2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Hi. I'll be picking up my piano at the shop. It'll be in the box since I can't bring it home assembled. Plus, once home, it's easier to cover a box with some tarps in the garage than a piano...

A friend said I should at least open the box to make sure nothing's damaged. because the speakers are in the console (I think), it's probably not worth plugging it in somewhere. Mainly, the shop is a ways away and not convenient if I find upon returning home there's an issue.

Wondered your thoughts.

M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Well, I'd look, I think.

An honest seller would understand why you'd check, since it protects both of you if there's a problem. A seller who gets insulted is probably not a good person to deal with.

At a minimum check to ensure that the box is still factory sealed.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Is the question whether to open the box at the shop and play it there before taking it home? Or is this a question of opening it at home right away or waiting until Christmas?

I can't imagine a problem with opening it there except maybe if there are lots of pieces it might be difficult to ensure that you get home with all of them. Most digitals, however, come in just a couple of pieces and there's not much to lose. I guess the possibility that it would be hard to get back into the box and therefore harder to transport is also there.

Personally, I wouldn't open it there. I guess I'm just not that paranoid. The probability that there will be a problem with it is low. I would not criticize anyone who chose differently, though.

W
W
I recently bought a Kawai MP-10, and got it delivered (by a semi-local retailer) in the box. The boxing was great - it was thick, multiple ways of keeping it isolated from the outside, and just very well packaged overall. I wouldn't bother opening it up, as I don't think unless I had set it up I would have been able to tell something was wrong. However, if it is a console and not as well packaged, it might matter.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission