2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I have a unique situation...

I work at a music store at which I receive a very good discount on sheet music. I am quitting this post, and as of Saturday, my discount will expire along with my job. That being said, I wanted to see what the community considered some collections they absolutely loved and consider a cornerstone in their library.

I look forward to the responses,

Jeremy Cardamone, MM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You should have good editions of Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Debussy, Haydn, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Ravel, Schubert, Schumann, and anyone else who strikes your fancy.

Semipro Tech
T
T
If I had your gig, I would be buying music of Debussy, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Ravel, Prokofiev, & Scriabin, but that's because I don't have much by any of them currently.

My Beethoven Sonata's are of course well loves, as are my Chopin Etudes, Nocturnes, Waltzes, and Preludes. My Bach WTC is still being broken in...

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
Well, what do you want that you don't have? smile

If it were me, I'd go for whatever I'd been thinking of getting lately, without regard to what seemed to be "cornerstones" -- including because all the cornerstones would be a huge amount of stuff, and if I could buy that much stuff, even with a discount, I probably wouldn't need to be worrying about discounts!

What I'd get now: Maybe some Clementi sonatas, maybe some Henselt stuff if the store had it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Right now I really love the Cooper edition of Beethoven's Sonatas, but I do like all my kids in the cabinet. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

don't forget to own a Scarlatti book.. his music is so pleasant.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My Henle scherzi is my prized possession.

A
A
Barenreiter's editions of Bach's Partitas, WTC, etc are top notch. you can't ask for a better Bach for ease of reading, fingering, and quality of material (debatable, perhaps).

Currently working on: Bach Partita 4, English Suite 2, Toccata d-minor, Chopin-op 10/1, Schubert Impromptus
J
OP Offline
J
Thank you all for your fine answers!

Apple*: after posting, I actually am going to purchase a collection of Scarlatti sonatas because I don't own one. And I've been lusting (too strong a word?) after them for a few months now. Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions! I will continue to mull over the information.

Thanks again,

Jeremy Cardamone, MM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by asthecrowflies
Barenreiter's editions of Bach's Partitas, WTC, etc are top notch. you can't ask for a better Bach for ease of reading, fingering, and quality of material (debatable, perhaps).

I was somewhat surprised and not a little disappointed that some recently ordered Bärenreiter "Authoritative Performing Editions" of Debussy are stapled rather than sewn. These are editions with 60 to 70 pages. I would expect that of an edition of just 8 or 12 pages, but not volumes as large as these.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
A
Hmm, that is somewhat surprising. Is that because they're "performing editions"? And Stapled is easier to keep open than sewn?

that said, i agree that i can't think of any respectable edition that is more than a dozen pages and stapled.

Currently working on: Bach Partita 4, English Suite 2, Toccata d-minor, Chopin-op 10/1, Schubert Impromptus
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Hmm, that is somewhat surprising. Is that because they're "performing editions"? And Stapled is easier to keep open than sewn?

Just the opposite, actually. In my experience, at least, a well-bound sewn edition (Henle, for example) lies much flatter on the music stand than these new Bärenreiter stapled editions (52 pages and 70 pages). Because each page is part of a double-page sheet folded in the centre, the natural tendency of the book is to close. The only way to get the book to stay open is to open it at the centre pages, fold it back, then turn to the pages you wish to read, and fold the volume back again before putting it on the music stand. This will, in very short order, weaken the centre pages and/or the cover at the staples, and soon centre pages will be falling out.

That said, the scholarship is quite remarkable; half of each of these volumes is dedicated (in German, English and French) to :
in the case of "Pour le Piano"
- genesis and publication history
- discussion of the work
- aesthetics and performance practie
- notes on the edition
- the sources
- translation of performance instruction

and, in the case of "Children's Corner"
- introduction
- genesis
- title and musical allusions
- aesthetics and performance practices
- editorial principles
- the sources

all very informative and worthwhile additions to the music.

that said, i agree that i can't think of any respectable edition that is more than a dozen pages and stapled.

My Peters edition of the Schubert Impromptus (76 pages) is stapled and, over the years of use - although it's been relegated to the shelf after I purchased the Henle for the above-mentioned reasons - the centre pages are still intact but the cover has separated from the staples.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
One of my most used collections, is his dover Chopin book, with solo works, sort of a "greatest hits" of Chopin that covers major works from the many styles he composed it. I have used it more then any other book surprisingly, that and my Henle editions of Bach and Beethoven.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BruceD

I was somewhat surprised and not a little disappointed that some recently ordered Bärenreiter "Authoritative Performing Editions" of Debussy are stapled rather than sewn. These are editions with 60 to 70 pages. I would expect that of an edition of just 8 or 12 pages, but not volumes as large as these.

If you want, you can find out what sort of binding they use on any given product at their website, before you order it.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by BruceD

If you want, you can find out what sort of binding they use on any given product at their website, before you order it.

So I see; it was not something I thought of checking when I ordered. It seems that many of their publications are now stapled. Makes me hesitate to purchase Barenreiter in the future.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Stapled is definitely cheaper, especially if you go for low numbers in printing... I should know that.

But up to 60 pages (or so) it's very reasonable to have staples and do not create a problem really, as far as I'm aware.

Because I'm planning on the release of a couple of bigger books (80 and more than 100 pages) so I'm definitely looking into my options for sewed back and hard cover, but it's not easy to do in small numbers and it's rather expensive (I tend to repeat myself, right?)

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I have the Henle clothbound Beethoven Sonatas, the full set of Chopin's works from PWM by Ekier, and Clara Schumann's edition of Robert's solo piano works. Beyond that, it's a hodgepodge of whatever editions I found that I liked enough to buy when I wanted them. I think every piece by Debussy is a different edition, and same for Bach.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission