Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
114 registered (anotherscott, ando, 36251, Anne'sson, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1544 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2004303 - 12/25/12 01:32 PM kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank
frog97 Offline

Loc: West side of the Globe
Anyone familiar with a letter dated 4/24/2001 from Dr. Shank to Brookside Press about Boston and Kawai Pianos?
Any follow up on this in the past?
Maybe the Kawai people know about this and can follow up?
I received the letter when visiting a store in Tucson over the weekend, when we were on vacation.
Regards & Merry Christmas
Brian

Edited by frog97 (12/25/12 01:33 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2004394 - 12/25/12 09:33 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
What did the letter say? Your post is too vague to be answered.

#2004400 - 12/25/12 10:08 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
frog97 Offline

Clef, I was hoping someone who had seen it would commit on it, I did not really want to commit on what is said, I wanted to be vague, hoping someone would know what I was asking.
Anyway the letter talked about Larry Fine and how Rice would no longer use the piano book for their technology degree program, and fine's preference for kawais over boston, Shank says they have very few issues with boston but lots of issues with kawais i.e. string breakage lid and key frame warpage and chronic loosening of action parts. He states other schools in the area Houston, have had similar problems with Kawai. But the letter goes on and at the end he says the shepherd school no he officially endorse any one brand of piano.
Says the piano book i not an objective professional guide.

#2004407 - 12/25/12 10:30 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I cannot imagine why any letter dated April 24, 2001, should have much currency now.

#2004414 - 12/25/12 10:53 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
I'll bet there's an interesting context we're unlikely ever to learn.

Meanwhile, the world has moved on quite a bit since the date of that alleged letter.

Edited by ClsscLib (12/25/12 10:54 PM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2004420 - 12/25/12 11:04 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
frog97 Offline

I did not write the letter, I was just wanting to know from someone what was behind it, I may send an email to Dr. Shank and ask him about it.
I found his link.
http://music.rice.edu/facultybios/shank.shtml
If anyone wants a copy pm me with a fax or address and I will send it.
Kind Regards,
Brian

#2004430 - 12/25/12 11:28 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Who is this Dr. Shank and what gives his opinion any weight?

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist

#2004451 - 12/26/12 12:27 AM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
The Rice.edu facultybios clearly explains it in the last paragraph. "Since his training in the concert departments of Steinway Halls in New York & London, he has developed courses in piano technology at the Shepherd School."

Makes ya wonder if Dr. Shank (funny name for a piano tech.) gave any thought to the implications of his statements.

#2004507 - 12/26/12 08:45 AM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: Dave B]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted By: Dave B
The Rice.edu facultybios clearly explains it in the last paragraph. "Since his training in the concert departments of Steinway Halls in New York & London, he has developed courses in piano technology at the Shepherd School."

This certainly puts this opinion in perspective. Frankly, I have heard many professional opinions to the contrary as well.

Bottom line - as long as you are comparing apples with apples- neither piano will likely result in any serious problems. I say ignore the letter and give it no credence. Buy what you love and enjoy it.

Good Luck!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#2004518 - 12/26/12 09:08 AM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I spoke to Larry and he doesn't remember corresponding with Dr. Shank, although the name rung a bell. Being over 10 years ago, any opinions would be moot.

Also, a retailer using a 10 year old letter to sway a shopper sounds fishy to me.

Who was the dealer?

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2004524 - 12/26/12 09:27 AM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

And I struck at the bait, chump that I am. Now... I know about as much as I did to begin with.

#2004564 - 12/26/12 12:03 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
frog97 Offline

I visited a Steinway dealer in tucson when on vacation, that is how I got the letter. Now it all makes since to me...rice a Steinway School.
But, I think that Rice and Steinway are still a good University and a very fine piano as well as the boston brands, which I like very much, but, I will discount the letter. I think it may just be an attack to create fear in buying something other than Boston or Steinway. I am still leaning towards the Kawai.
Thanks to all for sharing.
Kind Regards

#2004567 - 12/26/12 12:08 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
Originally Posted By: frog97
I visited a Steinway dealer in tucson when on vacation, that is how I got the letter. Now it all makes since to me...rice a Steinway School.
But, I think that Rice and Steinway are still a good University and a very fine piano as well as the boston brands, which I like very much, but, I will discount the letter. I think it may just be an attack to create fear in buying something other than Boston or Steinway. I am still leaning towards the Kawai.
Thanks to all for sharing.
Kind Regards

Gee, ya think??

#2004591 - 12/26/12 01:01 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Who actually makes Boston pianos, anyway?

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2004600 - 12/26/12 01:16 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
It's a meaningless suck up and face-saving letter. This type of nonsense goes on all the time in both commerce and academia. Hard to believe this letter is still floating around after more than a decade. Maybe Prof. Shank gets royalties per paragraph. Maybe he couldn't find a stamp and never sent it.

You could scan the letter and post it for us all to have a chuckle over.

#2004605 - 12/26/12 01:23 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: ClsscLib]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Exactly! The irony of all this is that Steinway chose Kawai to make Boston pianos. The author of this outdated letter obviously had some kind of agenda. It is like a Steinway "artist" discrediting all non Steinway brands. It's unbalanced and biased.

Kind regards,

Robert.

#2004617 - 12/26/12 01:40 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
In fairness, perhaps Mr. Shank has also forgotten about his goofy letter. It may be only one dim piano salesperson in Tucson, Arizona who treasures it.

#2004648 - 12/26/12 02:55 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: ClsscLib]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
Who actually makes Boston pianos, anyway?

Boston pianos are made by Kawai.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2004652 - 12/26/12 03:10 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"...Shank says they have very few issues with boston but lots of issues with kawais i.e. string breakage lid and key frame warpage and chronic loosening of action parts..."

Sorry, frog97, but the quote is crap. Kawai is famous, not only for their quality product, but for their customer service in addressing any difficulties that may occur.

My last piano teacher did his best to break a string on my Kawai RX-5, with his very powerful concert-hall technique--- but with no luck. The worst that happened was that my ears rang for a week, and the piano needed a pitch raise. Who knows, maybe it was even good for it. My tech has reported none of the issues 'Dr. Shank' raised.

Is not 'shank' a term used in prisons, for a homemade knife used to murder other inmates?

#2004662 - 12/26/12 03:56 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: Jeff Clef]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
"...Shank says they have very few issues with boston but lots of issues with kawais i.e. string breakage lid and key frame warpage and chronic loosening of action parts..."

Sorry, frog97, but the quote is crap. Kawai is famous, not only for their quality product, but for their customer service in addressing any difficulties that may occur.

My last piano teacher did his best to break a string on my Kawai RX-5, with his very powerful concert-hall technique--- but with no luck. The worst that happened was that my ears rang for a week, and the piano needed a pitch raise. Who knows, maybe it was even good for it. My tech has reported none of the issues 'Dr. Shank' raised.

I'm glad Jeff addressed the string breakage issue. I've seen a Kawai keyframe, it's made of extruded aluminum, hardly prone to warpage (the Boston keyframe is IIRC made of wood and thus potentially more prone to warpage). Also the carbon infused ABS I was told was impervious to changes in humidity which is typically what would cause action parts to loosen. Again the wooden action of the Boston would be more prone in that regard. It's not my intent to besmirch the Boston. Those that I've played have not exhibited any issues with the action, they in fact played quite nicely. I'm simply pointing out that Kawai's technology would indicate that most customers should have a very different experience than what the letter suggests. In other words the writer had an agenda and my guess is that the statements were not based on fact. Be that as it may, they're now 11 years old.

#2004664 - 12/26/12 04:05 PM Re: kawai, rice u, Letter to Brookside Press from Dr. Shank [Re: frog97]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
String breakage is mostly due to use. A lot of heavy playing will fatigue the strings, no matter what piano it is. I have seen heavily used Kawais which break strings, but I do not think it is because of a particular design or materials flaw.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
12/20/14 10:26 AM
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
Forum Stats
77369 Members
42 Forums
160010 Topics
2349785 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission