2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
OP Offline
D
I've been plugging away with the Alfred Adult All In One. To help with my learning, I decided to purchase the audio and midi disks. The audio is a couple of CDs. But...

The MIDI disk is a FLOPPY DISK!!! I have seven computers - NONE of them have a floppy disk. Most computers don't come with a floppy any more. And I haven't seen software distributed on a floppy disk in the last decade! It is beyond stupid that any company would distribute files that can't be loaded to the vast majority of modern computers! What's worse that NO WHERE in their product description do they explain that it's distributed on a FLOPPY!

Edit: This was originally aimed at Alfred. However, one poster below pointed out that the primary fault lies with the retailer - in this case Sheet Music Plus. Their website does not describe the media.

Some blame still lies with Alfred. From their product web page (http://www.alfred.com/Products/Alfr...Course-GM-Disk-for-Level-1--00-5725.aspx), the media description is the same "General MIDI Disk". I searched their site and found nothing about what that means. So the customer has no idea that they are buying unusable media.

There are a lot of Alfred-lovers in this forum, so I doubt if what I write will have any effect on you. Each to his/her own, but they will never see my money again.

Of course, I will be very happy to share my "wonderful" product experience with anyone who will listen.

Dan.

Last edited by Dan Clark; 12/20/12 01:33 PM. Reason: Changed title

PIANO
Keybd: Kawai MP11
SW: PianoTeq 7
HW: Core i7-6700K; 32GB; (2) SSDs
Audio Int: FocusRite 2i4

MUSIC COMPOSITION
Keybd: Native Inst KK S88 Mk II
DAW: Cubase
SW: PianoTeq 7; NI Komplete 13 Libs; Spitfire Libs; Audio Imperia Nucleus Libs
Proc: AMD 3970X; 128GB; (6) SSDs
Audio Int: FocusRite 2i2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
OP Offline
D
Throwing it away is a better solution.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Not sure which specific book/course you are referring to.

You are probably better off looking for the item you are interested in on their website. Then get the ISBN number. It is fairly categorized so you can make sure you are getting what you want. Additionally, some of the book covers have an icon representing the digital content media format.

This page describes "Format: Book & CD" or book only.

Here showing floppy disk:

[Linked Image]

Floppy disk:

[Linked Image]

O
O
Originally Posted by Dan Clark
I've been plugging away with the Alfred Adult All In One. To help with my learning, I decided to purchase the audio and midi disks. The audio is a couple of CDs. But...

The MIDI disk is a FLOPPY DISK!!! I have seven computers - NONE of them have a floppy disk. Most computers don't come with a floppy any more. And I haven't seen software distributed on a floppy disk in the last decade! It is beyond stupid that any company would distribute files that can't be loaded to the vast majority of modern computers! What's worse that NO WHERE in their product description do they explain that it's distributed on a FLOPPY!

There are a lot of Alfred-lovers in this forum, so I doubt if what I write will have any effect on you. Each to his/her own, but they will never see my money again.

Of course, I will be very happy to share my "wonderful" product experience with anyone who will listen.

Dan.

Have you contacted them and asked for them to mail you a CD with those files or at least an electronic copy via email? You know, give them a chance to fix the problem before going online to complain.

Originally Posted by ONfrank
Have you contacted them and asked for them to mail you a CD with those files or at least an electronic copy via email? You know, give them a chance to fix the problem before going online to complain.

This.

In fact, given the small size of MIDI files, they may even offer to send you the data as a compressed zip archive.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Aboard Datawake in the San Juan Islands
(with boat piano)
Nomadic Research Labs
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...There are a lot of Alfred-lovers in this forum, so I doubt if what I write will have any effect on you. Each to his/her own, but they will never see my money again. .."

Dan Clark, I congratulate you on your perseverance with your piano studies--- I know it isn't easy to keep it going.

It happens, with print music editions, that many are not such hot sellers that every copy flies off the shelves soon after publication. In fact, I've seen cases where one music store will buy out the stock of another which has gone out of business, and the individual copies can be quite old. They're not milk; they don't go sour within a few days, so they last and last in stock.

So you have acquired a technological antique. At the time floppy disks were first current, the CD had not been invented nor anticipated--- even the hard drive was an uncommon and unreliable device. So their day lasted for some 20 years or better.

I realize it's easy to fire off an angry post to a website (also not invented in the heyday of the floppy disc, by the way), but Alfred is a good publishing house which, I don't doubt, would prefer to make a customer happy--- and after all, what you are asking for is quite reasonable. Why don't you send your e-mail request to them? I don't see that we are in a position to do anything for you. The title you mentioned is still in print, and Alfred does use CD's these days; I like what they've done with packaging CD's with performance editions, for just the same reason you want one for the book you have--- the mind (mine, anyway) puts it together better if I can both see and hear and play.

In general, a civil tone evokes a more helpful response--- especially when firing your first round. Save the heavy artillery and the phalanxes of bombers until you need them. Sometimes the enemy surrenders the fort without the invader firing a single shot, or losing a single man.

I would imagine the external USB floppy reader would cost as much as the whole book did in the first place, and you would probably use it only this once. Ingenious solution for the techie, though.

Clef

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Or you could go to the local library and use their old machines.

My work place has a couple of old machines specificially because some clients still use FDDs

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I had a similar experience recently, where I ordered an accompaniment / demo for a church cantata, and they sent a - wait for it - a cassette tape. Really? I have no way of playing a tape, and even less interest in making the attempt. (It has been all CDs or digital downloads with all of the publishers I've dealt with for a number of years - replacing the previous all cassette tape technology).

Before long, we will be complaining that we were sent a product on a CD, technology long replaced by neural implant, or whatever!

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
Before long, we will be complaining that we were sent a product on a CD, technology long replaced by.......whatever!

We are already there......"What? Media is not on Cloud?"

Mac Minis no longer ship with CD/DVD player.

S
S
Keystoimagination.com sells the MIDI files for educational publishers (including Alfred) as downloads or on USB thumb drive.

Teacher. 1926 Steinway M. Kawai CE200. Casio PX3. Yamaha P-60. Yamaha NP-30. Roland C-30 Digital Harpsichord. Roland Integra 7.
D
OP Offline
D
It isn't a book. It's a midi disk that I bought from Sheet Music Plus. It's the Midi Disk specified here: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...ourse-Level-1-General-MIDI-Disk/3541299. It says the format is "Midi Disk". The only rational assumption to make would be "midi files on a CDRom".

And it has a copyright date of 1995. I have no idea about the quality of these files.

I guess they got me on this one. Nothing like making a buck at the expense of the customer.

I'm a normal person - I make mistakes all the time. It irritates when I make a mistake. However, I despise vendors that misstate or fail to clearly state what the customer is getting.

So why don't I send it back? Because the time and hassle of calling the vendor, getting an RMA, packing it up, and shipping it back is not cost-effective. For me, it's cheaper to throw that garbage in the trash.

Dan.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Nomadness

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I had read this before buying the Alfred stuff.

Dan.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"...There are a lot of Alfred-lovers in this forum, so I doubt if what I write will have any effect on you. Each to his/her own, but they will never see my money again. .."

Dan Clark, I congratulate you on your perseverance with your piano studies--- I know it isn't easy to keep it going.

It happens, with print music editions, that many are not such hot sellers that every copy flies off the shelves soon after publication. In fact, I've seen cases where one music store will buy out the stock of another which has gone out of business, and the individual copies can be quite old. They're not milk; they don't go sour within a few days, so they last and last in stock.

So you have acquired a technological antique. At the time floppy disks were first current, the CD had not been invented nor anticipated--- even the hard drive was an uncommon and unreliable device. So their day lasted for some 20 years or better.

I realize it's easy to fire off an angry post to a website (also not invented in the heyday of the floppy disc, by the way), but Alfred is a good publishing house which, I don't doubt, would prefer to make a customer happy--- and after all, what you are asking for is quite reasonable. Why don't you send your e-mail request to them? I don't see that we are in a position to do anything for you. The title you mentioned is still in print, and Alfred does use CD's these days; I like what they've done with packaging CD's with performance editions, for just the same reason you want one for the book you have--- the mind (mine, anyway) puts it together better if I can both see and hear and play.

In general, a civil tone evokes a more helpful response--- especially when firing your first round. Save the heavy artillery and the phalanxes of bombers until you need them. Sometimes the enemy surrenders the fort without the invader firing a single shot, or losing a single man.

I would imagine the external USB floppy reader would cost as much as the whole book did in the first place, and you would probably use it only this once. Ingenious solution for the techie, though.

Clef,

In general, I agree with your points. That said, they knowingly sent out this thing. I'm not about waste my time dealing with an organization like that. And I'm not going to throw good money down a toilet getting a one-time-use floppy reader just so I can read that thing.

The other stuff associated music came on a CD, which was fine. Supposedly it lines up the the book. Unfortunately, this makes me question all of it - book, cd, midi files.

Dan.

Last edited by Dan Clark; 12/19/12 11:38 PM.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
I had a similar experience recently, where I ordered an accompaniment / demo for a church cantata, and they sent a - wait for it - a cassette tape. Really? I have no way of playing a tape, and even less interest in making the attempt. (It has been all CDs or digital downloads with all of the publishers I've dealt with for a number of years - replacing the previous all cassette tape technology).

Before long, we will be complaining that we were sent a product on a CD, technology long replaced by neural implant, or whatever!

This whole episode makes me think that Alfred is a pretty backward company. Selling it as a digital download would would be much more cost effective for them and would keep customers happy. This is just nuts.

Dan.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
O
O
It isn't a book. It's a midi disk that I bought from Sheet Music Plus. It's the Midi Disk specified here: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...ourse-Level-1-General-MIDI-Disk/3541299. It says the format is "Midi Disk". The only rational assumption to make would be "midi files on a CDRom".

And it has a copyright date of 1995. I have no idea about the quality of these files.

I guess they got me on this one. Nothing like making a buck at the expense of the customer.

I'm a normal person - I make mistakes all the time. It irritates when I make a mistake. However, I despise vendors that misstate or fail to clearly state what the customer is getting.

So why don't I send it back? Because the time and hassle of calling the vendor, getting an RMA, packing it up, and shipping it back is not cost-effective. For me, it's cheaper to throw that garbage in the trash.

Dan.

But the question remains; did you ask the publisher to fix it for you or was the first thing on your mind to come here to rant and warn us all? It sounds like you haven't even tried.

By the way, disk = magnetic media, disc = optical media.
It's not like they deliberately misled you. The book was written and the notes prepared in 1995 and left as is. I don't see the problem. I don't expect a publisher to go back to change notes and descriptions (and issue notices to retailers) on near 17 year old books.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by ONfrank

Dan.

But the question remains; did you ask the publisher to fix it for you or was the first thing on your mind to come here to rant and warn us all? It sounds like you haven't even tried.

By the way, disk = magnetic media, disc = optical media.
It's not like they deliberately misled you. The book was written and the notes prepared in 1995 and left as is. I don't see the problem. I don't expect a publisher to go back to change notes and descriptions (and issue notices to retailers) on near 17 year old books.

I have not and will not deal with a company like this. I've had my say. If you and others want to buy Alfred's stuff, that's your choice. I choose not to.

Dan.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
For me, it's cheaper to throw that garbage in the trash.

Perhaps you have a friend who has a floppy disc drive, or access to one at their work place. What about a computer store, that sells used computers? They might be able to help you out.

D
OP Offline
D
I appreciate the advice, but I'm done with Alfred. I just threw out the book, cd, and floppy.

Dan.

PIANO

MUSIC COMPOSITION
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission