2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
T
When you agonise all week because you're going crazy without your piano, but you don't want to inflict you germs on the poor thing as its beautiful and it feels wrong to cough or sneeze near it when you're ill. Am staring at it longingly now and wondering about the possibility of playing with a scarf over my face, but I think the noise might hurt my head.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I find this thread a little disturbing. There is more to life than a piano. If I am at home with nothing much else to do, I will sit and play, but I do not go to work and sit and think about the next time I can play the instrument. It is a different matter when you have an exam coming up, but if not, then to sit and think about it too much is unhealthy.

T
T
Originally Posted by adultpianist
I find this thread a little disturbing. There is more to life than a piano. If I am at home with nothing much else to do, I will sit and play, but I do not go to work and sit and think about the next time I can play the instrument. It is a different matter when you have an exam coming up, but if not, then to sit and think about it too much is unhealthy.

People are different. I dont agree that it's unhealthy - well unless your piano addition is making you unhappy or having a negative impact upon you, then that would be unhealthy yes. Ultimately having piano in my life makes me really happy and I suspect it's the case for everyone else here too. I am naturally an obsessive person and if it wasn't piano it would be something else - I actually think piano is a fantastic healthy thing to be addicted to!!

Last edited by Toastie; 12/21/12 09:26 AM.

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
T
T
Also I think a forum especially dedicated to piano is bound to attract people who are little more into piano than others! Especially as adults... Only the most interested are likely to bother signing up to this site.

I know I love piano far more than is normal, but I'm really pleased with that smile

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
It is good to be enthusiastic but to think about it day and night is an obsession. I come from a family where we have addictive behaviour and it destroyed a lot of good things. To be over obsessive is not good. In fact it is a bit creepy.

T
T
Creepy! Well thanks!

Toastie, unhealthy piano addict and proud of it xxx smile

No one said you had to be like us you know, but if we're happy then I don't see where's the harm.

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
T
T
I've just had another thought on this, adult pianist, if we are the creepy obsessive addicts you are claiming, it's very unlikely your advice here will get through to us you know. I mean that in a genuine way; I love piano! I don't want to be helped to think about it less!!

Really, though, the topic is quite humorous really.

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I enjoy piano as much as any of you, but I take it in moderation. I find if I do something too much then I no longer look forward to it. I was playing every single day without fail but now I play every other day and find that much more rewarding and relaxing.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
It depends. I would like to play more when I worked long hours, say 12 to 14 hours. It's probably an unconscious balancing act. It's the only time I can forget about work and did something nurturing for myself.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Agreed.

Strangely sometimes I won't touch the piano for 2-3 days and I actually take in more of what I learnt on the days I played rather than slogging and learning nothing.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Sometimes the "obsession" is what is known as dedication. Sometimes it's called discipline. It's the courage, passion and sustained unrelenting application that one needs to succeed at something very difficult. I would hate to think that these qualities have become so foreign to our voyeuristic, entitled and consumer driven culture that they seem somehow pathological and "creepy." (Unless you're Lang Lang and can make mega bucks at it.)

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by justpin
Agreed.

Strangely sometimes I won't touch the piano for 2-3 days and I actually take in more of what I learnt on the days I played rather than slogging and learning nothing.

This is very true and just what my teacher told me. The more you slog the more you tire and the more you fail to play right

T
T
Originally Posted by -Frycek

Sometimes the "obsession" is what is known as dedication. Sometimes it's called discipline. It's the courage, passion and sustained unrelenting application that one needs to succeed at something very difficult. I would hate to think that these qualities have become so foreign to our voyeuristic, entitled and consumer driven culture that they seem somehow pathological and "creepy." (Unless you're Lang Lang and can make mega bucks at it.)

thumb

That's what I have been hoping my obsession is.

Was always fairly proud of it. Certainly never considered it in any way a bad thing.

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Toastie
I am naturally an obsessive person and if it wasn't piano it would be something else - I actually think piano is a fantastic healthy thing to be addicted to!!

Which reminds me what my Russian friend said about my piano playing, "It's better than vodka," meaning it keeps me out of bars!

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Played a bit of piano last night after a couple of days break and played the piece I have been working on much better. It is true to say that if you have a break from a difficult piece and go back to it, you find you play it better and enjoy it more.

Happy playing everybody heart

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When you agonise all week because you're going crazy without your piano, but you don't want to inflict you germs on the poor thing as its beautiful and it feels wrong to cough or sneeze near it when you're ill. Am staring at it longingly now and wondering about the possibility of playing with a scarf over my face, but I think the noise might hurt my head.

Hope you feel better soon Toastie. Whewn can we see your new piano's photo?

T
T
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

Hope you feel better soon Toastie. Whewn can we see your new piano's photo?

I don't know because I genuinely can't put one on. I'm not technologically minded. It's just too much to get it from the iPad, to the computer, to the Internet, to here. You might just have to imagine what it looks like. blush

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not technical either but you could try photobucket if you want to show us your lovely new piano. Photobucket is easy.Must be if I can do it LOL.
Merry Xmas to you and new piano!

You get up an hour early on christmas day to get an hour in on the piano because its the present every day..... yaaaaay!

MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIENDS!!!!! X X

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
"I find this thread a little disturbing ....."

Your point is well taken - there is more to life than thinking about the piano - when I turned 58, two guys I was having lunch with - 30 year olds - said they played half-court basketball every summer. My only question was - would they teach me how to play basketball because I never had a chance as a kid and I always wanted to play basketball. They agreed - for a few designer coffees - and I said it was a deal. People at work who hadn't played basketball in years or tens of years joined in. After learning some of the skills - I wasn't that great, of course, because it takes a lifetme to be that good. I couldn't get to sleep at night after basketball because I was so excited just playing the game, not to mention that when I made a rare basket, there were roars from everyone in the gym because of the accomplishment - and the odds. Understand that when I returned to work every morning I would tell the guys at work how it went and it was all I could do to hold back the tears from the joy and excitement. I was ultimately playing 5 nights a week at different gyms, pickup baskball. Weighed 240 pounds and sweated my way to 165 pounds. So, yes, basketball, was on my mind all the time.

Now, about the piano. I was told at a hospital emergency that I had leukemia cancer in 2006 and I was told I was not allowed to play basketball because if I ever had a accident, my blood and immune system would not support an operation/surgery. I didn't drop a tear about getting fatal cancer in the 4th stage, but I dropped a tear when they told me I could no longer play basktball. In 2012 after being treated for cancer for 6 years -and still alive - but weak, I sat at my dusty electronic piano where I never ever played much if anything on the piano - I had a piano book 1 how to play the piano but never opened it. So one day I thought that if I sat on the piano bench and tried to play a tune from the book, I might distract myself, to build up my strength sufficiently that I could sit up for a little while. I could walk a bit, stand a bit, but I could not sit up for very long. Well, sitting at the piano didn't help much with sitting up but in the process I fell in love with playing the piano. So like basketball, all I can think about is playing the piano. Staring at the dusty eletronic piano for over 10 years and considering my situation as a whole, I never ever thought there would be even a remote chance of ever playing the piano. I live in a shack, holes in the wall, 450 sq ft, tiny, never painted since I bought the place 35 years ago. Bought an acoustic piano and can play the piano 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year - nobody can bother me. I am only working through John Thompson book 2. I can play about 60 little tunes from playing for a year. Most of the tunes are only 8 measures long, just as you would excpect from a book 1 piano book. In the way that I would take a moment to try to shoot a basketball at the hoop, is the same concentraton that I use trying to play my 60 tunes musically, rhymically, and accurately over a couple of hours. As a grand, I open and close the top and cover the piano everyday when I go to bed. The piano also came with a valvet piano cover so I cover it as well with that every night . I always wash my hands before I touch/play the piano. I love to play the piano. I am humbled to have the opportunity to have a piano to play. After I play for a while, I go for a walk down by the river to get some fresh air and enjoy the beauty of life. And then back to the piano because I am missing the sounds of the piano. Now you understand why life can be distrubing....

Last edited by Michael_99; 12/25/12 08:27 AM.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission