Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
126 registered (accordeur, Anita Potter, antony, Anne'sson, A Guy, anotherscott, 39 invisible), 1469 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2001951 - 12/20/12 01:16 AM Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne?
swimMommy Offline

After 2 and half years, our 9-year-old daughter is getting close to growing out of the digital piano we bought for her. So now we are looking into getting an acoustic for her. We came across a 2006 (not verified) CW 1520QA (cherry) on craglist. The owner said they bought it new and his kids played for a few years then stopped. The last tuning was a couple of years ago. The piano is said to be in excellent condition. My question is: is 5K a reasonable price given the info above? We have made an appointment to look at the piano in a couple of days. The owner doesn't know what type of action it has.

Thank you very much for your input!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2002037 - 12/20/12 07:44 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Yes, that is a good price for a 6 year old Walter 1520QA. You will need to verify the exact year and have it inspected by a pro. Walters are very fine instruments and because of their low production numbers, they are quite scarce on the used market.

Good luck in your search and let us know your reactions after playing the instrument and the assessment by a tech.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2002038 - 12/20/12 07:48 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Dear Swim-

We could say that CW is a good maker, the purported age is favorable (this can easily be verified by the serial number), and that if the piano is in acceptable condition that it would be a very definite improvement over a digital for a young piano student.

I would suggest that you--- and anyone who is considering a used piano--- would do well to hire a qualified piano tech to inspect the piano for condition... possibly, holding it with a modest, refundable deposit until this can be done. Used CWs do not come into the market so very often. I think the price might be ok, depending on the condition and considering other expenses, such as the cost for moving it (we don't know how far away it is).

You might go to a piano store which carries Charles Walters and see what they have, how you like them, and what kind of deal you might make. I have seen some very favorable deals on the regular CW 1500 at times (the more plain case--- personally, I prefer it). There are other models by other makers which can be bought new for not much more money (Kawai makes a few I like, for example).

The Renner action is much preferable to the stock Chinese-made action, though it costs a bit more. I like the form factor of the CW 1500 for a young child, with its full-width music desk and its relatively short height... yet with a sound one might expect from a much larger piano. There is a noticeable tenor break, but that is almost inevitable in a small piano.

I realize that five grand (plus moving, plus tuning and putting it in repair) is a significant amount of money for a young family, and that shopping wisely is important. You may have a good deal on a good piano. I would only say, don't be blinded by a price tag, for there are other costs and other factors, and this is not the only piano in the world. With used pianos, condition is king, and this decision will be sitting in your living room for many years.

Good luck! And good for you, that you are giving your daughter such an opportunity--- and good for her, that she has stuck with it... for it will pay off for a lifetime.

#2002144 - 12/20/12 12:52 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
I have no idea of what a 2006 Charles Walter piano would be worth, but from the excellent feedback about Charles Walter pianos on this forum, I would guess that it could be a beautiful piano. Unfortunately, here in New Zealand, I have never seen one of these pianos. However, I remember sending an email to the company asking about their availability "down under" and I received a very polite and helpful reply from a member of the Walter family. I would think that they are pianos crafted with dedication and care in a venerable family business.

Kind regards,

Robert.

Edited by Robert 45 (12/20/12 12:53 PM)

#2002193 - 12/20/12 01:56 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

New Zealand--- Robert45, you are just the guy I have been looking for. Since it's the End of the World, especially in New Zealand, on the other side of the International Date Line where it's already tomorrow, I've been wondering how that is going. Your answer as of this morning (our morning--- your night), suggests that the world still exists.

It may be holding off until it reaches the local Mayan time zone, in Guatemala. But of course, I really don't know what it may have in mind.

What you said about no Charles Walter pianos in New Zealand made me think, "What a great sales opportunity, if the company could make it happen." For they do make a nice instrument at an attractive price point, which I would imagine would be appreciated in the ANZAC region... and other companies find it possible and profitable to ship--- even if it is half the globe away (if that half is still with us today).

As I remember, there were posts here some time back about their plans to offer an upright in a taller size, but using the design parameters that have made their pianos in the shorter case sound so much bigger than one would expect from their height. As I remember, the thread contributors said that it was already designed, but that they were unable to put it into production because the recession-caused slump in sales had dried up the development funds.

Of course, I'm not that well-informed about what goes on within the company, and who knows for sure if the people who posted were. But there was some excitement over it. Many of us cannot afford the very expensive fine pianos, and don't want the cheap and crappy pianos... so there's something in us that wants an outfit like CW to do well.

Every year, Robert, I enjoy your fireworks and celebration of the New Year when it is still yesterday here; it's a staple of cable news. Many happy returns to you, if the occasion occurs again!

#2002304 - 12/20/12 05:52 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: Jeff Clef]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Hi Jeff,
Yes, it's a beautiful sunny, summer's day here in Auckland on December 21st and you can all relax.

Merry Christmas!

Robert.

#2002342 - 12/20/12 07:29 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: Jeff Clef]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
As I remember, there were posts here some time back about their plans to offer an upright in a taller size, but using the design parameters that have made their pianos in the shorter case sound so much bigger than one would expect from their height. As I remember, the thread contributors said that it was already designed, but that they were unable to put it into production because the recession-caused slump in sales had dried up the development funds.

Of course, I'm not that well-informed about what goes on within the company, and who knows for sure if the people who posted were. But there was some excitement over it. Many of us cannot afford the very expensive fine pianos, and don't want the cheap and crappy pianos... so there's something in us that wants an outfit like CW to do well.

The Walter 50" is all designed but not in production. Until the U.S. market improves for all industries it does not make sense to introduce a new model that will not be mass produced for low prices.
I was told this week that it may be coming sooner than later now that they have a dealer in China.

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#2003236 - 12/22/12 08:25 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
swimMommy Offline

Here is an update. Instead of going to see the used CW first, we decided to visit a local piano store first, recommended by our daughter's piano teacher. We spent close to 3 hours there. Our daughter played some Yamaha's (U1, U3, P22), as well as some Charles Walter uprights, some Schimmel uprights (out of our budget range). We had set our budget somewhere around 6-8K, but we also decided that we can be flexible within reason if we find something we really like.

Not surprisingly, our 9-year-old couldn't tell us a whole a lot about the pianos, how they feel, how the actions are. Both my husband and I liked the sound of the CW's much better than the Yamaha's.

We were quoted $7900 for 1500 with Walter action and $9400-10K for those with Renner action (some are 1520).

My husband really liked the one around 10K (sound and look). That was when the person who was helping us gave us a lesson on "action" (on grands, action is aided not by springs but gravity) and he said that by the time our daughter is at about level 7, her development can be hindered by practicing on an upright. He sort of implied that if we were to spend 10K on an upright, we'd better off (for our daughter's sake) getting a baby grand at almost the same price (such as a Yamaha GB1K).

Well, since we were there already, we tried out the GB1. It was bright just like other Yamaha's. I didn't like it. My husband was hesitating because the sale person had implied that a grand would be better for our daughter.

After we got home, I spend a couple of hours on this forum searching for an answer. My conclusion is that most people (if not all) agree that a top-quality upright like CW is better than a low-quality baby grand. Given that our daughter is still a beginner (she is around level 4, she does do some level 5, 6 stuff for her rehearsal), she should be just fine with a great upright like CW.

The good news is that the piano store has a trade-up policy. If our daughter ever needs a grand, we can bring in the upright and trade up for a grand. That will be at least a few years...

Our next step is to take our daughter's teacher to the store....

If you are here, thank you for reading :-) and have a great holiday season!

Hopefully we are very close to getting a piano.

#2003255 - 12/22/12 09:48 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"...My conclusion is that most people (if not all) agree that a top-quality upright like CW is better than a low-quality baby grand..."

You are a smart lady.

If there is a Kawai dealer within a reasonable distance, you might try out some models in their K-series (I'd say, K-3 and up). The action is quite good, the keytops are better than many other pianos, and they are not voiced so aggressively bright (the opinion of, as you say, some not all). And the price point is what you're looking for.

If you and your husband like the CW, though--- why not. Nice piano.

Thanks for the update.

#2003424 - 12/23/12 09:11 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Congratulations s-Mommy. You are proceeding in a very thoughtful manner and you, and your husband, seem to be able to discern the qualities of a piano's voice.

I agree that an upright would suit the needs of your daughter at this point and with the trade-up option, you will have some security with your purchase if and when a grand would become appropriate. Yes, there is a difference in the action of a grand, but she would not be limited by the vertical at this point in her development.

Being familiar with the Walters, I would recommend going with the Renner action. As your daughter progresses, the action will "keep up" with her technical advancement.

I wish you well in your search, keep us posted, and Happy Holidays to all.

#2003596 - 12/23/12 05:54 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
mahermusic Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
We purchased our Charles Walter Queen Anne in 2008, and have been playing it (almost) every day. There isn't another brand of piano I would rather have in my living room. Best of luck!
Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal

#2011498 - 01/09/13 12:05 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
swimMommy Offline

Our new piano is here! It is a Charles Walter Traditional and it looks gorgeous in our living room! It sounds so beautiful that it makes me smile to listen to my daughter play and to play it myself!

I'd like to thank all of you for your kind help. I had never even heard of CW before visiting this forum. Now we have a piano which I am sure our entire family will enjoy for many years to come! THANK YOU!

#2011514 - 01/09/13 12:59 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
backto_study_piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
From what I read - it looks like you don't play - YET.

With a lovely piano calling you now, when do you start?

#2011567 - 01/09/13 05:49 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
SwimMommy,

Happy piano! I feel you went through the process in totally the right way and you made a very thoughtful choice. I happen to really enjoy the Walter pianos and you will love it for many years, I am sure.

Congratulations,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#2011601 - 01/09/13 08:18 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Congratulations Swim!

There is no doubt that your daughter will love the piano and you and your husband get to listen and grin. You did very well with your search.

There is a tradition at PW, and that is sending photos of your new piano for all to see and to OOh and AAh about. Hope we'll get to see you new piano.

Enjoy,

#2011694 - 01/09/13 12:51 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
swimMommy Offline

Once I figure out how to post pictures, I'll be happy to send a photo of our piano.

To backto_study_piano: I didn't learn to play piano as a child. When my daughter started 2 and half years ago, I tagged along. I gave up after about a year, when she was way ahead of me and other interests of mine took priority (like swimming and running which were more enjoyable and less frustrating to me).

With the CW piano, I am ready to play again! I intend not to give up this time. I was happy to notice that I haven't forgotten anything I learned before - I am where I had left off.

I do have one question for you experts. I noticed that it is quite easy for my daughter (9) to memorize a piece of music, but very hard for me. Is it me or is it a problem for most adult players?

Your input is appreciated.

#2011700 - 01/09/13 01:10 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Congratulations on your CW piano!

And, FWIW, I don't worry about reading music or memorizing... I just pretend that I can really play a pinao and am happy living in my dream world! smile

Rick

#2011707 - 01/09/13 01:33 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: swimMommy

I do have one question for you experts. I noticed that it is quite easy for my daughter (9) to memorize a piece of music, but very hard for me. Is it me or is it a problem for most adult players?

This sounds like a good question for the Adult Beginners Forum.

#2011765 - 01/09/13 03:37 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
mahermusic Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Congrats on purchasing the best-kept secret in pianos! Welcome to the rarefied Walter club!
Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal

#2011783 - 01/09/13 04:15 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Don't stress about memorization. You don't need to memorize to enjoy playing. It tends to come naturally after awhile and when a piece is well practiced and played in.

Are you going to start lessons with a teacher? Does Dad want to learn, too?

#2011894 - 01/09/13 08:29 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
martijefre Offline

I would think that they are pianos crafted with dedication and care in a venerable family business.

#2011980 - 01/09/13 11:34 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
backto_study_piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
...I noticed that it is quite easy for my daughter (9) to memorize a piece of music, but very hard for me. Is it me or is it a problem for most adult players?

Hi. Memorising isn't a necessity. I know some very virtuoso musicians who can't play anything without a score.

Memory is something which is harder the older you get (yep, that's me). I've been trying the last few years to memorise a few pieces which I can play as "party pieces" - not difficult ones, though. For me, it has only come if I know the pieces so well, that I can - well, play them without looking at the score. And I've managed about one piece a year!!! As I said, not difficult pieces - FurElise, Padrewski Minuet.

One trick I used with students (decades ago since I've taught seriously), is to cover small parts of the music over. It's easier now, you can stick a post-it note over a portion, and try to play through what is covered. You may need to sneak a look at times, but eventually, it forces the mind to take over.

I'd agree, head for the Adult Beginners Forum - they're always helpful.

above all - enjoy it.

Alan

#2012023 - 01/10/13 01:38 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Congrats on the new piano!!!

#2012025 - 01/10/13 01:40 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA

I think there might be some correlation to age - but by no means are older adults unable to memorize. Also, memorization gets easier with practice.

#2012134 - 01/10/13 08:16 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: Steve Chandler]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler

This sounds like a good question for the Adult Beginners Forum.

Kids are used to memorizing things, and their brains are in a developmental stage geared toward absorbing a lot of information. Having said that, adults and understand far more complex concepts, and so the techniques for memorizing can be utilized. If you don't know these techniques, then of course using the method that children use to memorize (repetition only) will not be as effective.

If you are going to start up lessons again, you can ask your teacher on assistance in how to do this.

#2012551 - 01/11/13 12:17 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Congratulation on the purchase of a very fine instrument.
Enjoy!!!

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#2013693 - 01/12/13 10:15 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
swimMommy Offline

As promised, here is a picture of our new piano:

Please ignore the mess on the carpet.

I will be paying frequent visits to the Adult Beginners forum. My husband encourages me to take piano lessons, I am not so sure . So far I enjoy learning it at my own pace. That might change in the future. We'll see.

Time to watch the Packers playing the 49'ers. Good night everyone!

#2013697 - 01/12/13 10:29 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Minnesota Marty Offline

That is one, gorgeous piano!

Go Packers.

#2013861 - 01/13/13 10:39 AM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks for letting us know about this happy outcome (and for negotiating our--- well, idiosyncratic--- photo-posting utility). I don't see any mess, BTW, but it certainly is a handsome piano.

"...My husband encourages me to take piano lessons, I am not so sure . So far I enjoy learning it at my own pace. That might change..."

If a time comes when you become tired of putting up with your limitations as a keyboardist, then some lessons could look desirable, and your husband's offer is more handsome than you may realize just at the moment. Some spouses, believe it or not, are jealous and even hateful about their partner's time spent at the piano. It's still best to respect your own pace and your own pleasure, and your own effective methods, as a mature adult, of absorbing and processing new information.

Best of both good pleasure and good fortune with it!

#2013912 - 01/13/13 12:31 PM Re: Is 5K a good price for a 2006 Charles R Walter Queen Anne? [Re: swimMommy]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Congratulations!

Hope beautiful music will soon fill your home!

Norbert smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Claude Frank, concert pianist, dies at 89
by Jonathan Baker
Today at 09:43 PM
A 61 situation
by Dan O
Today at 07:08 PM
Recommend a Mozart biography, please
by Stubbie
Today at 04:44 PM
Newbie with a question...
by Classified00
Today at 03:43 PM
Alice Herz-Sommer---
by leel
Today at 02:42 PM
Forum Stats
77481 Members
42 Forums
160208 Topics
2352642 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission