Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
158 registered (A Guy, acoxcae, accordeur, aceydawg, 43 invisible), 1770 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 207 of 244 < 1 2 ... 205 206 207 208 209 ... 243 244 >
Topic Options
#1999577 - 12/14/12 09:02 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida

ooops

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1999599 - 12/14/12 09:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: piano joy]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: piano joy
Griffin, thanks for introducing me to Gotan Project- I love their rather unique sound!

Gotan Project? If you like Gotan project, you really need to go to the maestro that inspires their music, Astor Piazzolla! Milonga del Angel

(Sorry, I don't know how to do the embed.)

#1999693 - 12/15/12 06:12 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Hi Whizbang!

To embed videos you only have to use this function:

My website

#1999697 - 12/15/12 06:27 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My nephew Sergio gave a concert in Dallas recently, with the collaboration of a little ensemble, to make a tribute to Chick Corea. I’ve made a video from one of the tunes that were played in that gig, songs composed by Corea and arranged by Sergio.

I hope you like it.

My website

#1999708 - 12/15/12 07:46 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Whizbang]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: Whizbang
Originally Posted By: piano joy
Griffin, thanks for introducing me to Gotan Project- I love their rather unique sound!

Gotan Project? If you like Gotan project, you really need to go to the maestro that inspires their music, Astor Piazzolla! Milonga del Angel

(Sorry, I don't know how to do the embed.)

Here it is embedded for you Whizbang. Btw, I absolutely LOVED your posting of Astor Piazzolla!! Please share some more, or anything you feel like sharing! As I said earlier, I have limited knowledge of Tango. This thread is a good place to discover and learn. For example, this is where I learned about flamenco from Recaredo, and Indian Classical music from Rupak. smile

Edited by griffin2417 (12/15/12 07:53 AM)

#1999714 - 12/15/12 08:13 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
griffin2417 Offline

Recaredo, I am thoroughly impressed with your nephew's performance, and his talent! I've already listened to this recording twice! I'm going to share it with my friends and acquaintances, some of them are professional jazz artists. You must be very proud of him! Thanks!

#1999882 - 12/15/12 03:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks Griffin for your kind words!

My website

#2000152 - 12/16/12 08:04 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Good morning, folks.

Well, I don't know where to begin. The world has had to come to terms with another tragedy to fill our hearts with sadness.

Here is Sibelius. Valse Triste.

#2000160 - 12/16/12 08:15 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I first heard Grieg's Norwegian Dances ans a young boy and was enthralled. I got Grieg's own piano transcriptions and was disappointed to find theat they were hopelessly out of reach for such an untrained technique. Life intervened over the years and I started lessons in my mid twenties and have since been able to enjoy several sections of these pieces at the keyboard, though there's still room for further development.

Here's the second of his Opus 35, Norwegian Dances.

#2000162 - 12/16/12 08:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In keeping with my usual tradition my third selection is a work for voice. This is a very popular one, Donizetti, Una Furtiva Lagrima, Pavarotti; great composer, great song, great singer.

We are passing the baton to Minneapolis but may return later in the day for a finale.

#2000226 - 12/16/12 12:04 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Good morning, folks.

Well, I don't know where to begin. The world has had to come to terms with another tragedy to fill our hearts with sadness.

So true Richard. I've decided to post an additional selection at the beginning of my regular postings today. I sometimes listen to this when words escape me.

#2000234 - 12/16/12 12:37 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

This is the first time I've listened to a selection by Joseph Martin Kraus (20 June 1756 – 15 December 1792). He was a composer in the classical era who was born in Miltenberg am Main, Germany, according to my Wikapedia notes. He moved to Sweden at age 21, and died at the age of 36 in Stockholm. He is sometimes referred to as "the Swedish Mozart", and had a life span which was very similar to that of Mozart's.

Symphony in E flat major VB 144 I Allegro by Joseph Martin Kraus

#2000238 - 12/16/12 12:43 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

I've posted music by Camille Saint-Saens in the past. However, the Organ Symphony N. 3 is my favorite. I can't get enough of movement (#4) from that symphony!

Camille Saint-saëns Symphony No.3 'Organ Symphony' - 4th Mov

Edited by griffin2417 (12/16/12 10:56 PM)
Edit Reason: Grammar fix

#2000241 - 12/16/12 12:51 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

My final selection today is an African American spiritual performed by the Nathaniel Dett Chorale in Toronto. "Didn't the Lord Deliver Daniel" is arranged by Moses Hogan

Peace to you and your loved ones

#2000276 - 12/16/12 02:05 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
This piece was on classic fm today and I often play guess the composer.This one had me scratching my head though, I had no idea Bruch had written a two piano concerto.Really glad I've discovered it.

#2000294 - 12/16/12 02:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Evening all smile Hope alls well smile

I've only just heard of the new craze "knit bombing", did you ever?

#2000311 - 12/16/12 03:26 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Oh, Wayne, is that a Skeinway?

#2000313 - 12/16/12 03:36 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As a Finale to today’s classical choices here is Berlioz’s great Symphonie Fantastique.

It was so far ahead of its time Berlioz felt compelled to add programme notes for the audience. These are appended for a little light reading should you have time to listen to this.

The composer’s intention has been to develop various episodes in the life of an artist, in so far as they lend themselves to musical treatment. As the work cannot rely on the assistance of speech, the plan of the instrumental drama needs to be set out in advance. The following programme must therefore be considered as the spoken text of an opera, which serves to introduce musical movements and to motivate their character and expression.

First movement: "Rêveries – Passions" (Reveries – Passions)

The author imagines that a young vibrant musician, afflicted by the sickness of spirit which a famous writer[2] has called the wave of passions [la vague des passions], sees for the first time a woman who unites all the charms of the ideal person his imagination was dreaming of, and falls desperately in love with her. By a strange anomaly, the beloved image never presents itself to the artist’s mind without being associated with a musical idea, in which he recognises a certain quality of passion, but endowed with the nobility and shyness which he credits to the object of his love. This melodic image and its model keep haunting him ceaselessly like a double idée fixe. This explains the constant recurrence in all the movements of the symphony of the melody which launches the first allegro. The transitions from this state of dreamy melancholy, interrupted by occasional upsurges of aimless joy, to delirious passion, with its outbursts of fury and jealousy, its returns of tenderness, its tears, its religious consolations – all this forms the subject of the first movement.

Second movement: "Un bal" (A Ball)

The artist finds himself in the most diverse situations in life, in the tumult of a festive party, in the peaceful contemplation of the beautiful sights of nature, yet everywhere, whether in town or in the countryside, the beloved image keeps haunting him and throws his spirit into confusion.

Third movement: "Scène aux champs" (Scene in the Fields)

One evening in the countryside he hears two shepherds in the distance dialoguing with their 'ranz des vaches'; this pastoral duet, the setting, the gentle rustling of the trees in the wind, some causes for hope that he has recently conceived, all conspire to restore to his heart an unaccustomed feeling of calm and to give to his thoughts a happier colouring. He broods on his loneliness, and hopes that soon he will no longer be on his own ... But what if she betrayed him! ... This mingled hope and fear, these ideas of happiness, disturbed by dark premonitions, form the subject of the adagio. At the end one of the shepherds resumes his ‘ranz des vaches’; the other one no longer answers. Distant sound of thunder ... solitude ... silence ...

Fourth movement: "Marche au supplice" (March to the Scaffold)

Convinced that his love is unappreciated, the artist poisons himself with opium. The dose of narcotic, while too weak to cause his death, plunges him into a heavy sleep accompanied by the strangest of visions. He dreams that he has killed his beloved, that he is condemned, led to the scaffold and is witnessing his own execution. As he cries for forgiveness the effects of the narcotic set in. He wants to hide but he cannot so he watches as an onlooker as he dies. The procession advances to the sound of a march that is sometimes sombre and wild, and sometimes brilliant and solemn, in which a dull sound of heavy footsteps follows without transition the loudest outbursts. At the end of the march, the first four bars of the idée fixe reappear like a final thought of love interrupted by the fatal blow when his head bounced down the steps.

Fifth movement: "Songe d'une nuit de sabbat" (Dreams of a Witches' Sabbath)

He sees himself at a witches’ sabbath, in the midst of a hideous gathering of shades, sorcerers and monsters of every kind who have come together for his funeral. Strange sounds, groans, outbursts of laughter; distant shouts which seem to be answered by more shouts. The beloved melody appears once more, but has now lost its noble and shy character; it is now no more than a vulgar dance tune, trivial and grotesque: it is she who is coming to the sabbath ... Roar of delight at her arrival ... She joins the diabolical orgy ... The funeral knell tolls, burlesque parody of the Dies irae, the dance of the witches. The dance of the witches combined with the Dies irae.

#2000326 - 12/16/12 03:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: timmyab]
griffin2417 Offline

Thanks for sharing the two piano concerto Timmyab It was gorgeous! I hope you'll post more. smile

Wayne, that's a pretty interesting knitting activity!! That reminds me of the last piano I had to stop playing 35 years ago because it could no longer be tuned! laugh

#2000335 - 12/16/12 04:15 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

Thanks Richard. Great postings from you today! I am looking forward to listening to Berlioz's symphony later this evening? I must admit I've done very little exploration of Berlioz's works. Now you've provided with this wealth music and wonderful background notes. Thanks a million Partner!

Right now, however, I need some piano practice time. Off I go! grin

#2000440 - 12/16/12 08:41 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
Evening all smile Hope alls well smile

I've only just heard of the new craze "knit bombing", did you ever?

Where's the zipper on that thing for when the piano needs tuning ????

#2000677 - 12/17/12 12:30 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Densi826 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom But its not rea...

Nice.

#2000740 - 12/17/12 03:40 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Densi826]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Densi826

Nice.

Never in a million, gazillion years would I have put those two together, wow! Interesting, to say the least...undecided whether or not I actually like it.

and welcome to PW ! You made quite an entrance smile

#2000752 - 12/17/12 04:17 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Welcome Densi wink

#2000824 - 12/17/12 06:44 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Densi826 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom But its not rea...
Thanks piano joy and wayne I have spent hours on this thread today and have been relishing it.

#2000825 - 12/17/12 06:44 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: wayne33yrs]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

This is an example of "found" music. kutiman surfs YouTube for music clips and then arranges them into complete works.

#2001234 - 12/18/12 03:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Well well well.
Rossy does not usually get excited by radio station music anymore.

I hate the pap our commercial stations pump out day after day.

All was nearly lost and futility was reigning in the airwaves department .

UNTILL, I happened across www.radiotuna.com , there I clicked "ambient" because i wanted background sounds without chatter.

I then got a drop down menu and picked "ethereal" because I thought it would be nice to have my head in an ethereal place.

Then, I clicked on "abnormally dead air" (radio from the grave) as the choice of ambient, ethereal music supplier.

AND THAT, is when I had my first taste of an exciting london outfit called "Lahannya" ( have you heard of them?) me neither...

It is refreshing when someone has something to say in a song, i thought it may be a thing of the past, but lahannya proved me wrong to think that... very very wrong.

Lyrics such as; ""I stand my ground and I will not back down, I've played a faithful slave far too long, no one can force my mind, I stand to crucify the Dystopia they have spun."

The melody line sung over such a heavy backing such as this just blew me away, from the song "the stand"

Then "cacoon" also from the "dystopia album" which I am going to buy, yes I am going to buy it which is unusual for me as i usually just download like normal folk.

But lahannya can have some of my meagre funds for inspiring me again.

here is "the stand" and cacoon, you judge for yourselves but dont start to argue with me about it because I wont be listening to any criticism of lahannya.

cacoon was filmed during the london riots and has footage of the riots in it.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2001337 - 12/18/12 07:00 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The wonderer returns lol smile Not bad posts Rossy, reminded me a bit of Florence against the machine.

Songs where the singers mean what they say are always the best wink

#2001339 - 12/18/12 07:07 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lovin this!

#2001345 - 12/18/12 07:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lahnnya is a nice find, Rossy.

And Gabrielle Aplin, Wayne.

...Florence against the machine.
Typo? Or cryptic comment?

Songs where the singers mean what they say are always the best wink
Yes, which reminds me...

(The subtitles really make it...er...)

Page 207 of 244 < 1 2 ... 205 206 207 208 209 ... 243 244 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My prediction, Your thought
by Banzai_Ed
11/28/14 05:29 PM
Replace side panels on MP7?
by acoxcae
11/28/14 05:27 PM
So when someone offers you a free piano you........
by Dennis R in WA
11/28/14 03:29 PM
Technique for embellishments (1-5-3 roll)
by DeadPoets
11/28/14 03:09 PM
Mason Hamlin AA Vs Schimmel Classic C189
by blueeyes2014
11/28/14 02:29 PM
Forum Stats
77080 Members
42 Forums
159426 Topics
2341928 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission