2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 191 of 341 1 2 189 190 191 192 193 340 341
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Thanks Dave! It's really great. I'd help you type it but I don't have a note editor. =(

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I just recorded a practice session. Lots of repetitiveness and fingers leading the note choices. But moments (maybe brief) of ideas coming out, particularly later. I just kept the LH away so I could concentrate on the rhythm (just like Scott). I think the rhythm improved.

ATTYA Practice Solo
http://www.box.net/s/ps6te1ikk73beeuq34f2

Thoughts?

Very good.. thumb

Thanks Dave. Perhaps I'm not hearing what you guys like about it smile I listened to it a few times and the main positive thing I could gauge was I played in time. So maybe that goes to show what's important smile.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

R
R
hey guys, had a jam tonight and realized I need to work on some things. First is counting bars and form for standards. I'm so used to playing solo piano and can tend to wander off. This doesn't work so well with a trio.

I need to find a way to do it in my head. I just can't play and read lead sheets anymore.

Any practice tips on keeping time? For a regular 4/4 time, what's a good way to count in 4 and 8 bar intervals?

I've heard to count just the "1 and and and.. 2 and and and... 3 and and and ..4 and and and ..)

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
sing the melody in your head, feel the changes mentally. to ingrain this, sing bass lines and the "leading tone lines", this expression escapes me right now, the english translation... caramba

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
sing the melody in your head, feel the changes mentally. to ingrain this, sing bass lines and the "leading tone lines", this expression escapes me right now, the english translation... caramba

+1 (well maybe not the caramba . . . ) smile

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Saw this hilarious video over at all about jazz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krDxhnaKD7Q&feature=youtu.be

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Redux
hey guys, had a jam tonight and realized I need to work on some things. First is counting bars and form for standards. I'm so used to playing solo piano and can tend to wander off. This doesn't work so well with a trio.

I need to find a way to do it in my head. I just can't play and read lead sheets anymore.

Any practice tips on keeping time? For a regular 4/4 time, what's a good way to count in 4 and 8 bar intervals?

I've heard to count just the "1 and and and.. 2 and and and... 3 and and and ..4 and and and ..)

Not sure there's any other solution than to count. I was so afraid to do 'So What' because I was afraid to lose count. Then you just feel it after awhile. Jam sessions really force it on you. I think it's the regular jam sessions that really strengthened my maintenance of the form.

At first I counted in two, per bar. It's good because a lot of chords are 1 per bar with the occasional 2 per bar. So that's the maximum subdivision for most jam tunes.

Then I just felt this two-count in my body and I watch the bass player. I don't even think about it anymore. Pretty amazing because all this happened one year.

When you relax and feel the form in the background, it becomes easy and you feel you're one with the music. At least that's the way it seems to me.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I just recorded a practice session. Lots of repetitiveness and fingers leading the note choices. But moments (maybe brief) of ideas coming out, particularly later. I just kept the LH away so I could concentrate on the rhythm (just like Scott). I think the rhythm improved.

ATTYA Practice Solo
http://www.box.net/s/ps6te1ikk73beeuq34f2

Thoughts?

Jazzwee, sounds good to me! I think it gets better and stays that way from around 2 minutes onward. You mentioned awhile ago about learning bass lines. Why not try recording your own bass lines to play over instead of using the backing track?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Had another trio practice last night. Here's something different we tried... what do you guys think?

http://www.box.com/s/7u4as3h8nuy201epc7te

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice Scott! Nicely played . . love the space.
But, tell drummer to skip the HH, it would have been so much more pleasant without the tchick tchick

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
Saw this hilarious video over at all about jazz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krDxhnaKD7Q&feature=youtu.be

LOL - I have no lick influence so I don't I play that smile Maybe I'm the only one.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Oops, wrong thread -
DELETED

Last edited by jazzwee; 11/18/11 06:32 PM.

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
We're just two old fish swimmin in the same fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
Have we found
the same old fears,
Wish you were hear.

At least that's how I remember the words from foggy evenings many years ago. Great tune.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
So, so you think you can tell Heaven from heck,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?

I love Floyd

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Redux

Red,
here's what I might recommend.
If you have problems keeping the form, listen to a lot of that tune on a record. And play along to it. It's a great way to learn tunes, and their feel. Real books are often written in odd ways anyway, and people have different versions all the time. Like Desafinado, Bluesette, Moment's Notice. Tunes like that you always need to agree on before hand because they're written different based on the book. If you know it one way, someone else might play it another way.

If you have problem with time, then you just need to work with a metronome really slow a lot. That's totally different from keeping the form.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Scott Coletta
Had another trio practice last night. Here's something different we tried... what do you guys think?

http://www.box.com/s/7u4as3h8nuy201epc7te

That sounded great Scott. I think this is the first ballad I've heard from you. I agree with Chris. Love the space. You're not afraid of it. I also like how well you implied the rhythm in the LH.

Since I got this kind of comment once, I will mention too that perhaps some more buildup would be good. I found that hard to do myself because after you start at a certain level, you run out of things to do that are technically within range.

BTW - when I've been doing my ballads at gigs I feel uncomfortable with the space. I only realize it when I listen to it afterwards.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone for listening to my rendition of Wish You Were Here. cool

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Time to book the gigs!

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I just found this. A slowed down version of Chick Corea's Matrix (F Blues) with an analysis. If you listen to it though slowed down to 140 bpm, you can see how pretty his lines are. Seeing it on paper is one thing but hearing it like this, I'm amazed particularly at the rhythmic variety.

My Jazz Blog

O
O
Sorry Jazzwee:)

On topic:
In my way to improvization i kind of see what i have to do but not quite...if i make any sense at all.. Does any body know a clear path to developing this skill especially in terms of left hand tehnique?

Last edited by Ovidiu M; 11/20/11 10:44 AM.
Page 191 of 341 1 2 189 190 191 192 193 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission