Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1997619 - 12/10/12 10:21 PM grades
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I recently took my Grade 3 and am awaiting the results. However, if I have not passed I will retake it simply because I have put the work in and it would be a shame not to sit the exam and pass.

However, whilst I wait for the results, I am just playing some pieces for fun. I am really enjoying just playing for fun instead of playing and memorising scales etc for an exam. I wonder whether it might be a good idea to have some time out from taking exams and just continue playing for fun with no time constraints and deadlines to adhere to. I work full time and to do grade exams on top of a demanding job can be stressful. Life is short and should be enjoyed. I love the piano and cannot ever envisage giving it up, but its how you go about it which is the factor. Do I want to spend the next 5 years solidly going for grades, or do I come to a point where enough is enough and just play for fun with no deadlines with my teacher and learning in a more relaxed way?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1997687 - 12/11/12 01:15 AM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
You should play "for fun", too. You can actually do both at the same time. Piano should be "fun", shouldn't it?

#1997699 - 12/11/12 02:07 AM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
Peter K. Mose Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
IMO, people in the British Commonwealth countries are obsessed with the exam system as it relates to piano study. Why, I have no idea, except that it is tradition.

#1997702 - 12/11/12 02:22 AM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I have never cared about grades, but just picked music I like. Maybe not the most efficient way, but after all I play for fun and not for a living.

#1997703 - 12/11/12 02:25 AM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I adore and support what the exam systems promote - that is, a properly structured method for progress - but don't believe that they're necessary in most cases or should by any means be forced to be adhered to when there's any hesitation with the idea.

You can take whatever path you wish with your piano studies; if you enjoy the structure that you're currently being provided and have few doubts (a few are always okay, but try not to worry about them) about progress you've made, I say stick with it.

#1997748 - 12/11/12 06:57 AM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I really like the way the grades give you solid grounding in piano playing and I believe if you are going to play an instrument you should play properly or not at all. Its just that grades are very time consuming and unless you are a natural pianist with long fingers who finds it easy, you are going to have to work very hard. I for instance cannot comfortably reach an octave as my fingers are short but with a lot of practice and effort and stretching the hand, it can more or less be done. I am not at the stage yet where I can play with speed without making mistakes. I do however get carried away and sometimes play my scales very quickly just to prove that I can do it,but these concert pianist who wizz up and down the keys have been doing it for years and years. I have been only learning for four years. You know, when I think how far I have got from when I first started I give myself a pat on the back, but I want to be so much better and am impatient. Some of these natural pianists pick it up very quickly. There is a young boy at the music school where I go who took grades 1 to 4 and got distinctions every time. When he was given his pieces for the exam to learn, he did them in a couple of months to perfection whereas it would take me three times as long. I get there in the end but it does not come naturally to me, and there are some people who cannot even reach my level and have to be turned away by the teacher who says...I really do not think this is for you. If you really cannot grasp even the simple fundamentals then it is a waste of yours and your teachers time. At my school they give you the first lesson free to try you out just to see if you are worth teaching and to see if you as the pupil likes the piano enough to want to have lessons. My friends daughter took a few lessons, did not like it and left, and although she continued music and liked music, she did not like the piano and has switched to the clarinet and has passed grade 4. I on the other hand have always liked the piano and have never had any desire to try any other instrument.

If you look at the clip here of Helene Grimauld and how her fingers fly along at speed,this is what I meant. I want to eventually play like this but Helene has long fingers and was always a natural pianist and has been playing since early childhood.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/pMd1MaZAh5c[/video]

Edited by adultpianist (12/11/12 07:32 AM)

#1997790 - 12/11/12 09:11 AM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
If you worked towards Grade 3 and you bothered to sit the exam, then presumably you felt yourself fit for it. The benefit of the exam was not the sitting, nor the passing but the aiming. By all means support the Board financially if you like but aiming at the next level is a more worthwhile continuation. Does not your teacher agree?

The grades would give a more solid grounding if they relied more on learning a dozen pieces per grade instead of three or four.

The necessity of having to play properly stultifies the kind of creativity that develops players like Jerry Lee Lewis, glissandos, and, borrowing an example from another instrument, bottleneck guitar.

Anyone who learns to speak in a couple of years and can distinguish real words from the goo-goo gah-gahs thrown at them in their infancy has all it takes to succeed with music. It should be as compulsory as maths, drawing, reading and writing. Turning away on the strength of one lesson is a failing as a teacher.

Yes, some people have exceptional gifts. Hélène Grimaud is one of them. But piano playing has little to do with hand shape, size, or finger length. Piano playing is about the brain not the fingers.

My piano playing bears as much resemblance to Ms Grimaud's as my driving does to Schumacher's or Alonso's but it is still music, is still enjoyable and still worthwhile (he says, flattering himself). How lucky we are to be able to listen to Barenboim and Grimaud doing justice to mighty works while we deliver with bagatelles of no lesser beauty and pleasure if not matching in scale.

Speed is only one small aspect of music. Time beats differently for all of us. Beauty is what matters.

Compare these two performances of Scarlatti's Kp. 95:

#1997792 - 12/11/12 09:17 AM Re: grades [Re: zrtf90]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: zrtf90
The grades would give a more solid grounding if they relied more on learning a dozen pieces per grade instead of three or four.

That's a failing of how teaching is structured, IMHO, not of the grades themselves. There's nothing to keep a teacher and student from working through many pieces at a given grade level rather than just the planned three audition pieces, and then taking the exam as confirmation of a broad swath of material learned (even if only tested on a narrow sliver). It may lead to slower progression through the grades but it is the approach I would prefer to take as a student.

#1997999 - 12/11/12 05:26 PM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
itsahobbie Offline

you should do both time permitting. maybe take a break and play some pieces you love for fun. i started as an adult 12 or more years ago and never took an exam but now im getting interested in that. im actually starting to work on grade 5 but honestly i dont know if i can play the technique/ etudes and pieces up to speed but like somebody else said its the jorney not the result. and plus the effort and structure i know will help me achieve the result i want-- muscicality, not anything more. we play for fun and maybe occasionally to show off a little too if we can

#1998060 - 12/11/12 09:04 PM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
People often think that a law degree is a licence to print money, but the reality is, it is the lawyers that bring in clients that make the money. In other words it is what you do with your education that matters. The other thing that is funny is that people that go to art shool end up making movies and carpenters become famous chefs. There is no right or wrong but what you get out of the journey that counts. I discovered that I love learning music measure by measure, figuring out the rhythm, counting and playing the pieces I know and try to play them the best that can everytime I play them. Total joy. I don't care if I ever played for someone else or a audience of 1 or a 1000. Just sitting at a piano and playing anything is an awesome experience.

#1998299 - 12/12/12 11:14 AM Re: grades [Re: Michael_99]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Michael_99
People often think that a law degree is a licence to print money, but the reality is, it is the lawyers that bring in clients that make the money. In other words it is what you do with your education that matters. The other thing that is funny is that people that go to art shool end up making movies and carpenters become famous chefs. There is no right or wrong but what you get out of the journey that counts. I discovered that I love learning music measure by measure, figuring out the rhythm, counting and playing the pieces I know and try to play them the best that can everytime I play them. Total joy. I don't care if I ever played for someone else or a audience of 1 or a 1000. Just sitting at a piano and playing anything is an awesome experience.

+1

#1998857 - 12/13/12 10:34 AM Re: grades [Re: Kymber]
dhanraj Offline

hi,
i am planning to learn all the grades in contemporary music. Are there any good international music schools that provide a degree also teach all the grades from the beginning ?

#2001303 - 12/18/12 05:54 PM Re: grades [Re: dhanraj]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would just like to say that I have just got my results and have passed my Grade 3 exam.

#2001306 - 12/18/12 05:57 PM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
Whizbang Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Grats!

#2001316 - 12/18/12 06:05 PM Re: grades [Re: adultpianist]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Excellent! Thanks for letting us know.

Cathy

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Anticlock, aDino, aesop, 32 invisible), 1351 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156275 Topics
2295041 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
36 minutes 4 seconds ago
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
picking a fight: how many movements in op.110?
by beet31425
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Swamp Cooler and Air Conditioner- Use only One of them!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission