Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2004133 - 12/24/12 10:35 PM What stage piano stand for wobble free playing?
thercman Offline

Loc: Spokane WA, United States
The title says it all. Please elaborate on why you use that model. If you own a Nord Piano 2 do you use their stand? If so do you like the results?

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2004142 - 12/24/12 10:53 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I recommend a table stand - something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/km-table-style-keyboard-stand

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2004145 - 12/24/12 11:02 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

Is that what your using James?

#2004149 - 12/24/12 11:20 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA
I use a cheaper version of that type of stand (for a 40-lb keyboard), and like it ...
www.amazon.com/Stage-KS7150-Table-Keyboard-Stand/dp/B000EXIMFI

#2004150 - 12/24/12 11:23 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
AcousticBruce Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
I have this for my Kawai MP6. Its extremely sturdy and it folds up if you need to transport.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Quik-Lok-M-91-Monolith-Single-Tier-Keyboard-Stand-101652691-i1141870.gc

#2004155 - 12/24/12 11:33 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I use a heavy duty z style stand and it's amazingly stable and convenient. Folds up relatively easily and small as well.

The one I have is something like this. I had it cheaper than this, so maybe it was a cheaper model.

#2004165 - 12/24/12 11:58 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: thercman
Is that what your using James?

Well, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same model, but the one I use at home (and for gigs) is a K&M unit, and the same shape.

Solid as a rock. wink

James
x

#2004192 - 12/25/12 02:40 AM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
fizikisto Offline

Loc: Hernando, MS
I also have the On Stage KS7150 stand (same as Mike A) for my nord keyboard and it's very solid, never get a wobble. I have a (generic but heavy duty) Z stand for my yamaha P250 and it wobbles when I play vigorously. Though to be fair, the P250 weighs almost twice what the nord weighs. FWIW, I really like the On Stage stand. If you don't need a second tier it's a great choice.

#2004210 - 12/25/12 05:31 AM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I have the Nord's stand, or "retro legs" as they like to call it. It is stable and the correct height for sitting.

But I use a Roland KS-G8 stand (no wobbling and looks very good to my eyes):

http://www.roland.com/products/en/KS-G8/

#2004211 - 12/25/12 05:40 AM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
Dave Horne Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I bought my piano stand from my local music store. I initially bought the kind that James give s a link to. That worked perfectly but I didn't like the look of it, it reminded me of the 1950's dinette set style.

I use this. I like that it folds flat but it is heavy.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2004238 - 12/25/12 08:36 AM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I have that KS7150 too but I find that it has a bit of side to side wobble. I do not consider it "solid", but it isn't too bad. I only use it rarely, but when I do, it is with the Casio PX-330, which is quite light. (11kg)

Greg.

#2004240 - 12/25/12 08:54 AM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: Kawai James]
KLSinCT Offline

Loc: Stonington, CT USA
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
I recommend a table stand - something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/km-table-style-keyboard-stand

Cheers,
James
x

+1! This is the same stand I use for my Roland FP-7F; it's quite sturdy and doesn't wobble at all....except during the last two pages of Liszt's "Totentanz".... laugh

K.
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129

#2004275 - 12/25/12 11:57 AM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: KLSinCT]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I have the Nord Piano 2 and have been using the K&M 18880 for a little over a year now.
http://www.musicstandsalone.com/k&m18880tablestylekeyboardstand

It's good for gigging--lightweight and sturdy. THe NP sits perfectly snug on it and no wobble. I can't vouch how the stand will hold up long term if you are using it a lot...personally I'd have my doubts. The build quality doesn't seem that robust..but that's probably why it's light. The other downside is that's it's expensive for what it is. Then all K&M stands are pricey.

If you click on the video down the page you can see what the NP looks like sitting on 18880. I'm not crazy about that cross brace look either but again, overall, it's functional, sturdy and light.
http://www.musikmachen.de/Tests/Clavia-Nord-Piano-88

Originally Posted By: thercman
. If you own a Nord Piano 2 do you use their stand? If so do you like the results?

To answer that question--I was contemplating going with the Nord legs. However after posting about them on the Nord forum and Keyboard Corner and asking a yea or nay--I'd say out of about 20 responses, most were negative. They are expensive, take a long time set up and break down on the gig. Also reports of the base that you screw the legs into stripping out after about a year of continous use. It basically reminded my of the days of screwing in the legs on my Stage Rhodes...been there done that...no thanks. cool

Edited by Dave Ferris (12/25/12 12:15 PM)
Edit Reason: added thought

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#2004405 - 12/25/12 10:28 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I own the Nord Piano 2 and I use the On Stage Stands KS7150 Platform stand. It's awesome and even resembles the Nord legs that can be bought for the Nord Stage/Piano/Electro/Organ. It's super stable, folds up in less than 2 seconds, isn't very heavy, and seems to be built quite well. I've had mine for 8 months with over 30 gigs on it with not one issue. All 4 legs adjust separately which is great because if you ever set up on in even ground/stage, etc. it's easy to deal with.

"Life is a lot like jazz...it's best when you improvise."

#2014593 - 01/14/13 06:47 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

Thanks everyone! I have checked them all out and trying to make a decision. I also saw a video over at the Nord forum that you can use Gibraltar hardware to build a keyboard stand. I must say I am very intrigued by that. For the studio my options would be limitless. I could mount my laptop to the rack and my synth etc. Plus it just looks cool. wink While I am deciding I do have a cheap X stand that will hold the Nord until I get the one I want.

#2014654 - 01/14/13 09:52 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Those K&M table stands are rock solid ... The Yamaha LG800 is probably the best stand made ...but you will pay for it.

Edited by Dr Popper (01/14/13 09:56 PM)

#2014662 - 01/14/13 10:15 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlcErM3BRc&feature=player_embedded

I can build it just like in the video for $225. If I use their nicer adjustable clamps to hold the piano allowing me to angle it slightly and upgrade a couple other parts to make it even more versatile it will run $300.....

#2016444 - 01/18/13 12:28 AM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

Guitar center is having a 48hr sale. 15% off. So I went ahead and purchased the items I need to build a stand using Gibraltar parts. That sucker is going to be solid as a rock and allow me to have unlimited mounting options. I will post images when I get it assembled.

#2016449 - 01/18/13 12:38 AM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Looking forward to those pics .... it will be a awesome stand for sure

#2017052 - 01/19/13 02:29 AM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
Awesome. I'm also looking forward to seeing pictures of your completed stand. I wasn't even aware of Gibraltar until your post.

#2017257 - 01/19/13 01:17 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

Ron88,

Since I like to do things myself I googled 'DIY keyboard stand' and found a video on it. :-) After I saw the endless possibilities using those parts, it was all down hill from there. The order shipped so hopefully I'll have the parts by Friday...

#2019968 - 01/23/13 10:39 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

UPS dropped off a package from Guitar Center today. Yay! I quickly unpackaged and assembled the parts to create the keyboard stand. It is really simple to adjust and take apart etc since the clamps just unscrew with handles. I am waiting on the Electronic Mount Arms with Clamps that went back order. That kit will mount to the top bar allowing me to add the MiniNova, computer or whatever else I choose. They make small plastic rings that clip onto the bars and hold cables neatly. I am going to order a couple. :-) From what I can tell this thing is pretty solid and will allow for infinite adjustments. I can't wait until my Nord Piano 2 is sitting on it.....

#2019971 - 01/23/13 10:44 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
8000 Post Club Member

Looks cool, congrats!

And the bonus is that if you run of out space in your wardrobe, you can always raise the top bar and hang some shirts.

Cheers,
James
x

#2019975 - 01/23/13 10:49 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

LOL James! Yeah, I order the 43" vertical bars instead of the 36". If I decide I want to play while standing the keys will not be ridiculously low. It also allows the room I need for the second tier to be out of the way when keyboards are stacked. Heck I may even mount a coffee cup holder on it... Accessories are part of deal here... :-)

EDIT: If anyone is interested in doing this there is a little bit DIY involved. The rubber feet need to be able to slide onto the tubes. From the package they are only open at one end. What I did was use a small hole saw to open the end up and then finish the opening off with a drum sander attached to my drill press. Took about 30min...

Edited by thercman (01/23/13 11:29 PM)

#2019994 - 01/23/13 11:25 PM Re: What stage piano stand for wobble free playing? [Re: Kawai James]
o0Ampy0o Offline

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
Looks cool, congrats!

And the bonus is that if you run of out space in your wardrobe, you can always raise the top bar and hang some shirts.

Cheers,
James
x

An elegant solution with repurpose potential.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (ADWyatt, 36251, Al LaPorte, Almaviva, acortot, 45 invisible), 1509 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153543 Topics
2250209 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
17 minutes 8 seconds ago
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission