2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1999269 12/14/12 06:28 AM
S
Sofos Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Greetings to everyone!
I am about to start learning piano and I would like to hear your opinions about my very first purchase.

My main focus is between 4 models
1)Thomann DP-25 (288Euro)
2)Casio CDP-120 (400Euro)
3)Casio PX-135 (500Euro)
4)Yamaha P-95 (540Euro)

I tried to do my search around the forum and models specs and I some questions occured

First of all, is it possible with the USB MIDI (Casio models) to pass the signal to a PC, adjust the sound through program and then send the sound back to the piano speakers?(is there gonna be a lattency or?)
And if it is possible then the only thing i should care about is the speakers and the keyboard?

Also was looking at CDP-120 and PX-135 Specs and the main differences i spotted are
-PX-135 has a "tri sensor" SWHA keyboard and the CDP has a simple SWHA
-PX-135 uses a Linear Morphing AiF sound source while the CDP-120 uses AHL
-PX-135 has 128 polyphony while CDP-120 has 48
Is it worth to pay 100Euros more for PX-135?

About the Yamaha, is it worth the extra money?Is there any serious reason i should avoid casio?
About the Thomann, can a DP like it cover my needs, and have a decent keyboard?(Kind of afraid to spend money for something I dont have many data about)

Generally, im into classical music.Also I am planning to use the laptop among the DP so the variety of sounds isn't my main concern.
I know my budget is pretty low but im a student and this is the best i can do for now.

Thanks a lot in advance! smile

Άδραξε τη μέρα
C
C
I've try them and all I can say is: Thomann pianos are shite. I can't find a better word to describe them. They are made by Medelli (Honk Kong) and they aren't very playable. You'll waste your money for sure if you buy one.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Go for the PX135!

Do not even consider the Thomman it'll be a rebadged Medelli.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Why?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sofos
First of all, is it possible with the USB MIDI (Casio models) to pass the signal to a PC, adjust the sound through program and then send the sound back to the piano speakers?

When you said "adjust the sound," I first thought you wanted to manipulate the piano's built-in sound using the computer, but reading the rest of what you said, it sounds more like you want to use the piano to trigger a completely different piano sound from the computer, and not use the piano's built-in sound at all, correct?

Assuming that's the case, there are two things you should be clear about. One, you can trigger a computer-based piano sound from any MIDI keyboard... for this purpose, it makes no difference whether the model you choose has USB MIDI or standard 5-pin MIDI ports (or both), it works either way, it's just a matter of different cables. Two, you cannot play the computer sound through the piano's built in speakers unless you select a piano with Audio Input (Line Input) jacks. I don't know Thomann, but none of the other models you mention have that feature. The Casio PX-330 and PX-350 do. Otherwise, you'll have to listen to the sound with headphones or with some speaker system hooked up to your computer.

Also was looking at CDP-120 and PX-135 Specs and the main differences i spotted are

IMO, none of those things really matter, especially in your situation. The advantage of the tri-sensor is subtle and not something you're likely to notice as a new player. (And in fact, there are numerous much more expensive high quality models that lack this feature.) AIF vs AHL describes a technology... whether or not it provides a benefit depends on whether you think it sounds better. And since it looks like you intend to trigger a sound inside your computer anyway, it would seem to be a non-issue either way. And if you're not layering internal sounds (playing multiple built in sounds simultaneously), either has plenty of polyphony, especially for a new user, and again, it sounds like you're going to be using computer sounds anyway.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
In your price range and the options you have presented I would vote for the Casio Px-135.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Originally Posted by anotherscott
First of all, is it possible with the USB MIDI (Casio models) to pass the signal to a PC, adjust the sound through program and then send the sound back to the piano speakers?

When you said "adjust the sound," I first thought you wanted to manipulate the piano's built-in sound using the computer, but reading the rest of what you said, it sounds more like you want to use the piano to trigger a completely different piano sound from the computer, and not use the piano's built-in sound at all, correct?

Assuming that's the case, there are two things you should be clear about. One, you can trigger a computer-based piano sound from any MIDI keyboard... for this purpose, it makes no difference whether the model you choose has USB MIDI or standard 5-pin MIDI ports or both. Two, you cannot play the computer sound through the piano's built in speakers unless you select a piano with Audio Input (Line Input) jacks. I don't know Thomann, but none of the other models you mention have that feature. The Casio PX-330 and PX-350 do. Otherwise, you'll have to listen to the sound with headphones or with some speaker system hooked up to your computer.

IMO, none of those things really matter, especially in your situation. The advantage of the tri-sensor is subtle and not something you're likely to notice as a new player. (And in fact, there are numerous much more expensive high quality models that lack this feature.) AIF vs AHL describes a technology... whether or not it provides a benefit depends on whether you think it sounds better. And since it looks like you intend to trigger a sound inside your computer anyway, it would seem to be a non-issue either way. And if you're not layering internal sounds (playing multiple built in sounds simultaneously), either has plenty of polyphony, especially for a new user, and again, it sounds like you're going to be using computer sounds anyway.

You answered a question I was going to ask. So thank you.. It was the part about the speakers letting the sound of a computer play through them.

If you're planning to use a computer-based piano library, and then passing the computer sounds back to the piano's speakers ... don't.

A piano library can produce better sound than your piano can, so that's a good choice. But it would be a mistake to then spoil it by using the piano's speakers. They're not very good. Instead, use real speakers.

The Casio PX-135 and Yamaha P-95 have been superseded by the PX-150 and P-105 respectively. In the Yamaha, the key feel is fairly similar, but with the P-105 they have improved the sound generation quite a bit, and have better on-board speakers. People have reported that in the Casio the PX-150 has improved the key feel.

You'd expect the prices of the old models to have dropped quite bit since the new models have been out for a while, so I just wonder if you are really getting a good deal on those ones. The P-95 isn't really offering much above the new P-35, which should easily sell for less than 450 euro.

S
Sofos Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Finally decided to go for the PX-135!
Two more questions!
1) Am I gonna really need now or in the near future (~2 years) the 3 pedals instead of the one that's include?
2) Have you ever seen how's the white colour on the Privia?Is it worth it?(I know it depends from person to person, just some opinions)

Thanks smile

Άδραξε τη μέρα
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A

1) Am I gonna really need now or in the near future (~2 years) the 3 pedals instead of the one that's include?

Unlikely.

S
Sofos Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The things are like this, because i dont have much money available i wanted something entry level with a fine keyboard (GWHA) just to be able to move to a real GP in the future.
I stumbled upon Casio CDP-120.After some search on other threads and your advices i realized PX-135 would be a better deal for 100 euro more for the things offered!
Now i was watching PX-330 and thought with same logic that it may be worth 100 more as it's more of a "complete" DP.

The truth though is that i feel im being pushed by damn naderism!

So what are the major differences between PX-135 and PX-330.Worth a sacrifice of 100+ euros?(~ 600)
Please share with me your insights!

Άδραξε τη μέρα
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Nah you may not need the extra pedals for a while.

I've experimented with them on grand pianos I find, but seldom need to use them.

However in the box they will probably give you an SP3 pedal which sucks!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
In a nutshell the 330 has more bells and whistles.

It also has better speakers and an SD card slot.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
i wanted something entry level with a fine keyboard (GWHA)

GWHA? I'm guessing that G stands for graded. As it happens, the keyboards you're looking at have that feature, but it is not essential, and does not determine a fine keyboard. The Yamaha NW action on the CP-1 and CP-5 are not graded, and I think everyone would agree they are better than the keyboards in the CDP-120 and PX-130. So don't get too hung up on things in spec sheets.

I stumbled upon Casio CDP-120.After some search on other threads and your advices i realized PX-135 would be a better deal for 100 euro more for the things offered!

If you're only using it to trigger a piano sound in a computer, the PX-135 has very little advantage over the CDP-120. If you are using its built in sounds, then you should listen to the two with your own ears to see if you think the PX-135 sounds 100 euro better.

So what are the major differences between PX-135 and PX-330.Worth a sacrifice of 100+ euros?

All the feature differences are listed online at the Casio web site and in the freely downloadable manuals. There are a lot more features on the PX-330, you'd have to decide which are important to you. For the purpose you described at the top, the biggest advantage of the PX-330 is that you would be able to feed the computer's piano sound back into its speakers. As has been mentioned, that may not be the ideal way to hear that sound anyway, but it can be a convenient feature to have. Also, some people like the feeling of having the sound coming out of the piano's speakers (and may even choose to have the sound come out of the piano's speakers and some higher quality playback system simultaneously). Or aesthetically or for other practical purpose, there may sometimes be no desirable way for you to use other speakers.

Assuming that using the internal speakers for the computer sound is not essential, if you want to consider an upgrade from the PX-135, instead of the PX-330, you might want to look at the PX-150. It has an entirely different action, which most people think is a substantial improvement over that in the PX-135/PX-330 or CDP-120. If you want the better action and also the ability to feed a computer sound back into its speakers (and other benefits along the lines of those in the PX-330), then you'd be looking at the PX-350.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission