2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C
I live in the US (NY) and all the teachers I've had charged by the lesson. And believe me, my teachers have been serious teachers.
Charging my students this way is just easier, for me at least.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've never met a teacher who charged by the lesson and I've been teaching for 30 years.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I've never met a teacher who charged by the lesson and I've been teaching for 30 years.

I've taken lessons (in Southern California) from teachers who charged by the lesson. They treat piano as a hobby for students, kind of like a coach for swimming or tennis. But I can't imagine doing that and still making a living.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm referring to ongoing lessons with a student. I have paid for individual lessons for myself, but those are coaching sessions scheduled once in a blue moon.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by Morodiene
It has been my experience that the teachers who take lesson payment one lesson at a time are usually less serious or appear to be less serious about their teaching as a business.
And that is your experience based on where you are. As Peter says, "And perhaps payment as tuition in advance is less common in Europe than it is in Canada and the US." Payment by the lesson appears to me to be more common where I live than it is in Canada and the US, and I don't think it reflects on the seriousness of the teacher.

(However, the OP is from the US.)

Exactly, which is why I have the qualifiers. This goes for both in central WI and southern FL (less populated/rural community and more urban).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I'm referring to ongoing lessons with a student. I have paid for individual lessons for myself, but those are coaching sessions scheduled once in a blue moon.

But those were ongoing lessons.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
This PW board is a helpful place to be reminded of differing views on a subject of common interest! Clearly there are many serious, and professional, studio piano teachers who do not charge tuition, but charge instead by the lesson. And our newcomer Cat actually finds this system easier for her, which I kind of understand, assuming that payment is handled at each lesson, and not over a span of lessons.

Have some here ever paid (as a student) or charged (as a teacher) per lesson, but after the fact? I.e., paid or charged for a cluster of several already received lessons? What's your take on that model, versus payment each time?

Signed,
Curious in Canada

P.S. Since my editor is away for the holidays, my last sentence in my prior post came out wrong. It should have read: "Some teachers don't mind the rescheduling issues, but lost income is another matter."

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I find that fees are handled a little more casually where I am (Saskatchewan). I have one teacher who I pay in advance (4 lessons at a time), but my other two teachers both charge after the lessons have been received (one charges after every 4 lessons, and the other one charges at the end of each month). I have been invoicing my students at the end of every 4 lessons and haven't had any issues, but I think I've been quite lucky in that respect. When I grow my studio, I will likely move to a pay-in-advance model.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'll add my 2 cents' worth here. As John said, there have been, and probably always will be, many threads on this subject of makeup lessons/rescheduling/canceling. I find them to be very helpful; lots of good information and feedback.
FYI if a student cancels a scheduled lesson and wants to reschedule, I will offer them a lesson during available open lesson time, if there is any. Doesn't matter to me what the reason is for their desire/need to reschedule; sickness, shopping, etc. what's the difference really?

Piano Teacher
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Barb860
Doesn't matter to me what the reason is for their desire/need to reschedule; sickness, shopping, etc. what's the difference really?

Do parents really say, "Hi, Barb, little Janey won't be at her lesson tomorrow, because she and I are going some mother-daughter shopping in Santa Rosa. When can you do a make-up?"

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I think the reasons is really not important. Little Janey might be shopping at the same time her mom would just say that little Janey is sick, and teacher would have no way to proof it anyway.
I think the importance in this makeup/ rescheduling issue is that how many makeups a family can get in a year. My policy said that a family only get 5 chances in a year. It is parent's discretion about how to use those 5 chances. It is not my business if they decide to take time off because they want to go shopping. I keep track of how many lesson each family cancel and reschedule and been very strict about it not to give more than 5 make ups.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
M
M
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Doesn't matter to me what the reason is for their desire/need to reschedule; sickness, shopping, etc. what's the difference really?

Do parents really say, "Hi, Barb, little Janey won't be at her lesson tomorrow, because she and I are going some mother-daughter shopping in Santa Rosa. When can you do a make-up?"

I actually had a last-minute cancellation that went pretty much like this.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Yep. If I have open lesson time I offer it to them. If no time is available that week, they forfeit the lesson. This doesn't happen too often, though, once parents understand that they have to pay for such missed lessons. It's in my studio policy, but I don't think people really "get it" until the situation comes up for them.

Piano Teacher
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
But Morodiene, do you actually grant a make-up for this? Or does your schedule suddenly become too full, and you just say to Mom, "Sorry, I can't seem to find a slot for this make-up. I'll just see little Janey next week at her regular lesson hour - unless the two of you plan to be shopping again"?

I think the latter might be my response.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 12/28/12 12:17 PM.
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Barb, are you this agreeable even at the last minute, or do you require "X" number of days' notice in advance of the mother-daughter-bonding-in-Santa-Rosa missed lesson?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

I've heard that before. But the most common excuse is another extracurricular activity like swim meet, tennis match, orchestra concert, or any one of the 80 things kids do nowadays.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Barb, are you this agreeable even at the last minute

There is a local high school that pulls such stunts on a weekly basis. The coach would announce (at 7:45 AM) practice (at 3:30 PM) that's mandatory, or else you're benched the following game. And it's not just sports! Choir, orchestra, drama, clubs, you name it.

Only at a nationally-ranked high school could faculty and staff pull such IDIOTIC stunts and get away with it on a regular basis, because all the parents and students are pressured into compliance.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Barb, are you this agreeable even at the last minute, or do you require "X" number of days' notice in advance of the mother-daughter-bonding-in-Santa-Rosa missed lesson?

with 24 hours' notice, I will attempt to reschedule the lesson (if I have available open lesson time). If I don't have any time available, they forfeit the lesson (still responsible for payment). Last-minute cancellations I consider no-shows.

Piano Teacher
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Barb, are you this agreeable even at the last minute

There is a local high school that pulls such stunts on a weekly basis. The coach would announce (at 7:45 AM) practice (at 3:30 PM) that's mandatory, or else you're benched the following game. And it's not just sports! Choir, orchestra, drama, clubs, you name it.

Only at a nationally-ranked high school could faculty and staff pull such IDIOTIC stunts and get away with it on a regular basis, because all the parents and students are pressured into compliance.

Yes, this happens and it's infuriating.

Piano Teacher
M
M
But Morodiene, do you actually grant a make-up for this? Or does your schedule suddenly become too full, and you just say to Mom, "Sorry, I can't seem to find a slot for this make-up. I'll just see little Janey next week at her regular lesson hour - unless the two of you plan to be shopping again"?

I think the latter might be my response.

Actually, I just tell them what my policy is on make-ups (which is that if it's last-minute for a non-emergency, then we don't make it up), and let them know I'll look forward to seeing them next week.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission