Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2003375 - 12/23/12 06:36 AM Das Lied von der Erde
Verbum mirabilis Offline

Truly a masterwork. I haven't had time to get familiar with all of Mahler's symphonies (in addition to this one, I know no. 2 well and I'm pretty familiar with the first two movements of no. 5, and I have listened through no. 9 a few times), but I'm quite sure this is one of his greatest works (one of the greatest pieces ever composed TBH).

Any thoughts on the symphony? What's your favourite recording? What do you think about the alto part being sung by a baritone?
Bach: P&F in D minor, book 2

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2003380 - 12/23/12 06:57 AM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Who’s Mahler? ... only kidding ... my favourite is Symphony 6.
It was interesting that Mahler looked for inspiration to Li Bai, the famous Tang dynasty wandering poet

“Four of the Chinese poems used by Mahler
("Das Trinklied vom Jammer der Erde", "Von der Jugend", "Von der Schönheit" and "Der Trunkene im Frühling") are by Li Bai, the famous Tang dynasty wandering poet.”

Wish the harp of Verbum mirabilis wouldn’t frig around without clothes ... perhaps we should call the piano “a harp in a box”?

Must pop down to my music shop and see if I can find a copy of Das Lied von der Erde ... see if I can pick up a tang of the East.

#2003400 - 12/23/12 08:01 AM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Verbum mirabilis
Truly a masterwork. I haven't had time to get familiar with all of Mahler's symphonies (in addition to this one, I know no. 2 well and I'm pretty familiar with the first two movements of no. 5, and I have listened through no. 9 a few times), but I'm quite sure this is one of his greatest works (one of the greatest pieces ever composed TBH).

Any thoughts on the symphony? What's your favourite recording? What do you think about the alto part being sung by a baritone?

My thoughts are that this is (usually)(mostly) a piano forum. And that the occasional off-topic thread should be labeled as such, with the subject line beginning with "OT". What do you think about that?

#2003422 - 12/23/12 09:05 AM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: wr]
Verbum mirabilis Offline

Originally Posted By: wr

My thoughts are that this is (usually)(mostly) a piano forum. And that the occasional off-topic thread should be labeled as such, with the subject line beginning with "OT". What do you think about that?

You may be right, but I see many OT threads without "OT". This is still music-related, unlike for example the "yesterday's tragedy" thread, which is therefore labeled with the "OT".

Also many theads tend to go offtopic, and they don't get labeled "OT" because of that smile
Bach: P&F in D minor, book 2

#2003433 - 12/23/12 09:35 AM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Mahler was a pretty good pianist and composed a bit for the piano.

Beyond that, anyone who doesn't already know that "das Lied" is not a piano composition should know it.

Eat your peas...

Edited by ClsscLib (12/23/12 09:37 AM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2003534 - 12/23/12 02:40 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa

I know 1 - 6 fairly well and much prefer 2 and 5 (the happiest of Mahler's symphonies). The last two movements of 5 are truly extraordinary for completely different reasons. The Adagietto is perhaps the most beautiful love song ever written and the last movement is a contrapuntal tour de force. The final movement of number 3 is pretty good too.

As for recordings, Mahler has a list of usual conductors that seem to do him well, Bernstein, Walter and Ormandy, but the lesser known Ben Zander does an extraordinary job with Mahler as well and usually includes a separate CD explaining much of what's going on.

#2003547 - 12/23/12 03:21 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
pianoslacker Offline

Maybe OT, but the music seems to fit this wintry season somehow, even if the the text is sometimes talking about spring.

My favoured version is the DG Giulini/Fassbaender/Araiza/BPO one. Some people have quibbles about this recording, and some say the live version by the same line-up is better, but personally I like this one so much that I wouldn't change a thing.

As for two guys singing this - I don't even like to think about that, but I guess you should try everything at least once. smile

#2003564 - 12/23/12 04:19 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Steve Chandler]
ClsscLib Offline

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler

I know 1 - 6 fairly well and much prefer 2 and 5 (the happiest of Mahler's symphonies). The last two movements of 5 are truly extraordinary for completely different reasons. The Adagietto is perhaps the most beautiful love song ever written and the last movement is a contrapuntal tour de force. The final movement of number 3 is pretty good too.

As for recordings, Mahler has a list of usual conductors that seem to do him well, Bernstein, Walter and Ormandy, but the lesser known Ben Zander does an extraordinary job with Mahler as well and usually includes a separate CD explaining much of what's going on.

Steve, if someone insisted that I name Mahler's happiest symphony, I'd probably nominate the 4th. I love the 2nd and 5th too, though.

I agree completely about the Benjamin Zander/Philharmonia series of recordings, and the one he does for the 5th may be the best of a good bunch. I think Zander is more effective than Bernstein was at explaining the structure and elements of music to a general audience.

#2003569 - 12/23/12 04:30 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
My only experience with Mahler - as a pianist - was accompanying a vocalist (alto) many years ago in a performance of the Kindertotenlieder (Songs on the Death of Children). Obviously I was using a piano reduction of an orchestral score. Trying to make the piano sound like an orchestra was challenging to say the least - but what an amazing and powerful work. And somehow it seems a bit strange to be remembering it this week in particular.........

#2003614 - 12/23/12 06:31 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
I have the piano/vocal score and play it frequently (not in performance, just for my own pleasure) if we want a link to the piano smile

One of my most beloved works. I first heard and loved the Ferrier/Patzak/Walter recording and it's still my favourite, I think. But I also love the Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer. And as for a baritone singing the contralto part - no, not for me, although Fischer-Dieskau could convince me of anything.

ewig ... ewig ...

#2003636 - 12/23/12 07:31 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: currawong]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: currawong
But I also love the Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer.

That is my benchmark. I don't really feel that it has ever been exceeded. (And IMO, I don't much care for a baritone replacing the mezzo, though some do.)

Das Lied is a work of many faces, it my favourite Mahler.

#2003703 - 12/23/12 10:37 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have Kindertotenlieder in a Dover edition for vocalist and piano. (It also includes other Mahler cycles like Das Lied von der Erde). With just a bit of juggling, all these wonderful songs make great piano solos. I have just about worn out my copy playing them over and over. Kathleen Ferrier is my favorite soloist for Kindertotenlieder, accompanied by Bruno Walter. Walter is my favorite interpreter of the Mahler symphonies as well. Just thought I would recommend them to anyone unfamiliar with these performances. (Ferrier died tragically in 1952 of cancer. She was a unique and marvelous singer.)

#2003715 - 12/23/12 11:24 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Chopinlover49]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
Kathleen Ferrier is my favorite soloist for Kindertotenlieder, accompanied by Bruno Walter. Walter is my favorite interpreter of the Mahler symphonies as well. Just thought I would recommend them to anyone unfamiliar with these performances.

Can't tell if this is the Walter version - BUT here's Ms. Ferrier in two selections from the Kindertotenlieder....

http://youtu.be/5N23uwhNdac
http://youtu.be/PMsXvuz3Voc

#2003721 - 12/23/12 11:57 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
ClsscLib Offline

Walter conducted the premiere of das Lied, and both he and Klemperer were close to Mahler in Mahler's last years.

#2003728 - 12/24/12 01:00 AM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I read the German translation of the poems back when I was in college. I recall interpreting some of the lines differently than the way Mahler must have read them.

#2003908 - 12/24/12 11:25 AM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

From Wikipedia.....

"The poignancy of the cycle is increased by the fact that four years after he wrote it, Mahler lost his daughter, Maria, aged four, to scarlet fever. He wrote to Guido Adler: 'I placed myself in the situation that a child of mine had died. When I really lost my daughter, I could not have written these songs any more.' "

#2003916 - 12/24/12 11:40 AM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I've played the piano/voice score as well, and it's gorgeous. I love Ludwig's Mahler interpretations.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2004038 - 12/24/12 04:19 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
A damn fine work, though I personally prefer the Ninth Symphony.

It has also been very lucky on record. The excellent Ormandy recording on Sony is often overlooked.

I don't mind the baritone option.

Mahler's piano version has been recorded by Katsaris (it's on Warner/Teldec).
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#2004179 - 12/25/12 01:27 AM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I cannot prefer any of Mahler's symphonic works, in the sense that they are all very different from each other. They are all masterworks, with such a richness to them that you can spend a lifetime exploring them. Many people do, and some conductors cannot resist rerecording them at different times in their life. With the right orchestra, conductor, and vocalists (including the chorus), it does not matter which symphony is involved - you should go hear it.

For recordings, I like anything done by Solti, and most of Celibidache. I suggest you watch for Jaap van Zweden - he has the Mahler spirit, the brio and sense of propulsion that makes this music magical. Hear him live with a good symphony - he is extremely exciting.

#2005741 - 12/28/12 07:21 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
my preferred recording: Paul Kletzki with DFD and Murray Dickie

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Ravel miroirs

#2005766 - 12/28/12 08:12 PM Re: Das Lied von der Erde [Re: wr]
Aldous Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: wr

Well, there IS a technicality that allows discussion of "Das Lied" here, since there is a chamber version in existence with PIANO and HARMONIUM assisting strings and winds. Pretty neat, all in all.

Yeah, I adore this piece. Also, the final Tenth, completed by Deryk Cooke. But there's not one damn piano in it, so forget I mentioned it.

#2005800 - 12/28/12 10:16 PM Re: [OT] Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Aldous]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Aldous

Well, there IS a technicality that allows discussion of "Das Lied" here, since there is a chamber version in existence with PIANO and HARMONIUM assisting strings and winds. Pretty neat, all in all.

Yeah, I adore this piece. Also, the final Tenth, completed by Deryk Cooke. But there's not one damn piano in it, so forget I mentioned it.

You know, I don't think that's the version that the OP had in mind. And too, my point wasn't that it shouldn't be discussed, but simply that the polite thing to do here is to put an "OT" at the beginning of the subject line when wanting to discuss something not really related to the piano.

I was in a particularly cranky mood when I posted, I guess - I'm sorry about that.

I might add that while I used to adore Mahler, that adoration has turned into mere respect these days. All that hyper-emotional stuff has gotten old, and seems a bit cartoonish and kitschy to me now. It also feels manipulative in a way I don't much care for, even if it's highly effective - it's like Spielberg movies that way.

#2005817 - 12/28/12 11:38 PM Re: [OT] Das Lied von der Erde [Re: wr]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Interesting.

#2005924 - 12/29/12 08:40 AM Re: [OT] Das Lied von der Erde [Re: Verbum mirabilis]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Funny.... I always think of this work around Xmas time because I first listened to it during the holiday season of 1975, when I was a junior in high school. It made a huge impression.

It was the final Bruno Walter recording, however - not the celebrated one with Ferrier - which introduced me to the work. Nowadays, I enjoy it for Walter's conducting and especially tenor Ernst Haefliger's contribution (mezzo Mildred Miller seems a bit removed from it all, unfortunately).

BTW, Ernst Haefliger was the father of pianist Andreas Haefliger.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
Who's Online
93 registered (anotherscott, beeboss, alfredo capurso, 36251, 33 invisible), 1209 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158487 Topics
2327481 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission