2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 280 of 341 1 2 278 279 280 281 282 340 341
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
ummm jazz wee! remember too! things we apply force to often break! which is why bird is such a great model! because you can hear. as ive been saying, that he sounds great REGARDLESS of who's playing with.

ahhhh!!!! one more way forward ... and completely different (and of course not always possible!).... find another gig! and then hire a bass player who does really listen and support his or her bandmates.

in the meantime, patience!!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
printer1, thank you for being here. Your words of advice are deep and well understood (I think). Since you are new to this forum, just look up at the top. I have left you a PM (private message).

Anyway, rather than talk in theory, I've tried to analyze what's happening. Here's a recording. Please feel free to criticize deeply because I'm never afraid of it, regardless of how harsh. I always end up being better because of it.

There Will Never Be Another You
https://www.box.com/s/9ul4fnqcbr3qyh6ogxgs

The swing seemed fine initially. Then during my solo, the rhythm section reverted to an "open" style. This may be my fault as I encourage less stiffness there. But I think the groove faltered there and it obviously affects me.

I'm also not pleased with my usual microtiming issues.

The rhythm section also affects my articulation.

I hate my articulation and tone. I don't know where to start. I don't have that "rounded" legato sound for sure that you mention. Things falter in a live situation.

And it's not like my solo was working too. I've taken a break from gigs for a few weeks this holiday season so I can woodshed for a bit.

So please everyone, critique away so I can have a focused woodshed session. I'm building a faults list.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Anyone play Inner Urge? I started to learn the head yesterday and man, that is some tough head. Looks like it requires quite a bit of practice to play at the tempos I've heard.

Also with all those Lydian chords and non-functional progressions, it really looks interesting to work on.

Scep -- right down your alley?

I'll check it out soon, but in the meantime I'm making my xmas tunes sound good. I find that challenging enough these days. Nothing like playing for sing alongs in F# Major and accidentally sticking in a b7 or #11 where they ought not to be.
It's this kind of thing that makes me more honest with myself as to whether I really can hear intervals in tempo, and whether I really do know how chords work within any key.

I'd encourage all other jazz pianists to try the same. It ain't jazz, but it's close enough.;)

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Scep,
I'm headed to a trio gig where the request is 100% Christmas Jazz. Now I didn't grow up here, so I don't even know how the Rudolf tune goes ... That promises to be entertaining, in more ways than one!

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Hi buddy, listen you're being way to heard on yourself. You're playing nice, man! Nothing at all wrong with your tone, etc.

Here are 2 improv concepts that can make a(sorry)Huge difference if interested:

1) "Feeling in fours" -when creating your line, intentionally try to create a longer line, grouping the 1/8 notes in groups of four with a slight accent on the first of the four. A pnuematic device you can use in your cabeza is to say the words "Slice of pizza" to yourself as you improvise, and group the notes along with the words..Slice of pizza, Slice of pizza, etc. The 3 types of lines you can create, lenghtwise, are :

1) a short line 1-2 meas.
2) A medium line- 3-4 meas. (of continuous 1/8ths, no rest)
3) A long line - anything over 4 bars.

At the moment you're creating mostly shorter lines, if you try to play a longer line made up of continuous 1/8ths, and group them in 4 with a slight natural accent on the first of the four, it will be very hip..

Also, it's nice to incorporate both scales and arpeggios into your line, naturally mixed together freely. Now you're using mostly scale notes. The arpeggios to incorporate into your line would be the basic 1357, and the extensions- 3579.. The line can be like a yin-yang sign with scale-ish then arpeggio-ish movements blending into each other..

Blessings and keep swingin

Dave Frank

Last edited by davefrank; 12/15/12 07:04 PM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Dave, I appreciate your response and kind words and I'll give your comments deep analysis and woodshedding.

Funny you say my lines are short. Some are actually too long I thought later on. I also thought I wasn't breaking out melodic ideas well (a very common problem with me). Seems too like I'm shying away from arpeggiating when playing live. I'll add more of that.

BTW - Knotty mentioned "Slice of Pizza" to me before but I didn't understand the context back then. I understand now.

Great advice and Thank you!

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by printer1
custard apple!

find ANY WK transcriptions on the web. there are a whole bunch out there (just google "wynton kelly transcription". you could just choose one or two phrases w/triplets from any of the solos you find. then practice those few phrases until you really like the feel you've developed. you'll know when you have it! if you can find a freddie the freeloader transcription, that's one one gem among many ....

actually, you could do the same w/passages from the omnibook. charlie parker has unbelievable ways of playing triplets. so, again, just find a passage or two that you like or and practice the phrases until you like the way it feels. much more important to master something small than to play something much longer without mastery!

it's also good to transpose whatever phrases you choose into all 12 keys. but if that's difficult to start, don't worry about it. maybe just transpose PART of the phrase ... the important part, again, is gain mastery over something, no matter how small! over time, that expertise with something small with lead to expertise with something just a little larger. and if it seems like it's taking a long time, well, that's just the way it is!

these little tiny gains, one at a time, slow at first but faster and faster as you keep at it all add up.

one more thing about speed ... hal galper has a great book called "forward motion." in that book he talks about dizzy gillespie who said something like the faster you play the slower you should think. which is to say, all the slow work you're doing now does translate to faster tempos late ....

hope this helps!

Hey Prints
Thanks very much for your help. I didn't know Freddie the Freeloader before but will start singing it today. You are right - Wynton's solo is amazingly awesome.
I also like your idea of transposing just one phrase, as I do take quite a while to transcribe in the original key, and then to transpose. I will start transposing into C and F.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The Joe Henderson tune, "Inner Urge" is one my favorites. I used to play it a lot 15-20 years ago. I just started playing it again after many years away from it...I have a new found love for it.

Kenny Barron told me he practiced it in 2 different sections.

The F#m7 b5 to Fmaj 7 b5 to the Eb & Db maj 7 b5.
Then the one bar per chord sequence with--EMaj7b5 to Db maj7b5...D to B etc.
He said he would often isolate that latter sequence and practice/play has a warmup. Start slow, keep looping it and build it up to faster tempo.

A challenging song for sure.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
The Joe Henderson tune, "Inner Urge" is one my favorites. I used to play it a lot 15-20 years ago. I just started playing it again after many years away from it...I have a new found love for it.

Kenny Barron told me he practiced it in 2 different sections.

The F#m7 b5 to Fmaj 7 b5 to the Eb & Db maj 7 b5.
Then the one bar per chord sequence with--EMaj7b5 to Db maj7b5...D to B etc.
He said he would often isolate that latter sequence and practice/play has a warmup. Start slow, keep looping it and build it up to faster tempo.

A challenging song for sure.

Yes. It looks like a good challenge. The initial problem is getting that head under the fingers. The 16th arpeggios at the end appear to be a pain.

My Jazz Blog

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
... actually, the whole album Kind of Blue) w/FF is way way past amazing! ... about

:: transposing ... anything you do w/transposing is worthwhile. ... really ANYTHING (everything!)

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
a few things about inner urge..

1. the difference betwwen f#mb5 and fMb5 (the scale) is one note!

2. the diff between EbMb5 and DbMb5 (the scale) is two notes!

3. diff between M7b5 chords a minor 3rd apart. (which are in II... ) is 3 notes!

4. getting things under the fingers ... hand and arm should move first .... so fingers are over the notes they'll play. that's better than moving fingers first the notes and then letting hand and arm catch up)

5. transcribing JH's solo on IU ... even if only just a phrase or two ... may unlock the keys the kingdom (possibly .... smile ... possibly not smile ....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I beg to differ.
Approaching those two chords on a chord/scale relationship level it's two notes.

F#m7(b5): F# G# A B C D E (locrian #2)
Fmaj7(B5): F G A B C D E (lydian)

But heck, what is a note more or less amongst friends. smile

Great to have you with us printer1! It's refreshing with another voice . . .

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by davefrank
Hi buddy, listen you're being way to heard on yourself. You're playing nice, man! Nothing at all wrong with your tone, etc . . . . . . The line can be like a yin-yang sign with scale-ish then arpeggio-ish movements blending into each other..
Well put Dave!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
no need to beg to differ!

you're right of course. using the scale you mention changes relationship among common tones in the modes.

BUT ... from an 'as simple/basic as possible' point of view the simpler analysis (1common note instead of 2) is, well, simpler, more basic. add to that the mystery ... which is G# isn't in the melody over the F# chord (neither is G natural).

well, some questions could be: which of the 2 scales did joe henderson use when soloing? or mccoy tyner? the answer could be many things, including NEITHER of those scales!

musically, what does more, rather than less, common tones let us do? ... smoother voiceleading between chords and scales. is that smoother voice leading desirable? well, it's simpler and more basic so in that sense more foundational.

BUT none of what i'm saying above obviates the simple fact that if you HEAR the G# in that scale you cite as the note of choice, well then you should use it!

it may also be that JH didn't put that G# in the beginning of the head because he preferred the ambiguity .... which is to say the possibility of both!

anyway, chris, you're quite right to point out a different approach - the more ways we have the better -and i'd be very surprised if someone somewhere hasn't applied the G# in exactly the way you suggest! (and then let that one note propogate in the transpositions of the other modes ....

in fact, i'm off to the piano (and spotify) now to play & listen and try those differences!

Originally Posted by chrisbell

I beg to differ.
Approaching those two chords on a chord/scale relationship level it's two notes.

F#m7(b5): F# G# A B C D E (locrian #2)
Fmaj7(B5): F G A B C D E (lydian)

But heck, what is a note more or less amongst friends. smile

Great to have you with us printer1! It's refreshing with another voice . . .

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
The changes to Inner Urge doesn't seem ultra difficult by itself. It's just confusing to keep thinking of the scales involved because of all the Lydian. But if I have it written down it's not that weird. It's just hard thinking of the parent major scale while it's moving so fast.

But to play those arpeggios at the normal tempo is going to be tough. Hands have to be used to those shapes, particularly the jump into and out of the arpeggio.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I didn't realize this was considered a Holiday tune so here's a blast from the past...Happy holidays to all.

My Favorite Things
https://www.box.com/s/812fea509585625a35a9

My Jazz Blog

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
recent concert from November at the 2012 Tbilisi Jazz Festival in Georgia

Chick Corea Trio with Christian McBride and Brian Blade and invitee Beka Gochiasvili (16-year old native)

[video:youtube]VlnwHDc8Rgk[/video]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
Scep,
I'm headed to a trio gig where the request is 100% Christmas Jazz. Now I didn't grow up here, so I don't even know how the Rudolf tune goes ... That promises to be entertaining, in more ways than one!

so, how did it go?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Talking about Christmas songs, I have these two songs that I posted elsewhere on this forum from a gig a week ago.

Christmas Song
https://www.box.com/s/3ztd4ekfm7jqy988a6pu

White Christmas
https://www.box.com/s/ei451h6iyqbtf2xad8dp

But there's a story to this. As you can hear, the singer is AWESOME. The guy is 75 years old. He came up to me at the gig a month ago and asked if he could sit in on percussion. He was with the Ramsey Lewis Band as percussionist and composer. Anyway, he sat in with us before and was a really good percussionist. I told him not to expect too much since we're not at the Ramsey Lewis level smile But he was kind and friendly and seemed really happy to play.

This past week, he comes back again. And this time he says, "I can sing too". So we quickly choose some Christmas songs and just play it (he even brings his own mic). I had no idea what was going to happen. I thought it would be like Karaoke night with an out of tune singer.

My goodness, the guy's voice was incredible! So he's retired and is willing to work for our kind of bucks so I will use him as my singer next time. It's incredible to be mixing around with musicians that are at such a high level. I'm amazed he was willing to hang out with us. I did check out the guy, and true enough, he was in Ramsey Lewis records....He wasn't kidding.

Forgive the hesitations on the instruments. I haven't played these Christmas songs outside of solo piano arrangements years and years ago. So we just opened up our Ipads and picked the tunes and played. Had no idea how it was going to go. So there's a little warmup period to each.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Talking about Christmas songs, I have these two songs that I posted elsewhere on this forum from a gig a week ago.

Christmas Song
https://www.box.com/s/3ztd4ekfm7jqy988a6pu

Just listening to this clip. Great comping, JW! Great voice on that guy, and what style too!

I have a question: the ipad--it doesn't have the melody, just the chords?

Page 280 of 341 1 2 278 279 280 281 282 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission