2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2001335 12/18/12 07:49 PM
M
mizzrai Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I've always wanted to play the piano. I'm 30, so I thought I'll make my dream come true.
So, I'm unsure where to begin.

Firstly I need to get something to practice on, so what do you guys recommend for a beginner, as I don't want to randomly purchase something expensive.
Something which produces good sound?
Which keyboard and why? Where also if online?

Would appreciate advice.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
With the huge amount of new and used gear out there, you'd be better off planning your budget first. Then the board can give you ideas of what to start looking at. Also remember that things like the touch sensitivity and weight of the keys is something very personal to each player.

If there's a music store or used gear place near you, putting your fingers on some keys and getting a sense of the wide range of prices is a good start.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
We'd need to know your budget to recommend. I suggest posting this question on the "Digital Pianos" Subforum on this website along with the amount of money you're willing to put aside for such a purchase (for a first digital piano, I'd recommend planning to invest at least a few hundred dollars so that your purchase has properly weighted keys and a realistic touch/sound to learn on) so that you may be given options. I'd of course not be doing my job here if I also didn't recommend looking at acoustic pianos if they're an option - they're touch and sound production simply can't be compared with any digital piano barring they're properly taken care of.

M
M
Hi mizzrai,

Welcome to the forum. I was in the same boat as you. Here's what I did:

- Bought a cheap (150 EUR) 88-key MIDI controller (M-Audio Keystation), hooked it up to the computer and used virtual piano software (Pianoteq) and Synthesia to emulate a piano. While these controllers don't have good touch at all, it allowed me to judge whether or not playing the piano was something for me or just one more hobby that I would drop after a couple of weeks. For 150 EUR this was well worth it.

- Once I was sure that I'm capable and willing of learning the piano (after a few months) I bought a used acoustic piano for around 3500 EUR, a European model since I like the sound of them.
I contemplated buying a digital since they are lighter, are always in tune and allow playing with headphones. However, after playing around even with the most expensive models in the shop, I quickly realized that digital pianos are very different from acoustic pianos in terms of sound. But which sound you prefer (or whether the advantage of natural sound outweighs the advantages of digital pianos mentioned above) is mainly a matter of taste.

So if you want to keep the investment to a minimum, have a look at MIDI controllers. They don't make any sound on their own and always need a computer. That's why they are much cheaper than real keyboards.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1, Yamaha P-155
M
mizzrai Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Okay, great, thanks guys.

Well, I've been researching and am thinking of the Casio CDP 120 Scaled Hammer Action Digital Piano, just under £300.00 GBP.
I've read a few good reviews on this and the fact that it sounds much alike a proper piano.
What do you reckon to this one. to create the real piano effect.
Its simple and that's what Im really after, not too fancy with loads of buttons, but still giving out the proper piano effect.
Budget wise, under £300.00 GBP is what I'm after.
It's got the 88 keys, , with weighted keys
Later on, once I've got the hang of things and doing well with playing upgrade to something alittle bit more expensive, but not just yet.

At the moment, I thought I'd just start on some theory, so have been studying that, so I can put into practice.
Any other ways that you'd recommend, so I can progress quicker? Am a fast learner and have the time to put in. I know it's not easy to master the piano, but with practice, nothing is hard.

So, any other tips to get me started or even books you may now of, fire the names in my direction.

Once again, appreciate the input.

B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Theory is never a bad thing, but it should come hand-in-hand with practical advice so you can understand its application (it may not seem like it, but there's always an application). If you'd like, check out this comprehensive thread on basic-to-intermediate music theory topics: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1948785.html

That being said, to any and all beginners wanting to learn more, the best route for learning the basics and securing a proper foundation for the first few years is under the wing of a competent teacher. Beginners ironically think that self-studying for the first few years and then taking lessons is the route to go, but the fact of the matter is that establishing a proper foundation is in fact incredibly difficult to self-teach yet is also the most important part of your journey. I'd look for an experienced teacher and seek out lessons - then you can really see yourself progress quicker.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Mizzrai,
I'd say the Casio CDP 120 is a good choice for a starter piano. It has weighted keys, and a good tone. I'd also suggest checking out the the Casio Privia PX 150 (which was just released). It's a MUCH better digital piano than the CDP 120 for not a whole lot extra. It also has options like the matching furniture style stand and triple pedal which you could get as upgrades later (sometimes they are bundled together but given your budget constraints you'd probably just want to get the piano to start with). Were I in your position, that's probably the choice I'd make.

There are some other digital pianos worth looking at in that price range too, such as the Yamaha P95. Yamahas are good brands.

Good Luck with your quest! smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission