2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 186 of 341 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 340 341
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beeboss
Another new youtube tune from me today, i am on a roll
something a bit different though

http://youtu.be/Bf56EiAT7Ao

Watch out Herbie... beeboss is on the loose! Very cool. cool

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
So they were discussing this at Pianist Corner. Where do you stand on this? Me? Velocity = Tone. KJ makes his sound because he has absolutely fine control over the evenness of velocity at ALL moments, including placement of the note on the beat.
I don't believe in any other mumbo jumbo about altering tone production on a single note. It's all about Multiple notes to me.
Tone starts within, I have to have a inner sound that I want to achieve (which has to do with what I want to convey musically), otherwise it's just banging. Playing the piano is all about context, counterpoint, voicing, thinking orchestral (compositionally).

Re: The Pedals; they are all of use to a jazz pianist whom wishes to play and use dynamics. Especially the Una Corda, it's great for building that intimate sound.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> I have noticed that some really great players use the una corda quite a lot, although I am not sure that KJ does that much.
I shall see him 1st row in January at Carnegie Hall. I'll take a look.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
front row, wow. did you have to queue up outside to get those? or maybe sell your soul?
(i am seriously jealous)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Like Chris would say:
"vee haf hour weys"

Supposed to have a nice view of the keyboard. Saw him last year, same room, 6th row. This time should be even better. Such a roller coaster that concert was.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Congrats Knotty! I guess in my case, KJ was the start of the "new" season at that venue (Royce Hall). So I guess the Season ticket holders have first dibs. They probably knew about it months before. By the time I found out, hardly any seats left at any price.

I already saw that he did not use the Una Corda. In fact, he's standing up most of the time so he would only sit down on the ballads. He adjusts his tone by touch rather than other means. To get that kind of tone consistently, you have to hit the keys at a particular velocity all the time, which is so hard in jazz because we often don't know where are fingers will end up...

The Una Corda evens up the tone so individual notes can sound like KJ at moments smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

R
R
hey knotty see if you can do some spy recording and then post it up! hehe, j/k, I think Jarrett would flip out if he caught you.

So do most of you guys gig now? I may look for some for the holiday season.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>> hey knotty see if you can do some spy recording and then post it up! hehe, j/k, I think Jarrett would flip out if he caught you.
Last time he got quite upset because of pictures. He said "Imagine a time when people actually knew how to take pictures"
I think he was just right. What's the point?
I'm telling you the solo concerts are really stressful, and NY has got to be the friendliest audience. Everyone there is nuts, so they all have patience for KJ, I think.

The quality of his recordings over the years has become exceptional. I'll just stick to the records. I remember him doing some impressive boogie woogie, playing over the rainbow, and one or 2 of his own tunes. The Carnegie Hall is such a beautiful room, and to fill it with un-amplified piano is quite a task. You can hear everything that's going on.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
It's the kids that have the guts to do recordings...AND post it on youtube..I didn't have the guts.

I was unlucky too because I ended up sitting next to a guy who obviously needed a shower...It was distracting. I did have binoculars so I could see him pretty much closeup.

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by knotty
>>
I'm telling you the solo concerts are really stressful, and NY has got to be the friendliest audience. Everyone there is nuts, so they all have patience for KJ, I think.

Hey Knots
What do you mean ? Do you think he enjoys and relaxes in the trio but looks stressed when he has to do it all himself ?

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I want to thank everyone for furthering my education. All my life I'd called it the soft pedal and had never heard the phrase una corda.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
...All my life I'd called it the soft pedal and had never heard the phrase una corda.

Only on grands, and not all grands at that. On uprights the pedal brings the hammers closer to the strings rather than moving the action a few millimeters to the side to avoid strings (una corda--one string).

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
... and while were at it, are we all talking about the una corda pedal here, or the sostenuto? The sostenuto is used by very few people in the jazz realm at least unless for special effects (strumming strings). In other applications the need for a sustained chord or bass note while others are separated is uncommon, especially in a group setting.

That being said, I really love trying to use the sostenuto pedal in solo playing, but I'm at the stage that I'm mostly experimenting with it or throwing it in randomly rather than as a true musical element that is needed.

The una corda, on the other hand is pretty straight forward, and can be used much more easily in almost any setting to get a different sound from the piano not otherwise achieved by lowering volume of playing.

Last edited by scepticalforumguy; 11/08/11 10:45 PM. Reason: one too many words

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I have no sustenuto so I have no idea how to use on a grand.

So couldn't you use it to drone a bass line while soloing? I mean I'm trying to understand it's function from your description.

My Jazz Blog

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
you could use it to create more overtones, different overtones

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I have no sustenuto so I have no idea how to use on a grand.

So couldn't you use it to drone a bass line while soloing? I mean I'm trying to understand it's function from your description.

Well, maybe bass octaves or something, but since it is just a sustain pedal for the notes you assign, it would become pretty muddy to use for ostinatos. What kk said is probably more common use.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'm starting from zero here. You're going too advanced. I've never even tried it on any piano.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple

Hey Knots
What do you mean ? Do you think he enjoys and relaxes in the trio but looks stressed when he has to do it all himself ?

I think it would depend on the room. In my living room, the music is overwhelming. Especially with the trio, people have to talk quite loud.
Same in the small club.
But as the venue gets larger, you start hearing people's conversation.
I was at a classical violin + piano at the Strathmore here in DC last week. Another beautiful room, absolutely gorgeous acoustic. Some guy opened a piece of candy all the way across the room and I could hear him perfectly. I thought man, if it was KJ playing, he would be furious. It's not as large as Carnegie Hall but easily 1000 people. Unamplified. Can you imagine?
The violin carried beautifully also.

So I would imagine the expectation to be different.

I tell you, as a listener, it was very stressful last year. On many occasions, our little gang looked at each other wondering if he'd keep playing or stop.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
How do you enjoy that? That was the concert I missed. In a way, I don't feel I needed to be there. Fortunately, a Trio has a different vibe. Is he doing a Trio in Carnegie?

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
He'll play solo. I like his solo stuff the best.

Page 186 of 341 1 2 184 185 186 187 188 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission