Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
107 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, Almaviva, Anita Potter, ando, 32 invisible), 1347 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2002326 - 12/20/12 06:39 PM Fund raiser to restore a Steinway
wayne walker Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Windsor,Nova Scotia Canada

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#2002349 - 12/20/12 07:44 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I was fortunate enough to save a local group from dumping that sort of money into a B that had been in a high school here in Oakland. They ended up paying about a third of the original estimate.

#2002354 - 12/20/12 07:58 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: BDB]
beethoven986 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
I was fortunate enough to save a local group from dumping that sort of money into a B that had been in a high school here in Oakland. They ended up paying about a third of the original estimate.

Regardless of our different philosophies of piano restoration, I can say with authority that everything costs more in Canada. Some things cost a lot more. Cars, for example, as well as alcohol, gasoline, airfare, etc. Pianos, and piano restoration, are by no means an exception.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#2002397 - 12/20/12 09:58 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
Dave B Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
I'm not sure of the exchange rates these days, but it seems like a reasonable amount to put into the instrument.

#2002400 - 12/20/12 10:23 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
rysowers Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
It wouldn't surprise me if André Bolduc will be doing the restoration, in which case they can expect world class results.
www.pianova.net

#2002405 - 12/20/12 10:48 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
I've seen and heard a few rebuilds that cost a third of what I charge.
They were worth that, well maybe.

A restored vintage "D" is every bit as great as the alternative and $90,000 less.

Christian will do a great jobthumb

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#2002504 - 12/21/12 07:52 AM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Is the piano a Hamburg-D? I noticed that the S&S logo lyre, on the fallboard, is located under the Steinway name. I have never seen that type of logo on a NYC-D from that time period.

I think that this project is excellent and I wish them well in their fundraising efforts.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2002702 - 12/21/12 02:16 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: Minnesota Marty]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
Is the piano a Hamburg-D? I noticed that the S&S logo lyre, on the fallboard, is located under the Steinway name. I have never seen that type of logo on a NYC-D from that time period.

The case styling does not suggest NY manufacture.

#2002790 - 12/21/12 05:41 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
BDB Online   content

I have seen a number of fund-raisers for things like this that start out with good intentions and end with nothing happening. If these people only did the work that needed to be done, they save thousands of dollars and get this piano up and making money much sooner. As it is, I suspect that this will just languish before people just give up.

The piano looks and sounds a lot better than many other pianos that are used regularly for concerts as it is.

#2002848 - 12/21/12 08:40 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Rod Verhnjak
A restored vintage "D" is every bit as great as the alternative and $90,000 less.
I guess you're talking about the cost for restoring a D already owned by the person wanting the restoration and in this particular case it seems like the figure would be around 80K less than a new D(costing around 132K)? I wouldn't expect a completely restored D bought from a restorer to cost 90K less than a new one at about 132K. That would mean the D would sell for 42K.

Edited by pianoloverus (12/21/12 08:43 PM)

#2002858 - 12/21/12 09:27 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: pianoloverus]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I guess you're talking about the cost for restoring a D already owned by the person wanting the restoration and in this particular case it seems like the figure would be around 80K less than a new D(costing around 132K)? I wouldn't expect a completely restored D bought from a restorer to cost 90K less than a new one at about 132K. That would mean the D would sell for 42K.

Yes I was comparing the cost of the rebuild against the purchase of a new instrument. Not factoring the value of the unrebuilt
instrument.
In our region a new "D" sells for more than 132K so I was also thinking with a different number in my mind.
I have a 1920's "D" here that needs to be rebuilt. New Board, block and bridges. Refinished, new keys and all new action parts.
That will be $74,000 all done. So it will be around $71,000 less than a new one in my region.

And the $50,000 they need may include the taxes on the restoration.

Edited by Rod Verhnjak (12/21/12 11:35 PM)
Edit Reason: Price correction

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#2002862 - 12/21/12 09:44 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Ahem - The approximate cost for a new Hamburg-D is $154,600 USD according to "Piano Buyer." That considerably changes the concept of comparing it to a new NY-D ~$132K for restoration.

Having the quote from André Bolduc doesn't seem out of line at all for a rebuilding at that high level. To have, for all practical purposes, a "new" S&S-D for $50K is quite marvelous.

Rod - Who is Christian?

#2002871 - 12/21/12 10:05 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: Minnesota Marty]
3000 Post Club Member

Ahem - The approximate cost for a new Hamburg-D is $154,600 USD according to "Piano Buyer."

This may be an underestimate. When I was last in the UK (May, 2011), the Hamburg D was selling for 114,000GBP ~ 184,000USD.

#2002873 - 12/21/12 10:06 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
3000 Post Club Member

I have a 1920's "D" here that needs to be rebuilt. New Board, block and bridges. Refinished, new keys and all new action parts.
That will be $69,000 all done.

Including a new key set? That sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

#2002882 - 12/21/12 11:22 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Rod - Who is Christian?

Christian is Andre Bolduc's son.

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#2002883 - 12/21/12 11:26 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: beethoven986]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beethoven986

Yes with a new key set. It's the only way to make the action perfect.

Edit: I was mistaken re the price. I wrote before I confirmed the price of the Steinway before the rebuild.
It will be $74,000 all done.

Edited by Rod Verhnjak (12/21/12 11:37 PM)

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#2002887 - 12/21/12 11:36 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: Rod Verhnjak]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beethoven986

Yes with a new key set. It's the only way to make the action perfect.

No arguments there! It's a nice touch in a rebuilding world that isn't always as detail oriented as it should be.

#2002933 - 12/22/12 02:45 AM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
BDB Online   content

There are a lot of things which are nice touches until you have to pay for them.

There is a 1928 Steinway D that I service, giving it what it needs when it needs it and when the owners can afford it. For the number of times that it is used, it does not justify putting $50,000 into it. It is adequate for any artist who comes along. If they want more, they could pay for it, but that will not happen. It is still as good or better than most of the pianos they will run across, and it makes the space available for use for events that require a decent piano.

There was a time when a pair of pianists wanted their own tuner for the two pianos there (the other is a Bechstein E, in approximately the same condition), and I got a call from the presenter asking whether I minded. I said no. Then I got another call asking whether it would be proper to request that the pianists pay the difference. I said that sounded reasonable. I ended up tuning the pianos.

The Steinway is getting to the point where the hammers could stand replacing again, but I have told them that more urgent needs are better lighting (pending, since that is cheap) and extensive work on their other Bechstein.

#2003015 - 12/22/12 09:39 AM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: BDB]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
It seems to me that as the piano technician for what must be a serious concert venue, given that it has a Steinway D AND a Bechstein, your job should be to advocate for what the piano needs to keep it up to concert-level. You shouldn't be advocating for work on the lighting system, the lighting director should do that. The job of management is to balance these competing needs and make the choice between lighting and pianos, based on the information presented by the representative experts advocating for those systems.

Edited by Zeno Wood (12/22/12 09:47 AM)

#2003065 - 12/22/12 11:56 AM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
BDB Online   content

This is not a serious concert venue. It is a historical venue that has concerts, and there are no professionals in theater management or operation there. I am the only liaison they have with that part of their operation. The lighting will make it more attractive for even more concerts and other events. The lighting costs almost nothing, I am the one who knows about it, and there was the commitment of the money from the group that puts on the concerts. $500 for lights will be a bigger improvement than $3000 for new hammers for the piano, and it will make it more likely that the hammers will happen, because more people will want to use the venue.

The serious concert venue where I am working is getting a new D and a CFX, as per my recommendation. The benefits of that decision turned out to be much better than even I had thought, as they were able to swing some pretty substantial deals.

There is nothing wrong with using your own experience to help your customers when they need it. If you have information that they can use, sharing it will make you look better to them. Even if you advise them not to spend so much money on your services, that may pay off better in the long run.

#2003079 - 12/22/12 12:31 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: BDB]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
True.

#2003409 - 12/23/12 08:22 AM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Does anyone know how successful the "pianothon" was yesterday? I hope they did well with their efforts.

#2003537 - 12/23/12 02:45 PM Re: Fund raiser to restore a Steinway [Re: wayne walker]
wayne walker Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Windsor,Nova Scotia Canada
I have looked for an update, but haven't found anything yet, I'll keep looking and will post the results of the fund raiser when I find out.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Tuned a 1960's Kranich and Bach Studio upright
by Paul678
12/22/14 09:18 PM
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
12/22/14 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
12/22/14 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
12/22/14 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
12/22/14 04:34 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160070 Topics
2350690 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission