6 ft 1 in made by Samick to Seiler specs) and a Steinway O, newly refurbished. All similarly priced. Help!

#1999645 - 12/15/12 12:46 AM Re: Trying to Decide: Used Yamaha C7 or New Mason & Hamlin A [Re: Kacky]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Kacky
Uh Oh! Looking for a piano can be confusing! The consensus seems to be the M&H, but now we suddenly have two others to consider: A Seiler ED186 (6 ft 1 in made by Samick to Seiler specs) and a Steinway O, newly refurbished. All similarly priced. Help!

What are the ages of the Seiler and Steinway ?? And to what extent was the Steinway "refurbished?"

IMHO the new M&H A is still probably the best choice.....and someone else may buy it if you don't act soon. BUT ultimately you should go with the instrument you like best.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, 36251, aesop, 37 invisible), 1648 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75901 Members
42 Forums
156864 Topics
2304962 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
To Continue or Not To Continue
by ZPomeroy
38 minutes 25 seconds ago
Use Audacity to SEE, HEAR, and MEASURE beats.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 12:55 PM
Any interest in reviving the Denver area piano group?
by Colin Dunn
Today at 11:52 AM
Masterclass etiquette doubt
by Francisco Scalco
Today at 10:21 AM
Using the drum tracks on KAWAI MP6 piano
by Dr Jazz
Today at 08:39 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission