2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
[...] Do you know Harry Christophers and The Sixteen? [...]

The only recording I have of Christophers is a BBC Music recording of Messiah. And when it comes to listening to that work, I always turn to my recording with Trevor Pinnock (Auger, von Otter, Chance, Crook, Tomlinson) and the English Concert.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Am I the only person who is sick of Christmas music? Seems like half the year here is about Christmas.
That's especially true when Christmas is not one's holiday! thumb

Good point !!!!! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by BruceD
...I always turn to my recording with Trevor Pinnock (Auger, von Otter, Chance, Crook, Tomlinson) and the English Concert.

But compared to Thomas Beecham's all out Verdian assault, Pinnock sounds almost prim and proper. wink

Jason
B
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
[...] Do you know Harry Christophers and The Sixteen? [...]

The only recording I have of Christophers is a BBC Music recording of Messiah. And when it comes to listening to that work, I always turn to my recording with Trevor Pinnock (Auger, von Otter, Chance, Crook, Tomlinson) and the English Concert.

Regards,

Last Christmas, I went to a concert in the Royal Festival Hall in London while The Sixteen were giving a Christmas concert next door in the Queen Elizabeth Hall. I heard that after their concert, they would be singing carols in the foyer, so I popped into the QEH after my concert to hear them - people gathered around as they sang for half an hour several well-known carols. The audience also joined in, with Christophers's encouragement, and we all had a great time.

If music be the food of love, play on!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Try listening to NPR - they've been interspersing choice pieces of underplayed Christmas music with their regular classical fare. Nice mix.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Watched some of Michael Buble last nite. Nice voice, but I couldn't stand watching him. So many phony 'stage presence' smiles and cocking his head. The Washington Christmas was a little better.

Anything else to recommend for watching?

BTW, I guess I don't get too tired of Xmas music since I don't hit the malls, and usually only listen to NPR so I don't get the old ho hum stuff (thank goodness!) I like that the station mentioned above plays the more unusual and hardly repeats.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
B
B
Haven't been able to get past that pop sounding Christmas. Although, I'd really love to get into some of the more heavier stuff you'd find from a more classical period.

Perhaps I could get some suggestions for this "heavier stuff" here. Whenever I think of great Christmas music, I think of Handel's "Messiah." This isn't written for piano, but that's the style I'd like to go for. Any suggestions?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Bashimatsu

Perhaps I could get some suggestions for this "heavier stuff" here. Whenever I think of great Christmas music, I think of Handel's "Messiah." This isn't written for piano, but that's the style I'd like to go for. Any suggestions?

If you look at the last piece in this collection by Alkan, you'll find that it is a transcription of the Pastorale (Pifa) from Handel's Messiah. The listings at IMSLP give no indication that it exists, but it does.

V
V
I've been listening some carols (and the christmas oratorio) in youtube. I've also been playing the arrangements I made for school (I actually think they're quite good). I've tried to avoid the pop stuff.

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

B
B
Originally Posted by Bashimatsu
Haven't been able to get past that pop sounding Christmas. Although, I'd really love to get into some of the more heavier stuff you'd find from a more classical period.

Apart from my suggestions above of the Christmas Oratorios by Bach and Saint-Saëns (a very charming piece with prominent use of harp), there's also Corelli's Christmas Concerto and Berlioz's L'enfance du Christ (The Childhood of Christ) which contains the famous 'Shepherd's Farewell', often sung by itself as a carol.

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by lilylady

Speaking of Jeffrey, again, I am enjoying his wonderful Christmas CD - A Steinway Christmas Album which he released last year.

I went ahead and purchased it on Itunes. I'm a little disappointed that he mixed 'O Holy Night' with Chopin's fantasie impromptu. Nice album overall, though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission