Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1987064 - 11/15/12 12:25 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: jmarch]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: jmarch
...you get your first real piano (after playing on cheap synths with nonweighted keys), you can't stop thinking about playing it, you read this thread for comfort because you're stuck at work, and then you post a reply because you ran out of thread to read...

Piano... must... piano... *tries not to hyperventilate* m-must... Piiiiiaaaaanooooo!

I get this too... Withdrawal symptoms and a desperate feeling about when I can next get to a piano again. Feelings of longing while at work and general distraction from things you should be concentrating on because you actually feel a bit ill with wanting to go play so much.
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1987234 - 11/15/12 08:04 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
... when you have a photo of your piano in your wallet (and you look at it with love all the time).

Music is my best friend.

#1987548 - 11/16/12 05:02 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
PaperClip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
When on monday colleagues at work asking if you have had a good weekend. And the only true answer is yes, I played piano! But if you say that, people stare at you if some mathematics is rolling out your mouth. So instead you lie and say something like no, I slipped on a frog walking in the park and fell on my back. It hurt so much, so I stayed home.

Playing since May 02 2009

#1987551 - 11/16/12 05:08 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
When you pay to have your piano's portrait painted by a professional. (Not my piano, but I know the artist who did the portrait.)

#1987604 - 11/16/12 08:06 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
When your facebook profile pic is of your piano. I put this up when the piano was new to me, but it's been quite a while now--probably time to change it.

But, really, I have no problem...

#1987683 - 11/17/12 01:23 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: jdw]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jdw
When your facebook profile pic is of your piano. I put this up when the piano was new to me, but it's been quite a while now--probably time to change it.

But, really, I have no problem...

My eBay profile is a piano. smile

Music is my best friend.

#1987684 - 11/17/12 01:24 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

... when in an emergency you think of your piano before you think of yourself, and are ready to happily die with it if necessary.

Music is my best friend.

#1987776 - 11/17/12 11:25 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Rather than having a picture of your hubby, your sister's new baby or your other sister's lovely kids, the pic on your cell phone is of your piano!

...and the ring tone is one of your own recorded pieces smile

#1987786 - 11/17/12 11:48 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I'd be more worried if the ring tone was the baby crying.

#1990552 - 11/25/12 01:36 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Allard]
drazh Offline

when your wife says : all piano should be destroid

#1990559 - 11/25/12 01:59 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

... when you play with your feet when you are eating because you are hungry but don't want to interrupt the bliss.

Music is my best friend.

#1990842 - 11/25/12 10:21 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
aTallGuyNH Offline

When you are on a several hour job interview, they give you a break for lunch, and on your way to grab a quick bite you hear an employee jamming on the chapel piano (this was at a hospital) and you're tempted, really tempted...

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2000455 - 12/16/12 09:16 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
America is talking about middle class tax. When asked about what class you belong to, I answered Intermediate.

In our new church (episcopal now after born & raised catholic) I stated my observation that they use the organ during the readings and use the piano for intermission. Turning red, I immediatly realized that I should have said "communion" .
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2000528 - 12/17/12 01:19 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
Hedgeclipper Offline

you know you're a piano addict when you have a calculus final tomorrow morning and you play piano instead of studying and convince yourself that "at least the music theory will help me learn my fractions!" wink

#2000588 - 12/17/12 06:49 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Hedgeclipper]
Barmybird Offline

When you throw a sickie at work, just to practice (slippery slope lol)

and

Cant wait for your Toddler to go to bed, just so you can play! (terrible mother here ha!)

#2000599 - 12/17/12 07:42 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Hedgeclipper]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
A smart way to study! It's not so much the fractions per se, but it will maximize all your neural connections smile . That's how I persuade myself that a break from work to play piano is really efficient.

#2000806 - 12/17/12 06:13 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

...When you sing a lullaby to your piano before going to bed.

Music is my best friend.

#2001295 - 12/18/12 05:40 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
ChordPicker Offline

When you think about your piano more than your husband lol

#2002363 - 12/20/12 08:22 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: ChopinAddict]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
...When you sing a lullaby to your piano before going to bed.

LOL! Hope you put its lid down so it has a good sleep!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2002364 - 12/20/12 08:23 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: ChordPicker]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: ChordPicker
When you think about your piano more than your husband lol

ha

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2002490 - 12/21/12 06:31 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
Toastie Offline

When you agonise all week because you're going crazy without your piano, but you don't want to inflict you germs on the poor thing as its beautiful and it feels wrong to cough or sneeze near it when you're ill. Am staring at it longingly now and wondering about the possibility of playing with a scarf over my face, but I think the noise might hurt my head.
Yamaha U3

#2002509 - 12/21/12 08:02 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I find this thread a little disturbing. There is more to life than a piano. If I am at home with nothing much else to do, I will sit and play, but I do not go to work and sit and think about the next time I can play the instrument. It is a different matter when you have an exam coming up, but if not, then to sit and think about it too much is unhealthy.

#2002514 - 12/21/12 08:24 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: adultpianist]
Toastie Offline

Originally Posted By: adultpianist
I find this thread a little disturbing. There is more to life than a piano. If I am at home with nothing much else to do, I will sit and play, but I do not go to work and sit and think about the next time I can play the instrument. It is a different matter when you have an exam coming up, but if not, then to sit and think about it too much is unhealthy.

People are different. I dont agree that it's unhealthy - well unless your piano addition is making you unhappy or having a negative impact upon you, then that would be unhealthy yes. Ultimately having piano in my life makes me really happy and I suspect it's the case for everyone else here too. I am naturally an obsessive person and if it wasn't piano it would be something else - I actually think piano is a fantastic healthy thing to be addicted to!!

Edited by Toastie (12/21/12 08:26 AM)
Yamaha U3

#2002518 - 12/21/12 08:29 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Toastie]
Toastie Offline

Also I think a forum especially dedicated to piano is bound to attract people who are little more into piano than others! Especially as adults... Only the most interested are likely to bother signing up to this site.

I know I love piano far more than is normal, but I'm really pleased with that smile
Yamaha U3

#2002582 - 12/21/12 10:33 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Toastie]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

It is good to be enthusiastic but to think about it day and night is an obsession. I come from a family where we have addictive behaviour and it destroyed a lot of good things. To be over obsessive is not good. In fact it is a bit creepy.

#2002594 - 12/21/12 10:51 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: adultpianist]
Toastie Offline

Creepy! Well thanks!

Toastie, unhealthy piano addict and proud of it xxx smile

No one said you had to be like us you know, but if we're happy then I don't see where's the harm.
Yamaha U3

#2002598 - 12/21/12 10:57 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
Toastie Offline

I've just had another thought on this, adult pianist, if we are the creepy obsessive addicts you are claiming, it's very unlikely your advice here will get through to us you know. I mean that in a genuine way; I love piano! I don't want to be helped to think about it less!!

Really, though, the topic is quite humorous really.
Yamaha U3

#2002603 - 12/21/12 11:04 AM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: Toastie]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I enjoy piano as much as any of you, but I take it in moderation. I find if I do something too much then I no longer look forward to it. I was playing every single day without fail but now I play every other day and find that much more rewarding and relaxing.

#2002647 - 12/21/12 12:37 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: MaryAnn]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
It depends. I would like to play more when I worked long hours, say 12 to 14 hours. It's probably an unconscious balancing act. It's the only time I can forget about work and did something nurturing for myself.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2002775 - 12/21/12 05:12 PM Re: you know you're a piano addict when... [Re: adultpianist]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Agreed.

Strangely sometimes I won't touch the piano for 2-3 days and I actually take in more of what I learnt on the days I played rather than slogging and learning nothing.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
166 registered (36251, accordeur, A Guy, 44 invisible), 1768 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74215 Members
42 Forums
153523 Topics
2249795 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Piano Composition + a Drawing
by leandrobrunapiano
04/17/14 10:50 AM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
04/17/14 09:37 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
04/17/14 09:10 AM
Buzz-project: How do composer earn big money?
by talfi composer
04/17/14 09:07 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission