Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2001267 - 12/18/12 04:28 PM How do you rate Digianos?
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
They sell a lot of these at my local shop; apparantly their after sales service is excellent. According to the shop owner . . . .

""

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2001272 - 12/18/12 04:33 PM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
They feature, wait for it....10mb piano samples!

Rubbish. Another rebadged generic Chinese DP. Classenti, Digiano, Chase. Doesn't matter what they're called, they're all rubbish.

What I don't get is why someone would purchase these things when they can get a Casio for the same sort of money. Decent, usable DPs start at Casio, simple as that.

#2001279 - 12/18/12 05:03 PM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: EssBrace]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
EssBrace Its not that, the same can be seen in the Chinese motorbike industry.

Some clever so and so sees them extremely cheap in China, a typical 125cc motorbike in China can be bought for $200-$300US.

So they stick them in containers, look at the equivilent Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki and (a Japanese 4 125 will be OTR for £2000) and price them at a bit less than the big reliable Japanese brands.

Say £1799 OTR.

People think wow a 125 bike for £1799. Instead of thinking I';m paying £1799 for a £200 bike!

The importers of such pianos are thinking the same. Travels in China you can buy stuff dirt cheap, and get the quality too, of dirt.

So when an importer sees a $100 piano, they ship it over here and think what can the market bear? £500-£1000? I know I'll put it at £750.

So while they are great as $100 pianos (which is what they are worth), they are awful for £500-£1000 digital pianos.

A lot of people rather than admitting their lack of research and buying a $100 piano for £750. Blame it on crappy Chinese quality.

Its a very easy target to trash.

#2001282 - 12/18/12 05:12 PM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm not having a go at the mere fact it is Chinese. It's just that these cheapo bits of rubbish are only made there. Some Chinese manufacture is of the very highest quality. Their acoustic piano industry is astounding in its ability to make good quality available at accessible prices.

#2001320 - 12/18/12 06:10 PM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: EssBrace]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Their electric kettles are good too . .. but the Digianos are getting a lot better over the few years I`ve seen them, The latest compare not at all badly. You can see them here.

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/keyboard-instruments/digital-pianos

I bet the owner (Dave) looks in here from time to time. He might be one of you!

""

#2001573 - 12/19/12 05:48 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Japanese car/bike syndrome.

Hyundai too, because I saw a Daewoo piano the other day, it was rock solidly built and the keys were heavy.

50 years ago, people on British bikes scoffed at what Japan came out with, they were right. They were terrible. Honda were nearly destroyed by their nasty harley clones.

The C90 saved their bacon for a long time.

But the reputation stuck like mud for a long time.

The transformation occured in the late 70s and early 80s, when massive engines started appearing on their bikes. OHCs started appearing on everything while the British bike industry had no answer still using push rods. Other than buy british!

In the 80s racers started winning big from copied British engineering tech (maxton, sponden who are responsible for monoshock and twin spar frames). Hondas were winning, by mid 80s British motocycle industry had died.

#2001965 - 12/20/12 02:36 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
When I returned to piano playing a few years ago I was looking for a DP with a fairly "realistic" touch, compared with acoustic pianos I had played, which varied so much between old Honky Tonk bangers to up-market Grands. Being a tight fisted individual I bought one of THESE, I found the touch to be reasonable but the piano sound, the only sound I was interested in, wasn't so good, let down by it's speakers and no lid meant it was vulnerable to stuff dropping into the keys. This piano is badged under a few names so I guess it comes out of the same Chinese factory, and I notice the identical button lay out on many cheap DPs, so the the innards could all be the same, just different furniture. I found the keyboard touch to be better than anything Casio had at the time and for 300 quid what did I expect? I feel I'm qualified to make this review as I've actually owned the piano and not because I make assumptions from a distance and like the sound of my own typing.

#2001985 - 12/20/12 04:58 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: bluebilly]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bluebilly
I feel I'm qualified to make this review as I've actually owned the piano and not because I make assumptions from a distance and like the sound of my own typing.

Ooh, back in the knife box Miss Sharp!

#2001990 - 12/20/12 05:20 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: bluebilly]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Looks like a DSX620.

You're right though, as not many companies stock them so there is little room to try.

There is a showroom north of me that stocks these brands, and for a low price they are OK, but they certainly aren't worth the £500-£700 some people stick the price labels on.

#2001993 - 12/20/12 05:25 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: justpin]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: justpin
There is a showroom north of me that stocks these brands, and for a low price they are OK, but they certainly aren't worth the £500-£700 some people stick the price labels on.

No, they're not. But Casios have a starting price well below that and are very well conceived products at their price point. It's a no-brainer if you want something cheap but good - Casio (or Yamaha P105).

#2001999 - 12/20/12 05:43 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm basing this on the CDP120 which is the lowest price DP on the market. @ £340.

I don't consider non weighted keyboards to be in the same league. I mean I can get a 61 key casio for £80 but can it compare?

I've seen these rebadged medeli or whatever they are ex demo models for £150ish now and again.

Edited by justpin (12/20/12 05:45 AM)

#2002424 - 12/21/12 12:18 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: EssBrace]
bluebilly Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Originally Posted By: bluebilly
I feel I'm qualified to make this review as I've actually owned the piano and not because I make assumptions from a distance and like the sound of my own typing.

Ooh, back in the knife box Miss Sharp!

thumb
-

#2002958 - 12/22/12 05:24 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Look at this baby . . . Dammit, you could put new or additional innards in if you wanted to at that price . . . .

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/keyboard...in-ebony-polish

""

#2002972 - 12/22/12 06:40 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
Look at this baby . . . Dammit, you could put new or additional innards in if you wanted to at that price . . . .

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/keyboard...in-ebony-polish

But to be honest you couldn't. I'm not saying it is impossible in some theoretical sense but to the average DP owner/player the concept of replacing the onboard tone generators/other electronics/amps/speakers and action is just fantasy. On the face of it that piano is a bargain compared with the pseudo-grands offered by other DP manufacturers but you get what you pay for.

#2002975 - 12/22/12 06:54 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I have to agree. You get what you pay for. And what you get might be less than you expect.

#2002988 - 12/22/12 07:51 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: MacMacMac]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I think i`ll go round this afternoon, see if he`s got it in the shop . . .it`ll make somebody (not me heh heh) a good Christmas pressy

""

#2003188 - 12/22/12 05:38 PM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I take back what I said. This instrument looks and sounds great. But the action? I bet some of you would like it. I thought it was hideous. No better than the earlier models. But boy, did it look good!

Tried also the Yamaha Grand, CLP4 SOmething or other. Retailed at over £5k. Much better. In fact I tried every darned piano in the shop. Acoustic also. They had a Bluthner upright, with narrow black keys for fat fingered little Germans. Or British . . . .

Nearly as good as my own. SHE was glad I said that.

""

#2003299 - 12/23/12 12:37 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
bluebilly Offline

The cabinet work, and finish, on a lot of these cheap DPs is far superior to that of the mainline manufacturers but of course you can't judge a book by it's cover. I like my DP for playing but wouldn't describe it as a "nice piece of furniture", I wouldn't like it in my lounge, I have it in a small study room. To be honest it looks like something that as been knocked together without any regard to aesthetics.

#2003303 - 12/23/12 12:51 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
bluebilly, CN33?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2003344 - 12/23/12 04:52 AM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: peterws]
bluebilly Offline

Hi James,

I'm referring to all of the mainline makes Yamaha CLP, Roland HP, Casio Celviano and Kawai, the cases all seem to be constructed on similar lines, seem to be bits put together as they go along, flat pack quality. I know it's a make I've mentioned before that as caused the forum aficionados to have fits but that "Smallbrook" piano sold by Fair Deal Music in Brum is a fantastic piece of furniture, of course I'm not considering it's playability, if a small organisation like Fair Deal can source a cabinet maker with that skill I'm sure the big makers could too.

#2003499 - 12/23/12 01:03 PM Re: How do you rate Digianos? [Re: bluebilly]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

The cabinets of the CLP range (`98) were better than the later. They were bulletproof virtually. But they still came in a flat pack . . . advantage being you could drop`em down to gig with. And they looked well amongst the amplifiers and stuff.

""

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
157 registered (Akshay, accordeur, Anne'sson, acortot, 49 invisible), 1605 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153503 Topics
2249489 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
Today at 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
Today at 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
Today at 03:42 PM
Happy Birthday TwoSnowflakes
by gooddog
Today at 02:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission