2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 279 of 540 1 2 277 278 279 280 281 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Whoa! Carlos, that is what I call stepping up to the big stage! thumb

We're going to need to find something like a AOTW Superstar icon for you. grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That IS quite an achievement Carlos and richly deserved as well. Bravo! Of the finalists I enjoyed yours the most. smile

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have O Sole Mio as this weeks song for my lesson. I know the song. When I first looked at it. Made no sense whatsoever. Even after my teacher went over it literally with me. Still didn't click. Been working on it. I can't believe it. I'm actually getting it now!

I remember this song. When I was assigned it (6-11) I wanted to skip it but decided at teachers urging to learn it. Well, when you posted this, I dug out my old book and looked at it and it's not nearly as intimidating as back then. wow This sort of thing brings to mind how much we do progress over time. Isn't it great when something clicks? You'll like it I'm sure.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My sort o` music Carlos. One might lose oneself in one`s thoughts to that tune . . .A peaceful place!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Really well done, Carlos.

Gary
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Carlos!!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Got both pianos tuned last week, having first convinced my wife to move "Rufus" out of the sun and away from the heating ducts. Voila! It's now holding its tune nicely and is up for sale:

[video:youtube]HVf6FIBUwAo[/video]

If you fast forward to 8:42 there are excerpts (chopped up to remove the worst of the flubs) of me playing Clair de Lune. I resisted the urge to ask my tuner to play it to use for marketing purposes... he's fantastic and can make the thing sound like a Steinway.

"Mabel" sounds amazing, such a rich tone, I'm just thrilled with it. It still needs new key tops, hammer filing, voicing, and full regulation. There are some twangy strings, but I think this will be resolved when the hammers are fixed, which will be done with proceeds from sale of Rufus.

Mabel is good enough for the recital in... arrrrggghhh... 12 days, 12 hours, and 58 minutes... shocked

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@Tallguy, Rufus sounds pretty nice now. I was confused at first thinking the video was Mable. Good luck on your sale of Rufus, I'm sure he'll bring someone lots of joy. smile

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Ragdoll. I hope we can sell him fast so I can get Mabel into tip-top shape in time for the 2/15 ABF Recital. We'll have to see.

Nice horse!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations to all that have already submitted for the recital, and for the many other achievements, great and small being reported.

Week 86: another week already? I don't feel ready or willing to record yet, even though I have been playing the piece for several months now. I record and listen to a scrap version of Tracks in the Snow. Ouch, it hurts to listen to the beginner problems. That said, the newly written tune haunts me at times, so there is some power to it. I never know how audiences or listeners might respond to a new piece. Most new pieces and songs have to be listened to many times before they have passed the test. However, virtually no one does repeated listens for amateur songwriters, except the songwriter, so no one really knows.

Onward and upward. In most of the U.S., we get an extra hour with the time change.

Last edited by Sand Tiger; 11/02/13 09:09 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice horse!

Oh thanks TallGuy, she was one of my best ever (out of five). Unfortunately I no longer have her and doubt if she's still alive. I got her as a weanling and sold her (and foal) 9 years later for 10 times what I paid for her.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Aside from CBTS and STWOM I have concentrated this week mostly on improvising from lead sheets and simplified versions of known songs. I think doing this has developed my understanding of voicing chords and harmony greatly. I have found this to be very rewarding and it seems to be a good AOTW to me. YMMV
yippie smile

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have survived pianoless for one whole week of house renovations.
The thought of a new piano when it is done is all that keeps me going.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey folks- you are all so awesome! Congrats to Carlos- good work!! Hope you get your house done soon Malkin. Well done Ragdoll as well.
Well it isn't that much ro report compared with all of you, but just been practising from piano for all- broken chords with crossing over hands and it seeemd so hard- but I finally started getting it and then improvising a tune with them. This exercise is hugely helpful to me as I have do cross overs in Fur Elise and that is helping me with that too. I hadn't done cross over hands before then, just the odd finger!

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/03/13 03:24 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Not at all an achievement. On the contrary, after an extended week-end in Rome with the family (we had a great time) I returned to the bench but a pain in my right forearm stopped me. It's not strong, and I don't even know if it is piano related; I think it is not, because I did not practice much. Yesterday I just ignored it, but after the bicycle ride from work was slightly worse.
So I used the classic ice and rest therapy... no piano, no weights, no computer mouse...

Less than 2 months to MOYD 2013... I'm practicing a bit with the left hand only...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
T
T
My achievement of the week is attempting something hard. I haven't been very hard working lately, as been so busy, so I went to my lesson with the intention to ask to do something easy enough that I could experience some success with it.

Came away with something hard instead. I'm not quite sure how that happened.

But I had better get started.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Achievement of the week was to get the recital piece recorded. I learned a lesson last recital to start the piece with plenty of time so I gave this one the full three months although did falter in effort during the time. Two weeks ago I was thinking of not submitting at all it was just not happening. However a bit of focus and perhaps a bit of statistical luck (usually takes far too many attempts) and I have a recording, albeit this ones never going to make the itunes store.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Earl - If your first two entries are any indication, I'm sure it will be quite good.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Earl - If your first two entries are any indication, I'm sure it will be quite good.

thanks aTallGuyNH, very kind of you to say

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
N
Like many of you, working on getting my recital piece recorded. I'm almost ready to submit. Here is my most recent recording (along with some notes on things I'm working on).

This piece (Chopin's Ballade No. 1) is fun for me for a few reasons:

1) It's the first piece I've learned by myself since I quit playing piano 10 years ago.

2) It's just a really pretty piece, and it's always fun playing beautiful music.

3) I don't know how many threads I've seen on this and other forums where people say, "the Ballade is too hard" "it's one of the most difficult pieces in the repertoire." Well, I always like a good challenge. smile

4) I kept a practice blog of this piece. It's fun going back and listening to how I "played" months ago.

5) I've been using my new site Notable Scores Notable Scores to keep notes, tips; and it's been super helpful to keep tabs on practicing. I like making websites, especially one that actually helps me in my daily life!

I am really excited to hear the recital. I joined Piano World a little after the last recital.

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.
Page 279 of 540 1 2 277 278 279 280 281 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission