Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2001360 - 12/18/12 07:44 PM Chord tremolos is boogie woogie
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
As a mostly classical pianist beginning to play boogie and New Orleans style piano I have a question about the ever present "chord tremolos". For example, when what I would call a C major chord tremolo is notated it is usually written with the C and E in one eight note and the upper G and C in the other eight note. I find this kind of tremolo extremely awkward and it rarely if ever appears in classical music.

Much easier for me would be to tremolo between the low C and an upper triad of E,G,C. Is this how it's usually done or do the best boogie players actually tremolo according to the notation?

Piano & Music Accessories
#2001609 - 12/19/12 08:48 AM Re: Chord tremolos is boogie woogie [Re: pianoloverus]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I know very little about how to play boogie woogie, but I'd suggest that when you leave the classical domain, you should stop worrying about what it notated and simply listen to how it sounds. If the way that is easier for you sounds right, it is right. If the other way sounds better, than it is worth working on. The best boogie players probably haven't looked at much sheet music in years.

#2001619 - 12/19/12 09:18 AM Re: Chord tremolos is boogie woogie [Re: jjo]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: jjo
I know very little about how to play boogie woogie, but I'd suggest that when you leave the classical domain, you should stop worrying about what it notated and simply listen to how it sounds. If the way that is easier for you sounds right, it is right. If the other way sounds better, than it is worth working on. The best boogie players probably haven't looked at much sheet music in years.
But I think there should be a reason why people who notated the famous boogie solos chose to do it the way I mentioned unless it's just convention to notate it that way but play it the second way I gave. Also, what sounds right to a very inexperienced boogie player(or classical player) like myself is not necessarily right when one becomes far more experienced.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/19/12 09:19 AM)

#2001637 - 12/19/12 09:59 AM Re: Chord tremolos is boogie woogie [Re: pianoloverus]
Kbeaumont Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Many boogie players I have seen use just two notes. The tonic and a lower 3rd. For example in a C chord they alternate between C and E an octave lower. For G it would be G & B, etc. Like a 1st inversion chord without the 5th. I have seen them use whole chords like Fats Domino does in Blueberry Hill. But many of the real fast boogie players just use the 2 note chord shell.

#2001670 - 12/19/12 11:42 AM Re: Chord tremolos is boogie woogie [Re: pianoloverus]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Most early practitioners of Boogie-Woogie, Blues, and New Orleans styles of music did not learn from scores, because scores simply did not exist.

Instead, they learned by listening to the music...That is why the best thing is to learn as they did...listen to the music, and pick it up that way...something that most Classical musicians are not skilled at.

About the tremelos, listen to the original, and, if you use the score, treat it as a guide, rather than an exact blueprint to be followed note for note, and adapt the tremelo to your technique ability.

Also, Boogie-Woogie requires different techniques than does most Classical.
I have tried to teach this music to several accomplished Classical players, all of whom had considerable difficulty despite their prowess with Classical, and they were shocked that they could not relatively easily pick it up.

It has different rhythms, and different technique challenges.

I wish you all the best with this endeavor...Boogie-Woogie is joyous music, well worth the diligence it takes to play it well.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (Atrys, anotherscott, Andrey, ajames, AndrewJCW, 38 invisible), 1721 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75573 Members
42 Forums
156252 Topics
2294713 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brahms
by mellifluous
11 minutes 42 seconds ago
The process of shopping / buying a new piano
by Eric5238
22 minutes 40 seconds ago
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
40 minutes 41 seconds ago
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
Today at 08:30 AM
T.J. Rochford Piano, trying to uncover some history
by Mikey Bob
Today at 07:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission