2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, FredrikNilsen, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
This one's for Kathy (otherwise known as "Playagain), who put me on to this arrangement last year, I think it was... ...and after I blabbed about it in the other "Silver Bells" thread , she was happy to ask to hear it.

I am happy to share it. Please consider this "a statement of artistic intentions," as it is not as worked up as I had thought. blush (I have an idea for the interpretation, but the finer points of the dynamics and pedalling are eluding me at the moment.) Still, the piano tuning part of it all is getting better, bit by bit, perhaps, maybe, possibly, I hope.

This was recorded on the Lester with the little Tascam DP-004 using the built in condensor mics, after a day of chasing down fuzzy unisons and wonky intervals. grin

Hope you like it!

"Silver Bells" -- Shearing arr.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
P
P
Thanks, Andy!!! I love it! It is so, so pretty! You play it beautifully!
What a treat! I've listened to it several times already. It's such a pretty arrangement, and I love the way you play it.
Thanks, again!!!
Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
P
P
Andy,
You are making me really like the George Shearing arrangements. Looking at the piece, I didn't think it would sound so pretty. I think a lot of his arrangements don't seem to look like they are really melodious, but it's all in how you play them, and it looks like there is definitely an art to it! You've got it!

I love that old vintage White Christmas piece you posted--I was lucky to get some of the older Christmas music from family. Have you ever seen the other White Christmas Irving Berlin piano solo version from that same time period? It's copyright 1942. It's is so pretty. It also includes the intro part--it's the first page of the piano solo.

Thanks, again!!!
Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Playagain
I think a lot of his arrangements don't seem to look like they are really melodious, but it's all in how you play them, and it looks like there is definitely an art to it! [...]

Art, or artiface, perhaps!... crazy I think the thing with these Shearing arrangements that we're talking about--the very accessible ones written for the mass market in the spinet heyday--is to know the song. Then, it's a matter of letting the "Shearing" aspect support the song, not define it.

I was born toward the end of that heyday and often have to find a rather "definitive" version of one song or another if it is unfamiliar to me, listening until it is firmly in my head before puzzling out the music as it appears in the Shearing books. Love those chords, though! grin

Many thanks for your encouragements! And, speaking of Irving Belin, no, I am not familiar with the 1942 piano solo version of "White Christmas." Perhaps you should record it! laugh

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
P
P
Andy,
HAHA! I'll email it to you, and maybe you can record it. smile

That's a great idea to listen to a definitive version of the song first so you really know it. I've become familiar with lots of the American Songbook type songs now, but not jazzy versions, which I think can also give you another look at how the piece can sound. My brother is really into jazz. I should borrow some of his cds.

If you're ever in St. Louis on a Sunday or Monday night in July or early August, you should check out the Compton Heights Concert Band (www.chband.org) in Tower Grove Park or Francis Park. My brother has been a member for over 30 years. Then you have to go to Ted Drewes afterwards for a frozen custard. smile

Kathy

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission