Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1997954 - 12/11/12 03:38 PM Your Favorite Collections in your Library
Jermdog10 Offline

Loc: Lincoln
I have a unique situation...

I work at a music store at which I receive a very good discount on sheet music. I am quitting this post, and as of Saturday, my discount will expire along with my job. That being said, I wanted to see what the community considered some collections they absolutely loved and consider a cornerstone in their library.

I look forward to the responses,

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1998017 - 12/11/12 06:26 PM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
You should have good editions of Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Debussy, Haydn, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Ravel, Schubert, Schumann, and anyone else who strikes your fancy.

#1998120 - 12/12/12 12:02 AM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
If I had your gig, I would be buying music of Debussy, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Prokofiev, & Scriabin, but that's because I don't have much by any of them currently.

My Beethoven Sonata's are of course well loves, as are my Chopin Etudes, Nocturnes, Waltzes, and Preludes. My Bach WTC is still being broken in...

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1998122 - 12/12/12 12:22 AM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
Well, what do you want that you don't have? smile

If it were me, I'd go for whatever I'd been thinking of getting lately, without regard to what seemed to be "cornerstones" -- including because all the cornerstones would be a huge amount of stuff, and if I could buy that much stuff, even with a discount, I probably wouldn't need to be worrying about discounts!

What I'd get now: Maybe some Clementi sonatas, maybe some Henselt stuff if the store had it.

#1998125 - 12/12/12 12:26 AM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Right now I really love the Cooper edition of Beethoven's Sonatas, but I do like all my kids in the cabinet. smile

Music is my best friend.

#1999284 - 12/14/12 07:00 AM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
don't forget to own a Scarlatti book.. his music is so pleasant.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#1999295 - 12/14/12 07:38 AM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
My Henle scherzi is my prized possession.

#1999357 - 12/14/12 10:26 AM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
asthecrowflies Offline

Loc: London, Cambridge, San Francis...
Barenreiter's editions of Bach's Partitas, WTC, etc are top notch. you can't ask for a better Bach for ease of reading, fingering, and quality of material (debatable, perhaps).

#1999897 - 12/15/12 03:58 PM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: asthecrowflies]
Jermdog10 Offline

Loc: Lincoln
Thank you all for your fine answers!

Apple*: after posting, I actually am going to purchase a collection of Scarlatti sonatas because I don't own one. And I've been lusting (too strong a word?) after them for a few months now. Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions! I will continue to mull over the information.

Thanks again,

#1999905 - 12/15/12 04:09 PM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: asthecrowflies]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: asthecrowflies
Barenreiter's editions of Bach's Partitas, WTC, etc are top notch. you can't ask for a better Bach for ease of reading, fingering, and quality of material (debatable, perhaps).

I was somewhat surprised and not a little disappointed that some recently ordered Bärenreiter "Authoritative Performing Editions" of Debussy are stapled rather than sewn. These are editions with 60 to 70 pages. I would expect that of an edition of just 8 or 12 pages, but not volumes as large as these.

Regards,

#2000130 - 12/16/12 06:50 AM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: BruceD]
asthecrowflies Offline

Loc: London, Cambridge, San Francis...
Hmm, that is somewhat surprising. Is that because they're "performing editions"? And Stapled is easier to keep open than sewn?

that said, i agree that i can't think of any respectable edition that is more than a dozen pages and stapled.

#2000224 - 12/16/12 11:54 AM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: asthecrowflies]
BruceD Offline

Hmm, that is somewhat surprising. Is that because they're "performing editions"? And Stapled is easier to keep open than sewn?

Just the opposite, actually. In my experience, at least, a well-bound sewn edition (Henle, for example) lies much flatter on the music stand than these new Bärenreiter stapled editions (52 pages and 70 pages). Because each page is part of a double-page sheet folded in the centre, the natural tendency of the book is to close. The only way to get the book to stay open is to open it at the centre pages, fold it back, then turn to the pages you wish to read, and fold the volume back again before putting it on the music stand. This will, in very short order, weaken the centre pages and/or the cover at the staples, and soon centre pages will be falling out.

That said, the scholarship is quite remarkable; half of each of these volumes is dedicated (in German, English and French) to :
in the case of "Pour le Piano"
- genesis and publication history
- discussion of the work
- aesthetics and performance practie
- notes on the edition
- the sources
- translation of performance instruction

and, in the case of "Children's Corner"
- introduction
- genesis
- title and musical allusions
- aesthetics and performance practices
- editorial principles
- the sources

all very informative and worthwhile additions to the music.

that said, i agree that i can't think of any respectable edition that is more than a dozen pages and stapled.

My Peters edition of the Schubert Impromptus (76 pages) is stapled and, over the years of use - although it's been relegated to the shelf after I purchased the Henle for the above-mentioned reasons - the centre pages are still intact but the cover has separated from the staples.

Regards,

#2000230 - 12/16/12 12:27 PM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
One of my most used collections, is his dover Chopin book, with solo works, sort of a "greatest hits" of Chopin that covers major works from the many styles he composed it. I have used it more then any other book surprisingly, that and my Henle editions of Bach and Beethoven.

#2000490 - 12/16/12 10:57 PM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: BruceD]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

I was somewhat surprised and not a little disappointed that some recently ordered Bärenreiter "Authoritative Performing Editions" of Debussy are stapled rather than sewn. These are editions with 60 to 70 pages. I would expect that of an edition of just 8 or 12 pages, but not volumes as large as these.

If you want, you can find out what sort of binding they use on any given product at their website, before you order it.

#2000498 - 12/16/12 11:33 PM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: wr]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: wr
Originally Posted By: BruceD

If you want, you can find out what sort of binding they use on any given product at their website, before you order it.

So I see; it was not something I thought of checking when I ordered. It seems that many of their publications are now stapled. Makes me hesitate to purchase Barenreiter in the future.

Regards,

#2000501 - 12/16/12 11:39 PM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Stapled is definitely cheaper, especially if you go for low numbers in printing... I should know that.

But up to 60 pages (or so) it's very reasonable to have staples and do not create a problem really, as far as I'm aware.

Because I'm planning on the release of a couple of bigger books (80 and more than 100 pages) so I'm definitely looking into my options for sewed back and hard cover, but it's not easy to do in small numbers and it's rather expensive (I tend to repeat myself, right?)

#2000556 - 12/17/12 03:44 AM Re: Your Favorite Collections in your Library [Re: Jermdog10]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I have the Henle clothbound Beethoven Sonatas, the full set of Chopin's works from PWM by Ekier, and Clara Schumann's edition of Robert's solo piano works. Beyond that, it's a hodgepodge of whatever editions I found that I liked enough to buy when I wanted them. I think every piece by Debussy is a different edition, and same for Bach.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Staying in one position for too long - tension
by DeadPoets
19 minutes 39 seconds ago
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
Today at 05:10 AM
recording digital piano
by johan d
Today at 03:38 AM
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
Who's Online
59 registered (36251, anotherscott, andwi, 11 invisible), 1145 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158409 Topics
2326281 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission