2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi everyone:
I found an interesting 1930's Baldwin L last week, that I'm very interested in getting. It definitely needs a great deal of TLC and some functional updates, although much of it is in decent, solid condition. Without getting into all the details of everything I checked and already know about it,(I checked about everything I could and pulled the action to their wide-eyed amazement---7 pencils, numerous paper clips, and dirt beyond belief) I just had a simple question concerning the tuning pins. The current owner has no knowledge of anything ever being updated on the piano, and certainly she had not had anything done to it in the last 25 years that she owned it. But I wondered if these dark-colored tuning pins are what Baldwin was using at the time? It seems they weren't just tarnished because they were all so perfectly identical. They were also holding the piano in *remarkably* good tune, especially since everyone agreed it probably hadn't been tuned in many years.
I just found them curious, that's all.

[Linked Image]

Regards,
Steve Schutte
Cincinnati
1979 6'7 Kimball Grand
1902 6' Hazelton Bros. Grand (project piano)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Either colour of tuning pin is acceptable,blued or nickel plated. In the 1930’s nickel plating may have been considered too ostentatious for the time period.

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Steve in Cincy
Hi everyone:
I found an interesting 1930's Baldwin L last week, that I'm very interested in getting. It definitely needs a great deal of TLC and some functional updates, although much of it is in decent, solid condition. Without getting into all the details of everything I checked and already know about it,(I checked about everything I could and pulled the action to their wide-eyed amazement---7 pencils, numerous paper clips, and dirt beyond belief) I just had a simple question concerning the tuning pins. The current owner has no knowledge of anything ever being updated on the piano, and certainly she had not had anything done to it in the last 25 years that she owned it. But I wondered if these dark-colored tuning pins are what Baldwin was using at the time? It seems they weren't just tarnished because they were all so perfectly identical. They were also holding the piano in *remarkably* good tune, especially since everyone agreed it probably hadn't been tuned in many years.
I just found them curious, that's all.

[Linked Image]

The foreground of the photo shows the hitch pins. The tuning pins are barely visible in the photo.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
OP Offline
True, Keith. This one is a little better angle.
It was kind of funny----I didn't realize the house where the piano was located had just been vacated and so there were no lights available in the room where the piano sits. By the time I finally got around to taking some pictures, it was so dark even the camera was complaining that it couldn't "see" the subject. I was half-surprised the pictures came out at all.

[Linked Image]

Regards,
Steve Schutte
Cincinnati
1979 6'7 Kimball Grand
1902 6' Hazelton Bros. Grand (project piano)
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I own a Baldwin L built in 1965. Its original tuning pins were dark, though perhaps not quite as dark as those in your photo. So I suppose Baldwin was using darker pins for a number of years. As part of a recent major upgrade, I had the tuning pins replaced with chrome plated ones which, to me, look much nicer.

C
C
Hello Chris, I would be very interested in the details of this upgrade, especially in regard to the pinblock. If you are still on this forum, or if anyone else has done similar things to a Baldwin L around this vintage to 1968, I would love to hear from you.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Some supply houses have sold "tuning pin blue" which, as I recall, is a bit darker than what normal blued tuning pins. If someone somewhere applied this in an attempt to make things look "newer, that may account for the abnormally dark color. The tip-off of course is that they always get it on the coils as well. Look closely.

I believe Wurlitzer routinely recoated all of their tuning pins after stringing as I have seen this sloppiness on many of them from the time period you're discussing.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Charlie da tuner
Hello Chris, I would be very interested in the details of this upgrade, especially in regard to the pinblock. If you are still on this forum, or if anyone else has done similar things to a Baldwin L around this vintage to 1968, I would love to hear from you.

Chris’ forum profile includes his personal e-mail— you can drop him a note

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Steve,

The piano is better than 50 years old. The "design lifespan" is 30-40 years. Proportionally few pinblocks continue to function at a high level from this time forward. Even if you find now observable defects, the force of restringing with oversize pins could in itself create issues that will show up sooner than later. As long as you know this and are willing to cope with it...fine. Most of us that rebuild pianos have removed blocks that "looked" good on the exterior only to find out why it failed when we cut it open. Can't do an MRI on a pinblock (that I'm aware of).

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
C
C
Thanks! Maybe I'm somewhat in denial. I probably should just replace this block and be done with it. There is too much uncertainty regarding re-pinning an older Baldwin block, even though the pins are still tight. Tuning stability is my main purpose for restringing and it seems now that it may be too difficult to achieve with the original block.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission