2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Once again it is that time of year to post up your seasonal holiday performances for everyone to enjoy. If your piece is an X-mas tune, or holiday related, please post it up here in order to keep everyones submission in one place for easy access and listening.

So who's going first?

Last edited by Mr Super-Hunky; 11/29/12 06:54 PM.
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
What a great idea ... how exciting. Thanks, Mr Super_hunky. I had already posted this in the December bar, but with encouragement, here it is again for the Christmas collection.

Grown Up Christmas List

The Holiday season is a great time to take stock of the progress (or lack thereof) that we've made over the years. I usually like to try to record two Christmas/holiday-related numbers around this time of year. Since this is my first year on the ABF, I will bore you with my whole holiday catalog. Fire sale - all songs must go!

This one is hot off the presses. I will do one more before the season is over (hopefully).

Christmas Time Is Here

Here is the blog entry for it:
Christmas Time Is Here blog entry

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is a "free jazz" number which one would think should not appeal to most people. But this is by far my most downloaded number. I remember thinking that this was an advancement because the only advice that I got from my piano teacher on the arrangement was to consider using some fourths in the melody.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen blog entry

Auld Lang Syne was done as a solo piano arrangement. This is when I realized that I had hopelessly forgotten the little that
I had learned about improvising for solo piano. I
re-harmonized the beginning and end of this to be as dark as humanly possible, befitting the outlook for 2012.

Auld Lang Syne

Auld Lang Syne blog post

I was really excited about My Favorite Things. This was way,way beyond what I was normally capable of in 2010. It sounds pretty raw now, and overly long. This is an uptempo jazz waltz. Hopefully we can entice Jazzwee to post his exceptionally beautiful version that is out on Soundcloud.

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things blog entry

What Child Is This (aka Greensleeves) is done as a bossa nova.
This is old enough that the original backing instrumentation was MIDI, and I had to supply my own acoustic guitar embellishments. I was able to re-mix it to get rid of the MIDI, but I unfortunately had to keep myself on the guitar.

What Child Is This

What Child Is This blog entry

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Wow, what an incredible way to start things off. Greener, I can't believe how quick you seem to be advancing. I'm glad you took the time to finish and performe this for us.

Kenjazz, I think you may be my new best friend. My X-mas play list is nearly EXACTLY the same as yours. You present your music in an such a full and rich way. Now I'm motivated to start doing something after hearing these tunes.

Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
My X-mas play list is nearly EXACTLY the same as yours.

Thanks Mr. Super Hunky! The music is the best part of Christmas for me. I'm getting close to finalizing an arrangement for O Tannenbaum. I'm betting that is on your play list too! When I'm done, I've threatened the kids that I'm making them a CD with all of these called "Dad Hacks Christmas" and giving it to their friends. They said I'd better not, or there will be repercussions smirk

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
We Three Kings (flashback from 3 years ago)

After I made this video, I thought I would do a Christmas video every year. After 3 Christmases, this is the first year I'm without a new video. frown

I made this after just 6 months on the piano. I had no idea what I was doing. I had a new complicated keyboard, extremely limited experience on the piano, and a guitar that I knew how to play a few chords on.

All of this was done thru the keyboard. I plugged my acoustic guitar into it and the other parts were made on it. The file is long gone, but it was all just bits and pieces I scraped together to make this.

Except for the guitar. The rhythm guitar track was played start to finish. I used to play a lot, but now I can count on one hand the number of times I've played my guitar since I started learning piano. (2 of which were Xmas videos for ABF smile ) Priorities change when one discovers something new, I guess. laugh

The very last piano solo part was me playing live. It wasn't intentionally slow and encumbered - that's just how I played 3 years ago if I hadn't practiced the snot out of something. It turns out it worked OK for this video's ending. smile

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this thing I threw together as a complete newb on the piano when I first started! smile

Last edited by BenPiano; 11/30/12 02:32 AM.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ben, that's a fun We Three Kings.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Originally Posted by BenPiano

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this thing I threw together as a complete newb on the piano when I first started! smile

Excellent, Ben! I loved the harmonic counterpoint between guitar and piano. very cool/sophisticated indeed. How did you get such a clean recording sound on the guitar? Whenever I try to record guitar I get clipping and noise all over the place. Did you have a direct plug-in to the recording device?

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Here is a piano vocal of the great Irving Berlin Christmas song. I have included the original intro which didn't make it to the well known Bing Crosby version. I realize I'm no Bing Crosby but I hope you enjoy my contribution to the Holiday Performances thread.

White Christmas

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I meant to post this here and posted it to the December Piano Bar by mistake. Only listen to it once unless you are a masochist:

The Christmas Song

My interpretation, loosely, of The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire.)

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Greener - Thanks to my wife who begins listening to Christmas music the day after Labor Day I thought I'd heard them all, but this was a pleasant surprise - A cool Christmas song that I haven't heard 1,000 times. Now only did I enjoy the piece very much, your performance is first rate.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
kenjazz - A thoroughly enjoyable collection of Christmas tunes - definitely iTunes distribution ready. Although I liked them all, you really made My Favorite Things swing. Outstanding collection.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BenPiano - I remember this from 3 years ago (I checked and saw I'd left a comment under my old id). This is such an outstanding multi-media production! You are creative as well as talented. I hope you make posting this one an annual event.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt - this is one that usually doesn't work for me as an instrumental as the lyrics are so well known and iconic this time of year. That being said, you really made this work. I love the way you were true to the melody but gave it your own very cool arrangement. In my opinion, this is the perfect tempo for this song - not to fast, not to slow, just right! Love the ending.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Greener: ABF'er Christmas List - I didn't think I knew this one, but it sounded familiar in a way. After listening again (and googling it), yes, I have heard this before. Upon the second listen, I was really able to better appreciate the musicality and feeling you put into this. smile

KenJazz: Christmas Time is Here - Nicely done and well played. I could easily have this on at any Christmas event, to everyone's enjoyment!

BillM: White Christmas - You're exactly right - Bing Crosby was no BillM. smile It's easy to hear your soul poured out in this.

Andy Platt: The Christmas Song - Wow, so nice! Have you ever considered learning more material from this era? It was so nice, like it already belonged on your fingertips.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
L
L
Here's another arrangement of What Child is This. I added in some various instruments. Enjoy!

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano

After I made this video, I thought I would do a Christmas video every year. After 3 Christmases, this is the first year I'm without a new video. frown

Well, I'm 0 for 4 in that department. No video for me this year either because Lumbergh keeps asking me to work on weekends these past few weeks. frown

Anyway, this was really great for a noob! Nice work on that stringed instrument too. grin

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Bill, I enjoyed your White Christmas a good deal. I'm glad you included the verse. It isn't sung often enough. I remember playing a very simple version of this song my first year taking piano lessons about 45 years ago.

Andy, I thought this sounded familiar. I enjoyed listening the second time as well.

ladypayne, what a fun arrangement! Great job.

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 12/03/12 11:27 PM.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
[quote=BillM]I realize I'm no Bing Crosby but I hope you enjoy my contribution to the Holiday Performances thread.
White Christmas

Good thing you are no Bing Crosby. I'm thinking I prefer your version a good deal better then Bing's. Or, did somebody already say that? If so, I agree with them then. Yes, enjoyed. What, you have a different piano depending on what mood you're in? This isn't the usual one is it? It is really great sound and great rendition here, Bill. It sets the mood for me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ladypayne - this was a treat to see and hear. The art you selected for your video was quite enjoyable and suited your rendition of What Child is This perfectly. This is a real piece of work.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission