2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I am DESPERATE for advice.
A local dealer (Alberta Canada)has offered me a Pleyel P131 upright. I believe this to be a discontinued model; the stencil indicates Paris origin. It is unused but has been crated in a warehouse for some time. The price seems fair as far as I can tell and what little info I can find says this is a good or even very good piano. It has Renner action, full sostenuto, an agreeable, mellow voice. Some aspects of the cabinet are unconventional, such as the use of heavy laminated panels instead of posts for a rear framework but it is very solid and well made, obvious good workmanship shows everywhere. I am comparing sound and action to a Bechstein Academy "A" which is expensive, 45% more and a Petrof 131, which I don't like quite as well but tend to trust as well known, 25% more money; a Petrof 125 compares straight across for price but seems much less of an instrument. I can't afford the Bechstein and would be hard pressed to reach the Petrof price; I include these to inform on impressions of the Pleyel and price info if you know the market in Canada.
It would be helpful indeed if your thoughts are based on experience with Pleyel or solid technical information.
2latewise
currently playing a Gerhard Heintzman 126

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I am writing not because I have any real information for you, but I have played on an older Pleyel small grand in the showroom at Klavierhaus in New York City. For all I know, it is still there. You might try calling or e-mailing them to see if they have an opinion on that upright model.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I have seen one that belongs to a local symphony musician. It seems like a good piano. If you like it, and the price is good, I would not deter you from buying it.

Semipro Tech
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I remember a forum member about half a year ago bought a Pleyel grand and was very satisfied with it. As you say, he noticed high attention to detail and solid work.

There was a discussion of Pleyel going bankrupt. Not sure what is true of it.
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...1/topic/016474/Number/0/site_id/1#import

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
While this may not be helpful, I played what I think was a new Pleyel upright at Cunningham Piano Company some years ago. I thought it was a lovely piano, with a very European tone (in other words, more like a Schimmel than an American piano). While I am sure it is not there any more, it is possible that Rich Galassini will have information about the brand.

I have some dim recollection that the Pleyel company has changed hands a couple of times in relatively recent history. I am sure you can learn more about this on line (or from one of the experts on this forum).

Last edited by Rank Piano Amateur; 12/18/12 07:39 AM.
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I was the National Sales Mgr., until my retirement,
of the company that brought in and distributed the Pleyel into the U.S.
Pleyel is out of business completly. Finalized a few weeks ago.
In my opinion, in my 40 some years in the piano industry, the Pleyel 131 is the best upright I have seen.
I can't speak to the price, I no longer keep up with that. But it is a fine piano.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission