Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2001605 - 12/19/12 08:42 AM How are you listening to your Christmas Music?
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Jeffrey Biegel shared this on FB. Wonderful classical Christmas Music on an internet station

If it only comes up on the radio station, go to the top and click on Holiday.

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/playlists/show/wqxr-holiday-stream-2012/2012/dec/18/

Speaking of Jeffrey, again, I am enjoying his wonderful Christmas CD - A Steinway Christmas Album which he released last year.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GL89OM/ref=pe_58730_27375510_pe_vfe_dt1

So, what are you listening to? Your CD's? Your favorite broadcast station? Internet station?

Celebrate the upcoming Solstice and Happy Holidays to all! LL

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2001651 - 12/19/12 10:46 AM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
the nosy ape Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Westford, MA
Aside from background music at stores or on TV, I listen to most of my Christmas music when either I or my kids are playing it.

#2001673 - 12/19/12 11:54 AM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Apart from playing through Liszt's Weihnachtsbaum, I listen to BBC Radio 3 where at this time of the year there's lots of classical Christmas music - several collegiate and professional choirs have sung live on the In Tune evening program, there was a live broadcast of Messiah last week, and Bach's Christmas Oratorio is due in a few days, the Advent Carol Service from St John's College, Cambridge was broadcast a couple of weekends ago, and last weekend there was 'Christmas around Europe' - Christmas music (classical and ethnic) from Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Spain, Latvia, Bulgaria.....what more could one want?

Oh, and there's of course the forthcoming Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from King's College Chapel, Cambridge (live on Radio 4 Christmas Eve, repeated on Radio 3 on Christmas Day).

#2001691 - 12/19/12 12:30 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...

The harmonies, entrances, cutoffs, and rhythmic precision = PERFECT
The diction = crazy

But it's still enjoyable to listen to smile

#2001710 - 12/19/12 01:21 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: Orange Soda King]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

The diction = crazy

"Glory to God in the Hyatt"? What room rate is He getting?

Seriously, though, folks, I find the above just too repetitive to be of any musical interest, although the precision is laudable.

Along with the requisite "Messiah" and "Christmas Oratorio" classical works, my Christmas music listening consists of very, very traditional (what else did you expect from me, what?) music on CD sung by well-trained, beautifully balanced choirs and groups (most English)
- (King's College, Westminster Abbey Choir, Anonymous 4, Choir of New College Oxford, Clare College Choir, St John's College Choir, Tallis Scholars, Taverner Consort), and a few operatic soloists (Sutherland, Schwartzkopf, Pavarotti).

Please spare me the pop singers and their Christmas endeavours.

Regards,

#2001743 - 12/19/12 02:30 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: BruceD]
Vid Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Originally Posted By: BruceD

Thanks for the chuckle Bruce. I don't think I could hear any other word there now!

#2001809 - 12/19/12 05:01 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I haven't been listening to Christmas music. I'm not a grinch. I just don't happen to celebrate Christmas.

I've been listening to a jaw-dropping CD of Rene Fleming singing a variety of arias. I picked it up at a used bookstore for about $5 U.S. and I can't understand why anyone would part with it. Her voice and the emotions she puts into the music give me goosebumps!

Deborah

#2001825 - 12/19/12 05:51 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
Gatsbee13 Offline

Loc: So Cal
ive been listening to Christmas music through my KRK Studio Monitors, which are connected to a external audio interface and my computer has a usb going to the interface. mostly listening through iTunes and watching some youtube performances.

heres a pic:

Edited by Gatsbee13 (12/19/12 05:52 PM)

#2001850 - 12/19/12 06:39 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

How I am listening to "my" Christmas music is, so far, completely incidental to shopping, so maybe it's not really mine.

Funny, I'd never thought of it as "incidental music" before, but it can be sort of seen that way - music to shop by. And it doesn't have to be Christmas shopping - almost any kind of shopping this time of year will get that soundtrack.

#2001876 - 12/19/12 07:56 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
What? -- No Chanticleer?????

It wouldn't be Christmas without it!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2001883 - 12/19/12 08:18 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
I have Sirius-XM satellite radio, and channel 75, the lighter classical channel, is playing all xmas music now, but along the line of the artists that Bruce mentioned above. There is also plenty of Chanticleer, Libera, The King's Singers, Canadian Brass, Apollo's Fire, and lots of other great musicians and music.

#2001892 - 12/19/12 08:46 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
Damon Online   happy
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: lilylady

Speaking of Jeffrey, again, I am enjoying his wonderful Christmas CD - A Steinway Christmas Album which he released last year.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GL89OM/ref=pe_58730_27375510_pe_vfe_dt1

So, what are you listening to? Your CD's? Your favorite broadcast station? Internet station?

I saw that album on Itunes and am considering it. I have a large collection of Christmas music on my ipod.

#2001921 - 12/19/12 10:50 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
pianojosh23 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Liszt's magisteral oratorio: Christus.

That's part one, the 'Christmas' part. It's also probably the weakest although it's still wonderful.

Edited by pianojosh23 (12/19/12 10:52 PM)

#2001954 - 12/20/12 01:29 AM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Always King's College at this time of year.

One of my favourite pop seasonal songs is 'Christmas Time is Here', and Vince Guaraldi and Rosemary Clooney are particularly special!

#2002116 - 12/20/12 12:00 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: BruceD]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...

The diction = crazy

Seriously, though, folks, I find the above just too repetitive to be of any musical interest, although the precision is laudable.

Along with the requisite "Messiah" and "Christmas Oratorio" classical works, my Christmas music listening consists of very, very traditional (what else did you expect from me, what?) music on CD sung by well-trained, beautifully balanced choirs and groups (most English)
- (King's College, Westminster Abbey Choir, Anonymous 4, Choir of New College Oxford, Clare College Choir, St John's College Choir, Tallis Scholars, Taverner Consort), and a few operatic soloists (Sutherland, Schwartzkopf, Pavarotti).

Please spare me the pop singers and their Christmas endeavours.

Regards,

You're right, it's not of great musical interest, but I love the ostinato.

The choirs you named are fantastic. Do you know Harry Christophers and The Sixteen? Or even better, Kamer Youth Choir? smile

#2002120 - 12/20/12 12:12 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Am I the only person who is sick of Christmas music? Seems like half the year here is about Christmas.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2002136 - 12/20/12 12:42 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: Pogorelich.]
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Am I the only person who is sick of Christmas music? Seems like half the year here is about Christmas.

Bach's Weihnachtsoratorium, BWV 248 isn't a work you hear everyday. Nor Saint-Saëns's Oratorio de Noël. Nor a lot of other Christmas music. Not even Liszt's Weihnachtsbaum.

Unlike Chopin..... grin

#2002138 - 12/20/12 12:44 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: Pogorelich.]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

In our neck of the woods, Christmas decorations (in stores) tend to be put up on November 1st - and holiday "canned music" starts getting piped through the loudspeakers......

Fortunately I spend very little time in the malls these days - so it isn't an issue.

Our local classical music station starts playing "holiday" music a couple of weeks before Christmas. At least I can switch that off if I reach the saturation point.

BUT - the five church services I'm participating in this coming Sunday through Tuesday (as chorister and accompanist) are and entirely different matter....... Making music is a joy !! grin

#2002161 - 12/20/12 01:19 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
4000 Post Club Member

Though I'm an atheist, I miss singing in a choir in carol services, like I used to do at school. There have been so many wonderful contemporary carols composed in recent years, like John Tavener's The Lamb, and Jan Sandström's Det är en ros utsprungen.

#2002192 - 12/20/12 01:56 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: Pogorelich.]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
That's especially true when Christmas is not one's holiday! thumb

Deborah

#2002244 - 12/20/12 04:06 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: Orange Soda King]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
[...] Do you know Harry Christophers and The Sixteen? [...]

The only recording I have of Christophers is a BBC Music recording of Messiah. And when it comes to listening to that work, I always turn to my recording with Trevor Pinnock (Auger, von Otter, Chance, Crook, Tomlinson) and the English Concert.

Regards,

#2002248 - 12/20/12 04:14 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: gooddog]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: gooddog
That's especially true when Christmas is not one's holiday! thumb

Good point !!!!! grin

#2002250 - 12/20/12 04:18 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: BruceD]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
...I always turn to my recording with Trevor Pinnock (Auger, von Otter, Chance, Crook, Tomlinson) and the English Concert.

But compared to Thomas Beecham's all out Verdian assault, Pinnock sounds almost prim and proper. wink

#2002481 - 12/21/12 05:34 AM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: BruceD]
4000 Post Club Member

[...] Do you know Harry Christophers and The Sixteen? [...]

The only recording I have of Christophers is a BBC Music recording of Messiah. And when it comes to listening to that work, I always turn to my recording with Trevor Pinnock (Auger, von Otter, Chance, Crook, Tomlinson) and the English Concert.

Regards,

Last Christmas, I went to a concert in the Royal Festival Hall in London while The Sixteen were giving a Christmas concert next door in the Queen Elizabeth Hall. I heard that after their concert, they would be singing carols in the foyer, so I popped into the QEH after my concert to hear them - people gathered around as they sang for half an hour several well-known carols. The audience also joined in, with Christophers's encouragement, and we all had a great time.

#2002978 - 12/22/12 07:12 AM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Try listening to NPR - they've been interspersing choice pieces of underplayed Christmas music with their regular classical fare. Nice mix.

#2002986 - 12/22/12 07:49 AM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Watched some of Michael Buble last nite. Nice voice, but I couldn't stand watching him. So many phony 'stage presence' smiles and cocking his head. The Washington Christmas was a little better.

Anything else to recommend for watching?

BTW, I guess I don't get too tired of Xmas music since I don't hit the malls, and usually only listen to NPR so I don't get the old ho hum stuff (thank goodness!) I like that the station mentioned above plays the more unusual and hardly repeats.

#2003044 - 12/22/12 10:48 AM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
Bashimatsu Offline

Haven't been able to get past that pop sounding Christmas. Although, I'd really love to get into some of the more heavier stuff you'd find from a more classical period.

Perhaps I could get some suggestions for this "heavier stuff" here. Whenever I think of great Christmas music, I think of Handel's "Messiah." This isn't written for piano, but that's the style I'd like to go for. Any suggestions?

#2003247 - 12/22/12 09:19 PM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: Bashimatsu]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bashimatsu

Perhaps I could get some suggestions for this "heavier stuff" here. Whenever I think of great Christmas music, I think of Handel's "Messiah." This isn't written for piano, but that's the style I'd like to go for. Any suggestions?

If you look at the last piece in this collection by Alkan, you'll find that it is a transcription of the Pastorale (Pifa) from Handel's Messiah. The listings at IMSLP give no indication that it exists, but it does.

#2003366 - 12/23/12 06:05 AM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: lilylady]
Verbum mirabilis Offline

I've been listening some carols (and the christmas oratorio) in youtube. I've also been playing the arrangements I made for school (I actually think they're quite good). I've tried to avoid the pop stuff.
Bach: P&F in D minor, book 2

#2003376 - 12/23/12 06:41 AM Re: How are you listening to your Christmas Music? [Re: Bashimatsu]
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bashimatsu
Haven't been able to get past that pop sounding Christmas. Although, I'd really love to get into some of the more heavier stuff you'd find from a more classical period.

Apart from my suggestions above of the Christmas Oratorios by Bach and Saint-Saëns (a very charming piece with prominent use of harp), there's also Corelli's Christmas Concerto and Berlioz's L'enfance du Christ (The Childhood of Christ) which contains the famous 'Shepherd's Farewell', often sung by itself as a carol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (AndresD, AndrewJCW, 36251, Allard, Abby Pianoman, 36 invisible), 1337 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156329 Topics
2295969 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Feurich 190 cm grand from 1920 - Is it any good?
by pinkfloydhomer
31 minutes 51 seconds ago
Who's gigging with MP11
by 36251
Today at 07:45 AM
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission