2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 310 of 370 1 2 308 309 310 311 312 369 370
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

[Linked Image]

ooops

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by piano joy
Griffin, thanks for introducing me to Gotan Project- I love their rather unique sound!

Gotan Project? If you like Gotan project, you really need to go to the maestro that inspires their music, Astor Piazzolla! Milonga del Angel

(Sorry, I don't know how to do the embed.)

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Whizbang!

To embed videos you only have to use this function:

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My nephew Sergio gave a concert in Dallas recently, with the collaboration of a little ensemble, to make a tribute to Chick Corea. I’ve made a video from one of the tunes that were played in that gig, songs composed by Corea and arranged by Sergio.

I hope you like it.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by piano joy
Griffin, thanks for introducing me to Gotan Project- I love their rather unique sound!

Gotan Project? If you like Gotan project, you really need to go to the maestro that inspires their music, Astor Piazzolla! Milonga del Angel

(Sorry, I don't know how to do the embed.)

Here it is embedded for you Whizbang. Btw, I absolutely LOVED your posting of Astor Piazzolla!! Please share some more, or anything you feel like sharing! As I said earlier, I have limited knowledge of Tango. This thread is a good place to discover and learn. For example, this is where I learned about flamenco from Recaredo, and Indian Classical music from Rupak. smile

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/15/12 08:53 AM.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Recaredo, I am thoroughly impressed with your nephew's performance, and his talent! I've already listened to this recording twice! I'm going to share it with my friends and acquaintances, some of them are professional jazz artists. You must be very proud of him! Thanks!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Griffin for your kind words!

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Good morning, folks.

Well, I don't know where to begin. The world has had to come to terms with another tragedy to fill our hearts with sadness.

Here is Sibelius. Valse Triste.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I first heard Grieg's Norwegian Dances ans a young boy and was enthralled. I got Grieg's own piano transcriptions and was disappointed to find theat they were hopelessly out of reach for such an untrained technique. Life intervened over the years and I started lessons in my mid twenties and have since been able to enjoy several sections of these pieces at the keyboard, though there's still room for further development.

Here's the second of his Opus 35, Norwegian Dances.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
In keeping with my usual tradition my third selection is a work for voice. This is a very popular one, Donizetti, Una Furtiva Lagrima, Pavarotti; great composer, great song, great singer.

We are passing the baton to Minneapolis but may return later in the day for a finale.

Richard

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Good morning, folks.

Well, I don't know where to begin. The world has had to come to terms with another tragedy to fill our hearts with sadness.

So true Richard. I've decided to post an additional selection at the beginning of my regular postings today. I sometimes listen to this when words escape me.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

This is the first time I've listened to a selection by Joseph Martin Kraus (20 June 1756 – 15 December 1792). He was a composer in the classical era who was born in Miltenberg am Main, Germany, according to my Wikapedia notes. He moved to Sweden at age 21, and died at the age of 36 in Stockholm. He is sometimes referred to as "the Swedish Mozart", and had a life span which was very similar to that of Mozart's.

Symphony in E flat major VB 144 I Allegro by Joseph Martin Kraus

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I've posted music by Camille Saint-Saens in the past. However, the Organ Symphony N. 3 is my favorite. I can't get enough of movement (#4) from that symphony!

Camille Saint-saëns Symphony No.3 'Organ Symphony' - 4th Mov

Last edited by griffin2417; 12/16/12 11:56 PM. Reason: Grammar fix

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My final selection today is an African American spiritual performed by the Nathaniel Dett Chorale in Toronto. "Didn't the Lord Deliver Daniel" is arranged by Moses Hogan

Peace to you and your loved ones

Carl

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
This piece was on classic fm today and I often play guess the composer.This one had me scratching my head though, I had no idea Bruch had written a two piano concerto.Really glad I've discovered it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Evening all smile Hope alls well smile

I've only just heard of the new craze "knit bombing", did you ever?

[Linked Image]

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Oh, Wayne, is that a Skeinway?

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
As a Finale to today’s classical choices here is Berlioz’s great Symphonie Fantastique.

It was so far ahead of its time Berlioz felt compelled to add programme notes for the audience. These are appended for a little light reading should you have time to listen to this.

The composer’s intention has been to develop various episodes in the life of an artist, in so far as they lend themselves to musical treatment. As the work cannot rely on the assistance of speech, the plan of the instrumental drama needs to be set out in advance. The following programme must therefore be considered as the spoken text of an opera, which serves to introduce musical movements and to motivate their character and expression.

First movement: "Rêveries – Passions" (Reveries – Passions)

The author imagines that a young vibrant musician, afflicted by the sickness of spirit which a famous writer[2] has called the wave of passions [la vague des passions], sees for the first time a woman who unites all the charms of the ideal person his imagination was dreaming of, and falls desperately in love with her. By a strange anomaly, the beloved image never presents itself to the artist’s mind without being associated with a musical idea, in which he recognises a certain quality of passion, but endowed with the nobility and shyness which he credits to the object of his love. This melodic image and its model keep haunting him ceaselessly like a double idée fixe. This explains the constant recurrence in all the movements of the symphony of the melody which launches the first allegro. The transitions from this state of dreamy melancholy, interrupted by occasional upsurges of aimless joy, to delirious passion, with its outbursts of fury and jealousy, its returns of tenderness, its tears, its religious consolations – all this forms the subject of the first movement.

Second movement: "Un bal" (A Ball)

The artist finds himself in the most diverse situations in life, in the tumult of a festive party, in the peaceful contemplation of the beautiful sights of nature, yet everywhere, whether in town or in the countryside, the beloved image keeps haunting him and throws his spirit into confusion.

Third movement: "Scène aux champs" (Scene in the Fields)

One evening in the countryside he hears two shepherds in the distance dialoguing with their 'ranz des vaches'; this pastoral duet, the setting, the gentle rustling of the trees in the wind, some causes for hope that he has recently conceived, all conspire to restore to his heart an unaccustomed feeling of calm and to give to his thoughts a happier colouring. He broods on his loneliness, and hopes that soon he will no longer be on his own ... But what if she betrayed him! ... This mingled hope and fear, these ideas of happiness, disturbed by dark premonitions, form the subject of the adagio. At the end one of the shepherds resumes his ‘ranz des vaches’; the other one no longer answers. Distant sound of thunder ... solitude ... silence ...

Fourth movement: "Marche au supplice" (March to the Scaffold)

Convinced that his love is unappreciated, the artist poisons himself with opium. The dose of narcotic, while too weak to cause his death, plunges him into a heavy sleep accompanied by the strangest of visions. He dreams that he has killed his beloved, that he is condemned, led to the scaffold and is witnessing his own execution. As he cries for forgiveness the effects of the narcotic set in. He wants to hide but he cannot so he watches as an onlooker as he dies. The procession advances to the sound of a march that is sometimes sombre and wild, and sometimes brilliant and solemn, in which a dull sound of heavy footsteps follows without transition the loudest outbursts. At the end of the march, the first four bars of the idée fixe reappear like a final thought of love interrupted by the fatal blow when his head bounced down the steps.

Fifth movement: "Songe d'une nuit de sabbat" (Dreams of a Witches' Sabbath)

He sees himself at a witches’ sabbath, in the midst of a hideous gathering of shades, sorcerers and monsters of every kind who have come together for his funeral. Strange sounds, groans, outbursts of laughter; distant shouts which seem to be answered by more shouts. The beloved melody appears once more, but has now lost its noble and shy character; it is now no more than a vulgar dance tune, trivial and grotesque: it is she who is coming to the sabbath ... Roar of delight at her arrival ... She joins the diabolical orgy ... The funeral knell tolls, burlesque parody of the Dies irae, the dance of the witches. The dance of the witches combined with the Dies irae.

Richard

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Thanks for sharing the two piano concerto Timmyab It was gorgeous! I hope you'll post more. smile

Wayne, that's a pretty interesting knitting activity!! That reminds me of the last piano I had to stop playing 35 years ago because it could no longer be tuned! laugh

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Thanks Richard. Great postings from you today! I am looking forward to listening to Berlioz's symphony later this evening? I must admit I've done very little exploration of Berlioz's works. Now you've provided with this wealth music and wonderful background notes. Thanks a million Partner!

Right now, however, I need some piano practice time. Off I go! grin

Carl

Page 310 of 370 1 2 308 309 310 311 312 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission