Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#1999274 - 12/14/12 06:07 AM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: wr]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wr

This is getting kind of sad - I'm outta here.

For once, we're in total agreement grin.

Let's get back to classical music, and the piano.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1999285 - 12/14/12 07:06 AM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: DAVE_250]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I've always adhered naturally to a healthy diet..lately I've been taking steroids.. yuk... and crave things like onion rings, deep fried mushrooms, hamburgers. I am supposed to gain weight but just hate it. (love the deep fried mushrooms tho). I certainly notice a difference in how i feel. I like an austere diet. all these extra calories make my tummy hurt and i feel so lack luster.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1999366 - 12/14/12 10:34 AM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: apple*]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
Yes, op, there is a healthy diet that can improve your playing! It will also improve your health in general and greatly reduce your chances of suffering or dying from heart disease, diabetes, obesity and other illnesses, which are directly related to the disgusting "food" we put in our mouths nowadays. This diet will also greatly improve the chance of this planet remaining inhabitable, as well as ending the unimaginable suffering of the other sentient animals with whom we share this fragile earth. The consequences of us not adopting this lifestyle are already very much in evidence, if we chose to open our eyes to the reality... which tragically, most of mankind is not.

...Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight

#1999378 - 12/14/12 11:26 AM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: DAVE_250]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
My wife is a vegetarian though I am not. I do understand the ethical considerations and have seen many documentaries on the abuse and general poor treatment of industrial farm animals. (A friend of mine here was a government inspector of a slaughterhouse and arranged for me to have a private tour. I strongly encourage everyone to tour a slaughterhouse. It's a numbing experience.)

I don't have a strong view on this but our ancestors were not vegans and we did not evolve to be vegetarians. I do eat fish, chicken, and meat and try to buy organically raised products.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1999394 - 12/14/12 12:18 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: DAVE_250]
5000 Post Club Member

Yes, homo sapiens weren't evolved to be vegans, which is why vegans need vitamin and mineral supplementation to avoid health problems. The best diet for both health and environment is pescetarianism, which is actually what many (- ?most) Japanese are on, and they are the people with the highest life expectancy in the world.

Just avoid endangered species like bluefin tuna; there are many species of fish that are in abundance but unfortunately many people don't eat them.

You really don't need meat from land animals or diary in your diet.

#1999402 - 12/14/12 12:40 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: bennevis]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
I could easily become vegetarian, but how does one become vegan and give up delicious CHEESE ????

Life without feta cheese? No freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano on (whole wheat) pasta? No ooey-gooey mozzarella on pizza(thick crust, only) ? No Greek saganaki appetizer EVER? I don't know....

I make serious attempts to eat healthy, but shamelessly admit to believing food is one of life's pleasures. Must be the Greek in me.

#1999463 - 12/14/12 03:14 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: piano joy]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
There is actually a difference between vegetarian and vegan. Vegans don't eat any products that come from animals, vegetarians just don't eat meat, poultry and seafood, but they do eat cheese and eggs, so you can become a vegetarian! smile

Music is my best friend.

#1999473 - 12/14/12 03:32 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: bennevis]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
Originally Posted By: bennevis
Yes, homo sapiens weren't evolved to be vegans, which is why vegans need vitamin and mineral supplementation to avoid health problems.

...nothing compared with the health problems caused by the vast quantities of cholesterol consumed nowadays and which is only found in animal meat and fluids. B12 and D2 are the most important supplements vegans need, all other essential vitamins and minerals are found in abundance - and better quality - in a well balanced plant-based diet , such as my wife and I eat. We only need B12 supplements because of the sanitised lives we lead nowadays, which means that we do not get the vitamin naturally from bacteria, as do the animals. And D3 is largely derived from sheep's wool, for goodness sake! Incidentally we've never enjoyed our food so much, so much so that we no longer even miss cheese! I'm 61 and have never been healthier (my doctor is amazed at my blood chemistry).

Of course it's for everyone to make their own informed decision about the life they lead, including the food they eat. Having said this, the cruelty and scale of the factory farming of intelligent animals (including fish), with its associated huge pollution, is the greatest crime on earth in my opinion. My fear is that enlightenment and acceptance of the stark truth, although growing, will come too late - far too late for our delicate ecosystems to recover.

My best to you all.

#1999513 - 12/14/12 06:11 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: DAVE_250]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I work in a vegan shop and a lot of our customers don't look particularly healthy. Perhaps they haven't done enough research. A friend of mine a few years ago decided to go vegan, but she rather naively sought no dietary advice, she just cut everything out. Two weeks later she became extremely ill.

I could never give up cheese. Or honey, goodness me they don't even sell honey.

#1999523 - 12/14/12 06:33 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: debrucey]
MarkH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: debrucey
I work in a vegan shop and a lot of our customers don't look particularly healthy. Perhaps they haven't done enough research.

What you're describing could be reverse causality as well: some of them could have assorted health issues that they are trying to fix through modifying their diet.

#1999794 - 12/15/12 12:02 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: cruiser]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: cruiser
Originally Posted By: bennevis
Yes, homo sapiens weren't evolved to be vegans, which is why vegans need vitamin and mineral supplementation to avoid health problems.

...nothing compared with the health problems caused by the vast quantities of cholesterol consumed nowadays and which is only found in animal meat and fluids. B12 and D2 are the most important supplements vegans need, all other essential vitamins and minerals are found in abundance - and better quality - in a well balanced plant-based diet , such as my wife and I eat. We only need B12 supplements because of the sanitised lives we lead nowadays, which means that we do not get the vitamin naturally from bacteria, as do the animals. And D3 is largely derived from sheep's wool, for goodness sake! Incidentally we've never enjoyed our food so much, so much so that we no longer even miss cheese! I'm 61 and have never been healthier (my doctor is amazed at my blood chemistry).

Of course it's for everyone to make their own informed decision about the life they lead, including the food they eat. Having said this, the cruelty and scale of the factory farming of intelligent animals (including fish), with its associated huge pollution, is the greatest crime on earth in my opinion. My fear is that enlightenment and acceptance of the stark truth, although growing, will come too late - far too late for our delicate ecosystems to recover.

My best to you all.

The omega 3 fatty acids from fish and seafood (EPA and DHA) is different from that in the plants that contain these like flaxseed (ALA), which isn't found to offer the kind of cardio-protective and anti-inflammatory effects. We eat the wrong ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 in the West, which vegan diets don't do much to reverse. There is a (very high-dose) omega 3 supplement which is currently prescribed to people following heart attacks to reduce the risk of a subsequent attack in the immediate aftermath, which is entirely derived from fish/seafood, and is also used to treat people with high levels of triglycerides.

As for those unable to stop eating cheese, just think of it as salted lard. It tastes like that to me..... grin

#1999808 - 12/15/12 12:38 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: DAVE_250]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

As long as you're mentioning fat ... smile

By the way, my grandmother cooked with lard and butter ... she lived to be 95.

I've watched this twice ...

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1999813 - 12/15/12 12:50 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: Dave Horne]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

I've watched this twice ...

You've confirmed what I've suspected from your post about your cholesterol level - you have inherited great genes. (I hope you're passing them on....grin). Just like our Royal Family.

I'm not jealous.... cry

#1999814 - 12/15/12 12:54 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: DAVE_250]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Lard is nice. I cook chips in it and occasionally make pastry with it.

#1999819 - 12/15/12 01:11 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: Dave Horne]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

I still cook with lard and butter. I wouldn't use anything but lard for a pie crust.

#1999841 - 12/15/12 01:52 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: Damon]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

I still cook with lard and butter. I wouldn't use anything but lard for a pie crust.

Nor would I.
That's why I don't make pies grin. I prefer to munch on them, like the mince pie that's in my mouth right now....

#1999852 - 12/15/12 02:09 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: Damon]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

You know, since I recently started cooking with butter I am always reminded of my grandmother ... the smell of butter cooking triggers memories from my childhood.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1999869 - 12/15/12 02:53 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: Dave Horne]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
You know, since I recently started cooking with butter I am always reminded of my grandmother ... the smell of butter cooking triggers memories from my childhood.
Aww. 3hearts It's interesting how smells trigger memories.

Deborah

#1999879 - 12/15/12 03:14 PM Re: Is diet underestimated [Re: DAVE_250]
Birgitte Offline

Loc: Norway
After I started rock climbing I hace actually gotten better technically at the piano... I guess a greater arm strenght gives a better velocity. I normally have long school days combined with staying at school afterwards to study and play the piano. If I don't eat well, work out or sleep well I would notice it in my performance level at once. I think and belive that a healthy life is extremely important to perform, and also prevent injuries.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, 36251, AZ_Astro, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1303 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76031 Members
42 Forums
157205 Topics
2308870 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
24 minutes 13 seconds ago
Upgrading a Yamaha Silent Series piano
by pianelmo
Today at 07:14 AM
Stuck in method books.
by Chris H.
Today at 06:45 AM
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
Today at 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
Today at 01:54 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission