2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 226 of 370 1 2 224 225 226 227 228 369 370

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone for your good wishes and congrats! It means so much to me. Love the postings too! I am hoping to write up more details about the performance a little later this week. Right now, I am helping some of my colleagues solve a small problem we need to have worked out before morning. I've also heard a rumor that someone in the audience last night did video tape my performance with a phone device. I am trying to see if I can get a copy. I will let you know how that is coming along. I'll be back later after I get this other little work project solved! Cheers!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LUCAS! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I need a fix!

I was first introduced to Pat Benatar by Dave Lee Travis, DJ on UK's Radio 1, back in 1979. He played Heartbreaker one Sunday morning. I don't remember ever hearing Patti again on the radio. I picked up all her albums from then on by being in record stores.

It's hard to believe this multi grammy winning artist had such a small following in the UK.
She led the way for women in rock. A small stature with a huge voice that was so versatile. The music often took unexpected turns - there was great imagination in the songwriting.

Here's a little something from Pat Benatar.

While there's nothing special about it on paper the singing is excellent, as you'd expect from a classically trained coloratura, but it's the guitar solo that lifts this song above the ordinary.

It was a trademark of George Harrison to dovetail the solo into place musically (as opposed to sticking something flashy on top á la Yngwie Malmsteen) but here it's done with greater technical skill than our George could muster. It is well copied by budding guitar virtuosos. A classic.

PPP, we haven't been formally introduced, but I am a Latinist. I've been meaning to ask if there's something going on in your signature. It's not where you'd normally expect to find a spelling mistake.

Richard

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good morning everyone! I enjoyed Pat Benatar, Richard. I must admit I had not listened to much of her music. However, I always enjoyed everything I heard when I had opportunities to hear her. Thanks, I'll pay more more attention to some of her other performances.

I'm just dropping by today and will check in through the day. We have a big project underway at work which will keep me occupied with no time for postings. However, things should ease up considerably by Friday and I will be able to do some more postings by then.

I am still trying to see if there is a video of my piano performance. I will keep you posted on how that's coming along. Off to work I go!

Have a great day everyone!

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z

Respects to Griffin, commiserations to Schumann!

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
We do not have "grammatical and spelling" concerns here Richard, not on this thread! if Wayne was about ( where is wayne?) you would see large allowences are made!

Life is too short!

And also PPP may call "shanannigans" should spelling errors be pointed out, this is a music forum, not an English language forum.

Also, I could not post, my puctuation sucks, my spelling is atrocious, and my grammer is probably incorrect... Poor PPP .

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I do not, as a rule, concern myself over other people's spelling or grammar, Rossy. Life, as you say, is too short and many of the posters are either not native English speakers or in the case of our colonial friends, British English spellers.
Furthermore, I understand the speed with which posts are typed is not conducive to either one idea throughout a whole sentence or worthy of proof-reading.

But in a signature, which is frequently seen, I thought there might be something like a private joke involved.

Jus' me being nosey! Please, excuse...

Richard
C
C
A lot of the music posted here has me reminiscing.

In 1980, without really planning it, some friends and I wandered out to the Stone Pony after a day at the amusement park to catch a small show by a band in their waning years. It wasn't exactly a revival tour, but Sam and Dave received some renewed interest in part thanks to Belushi and Aykroyd (aka the Blues Brothers).

That was the first time I saw anything more than some high-school garage band live and in person. They weren't as big (in every sense) as this performance from 1967:

p.s. My PX330 arrived yesterday!

Last edited by cheechako; 04/04/12 05:38 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Cheechako, congrats on your PX 330, it’s a nice digital piano. I wish you enjoy it for long time.

Here we can listen to the “Fandango en modo dórico” by Scarlatti. The virtuosity required on the harpsichord to play this piece is amazing.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
It's gone midnight here in Ireland and my little acre of Wicklow is still covered in snow. I'm not sure if it's Christmas or Easter.

I'm about to climb the little wooden hill and just need something tranquil. This is appropriate for me. I hope it works for you.

Congratulations on your PX330, Cheechako. May you enjoy it long in good health!

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90

PPP, we haven't been formally introduced, but I am a Latinist. I've been meaning to ask if there's something going on in your signature. It's not where you'd normally expect to find a spelling mistake.

Wow! I did not notice that. Yes, intelligo should be spelled intellego. This is no joke on my part, just (a rather ironic) human error. If the English language did not insist on spelling intelligent with that letter i, which is pronounced (more or less) the same as the Latin e (assuming one lives in in Canada and is west of the province of Quebec), I doubt I would have made such a mistake.

Normally, as Rossy intimated, I roll my eyes at people who correct spelling and grammar on internet forums, but since that was such a perspicacious (gazoontite) catch, I am willing to forgo my usual disdain.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Oh dear....it's contagious!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
p.s. is there an award for shortest post ever on this thread?

-the Beatles

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
No.

Richard
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
[Linked Image]

-the Beatles

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Sorry if I've opened a can of worms, everybody. Piano joy, I'm sure this just a passing phase.

PPP, thank you for not rebuking me. My, my! I'm SO glad I didn't learn Latin that way!

Without wishing to overdo the amount of Tull I'm posting, here's a gentle something suggested by the current Irish weather.

Richard

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Sorry to be away guys. The electricity was off all day yesterday - my electrician was doing all the works for the office/music room/library - and no electricity also means no interweb. My cork stuff has arrived, and I've been tearing up old carpet and underlay...

Jethro Tull: A number of years ago, I had the misfortune to be invited onto a music industry panel, organised by one of the music rights collection societies here in the UK. On that panel was also a certain Mr Ian Whatsisface of Jethro Tull. I did some research on him, and found that he didn't like giving his band members any rights (read copyright) in anything, so they often ended up poor and destitute. The panel was about rights, but Mr Ian Whatsisface was only concerned about his own rights, and cared not a stuff for others who helped to make his millions. After that, I felt a little differently about the guy, and his band.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
deleted. crazy

Last edited by piano joy; 04/05/12 01:30 PM.

-the Beatles

C
C
Back in the early 80's, after high school, I made my first attempt at doing more than just listening to music. I bought a flute and sax, and even took a few private flute lessons. All of that lasted less than a year, though, and I gave up until getting my keyboard a year ago.

The only thing I remember from flute lessons was that my instructor really, REALLY did not like Ian Anderson's style, and Ian was one of the primary reasons I was interested in the flute.

Years later, I still like Tull, still can't play any flute, but have discovered a lot more than just Mr. Anderson.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PPP, its good to see those three girls ar better at nailing latin than they are at singing...which was sort of just a fail.. not even an epic fail.

Why we love "epic fails" ( by rostosky)

Epic fails are excellent for boosting low self esteem in an individual, because we can acknowledge that we are not as stupid as the person who accomplished the epic fail.

Epic fails that result in serious but non life threatening physical injuries , are the best, because we get to see the epic failer getting a sort of punishment for being an inadequate.

Predicting how an epic fail will end in advance of the actual "fail" part gives a great sense of satisfaction and imparts a lot of self worth to the predicter.

However, if we dont want to ever be a part of an epic failing escapade, we have to continually remind ourselves that life Hides banana skins in the most unlikeliest of places, awareness of this fact is the key.
later dudes and dudettes.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Page 226 of 370 1 2 224 225 226 227 228 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission