Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2004481 - 12/26/12 05:53 AM Rather OT....but been discussed before here...
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I went and saw the opening of the Les Miserables movie yesterday. I was a little disappointed. It was good. But not as good as I thought it would be.
I am very happy that I finally saw the show. The story itself. Instead of just listening to the music on my own. Makes me want to read the book. Which will be a great undertaking.

I'm disappointed in Cameron. I thought he would have made it less of an opera. In places where Hugh and Russel sang. I thought it should have been more of a talking conflict. Those two were always a conflict.
Heck...they did this with songs. Where one would actually talk and work into singing. Made the songs much more real. I thought this would carry through more in the movie.
I thought Cameron allowed the timing to be off a little. Not quite the art I thought it would be. One could blame the director for this.
I think Samantha Barks deserves much more credit and talk of her performance. Somehow she deserves an academy award. Kudo's to Samantha! Better than I thought she would be.
Amanda Seyfried was better than I thought she would be. She did great.
Kate was great. I need to see the movie again. They...I repeat "they" somehow seemed to have timing off...again. Maybe I was just distracted by all the people in the movie. I don't know. It as all there. I need to see it again.
Russel.... They should have done better in casting his part. He isn't bad. I don't think he drags it down. But it could have easily been better.
Hugh...He did real good. Again...I need to see it again.

It seemed to me that the production, editing, etc. were hurried out. Not the care I expected Cameron to demand. I did expect better. A masterpiece of art. Again...maybe I was just too distracted by all the people in the audience. I don't go to movies much. I'd rather see this in my own environment to criticise. My own environment being at 4am when I enjoy my music of the night. When it's quiet. They're all asleep. I can live outside my mind. It is my piano time. My music time. A time I enjoy more than any other part of the day.

Thing that gets me is: Doing these songs like in the movie, has been going through my mind for over a year. Writing songs with the original intent of the book's writer has been in my mind for a long time. I've never read the book. Didn't know the story. Have never seen the play. Been infatuated with these songs for over a year. I now just have to read the book. I want to see a live stage performance. The most impressed I've been is watching recordings of the 25th anniversary concert of this.

EDIT: In short. This was a great movie. But it is not the great masterpiece I was expecting. It is not a Michael Angelo, or Picaso. I need to have a long talk with Mr. Schonberg and Mr. Boubill.
I do think Sasha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter did a fantastic job. Seemed to turn those two from comical, into funny but hateful characters. Excellent!
Eddie Redmayne surprised me. Well done.

Edited by rnaple (12/26/12 07:31 AM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2004508 - 12/26/12 08:47 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I haven't watched the movie but I have a vague recollection of reading the book a long time ago. Maybe more useful - I took one fascinating course toward my degree way back when: comparing literature and film versions of the same thing. I think my paper was on the Hunchback of Notre Dame and a movie, both in French. As I recall:

A lot of the books we read written in that period were about ideas, personal growth of the characters, and the thoughts of the characters. Movies have images, sounds, actions, and words. The book can state the idea directly in a narrator's paragraphs. The ideas and thoughts can also be written in paragraphs. You can't do that in a movie. Some of the old movies will show, for example, a guy driving in his car with scenery going by while a narrator says his thoughts, "It was another typical spring day, and I was thinking......" They were still trying to capture the essence of books. But a movie is not a book. So a movie will have to emphasize different things. If it's historical, then you can see the costumes, mannerisms, and you can guess some of the ideas through hints. But if a book is about ideas, that can't come across nearly as deeply. I'm thinking that what makes a book great may be lost in the movie.

For the Hunchback, as I recall, a great deal of the book was lost or watered down. But new things were emphasized in the movie, which made it enjoyable, like a different thing from the original. It was more about emotion and action, relationships between characters that could be brought out in dialogue and interaction.

Edited by keystring (12/26/12 08:49 AM)

#2004512 - 12/26/12 08:56 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I believe that the motivation behind the creation of the movie and the motivation behind the creation of the book were entirely different.

#2004523 - 12/26/12 09:20 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
It seems like you had many expectations before you went to the movie.
This will allways put you in a frame of mind that may not be as receptive as if (a.) you didnt know the story, (b.) hadnt seen the stage play (c) hadnt read the book, (d) hadnt read critics reports (e) hadnt read reviews in the daily rags., etc etc etc.

Very rarely indeed is a film better than the book that it was "based upon", there are exceptions to this and I am sure folk will cite examples, However the point here is the actual words "based upon"

How can any film that for example is an hour and a half long, be as true to a book that took a week to read? ( or a few days or many hours)

As a further example, take the harry potter (franchise?) books, folk had read them before the films were made (obviously)

The readers of these books got their own personal pictures in their own minds of what the characters looked like, spoke like, and what the surroundings conjured up in terms of scenery, ect ect...

once that has taken place in your mind and you have your personal mental images, how can a hollywood movie hope to impress when its battling your own personal preconceptions?

many folk i have talked to that had read the harry potter books, detested the films...

Of course there must be examples of terrible books that have made good films??

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2004555 - 12/26/12 11:43 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: rnaple
I went and saw the opening of the Les Miserables movie yesterday. I was a little disappointed. It was good. But not as good as I thought it would be...

...I've never read the book. Didn't know the story. Have never seen the play. Been infatuated with these songs for over a year. I now just have to read the book. I want to see a live stage performance...

Ron - there is a very good chance that if you had seen a performance of the live stage version of this great musical you would be more than "a little disappointed" with the movie - a very good chance, but I don't really know for certain because I haven't seen the movie myself yet and won't until next week (probably on New Year's Day)...

But, I'm extremely wary of going to see it and I have much trepidation about doing so - I've seen the live stage performance of it 6 times in 6 different theaters with 6 different casts (since the early 90s) and have come away overwhelmed by the power and beauty of the music and the deep seated humanity of the story every time - and I'm afraid the movie will never be able to come close to matching those live, in person experiences...

I'm particularly worried about the casting - Hollywood is once again up to it's usual tricks of going with "names" and "star power" at the expense of the real, extraordinary talent of almost all of those who have been /currently are cast in the roles on the stage worldwide. In this regard, I've never forgiven Hollywood for casting Audrey Hepburn in the movie version of "My Fair Lady" instead of the lesser known but much more talented Julie Andrews (who starred in the show on Broadway)!

I'll let you know more next week, but I'm not expecting much...except perhaps a lot of disappointment and anger.

Trap

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2004829 - 12/27/12 07:55 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Gee Trapper... I wasn't old enough to care who they cast in; My Fair Lady. I was old enough to have a crush on Audrey Hepburn. smile That was easy to do, all the way to the day she died. Julie always had so much talent, it wasn't even funny.
I'm rationalizing from what you said on the plays that; These people do this so much. It's kinda like they're perfecting a masterpiece in their performance. If it's very well worth going to watch their personal masterpieces?
My sister in law's father spends his vacations going to Broadway to see shows. I now understand why he does. There is a big reason why these shows sell out years in advance.
All I had to go on in the movie was sneak peeks on youtube. I thought they would present this as a masterpiece, taking full advantage of what can be done on film. I thought they would stick to getting the very best they could for each part. I fear the movie still gave in too much to Hollywood's ways. Biggest problem being editing. Gee....these three guys putting on all the plays and this movie...They're filthy rich. They can do it. I'm rationalizing there was just too much childish arguing about; It has to be done like this and this and...
I'd like to see them redo it...but this time...go through Andrew Lloyd Weber's; Really Useful Group. I think they would show the care needed. And Andrew would love to do work with these guys.

Oh Rossy Rossy Rossy.... that about says it. Thanks for posting.

Oh the book. I understand this is really a story of relationships. An exploration of differing types of love. Of people who are rich on the inside, versus those poor, wretched, and naked on the inside. It used the revolution as a backdrop for these relationships.

On books in general. The only book I ever read in one day was: Seabiscuit. It was like a seven course meal of fine food. The movie was like a McDonald's happy meal. I still can't believe I actually read that book in one day.

All and all in the Les Mis movie. I do think that Anne and Hugh put forth trying to create a masterpiece. They did put that much into it. It showed. I still can't belive there isn't more talk about Samantha's performance. I was hoping for the whole movie to be up to Samantha's level.

#2004856 - 12/27/12 09:23 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I wasn't familiar with Samantha - here's the movie trailer featuring her - looks really good...

But, here's what she has to live up to (from the 10th Aniversary concert version in London):

#2004871 - 12/27/12 10:07 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Watching those two videos: musically the concert wins hands down. The movie looks really interesting but I wouldn't watch it for the singing. LOL

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2005198 - 12/27/12 09:33 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

[quote=TrapperJohn]I wasn't familiar with Samantha - But, here's what she has to live up to ...

Do these two look familiar? .... (big big big grin)

[video:youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIjU02gVGNw [video]
EDIT: Well I goofed up the link. But it's still there to click on. smile At 5:55 into it.... smile Samantha has had plenty of "practice"... hehe

You know I think the world of Lea.
I do think Samantha did the transition to a film performance perfectly. If she were allowed, she would have stolen the show (movie).
I also think they couldn't get Lea to do anything in the movie. I have seen a statement from Lea saying she is tired of playing other people. She wants to play herself. Not to say there is not plenty of other great stage performers who could have done a great job adding to the movie.

EDIT: One question, Trapper... The person always pictured on the marquee...that is Eponine, right? For the movie it is the young Cosette. That would be another little thing taking away from Samantha.

Edited by rnaple (12/27/12 10:34 PM)

#2005219 - 12/27/12 10:22 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: TrapperJohn
I went and saw the opening of the Les Miserables movie yesterday. I was a little disappointed. It was good. But not as good as I thought it would be...

...I've never read the book. Didn't know the story. Have never seen the play. Been infatuated with these songs for over a year. I now just have to read the book. I want to see a live stage performance...

Ron - there is a very good chance that if you had seen a performance of the live stage version of this great musical you would be more than "a little disappointed" with the movie - a very good chance, but I don't really know for certain because I haven't seen the movie myself yet and won't until next week (probably on New Year's Day)...

But, I'm extremely wary of going to see it and I have much trepidation about doing so - I've seen the live stage performance of it 6 times in 6 different theaters with 6 different casts (since the early 90s) and have come away overwhelmed by the power and beauty of the music and the deep seated humanity of the story every time - and I'm afraid the movie will never be able to come close to matching those live, in person experiences...

I'm particularly worried about the casting - Hollywood is once again up to it's usual tricks of going with "names" and "star power" at the expense of the real, extraordinary talent of almost all of those who have been /currently are cast in the roles on the stage worldwide. In this regard, I've never forgiven Hollywood for casting Audrey Hepburn in the movie version of "My Fair Lady" instead of the lesser known but much more talented Julie Andrews (who starred in the show on Broadway)!

I'll let you know more next week, but I'm not expecting much...except perhaps a lot of disappointment and anger.

Trap

1+
Excellent points made above. I, too, have seen the live stage performance- both on Broadway and a national touring company and am undecided whether or not to see the film. Anything less than superb quality singing will disappoint.
I think I felt the same way when "Phantom" was released in the theatres, although I do feel Emmy what's-her-name did an excellent job and has a lovely voice (AND it didn't sound over-trained, if you will).

#2005232 - 12/27/12 10:44 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: piano joy

...Emmy what's-her-name

Uhhhh....cough cough...mmmmm ... That's Rossum...
She's another one of my sweeties.
Oh that cemetary scene. Those big huge sad brown eyes. Singing: Wishing you were somehow here again.

Edited by rnaple (12/27/12 10:57 PM)

#2005340 - 12/28/12 07:20 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the video Ron...

piano joy - you're absolutely correct about anything less than superb singing being disappointing...

The most important point is that one MUST see a live stage performance to fully appreciate the power & beauty of this "most beloved" (and most seen worldwide) of all musicals - for those who have the time and desire here is the next best thing - the complete 10th anniversary concert version from 1995 in London:

Enjoy, Trap

#2005354 - 12/28/12 08:10 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Ok Trapper... You can judge from the 25th Anniversary Concert in London...
(forgive my lack of posting videos...forget how)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAugBdMMdM0

Does she live up to expectations?

As you saw earlier. Lea did Fantine in the 25th. Lea did Eponine in the 10th. Lea knows that play well. smile
Now I do think Samantha is different. Samantha still lives up to any expectations of excellent.

#2005531 - 12/28/12 12:53 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ok,I'm not Trap, however...

Personally, I think Lea S. wins "hands down".
Of course, musical tastes vary and are subject to one's own opinion.

Now, Samantha does a very good job, I agree. She is about 20 years younger than Lea, so experience may have something to do with it.....I just think Lea's voice is more pleasant, smoother, softer.

The other issue is once someone creates an original role, they almost "own" it and it can be a very difficult act to follow.
For example, Zero Mostel defined the role of "Tevye" in Fiddler on the Roof.
I can hardly bear to watch someone else sing or play that role.

Just my two cents worth.
Now, get out of those hills every so often and go see this LIVE.
smile

Edited by piano joy (12/28/12 12:53 PM)

#2005701 - 12/28/12 05:49 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Personally, I think Lea S. wins "hands down".
Of course, musical tastes vary and are subject to one's own opinion.

Now, Samantha does a very good job, I agree. She is about 20 years younger than Lea, so experience may have something to do with it.....I just think Lea's voice is more pleasant, smoother, softer.

The other issue is once someone creates an original role, they almost "own" it and it can be a very difficult act to follow.
For example, Zero Mostel defined the role of "Tevye" in Fiddler on the Roof.
I can hardly bear to watch someone else sing or play that role.

I agree fully with pj about Lea and Samantha, and especially for the reason I've emboldened above...Samantha is good but Lea is so remarkably talented and compelling - and she indeed does own this role and song...

I also heartily agree about Mostel and "Fiddler" - I'm currently learning the great song his character of Tevye does in that heart-warming musical, one of the best from any musical ever: "Sunrise, Sunset".

#2005743 - 12/28/12 07:23 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

However...Ron...I broke down and saw the movie this afternoon (it beats staying home with crazy boys in the house!) and I must say, Samantha did a very good job, indeed; far better than I had anticipated!
Quite the actress, too.

Painful: Russell Crowe singing.
More painful: Hugh Jackman singing "Bring Him Home".
Ouch!

...was surprised to see Helene Bonham Carter in this...

note to Trap: why doesn't anybody play "Sunrise/sunset" on the piano anymore? It's so well suited for the keyboard!

Edited by piano joy (12/28/12 07:24 PM)

#2005748 - 12/28/12 07:33 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just HAVE to post this...

hmmm, I think he may have invented Zumba, unknowingly!

#2005775 - 12/28/12 08:47 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

I just HAVE to post this...
hmmm, I think he may have invented Zumba, unknowingly!

Now that's how to pray! smile

...You know I think the world of Lea...

I only wanted to compare Samantha to the rest of the movie. Not to Lea.

#2005779 - 12/28/12 08:58 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
rnaple Offline

Now, get out of those hills every so often and go see this LIVE.
smile

I did get out in November. Was in So. Cal. Wasn't a pleasure trip. Tried though...almost saw Jazzwee performing. Just had too much driving all over. Going anywhere became stress.

I'm much more free now. I really want to see this on stage. I'll see....

#2005940 - 12/29/12 09:27 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Painful: Russell Crowe singing.
More painful: Hugh Jackman singing "Bring Him Home".
Ouch!

This is what I fear most. Here is the gold standard, which absolutely no one will ever match:

note to Trap: why doesn't anybody play "Sunrise/sunset" on the piano anymore? It's so well suited for the keyboard!

Yes it is and I think it has been played, although not a lot lately - however, I'm doing my very small part with a rather simple arrangement to bring it back... smile

#2005944 - 12/29/12 09:34 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...I really want to see this on stage. I'll see....

You must! This should be at or near the top of your bucket list!

Here's a link to the national tour, which lists Kalamazoo, MI as probably the closest location for you (@Western Michigan University at the end of Jan.):

Braodway Tour

Trap

#2006069 - 12/29/12 03:05 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

HHhuummmmm... Denver May 22nd. That's a 6 hour drive for me. Just might go. I'll have to see.
I wanted to visit my relatives in So. Cal. in June this year. That would have been in time to see this there. I got mixed up having to spend a grand on attorney fees to defend a bad traffic ticket. That's important to me. I'm a commercial driver. (truck) So I didn't go.

Trapper....You'll be able to see Colm in the movie.

I really didn't want this to become a "who's the very best" discussion.
I said I think the world of Lea. She has the fantastic ability to put her heart in her voice. Don't even need to look at her. Just listen. She is exceptional in anything she sings. If you look at youtube videos. There are some where she does a show and invites men out of the audience to come sing with her. Oh would I love to do that. Would make my entire world.

Still.... A movie is different than stage. There are things you can do in a movie to take advantage of it...artistically. You can't do those things on stage. I'm so happy this exploration of relationships and differing loves gets more exposure. I'm happy the people who did it gave it their all. I think perhaps this is Samantha's first role in a movie? I'm glad she did it. I'm very impressed with her movie performance. I think it was pretty obvious where they used any stage performers in the movie. They all nailed it. Like they had done it a million times before. Well... they probably did!

EDIT: I just checked...the Buell Theater in Denver... Geesh! Those tickets ain't cheap! Seriously...Trap...anybody else who's attended plays... I take it the closer I sit. The more I actually hear the person sing instead of just the PA system. Right? They're selling out now. Not everything available. What the heck the gonna charge me for popcorn? A hundred bucks? smile

Edited by rnaple (12/29/12 04:13 PM)
Edit Reason: Idiot babbling

#2006194 - 12/29/12 07:11 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

HUH?
Whatcha mean " you'll be able to see Colm in the movie"?

I didn't see him! Don't tell me he was an "extra"!
arrrrrghhhh!

p.s. remind me not to let you drive me anywhere.....

#2006202 - 12/29/12 07:27 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
rnaple Offline

HUH?
Whatcha mean " you'll be able to see Colm in the movie"?

I didn't see him! Don't tell me he was an "extra"!
arrrrrghhhh!

p.s. remind me not to let you drive me anywhere.....

Oh joy joy joy.... you see a movie and you don't see it. Who do you think the Bishop was? Mr Ed?
Go back and watch it again!
No I'm not driving you there!

Edited by rnaple (12/29/12 07:30 PM)

#2006215 - 12/29/12 07:53 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Just to stop this from getting kicked. The music in this movie was originally written using a piano by Mr. Schonberg and Mr Boublil.
smile

Oh...And Piano Joy went and saw it and didn't even recognize Colm Wilkinson.

#2006238 - 12/29/12 08:32 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

blush

I am an idiot
I am an idiot
I am an idiot
I am an idiot
I am an idiot
I am an idiot

(repeat 100x)

ps. does it matter AT ALL that he's aged about 20 years?
.....no? didn't think so....sigh.....

#2006247 - 12/29/12 08:49 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
rnaple Offline

blush
ps. does it matter AT ALL that he's aged about 20 years?
.....no? didn't think so....sigh.....

You thought that right. smile

I might go see it again tonight. I'll say hi to Colm for you. smile

EDIT: I just checked. They have expanded the showing of this in my local theatre. Shorted two others.

Edited by rnaple (12/29/12 09:00 PM)

#2006266 - 12/29/12 09:53 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...I just checked...the Buell Theater in Denver... Geesh! Those tickets ain't cheap! Seriously...Trap...anybody else who's attended plays... I take it the closer I sit. The more I actually hear the person sing instead of just the PA system. Right? They're selling out now. Not everything available. What the heck the gonna charge me for popcorn? A hundred bucks? smile

You can actually sit too close - you lose perspective - roughly 10-20 rows back is about right I've found - and as far as hearing goes that's good too - you'll be surrounded and enveloped and immersed in glorious and gorgeous sound - the front rows of the balcony in some theaters is a great viewing/listening spot also...

Whatever the tickets cost they are well worth it for this awesome entertainment spectacular - just think of it as a well-deserved Christmas bonus! And forget popcorn - go with Reeses' Pieces or Peanut Butter Cups smuggled in from a local Dollar General - cheap and tasty laugh

#2006269 - 12/29/12 10:45 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Thanks Trapper... They have a not deep Mezzanine level. It appears to be lower than the balcony level. They even have boxes on the side at both Mezzanine and Balcony level. Must be a beautiful theatre. I'm thinking seriously of getting tickets this weekend.

I obviously didn't go to the movie again tonight. I decided to spend the money on a copy of the book, and a french english dictionary. Which was highly suggested for the best english translation...must be some words not translated.

Oh BTW: I won't have to worry about Javert when I smuggle in the goodies? I won't have to get up there singing: Who Am I? 2460...ttttttwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2006395 - 12/30/12 07:34 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh BTW: I won't have to worry about Javert when I smuggle in the goodies? I won't have to get up there singing: Who Am I? 2460...ttttttwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smile

Javert would show unaccustomed mercy - you'd only get 2 years at hard labor for that - stealing a loaf of bread is 5, as Valjean discovered, much to his chagrin...

#2006457 - 12/30/12 09:57 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Trapper...
Anything in front of the 18th row is sold out.
I can get two in the middle at 18th row....Theatre is ramped up going back. So should see pretty good too? Knowing my luck, the Denver Nuggets will sit right in front of me. Doh!..... or
Mezzanine...looks to be about 25 rows back. Covered by balcony. Can get two in the middle, front.
Price is the same through the Performing Arts Center...Buell Theatre itself. Only the same price as I thought popcorn would be.

EDIT: I goofed. The colors are wrong on the seating chart. Available seats are few and far between. Had to click the seats themselves to find out.

Edited by rnaple (12/30/12 10:36 AM)

#2006474 - 12/30/12 10:23 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'd like to go officially on record as stating that, EVEN
Colm Wilkinson would NOT approve of popcorn OR any type of Reese's PB Cups or Chips being consumed at Les Mis.

Truly, how gauche!

A glass of wine, perhaps....possibly, a French pastry -during intermission only!

(ps. fun thread...)
smile

#2006535 - 12/30/12 12:58 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
rnaple Offline

I'd like to go officially on record as stating that, EVEN
Colm Wilkinson would NOT approve ...
smile

I'm not worried about Colm. I'm worried about Javert... dragging me up on stage in front of everybody... oh the horror.

Ok Ok... You guys did it! It's all your fault!
I got me two tickets. Saturday Matinee Performance. Had to look around performances to find decent seats. Geesh...this is just about sold out.
So I got one ticket on the fifth row. Just barely inside the "Golden Circle" as they call it. That golden circle seems to be thier prime area. They have three rows in front of that area. Taking it that they are using up the orchestra pit. Also tables and chairs in front of that? So my ticket is back farther than 5.
Other one is behind that to the 12th row. Just outside the golden circle.
Just didn't seem right buying just one ticket. So I gotta bring a heifer. Gee.... I brought a heifer to see the movie. First date. At the end, all she said was: I didn't even know what the story was about? I haven't seen her since. Doh!
I'm glad I went through the Denver Center for the Performing Arts website. Tickets were much cheaper. I could have spent over double for them elsewhere. Still cost me a couple hundred bucks. Doh!

Edited by rnaple (12/30/12 01:05 PM)
Edit Reason: More rambling of an old fool.

#2006735 - 12/30/12 08:29 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ok, ok, I see where this is going...

You're going to take some boring-gal-whom-you-barely-know-or-the-likes with you and then complain you didn't like the live show because of HER.

No way, I won't have it!
For crying out loud, just leave the seat next to you empty OR give it away to some poor slob who will be happy to get in from the cold.

We'll be expecting a review Saturday evening, then!

#2006760 - 12/30/12 09:11 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Oh joy joy joy... I hope you don't read music like you read posts on the forum... smile

I don't have any seats next to each other.
It's warm in Denver on Memorial Day weekend.
I have 5 months to turn in the review.

I got the second one just in case. Since I can actually get it now.

I'm looking forward to it.

EDIT: BTW.... "no way I won't have it"....does that mean that you want to attend the Les Miserables Play for free in Denver? And bug me as much as possible? There will be 6 seats between us. You're gonna get some people mad. Maybe I can throw Reeses cups at you? Afterward....I have only one hotel room booked. smile

Edited by rnaple (12/30/12 09:15 PM)

#2006889 - 12/31/12 06:37 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ok Ok... You guys did it! It's all your fault!
I got me two tickets. Saturday Matinee Performance.

Congrats Ron! Great move - you will not regret this, as it may turn out to be the high point of all your entertainment experiences (which it is for so many others) - just heard somewhere that over 60 million people have seen Les Mis live worldwide since it's inception...astounding!

I see from the touring schedule that it will be in Baltimore in early April - may have to make this my 7th as part of a long weekend Anniversary trip since it's around this time - it's been over 2 years since I last saw it live and I'm starting to get withdrawal pains...still don't know if I really want to see the movie...have a strong feeling it's really going to p--- me off!

#2006905 - 12/31/12 07:43 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh joy joy joy... I hope you don't read music like you read posts on the forum... smile

I don't have any seats next to each other.
It's warm in Denver on Memorial Day weekend.
I have 5 months to turn in the review.

I got the second one just in case. Since I can actually get it now.

I'm looking forward to it.

EDIT: BTW.... "no way I won't have it"....does that mean that you want to attend the Les Miserables Play for free in Denver? And bug me as much as possible? There will be 6 seats between us. You're gonna get some people mad. Maybe I can throw Reeses cups at you? Afterward....I have only one hotel room booked. smile

What?!

I read music excellen- er....
I read music very wel- um....
I read music.

1. Who the heck buys seats NOT next to each other?
Oh yes, the same person who names their dog, Lucy or
Linda or whatever-that-name was....
2. Everyone knows it can be chilly in Denver in May !
3. I meant, the review Saturday night in May, AFTER the perfromance, OF COURSE... wink

Oi.....

(Trap: don't pay full $ for the movie...or wait for it to come out on cable!)

#2006906 - 12/31/12 07:44 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

...still don't know if I really want to see the movie...

Just keep in mind that it's a movie. They tried to take advantage of what can be done on film to illustrate this story. Much of it does do that.

I try to keep in mind that the movie is causing many people to see the play, and read the book. It's all Victor Hugo's masterpiece.

I'm so looking forward to the play. I can't decide which of the two seats I'd rather sit in. Gonna be awesome from up that close!

#2006912 - 12/31/12 07:50 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

and don't bother looking for Colm in this video.....

#2006990 - 12/31/12 10:40 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

piano joy - stunningly beautiful...

Thanks so very much!

Trap

It was sheer perfection as is...but I was wondering how it would sound with an added flute...

#2007004 - 12/31/12 11:00 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Trap, if you liked that, try this (love it!):

#2007115 - 12/31/12 04:03 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

smile

Simply incredible!

Loved the final (somewhat dissonant) chord...

Who the heck (<===not the word I used) are these guys!?!

Edited by TrapperJohn (12/31/12 04:04 PM)

#2007195 - 12/31/12 08:06 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Those were good.
Thank you Piano Joy...

#2007349 - 01/01/13 06:40 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
rnaple Offline

5 months in advance. I can't even find two seats next to each other. Unless it was in the back of the balcony next to the bathrooms.

UUUhhhhh hhhhuummmm.... cough cough... that's Julie...
Many who met her said: That's a good name for this dog. A very special dog. Best person I have known to walk the face of this earth in my lifetime.
The same idiot named one of his cats: Brian
My friend had a Saint Bernard named: Lucy

Everyone in Florida. Gee...it gets to 30 degrees and I take my coat off at work. That's down right balmy after below zero.

3. I meant, the review Saturday night in May, AFTER the perfromance, OF COURSE... wink

Gee... I'm gonna be in Denver. Have a Suite with only one bed. And I'm supposed to be writing reviews? Oh you're mean!

#2007388 - 01/01/13 09:02 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My other favorite song from the show - Marius sings of his fallen comrades:

Trap

Ron - to post a YouTube video: copy it's address there as usual - at PW click on "Switch to Full Screen" at bottom of new post - click on 5th icon (monitor) to the rt. of "Post" - select YouTube video from dropdown list - paste YT address - click on OK

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/01/13 09:02 AM)

#2007391 - 01/01/13 09:34 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Thanks Trapper... I've spent so many years online. I get to where directions to do something become a blur. I just need to remember to go to full screen.

One thing that does get me in the movie. Hugh and Russel just don't have what it takes to do the "confrontation". Here they had Colm on set. He could have taught them. Colm and Philip literally blew the socks off this and other confrontation "talks". With them it sounded natural, it flowed, was real. Now why couldn't the people in charge either have changed Hugh and Russel to talk. Or have Colm teach them!?

#2007433 - 01/01/13 11:46 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

5 months in advance. I can't even find two seats next to each other. Unless it was in the back of the balcony next to the bathrooms.

UUUhhhhh hhhhuummmm.... cough cough... that's Julie...
Many who met her said: That's a good name for this dog. A very special dog. Best person I have known to walk the face of this earth in my lifetime.
The same idiot named one of his cats: Brian
My friend had a Saint Bernard named: Lucy

Everyone in Florida. Gee...it gets to 30 degrees and I take my coat off at work. That's down right balmy after below zero.

Gee... I'm gonna be in Denver. Have a Suite with only one bed. And I'm supposed to be writing reviews? Oh you're mean!

Well, I do admire the use of multiple quotes in this post. I don't know how to do that. Please don't bother teaching me, I prefer to keep things simple here on PW...

Trap- the non-celebrities in the movie are (I believe) "real singers" (can't think of the word I want!), FYI.
The children sing wonderfully!

#2007737 - 01/01/13 11:50 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
I saw the play in the 80s. It was amazing. I'm very non-judgmental when it comes to movies. But, I've seen the previews for this movie and it just looked like crap to me (for a few reasons). I'm not going to go see it.

#2007817 - 01/02/13 06:23 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Well, I do admire the use of multiple quotes in this post. I don't know how to do that. Please don't bother teaching me, I prefer to keep things simple here on PW...

pj - It's one thing to do multiple quotes from a single post by someone else, and quite another thing to do multiple quotes from multiple posts (either from one other person or multiple persons) - I'm sorry you don't want to learn how - I so wanted to teach you - this isn't fun at all - I get so few chances to show just how much of a "techie" I am here laugh

#2007820 - 01/02/13 06:33 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: Kymber]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kymber
I saw the play in the 80s. It was amazing. I'm very non-judgmental when it comes to movies. But, I've seen the previews for this movie and it just looked like crap to me (for a few reasons). I'm not going to go see it.

Hi Kymber - welcome to the Les Mis Discussion Group - you say you're "non-judgmental" about movies and then you say that it "looks like crap" based on the previews...I'm confused - this sounds a tad "judgmental" - care to elaborate?

#2007822 - 01/02/13 06:36 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I went to see the movie yesterday afternoon - I will give you my thoughts as soon as I collect them - they're scattered about everywhere...like after an explosion laugh

#2007836 - 01/02/13 07:57 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, Trap, you just gave us a trailer of your review!
ha ha ha!
Awaiting eagerly.....

(and I promise, that if the day arrives and I wish to learn how to quote multiple whatevers in my posts, YOU will be the one I turn to! promise! )
smile

Edited by piano joy (01/02/13 08:03 AM)

#2008146 - 01/02/13 06:40 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Oh, Trap, you just gave us a trailer of your review!
ha ha ha!
Awaiting eagerly.....

Ha! Don't hold your breath - sometimes reviews, like movies, can't live up to the trailer... smile

#2008387 - 01/03/13 07:28 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

I went to see the movie yesterday afternoon - I will give you my thoughts as soon as I collect them - they're scattered about everywhere...like after an explosion laugh

I look forward to what you have to say.
I understand what you said above. To me...the movie is like looking at a painting being worked on that will one day be a masterpiece.

#2008889 - 01/04/13 08:36 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here are some random thoughts on the movie and it's cast (this is a mere summary of my thoughts over the last couple of days) - I am practicing the art of self-restraint as much as I'm capable:

Crowe (Javert) - too bad he didn't throw himself off the bridge into the raging waters below much earlier in the movie - he ended his personal agony then, but could have ended ours far sooner - instead we get listen to him croak his way through his Les Mis repertoire over and over, a fate for us far worse than anything Valjean will have to endure at his hands...

Hathaway (Fantine) - she has perfected the fine art of simultaneously over-acting and under-singing to the hilt - in so many ways not right for this part that it's clear why Hollywood with it's ultra low standards chose her - I secretly smiled and breathed a sigh of relief when she finally breathed her last and the action moved on to the much more lively and entertaining inn keeper and his slovenly wife (who were still largely disappointing in their own mediocre way)...

Jackman (Valjean) - not half bad, which means only half good, but only when he wasn't singing - oops, he was singing almost all of the time wasn't he? Never mind. It should be a crime punishable by flogging and waterboarding for anyone of lessor talent than Pavarotti, or better yet, Colm Wilkinson to be allowed to sing "Bring Him Home" in public - shame on you Hugh! Don't you have any pride or self respect? You guys too, Russel and Anne...

The girl who played the young Cosette and the boy who played Gravoshe (sp.?) were fairly good - he's the one who hung out with the students and got shot for his trouble - the inn keepers wife was just barely ok but the inn keeper himself was lethargic and boring and out of place and should have been out of sight - this role calls for (demands) someone much seedier and grimier and yet strangely almost likable and that wasn't to be here.

The guy who played Marius and the girl who played the older Cosette were tolerable but not distinguished or exceptional and could easily have been replaced by far superior talent, whereas the guy who played the leader of the student rebels was very good (can't think of his name, either real or character) and could and should have had the part of Marius. Samantha was decent as Eponine, but just decent - she made me feel her pain, and want to see a better fate for her, but still I've been spoiled in my image for this character by another and just can't get her out of my old, feeble brain!

I didn't expect much from the movie except to be irritated and disappointed and got what I expected - the wonderful music suffered, and the music after all is what matters the most - but it will survive this assault and live on in all of it's magnificent power and beauty - there was far too much "technical wizardry" in the direction/photography and many of the scenes and a lot of the action was not as I have come to imagine it in my mind over the years, which is always a let down...in essence, there are many good reasons why this musical in particular should never be made into a movie, and very few why it should (in fact the only reason it should be would be because they let me cast and produce and direct it!).

All I need now is to see another live in-person stage production of it again to restore the long-cherished and deeply rooted loving image I have of this awesome entertainment spectacular and to be right back where I was before this very rude interruption...

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/04/13 08:42 AM)

#2008946 - 01/04/13 12:41 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Trap, please tell us how you REALLY feel!

(ha ha!)
Can't disagree with any of the above....
A movie, of course, adds to the sense of sight more than a stage production can.
However- and this is a big "however"- we are discussing a MUSICAL....so, the "seeing" is not so important, as our imaginations can take care of that!

Can't wait to discuss another musical/made-into-movie!

smile

Edited by piano joy (01/04/13 12:41 PM)

#2009074 - 01/04/13 06:00 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Kymber - welcome to the Les Mis Discussion Group - you say you're "non-judgmental" about movies and then you say that it "looks like crap" based on the previews...I'm confused - this sounds a tad "judgmental" - care to elaborate?

Ha ha. I suppose that did sound a bit contradictory.
I guess I mean that I know enough to take a preview or review with a grain of salt. But when I saw the preview for les miserables the background/scenery looked really fake. Some of the singing "felt" awkward and some scenes even looked like they might be computer generated. When I heard they were making the movie I was really excited because les miserables was the first "real" broadway type show I'd seen. it was amazing and left a lasting impression. So maybe I am unfairly holding the movie up to too high of a standard. Ha ha.

Edited by Kymber (01/04/13 06:01 PM)

#2009082 - 01/04/13 06:12 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

(ha ha!)
Can't disagree with any of the above....
A movie, of course, adds to the sense of sight more than a stage production can.
However- and this is a big "however"- we are discussing a MUSICAL....so, the "seeing" is not so important, as our imaginations can take care of that!

Can't wait to discuss another musical/made-into-movie!

smile

Did anyone see Sweeney Todd (the movie?).
Sorry if this was discusses already. I'm on my iPhone and it will take me forever to read all the posts.

In regards to visual aspects in a musical. That's what I love about a life production-what they have to do to get an ideas across visually can be very impressive. For example, when I went to see billy Elliot and he had to go from his bedroom to another scene. So they had a loft type bed on wheels and pulled it away as he ran down the stairs of the bed and added some props and there he was in the next scene ready to go - it was really neat to watch. When I saw les miserables the stage had a center the rotated in circles. It was fun to see the creativity and imagination that went into all the visuals.

#2009109 - 01/04/13 07:14 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

I'm really happy you liked it, Trap.... smile

Seriously.... I view all this as Victor Hugo's masterpiece. Even the songs, they were created from a thought. A thought that came from the book. That's the way I view it.

#2009361 - 01/05/13 09:38 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

(ha ha!)

I'm really happy you liked it, Trap.... smile

smile Good ones! But, remember I did say I was exercising self-restraint...

When I heard they were making the movie I was really excited because les miserables was the first "real" broadway type show I'd seen. it was amazing and left a lasting impression. So maybe I am unfairly holding the movie up to too high of a standard. Ha ha.

If Les Mis was your first real musical then you started right at the very top - everything else will pale by comparison...

And, in a certain sense it would be "unfair" to hold anything in the whole, wide, wonderful world of entertainment "up to it's standard"...

Trap

P.S. pj - please note the use above of multiple quotes from multiple posts from multiple members...you too could do this in 3 easy lessons laugh Hint: it involves the use of multiple simultaneous sessions of PW ABF...

#2009547 - 01/05/13 04:42 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

... it would be "unfair" to hold anything in the whole, wide, wonderful world of entertainment "up to it's standard"...

Gee Trapper.... You make me look forward even more to seeing the play. I'm really not into entertainment. I get bored with movies. Walk out. I'm a writer at heart. I think of what is behind what is going on. I think of the intent.
I may be getting into more than I bargained for in the play. I'm going to be sitting close enough that I can not only see them up close and personal, and hear themselves actually singing. I'll be able to feel them singing. Singing is bearing one's heart and soul, completely naked in front of people. It is not easy to do, right. This may corrupt me, on entertainment.
Last time I saw a live play was... lets see.... oh yes... The great mecca of artistic talent at the Antelope Valley Jr. College... Doh! I don't even remember what it was about. I do remember each one of them acted as if it was about them. ... Doh!
May God have mercy on me and my humble income. (typical SD income) Doh! I may spend more time going to Denver's Performing Arts Center in the future.

Edit: For the life of me. I cannot understand these idiots going on a bus to see some football game. Geesh... They don't have a life! How stupid! But something like Les Miserables in a live play. That is a whole different story. Now I just need a nice heifer who can appreciate the thoughts of Victor Hugo. Then afterward the two of us can play Hunchback of Notre Dame.... Sanctuary!....Oh yes!....glorious Sanctuary!

Edited by rnaple (01/05/13 05:02 PM)

#2009878 - 01/06/13 08:13 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Gee Trapper.... You make me look forward even more to seeing the play.

...this may corrupt me, on entertainment.

...May God have mercy on me and my humble income. I may spend more time going to Denver's Performing Arts Center in the future.

smile

In addition to all the great shows that Rogers & Hammerstein composed, two other musicals are more than well worth seeing live and in-person because they are so special and unique and vastly entertaining: "Fiddler on the Roof" (as mentioned by pj above) and "A Chorus Line", my own personal favorite before "Les Mis" came bursting on the scene - both held the record for longest run on Broadway for awhile...both can easily justify going deeper in debt laugh

#2009889 - 01/06/13 08:32 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Trap, so glad you mentioned "Fiddler on the Roof".
I have never seen the stage production, only the movie (as mentioned in a previous post) and I do believe it's my favorite musical of all time. (note the word musical, not necessarily play/story).

Ron- rent it if you haven't seen it- and it has to be the version with Topol in it. It's a 1971 film, won 3 academy awards (which probably meant a lot more back then!) for best picture, best actor amongst them.

The story is both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time; a story of family and love and harsh realities of life.
Throw in some melodic music, great lyrics and what's not to like?

Trap, I liked A Chorus Line (saw live a few times) and always enjoyed it, not really a favorite.

My latest more favorite- Jersey Boys. Have you seen?
Again, based on a real life story, the music has you jumping out of your seat wanting to bop along (and these guys were before my time, mind you!); very very entertaining.

My gut tells me Ron would not greatly favor either Chorus Line or Jersey Boys; just a hunch...
I'm guessing Miss Saigon might be more up his alley- or hills, as it might be...

#2009932 - 01/06/13 10:45 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My latest more favorite- Jersey Boys. Have you seen?

My gut tells me Ron would not greatly favor either Chorus Line or Jersey Boys; just a hunch...
I'm guessing Miss Saigon might be more up his alley- or hills, as it might be...

No, I haven't seen "Jersey Boys" - not sure why - the music is "in my time" - grew up with it & liked it - probably will see it sometime...

Ron might not like "A Chorus Line", except for the "T & A" song, which is probably way up his alley and which I think he would just eat up laugh Check it out on YT Ron - lots of raunchy versions there!

Saw "Miss Saigon" on Broadway some time back - by the same composers as "Les Mis" - liked this also but not one of my all time favs...

I think Ron would definitely like "Chicago", which I saw twice on Broadway - here's a rare example where the movie version is almost as good as the live version - the stars in this were surprisingly good, but then again mainly because the music over all is far less demanding vocally (although very entertaining)...

#2009948 - 01/06/13 11:24 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Thank you both for the input.
I have recently checked out some stuff through Netflix. Manily to study and know the story behind the songs.
I have considered getting season tickets to the Black Hills Playhouse. They will do 4 plays over summer. They allow a season holder to use the 4 tickets anyway they want. Can reserve seating also. Only one play this year interests me there; Godspell. I'll see. They say the Playhouse does really good. I still don't expect it to be like a touring company.
I went ahead and signed up for the Denver Performing Arts Center newsletter. Maybe I should make a contribution. No matter how small. So they will consider me a contributor and special treatment on availability of tickets. They have a few buildings for the arts. Let's see with this play first. One thing is for sure...I won't be getting a hotel room near the Center...they run about $350 a night. Doh!
When in Elementary School. My music teacher went nuts over Fiddler on the Roof. We had everything Fiddler on the Roof for a while.
I like all your suggestions. I appreciate it. My boredom with entertainment might very well be changed. Still, my best entertainment is entertaining myself. Creating.

#2010208 - 01/06/13 07:38 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I have considered getting season tickets to the Black Hills Playhouse. They will do 4 plays over summer. They allow a season holder to use the 4 tickets anyway they want. Can reserve seating also. Only one play this year interests me there; Godspell. I'll see. They say the Playhouse does really good. I still don't expect it to be like a touring company.

Great idea Ron! Some small theaters can be surprisingly good in their productions, both of musicals and straight plays. We have several here in Central PA such as the Hershey Theater near me and especially the Fulton Theater in Lancaster, which is my favorite - it's relatively small and plush with excellent acoustics, and every seat is a good seat - this is where I last saw Les Mis (with my wife and 3 daughters) 2 years ago, and where Ill see the touring co. of Chorus Line in March - you might be very pleased with their shows (and they will appreciate your support) - I think you'll like Godspell a lot.

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/06/13 07:39 PM)

#2010400 - 01/07/13 04:10 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Trap, so glad you mentioned "Fiddler on the Roof".
I have never seen the stage production, only the movie (as mentioned in a previous post) and I do believe it's my favorite musical of all time. (note the word musical, not necessarily play/story).

If you ever get a chance see it live - you will love it even more - I took my one daughter to see it at the aforementioned Fulton Theater several years ago for her birthday at her request (she takes after her father with her highly discriminating taste laugh ) and it was wonderful - a Broadway quality production - we both enjoyed in completely!

#2010494 - 01/07/13 09:27 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just got tiks for the Apr. 10th show in Baltimore! This will be my 7th - I swear there are Les Mis freaks all over the world who attend monthly or even weekly...

Hey Ron - thought you might like to do a little Les Mis souvenir shopping - check this out - maybe you can get them to change the 1 to a 2 laugh

Shop for Les Mis stuff

Trap

#2010871 - 01/07/13 09:45 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Congrats, Trapp.... sounds great....

One that ya'll haven't mentioned... Man of La Mancha.... It is a wonderfully romantic story. Look forward to someone doing it again. Brian Stokes Mitchell was great.

#2011027 - 01/08/13 07:18 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Congrats, Trapp.... sounds great....

One that ya'll haven't mentioned... Man of La Mancha.... It is a wonderfully romantic story. Look forward to someone doing it again. Brian Stokes Mitchell was great.

Thanks Ron - yes, Man of La Mancha - great show - great music - this is The Don's song, but check out this version:

#2011536 - 01/09/13 02:53 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

She reminds me of Lara Fabian. Not sure why. I think Lara is one of the very best.

We both know "the" song in Man of LaMancha is one of the best song's ever. It's THE song of romantic success.

My last name is the same as one of these persons they love to put up on YT singing this song. It's his characters name. Not real name. His character got that name from a relative of mine whom the Marine Corps loves to claim is the only civilian to ever be buried in a Marine Corps cemetery.

I may not have money for entertainment soon. Even though the Denver trip is paid for already. That may have to be it for a while. I might be working for the City at the Landfill. It would involve a big pay cut. Since I would be overseeing inmates...that 24601 shirt might work... or.... maybe should have a Javert costume... smile

Edited by rnaple (01/09/13 07:02 PM)
Edit Reason: Old fool typo....

#2011858 - 01/09/13 06:59 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Oh Trapper.... Don't look at this link... Don't think it will make you happy...

Les Miserables Soundtrack Tops Charts

#2011934 - 01/09/13 09:35 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh Trapper.... Don't look at this link... Don't think it will make you happy...

Les Miserables Soundtrack Tops Charts

I'm not that surprised. Have you listened to what's on the radio these days? (speaking in generalities, of course, nothing is ALL or NONE)
I think this more reflects unsophisticated tastes in music than any true musical quality (in particular vocal, as we've mentioned in previous posts).

Oh, and I do own the CD- but of the original Broadway Cast recording.

Edited by piano joy (01/09/13 10:21 PM)

#2012081 - 01/10/13 05:02 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

She reminds me of Lara Fabian. Not sure why. I think Lara is one of the very best.

Lara does look a little like a slightly younger Linda...hadn't seen/heard much from Lara before so I went to YT to check her out - really nice voice, but not quite as powerful as Linda's I think...

I may not have money for entertainment soon. Even though the Denver trip is paid for already. That may have to be it for a while. I might be working for the City at the Landfill. It would involve a big pay cut. Since I would be overseeing inmates...that 24601 shirt might work... or.... maybe should have a Javert costume... smile

smile - Javert costume, definitely - and I bet you can sing better than Russel too!

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/10/13 05:03 AM)

#2012086 - 01/10/13 05:25 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

As I said above "Chicago" is a thoroughly entertaining musical, and a rare case where the movie version is as good as (if not actually better) than the stage version - Richard, Rene and Catherine all did commendable, if not necessarily great, work and were surprisingly good - the music as a whole is delightful and yet doesn't demand outstanding vocal skills to pull off - the movie was very well directed and filmed and here's one of my favorite clips:

#2012678 - 01/11/13 09:32 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Another musical that made a smooth and compelling transition to the screen was "Caberet" - Liza & Joel had more than enough talent to make this happen - here they are with the "Money"

song:

#2012769 - 01/11/13 12:34 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Trap, I agree, I think the movie "Chicago" was well done, overall and I really enjoyed it. Richard Gere has a rather odd voice, but it suited the role fine and, well, he is easy on the eyes.

The ladies did fine vocally and the choreography was very, very good.

Not a huge fan of Cabaret, not sure why- I think it's "Liza", I just can't get into Liza, although I am a big fan of Judy!

OK, I'm going to throw one out there: the Producers (Broadway version...the movie was "so-so").
I have to say- this is one of my favorites. First and foremost, very, very, VERY funny!
Second, I have to give credit to Mel Brooks who wrote the music and much of it is quite melodic and clever at the same time. I mean, really- how many people can write screenplays AND the music ? Impressive.

I would have given anything (almost) to have seen the original Broadway cast - of course, I am now forgetting all names, geez! The dude married to Sarah Jessica Parker- and, oh, yes, the other guy: Nathan Lane! Superb casting for this!
Let's see if I can find a video...

Edited by piano joy (01/11/13 12:36 PM)

#2012775 - 01/11/13 12:44 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Darn! Can't find a good video of orig Broadway cast...but here's a taping of a recording...(skip ahead 2.5 minutes or so if don't wish to hear Mel Brooks intro, although I like it).
Again, nice melody, good lyrics, has an "old-timey" feel to it.
As I recall, the choreography to this song was lots of fun, too!

#2013222 - 01/12/13 05:25 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I watched the vid pj - mildly amusing - like with you & Liza I've never really been a big fan of Brooks' stuff - I'm old enough to remember when he used to be on TV regularly as part of the cast of some variety show or other & I guess he wore himself out then - I haven't seen "Producers" so I shouldn't pre-judge, and probably wouldn't attend (unless tiks were free or greatly reduced) but who knows - I could be pleasantly surprised...

However, I think I may be too cynical and jaded and grumpy to fully appreciate his brand of humor these days...for example, I still laugh like crazy at old reruns of M*A*S*H although I've seen them dozens of times, but don't really find Brooks' "Blazing Saddles" all that funny...where have I gone wrong? laugh

#2013251 - 01/12/13 06:52 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

However, I think I may be too cynical and jaded and grumpy to fully appreciate his brand of humor these days...for example, I still laugh like crazy at old reruns of M*A*S*H although I've seen them dozens of times, but don't really find Brooks' "Blazing Saddles" all that funny...where have I gone wrong? laugh

I think perhaps you like that MASH meant something. It went from a comedy with dramatic undertones, to a drama with comedic undertones. It grew into many thoughts that meant something deep down. MASH's comedy also was much more realistic. I will always like MASH alot. I love to laugh at the warped characters who are that way by their own choice.
Blazing Saddles had all it took for a hilarious comedy. It lacked timing...good editing. Whereas Young Frankenstein was edited great. It had all the timing spot on. I think Young Frankenstein was far funnier.
EDIT: No we don't need criticism of the singing in Young Frankenstein. The music and singing were superb. Superbly funny. smile

Edited by rnaple (01/12/13 07:38 AM)

#2013306 - 01/12/13 09:32 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Just got tiks for the Apr. 10th show in Baltimore! This will be my 7th - I swear there are Les Mis freaks all over the world who attend monthly or even weekly...

Something about musicals that has this affect. I knew a gentleman that PAID and went to see West Side Story 12 times.

Jesus Christ Superstar had the same effect on me. Although I only saw it at the movies once and then got the tape (yes tape.) Plus, two stage productions.

South Pacific is right up there for me now, after seeing the stage production last summer (Bali Ha'i may call you.)

Les Misérables on my to do list now. Although, by the sounds of it (great review smile...thx,) I may just wait for the stage production to come back to cow town. I'm not holding my breath though.

#2013328 - 01/12/13 10:00 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: Greener]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Greener

Something about musicals that has this affect. I knew a gentlemen that PAID and went to see West Side Story 12 times.

Hi Greener - welcome to the Les Mis (et al) Discussion thread!

I can believe that about WSS - wonderful music ("Maria", "Tonight", etc.) and a great entertainment experience...

South Pacific is right up there for me now, after seeing the stage production last summer (Bali Ha'i may call you.)

I've had a debate going for years (mostly with myself laugh ) about which of the R & H musicals has the most great music - I've narrowed it down to 3: "South Pacific", "The King and I", and, of course, "The Sound of Music" - SP might just have a slight edge, but only because it contains what I think is one of the most beautiful songs ever written anywhere by anyone: "Some Enchanted Evening"!

Les Misérables on my to do list now. Although, by the sounds of it (great review smile...thx,) I may just wait for the stage production to come back to cow town. I'm not holding my breath though.

I would strongly recommend waiting - however, you could see the movie first, but only with the understanding that you're not seeing it at it's best (not even close), but only on a level that a decent High School or mediocre college production might give to it (especially with regards to the most important elements, which is the music and the singing thereof) - at least you would get an overview of the plot and the characters, which would make the live stage production more enjoyable (the plot can be a tad confusing for 1st timers) - better yet, forget the movie for now and watch the 10th Anniversary Concert version that I posted a link to above - the talent in this is world class!

#2013338 - 01/12/13 10:08 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think perhaps you like that MASH meant something. It went from a comedy with dramatic undertones, to a drama with comedic undertones. It grew into many thoughts that meant something deep down. MASH's comedy also was much more realistic. I will always like MASH alot.

That's brilliant Ron thumb

In one sentence you've put your finger on something that I've been trying to explain to myself for years...that's the essence of the show's strong appeal for a whole lot of people, and why it continues to be popular and relevant today...you're a genius!

#2013432 - 01/12/13 01:01 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Trap, I agree, I did not find Blazing Saddles at all funny- in fact, couldn't even watch the whole thing!
Now, the OLD movie, "The Producers" is quite funny but the musical adds a whole other element. You have to be prepared for a comedy, with music if you should ever see it. You know..laughter is good for the body and soul....and heart! smile

The King and I - love it!
Sound of Music (well, come on, can you be human and NOT love this based-on-true-story musical)- love it!
West Side Story- who mentioned that?
LOVE LOVE LOVE ! Romeo/Juliet love theme, catchy song and dance - the movie was spectacular, I thought! Even though Nancy Wood (wait, what was her name, eeeek!) did not sing the part of Maria.
Natalie Wood, I meant, ha!
This song nearly makes me cry every time:

I've never seen South Pacific...hmmmm.

I just realized the dancing and choreography is a big part of the entertainment in musicals for me. Superb singing is wonderful in itself, but if there is clever choreography added , well, that's about as good as it gets for me.

Edited by piano joy (01/12/13 01:04 PM)

#2013442 - 01/12/13 01:19 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
'Knock, knock'
- who's there?
'Salmon'
- salmon who?
'Salmon chanted evening...'

Sorry, I'll go away...

#2013476 - 01/12/13 02:27 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
Greener Offline

Thanks for that, Richard. Added to my Arsenal laugh

I just realized the dancing and choreography is a big part of the entertainment in musicals for me. Superb singing is wonderful in itself, but if there is clever choreography added , well, that's about as good as it gets for me.

Well then, I can't resist ...

#2013484 - 01/12/13 02:41 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: zrtf90]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
'Knock, knock'
- who's there?
'Salmon'
- salmon who?
'Salmon chanted evening...'

Sorry, I'll go away...

ai, ai , ai !

note to Greener : ok, I watched the whole 5+ minutes...
nice song, I've heard it before and....NO DANCING!
so, I give it a B at best. smile

Tonight, I see Wicked for the 2nd time. Let's see if I like it any better than the first time (thought it was OK only).

#2013604 - 01/12/13 06:37 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

That's brilliant Ron thumb
...you're a genius!

I got that from the internet. Do I get any points for agreeing with it enough to rewrite it? Doh!

#2013816 - 01/13/13 08:20 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

pj - nice post of "Somewhere" from WSS - I had forgotten about that lovely song...and yes, it's Natalie Wood (she of "Miracle on 34th Street" fame), but I forget who did her singing for her...just one more reason why "stars" shouldn't be used in musical movies...it's bad enough when most of them do sing, but it's really phoney when someone else has to sing for them while they fake it...

Greener - good hearing the "Dames" song again (although I'm not too sure how politically correct the term dames is anymore, but it sure sounds better than "There is Nothing Like a Person of the Female Gender") laugh

Ron - even if you did get it from the internet it takes a genius to find it and to recognize it for it's worth and truth, and to post it in the appropriate place - and then to "fess up" about the whole thing smile

Richard - that's so bad it's almost good - laughed in spite of myself (and that hurts...)

This is not an "exciting" video, but it is still the best version of this wonderful R & H ballad Salmon Chanted Evening Some Enchanted Evening from "South Pacific" that I've ever heard - all Perry ever did was smile and stand back and sing his heart out - he didn't have to do any more with this one:

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/13/13 10:09 AM)

#2013865 - 01/13/13 10:48 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Here's a very interesting one I think you all would like...

Gee.... I remember Perry Como was huge. Here's a different take on; Some Enchanted Evening. Notice Reba all Goo Goo eyed. She really is cute. Brian is one I want to see in person.

EDIT: Thought you all would appreciate this comment that accompanied a YT of Philip Quast singing Stars...funny...but true...

I don't care if Crowe doesn't have a "Broadway" voice, as long as he can sing with feeling and nuance. The dude basically mooed like a cow through his songs and showed NO understanding of his character's motivations. If you didn't know anything about the show before seeing the movie, you'd have no idea why Javert was obsessed with Valjean or why he killed himself. Crowe was horribly miscast here.

Edited by rnaple (01/13/13 11:32 AM)

#2013872 - 01/13/13 11:01 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

That Lea definitely has talent !

Ron, I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but Brian who?
Not sure I know him, but THAT VOICE!!! Wow!
I'd be all goo goo eyed and weak in the knees next to him, singing, too!

I should know who he is, it bothers me so!

#2013890 - 01/13/13 11:41 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
rnaple Offline

That Lea definitely has talent !

Ron, I'm almost embarrassed to ask,...

I should know who he is, it bothers me so!

I showed Brian earlier...he was THE Don Quixote on Broadway.
He's won Tony awards.
Brian Stokes Mitchell

EDIT: I'm surprised. He's only won one Tony award; Best Actor in Kiss Me, Kate.

Edited by rnaple (01/13/13 11:59 AM)

#2013904 - 01/13/13 12:16 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
Greener Offline

Turning into a fun little classic Musicals thread here. So, I must get a plug in for all time favorite rock opera;

#2014014 - 01/13/13 05:23 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Excellent posts everyone - very enjoyable!

EDIT: Thought you all would appreciate this comment that accompanied a YT of Philip Quast singing Stars...funny...but true...

I don't care if Crowe doesn't have a "Broadway" voice, as long as he can sing with feeling and nuance. The dude basically mooed like a cow through his songs and showed NO understanding of his character's motivations. If you didn't know anything about the show before seeing the movie, you'd have no idea why Javert was obsessed with Valjean or why he killed himself. Crowe was horribly miscast here.

Amen! Eat your heart out Russel!

Thought you all might like this for comparison (and to prove that Philip can be the good guy):

#2014028 - 01/13/13 06:08 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Trap, Philip's singing gave me goosebumps!
I am so in awe of some of these voices!

Well, we may as well exhaust Les Mis before moving on to some other musicals....
Another couple of favorites:

#2014266 - 01/14/13 07:24 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

pj - thanks for the post of the "Innkeeper" - always thoroughly enjoy this - it's great comic relief in the middle of a very serious story line - Alum Armstrong is his name and he's the sleaziest Innkeeper I've ever seen (and thus the best!) - the guy's very talented in his own special way - much better than the guy in the 25th Anniversary concert...

It's good to finally see the lyrics in subtitle - I always thought they were very clever and witty, but I've mis-heard some over the years - maybe it's his thick cockney accent - you know things are getting bad when you need subtitles in English for English! laugh

Well, we may as well exhaust Les Mis before moving on to some other musicals....

Exhaust? Not a chance...especially when we haven't even compared world class performances of one of the show's best known numbers - you be the judge...

Here's Ruthie Henshall from the 10th Anniversary concert:

And here's Lea Salonga from the 25th Anniversary concert (15 years after her role as Eponine in the 10th):

#2014283 - 01/14/13 08:21 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

pj - thanks for the post of the "Innkeeper" - always thoroughly enjoy this - it's great comic relief in the middle of a very serious story line -...

That is my biggest problem with the movie. The production, editing. They lost all the timing of a good piece of entertainment. It was thrown together. I blame the director, producers, movie company. Yes, the comic relief is an important part of keeping the story alive. To stop it from dragging on in a monotone attitude. Bring them up, bring them down, bring them all around...That is what makes great entertainment. Dynamic range!

This is the same reason I'm not crazy about opera. It lacks dynamic range. The best in opera I personally think is: Andrea Bocelli. Because he does use dynamic range. He sings softly, as well as opera it.

It's good to finally see the lyrics in subtitle - I always thought they were very clever and witty, but I've mis-heard some over the years - maybe it's his thick cockney accent - you know things are getting bad when you need subtitles in English for English! laugh

When I was young, I went on a Scotch ship that was in Houston. Tried talking to those people. It was a bunch of laughing and saying: Talk Slower. The english language is splitting up into different languages. I also confess, I had my southern accent rather strong then.

Exhaust? Not a chance...especially when we haven't even compared world class performances of one of the show's best known numbers - you be the judge...

Here's Ruthie Henshall from the 10th Anniversary concert:

And here's Lea Salonga from the 25th Anniversary concert (15 years after her role as Eponine in the 10th):

I've seen a comment that Fantine is supposed to be ridiculous, with big blonde ridiculous curls. That's is how he saw Ruthie. I can't disagree more strongly.
I have seen a recent interview with Mr. Schonberg. He allowed himself to say that Fantine was a dreamer. I think Mr Schonberg, Mr. Boublil, and Mr. MacIntosh have had it too good for too long. They don't have the fight in them to keep the original inspiration going anymore. Giving into other's stupid thinking. They didn't fight enough on the movie.
I think: "I dreamed a dream" is so true of all of us. It is our view of the world as a child. Then realizing in our adulthood that we're in a pool of destruction. That's all this life is, destruction. Either join the destroyers, or be destroyed. When it's all over the story to reach to a higher existence in a greater love than selfish love. That is where we evolve into what we were meant to all along. A being that lives forever.

I'll see for myself. I'm picking up the book from my apartment office this morning. Have the day off. Getting some work done, and going on a job interview. Took this long for amazon to send it to me...after christmas vacation. Also, friday was a bad day weather wise. Can't belive office people had to go home early. I missed the package. I drove all day long in that miserable frozen blizzard of a mess. I wished I was in an office.

EDIT: I got the book. Geesh it is thick! Mass market publication. Typical paperback, pocketbook size. But it's two inches thick. It's more the size of a brick. Will definitely have to use my reading glasses due to the small print. This makes me want to buy a kindle, or iPad. I'm too cheap though.

Edited by rnaple (01/14/13 10:53 AM)

#2014315 - 01/14/13 09:52 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Happy birthday to you, Pianojoy!
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2014350 - 01/14/13 10:56 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Happy Birthday, Piano Joy!
For your present. The very best rendition of; "The Prayer" there is on the face of the earth.

#2014358 - 01/14/13 11:13 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes- Happy Birthday PJ!

Nice present Ron - I can't top that, but I can give her an extra helping:

Make a wish...

#2014632 - 01/14/13 08:40 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys (and gals)!
I loved the posts....
Andrea Bocelli is a favorite of mine and "Time to Say Goodbye" is pure bliss! (funny enough, I've been listening to that exact you tube video daily for a few weeks now!)

Can you believe Les Mis (movie) got a Golden Globe for best musical- well, actually, maybe it was the ONLY musical, makes sense.....oi vey!

Trap, I liked Ruthie Henshall's voice, haven't heard her sing before, I think. Show me who else has sung that song or played Fontine.
Why would Fontine be "ridiculous" ? I've always pictured her character as more of sad, once-hopeful-but-now-hopeless woman whom life has beaten down.

Ron, you can handle two inches thick, I believe in you! grin

#2014778 - 01/15/13 06:28 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I got the book. Geesh it is thick! Mass market publication. Typical paperback, pocketbook size. But it's two inches thick. It's more the size of a brick. Will definitely have to use my reading glasses due to the small print. This makes me want to buy a kindle, or iPad. I'm too cheap though.

smile

Ron - I vaguely remember trudging my way thru the book, but I can't remember how many years ago - it was a mixed blessing and a real task and a half - Hugo is a writer of the highest order and the plot and characterization are complex and imaginative, but he digresses at several points at length and in depth into the politics and economics and social conditions of the times, the details of which are unnecessary to the story line and of interest probably only to geeky students of 19th century French history...but don't let that discourage you laugh

Trap, I liked Ruthie Henshall's voice, haven't heard her sing before, I think.

Yes, I agree - she is good, very good - her voice is strong and sure - I always liked her Fantine a lot...at least until I saw Lea's...now, I'm not too sure - Lea just simply "nails" everything she sings, and is absolutely wonderful here, and may have a slight edge both vocally and in the strong emotion she feels and displays in the lyrics...one should always have dilemmas like this!

#2014793 - 01/15/13 07:10 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

Ron - I vaguely remember ...- Hugo is a writer of the highest order and the plot and characterization are complex and imaginative, but he digresses at several points at length and in depth into the politics and economics and social conditions of the times, ...:D

I've been caught simply by the introduction. About Hugo's life. His political involvement in France. How he was in exile. It was a political statement to his countrymen.
I have read Dostoevsky. A Russian writer. Fascinating to me. How he describes life at that time. He was thrown in prison in Siberia for sharing thought. A fate many of his educated countrymen endured. As if it were against the law to be educated.
I was an idiot when younger to not dive into stuff like this. I just knew I was unhappy with society. Wanted better answers. Now I have those answers and am enjoying a second childhood.
I may very well spend some time lost in this novel.

Yes, I agree - she is good, very good - her voice is strong and sure - I always liked her Fantine a lot...at least until I saw Lea's...now, I'm not too sure - Lea just simply "nails" everything she sings, and is absolutely wonderful here, and may have a slight edge both vocally and in the strong emotion she feels and displays in the lyrics...one should always have dilemmas like this!

This is the one thing people hear and do not realize. It is what they try to call the X factor. The one thing that grabs a person in song. It is what comes from the heart in song. Expressing that, freely. That is what communicates something special to people. They don't even realize it.
A friend of mine used to mention that people, at times, were; "Tripping". I like to think of tripping being a song. That is what it is. When the mind flows with imagination and creativity from the heart. Whethere it be singing, or playing an instrument. It is tripping.

#2014802 - 01/15/13 07:32 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I just have to jump in here (imagine that!)

Ron, with regards to "tripping". Whatever the word for that quality, it's ultra-important in the musical and creative arts and makes the difference between a technically correct performance and a mesmerizing, goose bump-delivering performance.

For example: ice skaters at the Olympics. Ever notice how one will skate perfectly but is rather dull to watch? Then, another one may deliver a not-so-perfect performance yet is thrilling to watch perform? Same with ballet, any type of dance- some people seem to have the ability to pour their hearts and souls into their craft and the audience is moved. Others, well...blah.

I believe it's true with artists, writers, and, of course, singers.
It's that "special something" that just seems to reach another's soul.
Not sure it can be taught....

#2014809 - 01/15/13 07:44 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Ron, with regards to "tripping"...makes the difference between a technically correct performance and a mesmerizing, goose bump-delivering performance...For example: ice skaters at the Olympics.
Isn't tripping rather bad in the ice skating? smile

#2014915 - 01/15/13 01:03 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: zrtf90]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
Ron, with regards to "tripping"...makes the difference between a technically correct performance and a mesmerizing, goose bump-delivering performance...For example: ice skaters at the Olympics.
Isn't tripping rather bad in the ice skating? smile

Back in the day "tripping" usually meant the almost continuous ingestion of mind-altering drugs (e.g., LSD) to the serious detriment of one's awareness and rational abilities...(or so I've heard...)

But now it could also mean "tripping" over one's tongue while making a weak and flimsy attempt at really corny humor laugh

#2015168 - 01/15/13 10:20 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

It is fascinating reading a first hand account of what a guillotine is. Realizing we have only a superficial understanding of the creature. Hugo saw it's work...live. Impressive job of describing it.
It is fascinating reading about his fictional Bishop. How everybody has to complain, manipulate, deceive, destroy. Man has not changed one bit. He is still the same.

OK....Ok....ok... Besides Piano Joy...thank you...good thinking Piano Joy... besides her...What the heck are you two babbling about? No...no... no Purple Dragon... No skaters running into walls.
Now if you'll please excuse me...

#2015287 - 01/16/13 05:36 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sounds like Ron is deeply immersed in The Book...hard to believe this is the same guy who wrote "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"...

I've always thought of the guillotine as being "a cut above" any other form of capital punishment (sorry, the devil made me say it!).

So, what's next on your reading list Ron? "Don Quixote"? This is brimming over with tons of wit and wisdom - a rousing read! The Man of La Mancha awaits your intense and devoted perusal...but one "brick" at a time, huh?

#2015291 - 01/16/13 06:01 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

We've been a little remiss here so far as regards the Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals - here's my favorite song from any and all of them - from "Phantom of the Opera" Christine sings of her love and respect for her deceased father while struggling to break free of his influence and assert her independence now that she has become the lead soprano at the Paris Opera...

Here's a decent rendition by Emily Rossum from the fairly well done movie version (she looks great too, although I'm still not sure that an exposed cleavage is totally appropriate for a cemetery scene in the cold and snow smile ):

And here's a stirring concert version from Sarah Brightman (the actual song begins somewhere past the 2 minute mark):

The highest compliment that I can give to this hauntingly beautiful song is that it is awesome enough to be in "Les Mis"...

#2015303 - 01/16/13 06:50 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

Sounds like Ron is deeply immersed in The Book...hard to believe this is the same guy who wrote "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"...
So, what's next on your reading list Ron? "Don Quixote"? ...but one "brick" at a time, huh?

I may very well read the Hunchback next. Even though you know society has changed the title. I find writers fascinating who, even though it is a fictional story, it is all based on reality. I'm prejudging that Le Notre Dame de Paris is a far greater story than we have cut it down to be.
That is what fascinates me about Dostoevsky. He was hailed as a great writer by the Russian people because of his ability to capture the essence of what life was like in Russia at that time.

We've been a little remiss here so far as regards the Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals -

Here's a decent rendition by Emily Rossum from the fairly well done movie version (she looks great too, although I'm still not sure that an exposed cleavage is totally appropriate for a cemetery scene in the cold and snow smile ):

Gee Trapper.... My eyes have always been so glued to those huge sad brown eyes so much that I never noticed any cleavage? I also have to admit...I think Emmy has more heart in her singing than Sarah.
The Phantom is another great Novel based in France. So true; The world pushes you into the sewer. You make a palace of the sewer. You then begin to experience life above and beyond anything they can even comprehend.

The French have gotten so much right in life. Their view of enjoyment. Make it a little, but obscenely good. Like their fine food. I have had the pleasure of enjoying food like that. Obscenely good.

Edited by rnaple (01/16/13 06:52 AM)

#2015315 - 01/16/13 07:28 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ok, you two, please stop with the Emmy cleavage comments- you do realize she was, perhaps, 16 years old when that movie was made? You're "grossing me out" !
You can discuss Ms. Brightman's cleavage all you'd like...

Trap, I liked both versions of " Wishing....".
It's obvious Sarah has more experience and her voice sounds more (what's the word) "operatic"? She might have a slight edge over Emmy, but only slight!

I am a HUGE Michael Crawford fan and this has always been a favorite of mine :

** I stand corrected- Emmy was approx 18 during Phantom...I guess it's at least legal....
smile

Edited by piano joy (01/16/13 07:33 AM)

#2015326 - 01/16/13 08:02 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

(heavy sigh....)

#2015515 - 01/16/13 02:20 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ok, you two, please stop with the Emmy cleavage comments- you do realize she was, perhaps, 16 years old when that movie was made? You're "grossing me out" !

** I stand corrected- Emmy was approx 18 during Phantom...I guess it's at least legal....
smile

pj - I hope you didn't misconstrue my intentions or motives - I was only concerned for the young lady's well being, I assure you - I feared she was inadequately attired given the rather harsh meterological conditions, and might develop some nasty pulmonary and/or throat infection...as a devoted father of 3 daughters I'm all too well aware of these health hazards... smile

Trap, I liked both versions of " Wishing....".
It's obvious Sarah has more experience and her voice sounds more (what's the word) "operatic"? She might have a slight edge over Emmy, but only slight!

Yes, slight - if I'm not mistaken I think Sarah was the first Christine on the London stage - not sure who played the Phantom there - Michael did on Broadway (I think)...

#2015606 - 01/16/13 04:20 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

smile

pj - I hope you didn't misconstrue my intentions or motives - I was only concerned for the young lady's well being, I assure you - I feared she was inadequately attired given the rather harsh meterological conditions, and might develop some nasty pulmonary and/or throat infection...as a devoted father of 3 daughters I'm all too well aware of these health hazards... smile

Trapper....where did I put my waders? It's getting deep in here!

I've watched that 100 times and I ain't seen no cleavage? Besides...Those big, huge, ever so sad, brown eyes... Every word coming out of her mouth drives that stake deeper through my heart.

Here's one that will get PJ really sick...
Talking to an engineer from Saudi Arabia.
Said he had three wives.
Asked: When was the first?
Engineer: Oh...right after college...about 22 23?
How old was she?
Engineer: Oh...16
The second?
Enginner: Oh...I was..lets see...35
How old was she?
Enginner: 16
How about the third?
Engineer: I was 48
How old was she?
Engineer: (very nonchalantly).... 16
smile

EDIT: Oh I think I get it!? Eyes are considered cleavage! Yes! Ain't I smart!?

Edited by rnaple (01/16/13 04:24 PM)

#2015791 - 01/16/13 09:11 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's one that will get PJ really sick...
Talking to an engineer from Saudi Arabia.
Said he had three wives.
Asked: When was the first?
Engineer: Oh...right after college...about 22 23?
How old was she?
Engineer: Oh...16
The second?
Enginner: Oh...I was..lets see...35
How old was she?
Enginner: 16
How about the third?
Engineer: I was 48
How old was she?
Engineer: (very nonchalantly).... 16
smile

#2015978 - 01/17/13 07:52 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Back on track, here's a really nice retrospective of some of Rogers & Hammerstein's finest - a trip down memory lane - a taste of the best Broadway had to offer for decades (the music that won me over to musicals):

The great thing here is that there are a number of other retrospectives one could make up of their work, each one featuring equally delightful and totally different songs!

#2015996 - 01/17/13 08:42 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here's some Sierra Boggess clips (she has played both Fantine & Christine) for your viewing/listening pleasure:

From the very old musical "Show Boat", which goes way back to the 1920s - Jerome Kern composed the beautiful music for Hammerstein's lyrics, this being before he teamed up with Rogers):

From "The Sound of Music" (I think this song didn't appear in the Broadway production, but was written for the movie):

And from "Carousel" (the song I always thought was their most gorgeous...until I heard "Some Enchanted Evening"):

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/17/13 09:38 AM)

#2016321 - 01/17/13 08:14 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Trapper....you trying to get views on this thread? That white dress is just a little too sheer. I also keep expecting on her first video to see her braces.

I personally want hard core love. The kind of love that loves in the face of destruction. The kind of love that is greater than death.

Now back to those big, huge, sad, brown eyes... nobody call 911.. I wanna die like this.

#2016531 - 01/18/13 05:41 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I personally want hard core love. The kind of love that loves in the face of destruction. The kind of love that is greater than death.

Good luck with that.

Would you settle for a death that is more needless and tragic than most?

#2016550 - 01/18/13 07:33 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

Good luck with that.

Thank You. Why do you think I'm going through all the trouble to drive to Denver to see Les Miserables? If all I want is music. I can go to the local bar. LesMis is so famous because it condemns the worship of mammon. The worship of power. The practice of such, simply procreates more of the same. The opposite is Love. Which even effects a band of outlaws who steal riches from the altar of a Cathedral. Only to give those riches to a Bishop who spreads nothing but love.

Absolutely! What you see as needless and tragic. I see a tragedy, yes. But a man who has tasted of love. Realizes he has been a fool, in a society of fools, who only know how to destroy. They know nothing of love. Even though they claim to know God. They know only mammon. They know not the power of God. They know only the power of destruction. He has no out. To leave his job means execution. Condemning himself condemns the society he has believed in, and saves his soul.

All this and more, inspired a glorious musical play. To get at people's hearts through that which they love most; entertainment. How beautifully righteous!

Edited by rnaple (01/18/13 07:43 AM)

#2016627 - 01/18/13 10:28 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's some Sierra Boggess clips (she has played both Fantine & Christine) for your viewing/listening pleasure:

From the very old musical "Show Boat", which goes way back to the 1920s - Jerome Kern composed the beautiful music for Hammerstein's lyrics, this being before he teamed up with Rogers):

From "The Sound of Music" (I think this song didn't appear in the Broadway production, but was written for the movie):

And from "Carousel" (the song I always thought was their most gorgeous...until I heard "Some Enchanted Evening"):

I have never heard Sierra B sing, she does have a lovely voice.
However, I had to stop listening to "Something good" after about 6 seconds, because Julie Andrews OWNS this song.
I just can't even listen to anyone else sing it....

(dang, I didn't realize how picky I am about this stuff! Yikes and yowsa!)

Edited by piano joy (01/18/13 10:33 AM)

#2016634 - 01/18/13 10:33 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good luck with that.

(note my defiance to use multiple quotes in one post...)

Philip Quast does this character justice, in my opinion.
Perfect voice for this song, too. A +

Ron, I do so hope you love the live performance of Les Mis because NOW your expectations are very, very high!
Maybe you should listen to some REALLY BAD singing before you go....

Edited by piano joy (01/18/13 10:34 AM)

#2016785 - 01/18/13 03:30 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I have never heard Sierra B sing, she does have a lovely voice.
However, I had to stop listening to "Something good" after about 6 seconds, because Julie Andrews OWNS this song.
I just can't even listen to anyone else sing it....

"Something Good" is such a soft, sweet and serene song and it's so easy and heartwarming to listen to - you're right that Julie does own this song - always has, always will - and yet...and yet...Sierra does have a lovely voice and she handles it romantically and delightfully, and I think Julie herself would smile and applaud...

#2016813 - 01/18/13 04:50 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ron - I've been meaning to tell you for awhile that back when I suggested you attend "Les Mis" in Michigan after looking at the tour schedule I was straining to recall my grade school geography and had this vague picture of it being closer to you than Colorado - right after you told us you got tiks to a Colorado performance I checked a map and discovered to my surprise and dismay that my recollection of the physical relationship of the states to one another had become grossly distorted over the years laugh Funny how that happens...at least to some of us...

Also, I wanted to tell you that I've been watching the 25th Anniversary Concert on YT lately and have gradually come to the conclusion that Samantha Barks is better than I originally thought - much more so in this than in the movie - there's magic in the live performance!).

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/18/13 04:52 PM)

#2016871 - 01/18/13 07:21 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

...Ron, I do so hope you love the live performance of Les Mis because NOW your expectations are very, very high!....

I am thoroughly enjoying the book. I remember reading that when they came out with this play. They were scorned, hated, slandered by all the critics and tabloids. The same happened with the original play in France. They said there was no way a musical could do Les Mis justice. But the audiences disagreed, 100 percent.
I live, listening to people's hearts. All they have to do in the play is put all their heart in it. This is what attracted me to the music from the play in the first place. My first video was Lea singing I Dreamed a Dream.
This is also why I wasn't as harsh as some on the movie.

...Maybe you should listen to some REALLY BAD singing before you go....

Got that covered. I got a recording of Trapper singing: Master of the House. smile smile smile Then, he goes from bad to worse singing her part of the duet. smile smile smile

Ron - I've been meaning to tell you for awhile ... in Michigan ...you got tiks to a Colorado performance I checked ...

Most people have to think about anything in SD being close to Denver. Their first impression is usually; "surely you jest". As you saw. I'm in the far south west corner of the state. That's close to Denver. If I were in (wannabe NY) Sioux Falls (little tiny wannabe NY). smile Then Michigan might work. It's about a 6 hour drive to Minneapolis, St. Paul. Da Hills are a very special place. Very unlike anything else in South Dakota.

...have gradually come to the conclusion that Samantha Barks is better than I originally thought ...

I have found I really like many who have done parts in Les Mis. All they have to do is put all their heart into it. Samantha does this. She is one of the few from the play in the movie. Saw an interview of her's on the movie. She did a very good job of being diplomatic, courteous, and kind toward all the movie was.
I understand about live. I think it has to do with a person repeatedly perfecting a personal masterpiece. Also I just gotta say it... I think Samantha is adorable.

Edited by rnaple (01/19/13 05:57 AM)

#2017124 - 01/19/13 08:22 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

...Maybe you should listen to some REALLY BAD singing before you go....

Got that covered. I got a recording of Trapper singing: Master of the House. smile smile smile Then, he goes from bad to worse singing her part of the duet. smile smile smile

Well, "Master of the House" indeed - I can be pretty sleazy and "tell a saucy tale" and "peek into the "occupied bridal suite" too like him - but listening to that should set you up nicely to appreciate the "slightly better" or "more polished" performances you'll see in the show - hey, but I'm at least as good a singer as Russel Crowe, which should give you a big clue about just how really bad I am... smile

#2017131 - 01/19/13 08:41 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Last night on the local PBS station in our area they broadcast the special 25th Anniversary Performance of "Phantom of the Opera" from the Royal Albert Hall in London from 9pm to near midnight - I stayed up to watch it, although it was way past my usual bedtime of 10 pm or so - it was well worth it!

Excellent production and outstanding performances - Sierra played Christine and Ramin Karimloo played the Phantom - both were superb - here's a clip:

And you must see this - after the show some former "Phantoms" serenade the audience (and Andrew Lloyd Webber) - one of the Phantoms is Colm!!! Sara Brightman and Michael Crawford were also there, although strangely Michael didn't sing?!?

And here's Sierra talking about the show:

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/19/13 09:43 AM)

#2017501 - 01/19/13 08:05 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Darn it! NBC Universal went and blocked my 25th anniversary encore finale of Les Mis on YT! I liked that! Looks like I'm gonna have to buy it early. Not even sure I can find the right one. Some I see on amazon have german writing and such. Gonna have to be careful. Gee.... I've been planning on buying the 10th and 25th. Wanted to wait to get a Mac first. I already got: The Complete Symphonic Recording on hard copy. You don't suppose NBC Universal would change their mind until I get my new Mac, do you?

Gee Trapper... Is interesting watching Sierra interviewed. She is actually a very real gal. Doesn't at all seem full of herself. Even though a person would prejudge that with her looks. I'm liking her more and more.
Glad you got to see the 25th Anniversary Phantom. Should have been great. That play is another one I want to see.
Oh yes Trapper.... You definitely have a much better high falsetto cow moo than Russel. Definitely adds humor to her part of the song.

#2017511 - 01/19/13 08:19 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't know...doesn't sound right to me if M.Crawford is not singing THE part....just not right, I don't care how good the other voices sound!

The only thing R.Crowe had going for him was his looks- are his looks, I mean.
I do think he's a great actor (what was that movie about the schizophrenic mathematician...??) but should reserve singing for the shower- like the rest of us!

wish I had caught that 25th anniv special, darn!

#2017535 - 01/19/13 09:24 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: piano joy]
rnaple Offline

I don't know...doesn't sound right to me if M.Crawford is not singing THE part....just not right, I don't care how good the other voices sound...

I am in the camp that thinks the Phantom needs to have a stronger bottom end. M. Crawford and the rest just aren't as good as I think the Phantom could be. I'll need to demonstrate one day. smile

BTW: I went ahead and bought the 25th Les Mis concert. I got the electronic version on amazon. I didn't need to wait for my new Mac. They keep it there. I just log on and play it. Didn't cost alot either. Noticed they brought in the original cast at the end. Did a couple songs. That was nice. Colm and everybody. Also...have to admit...even on my computer it is a whole lot better quality than YT.

Also the schitzophrenic mathmatician and Russel. That movie was "A Beautiful Mind". About John Forbes Nash Jr. A Nobel Prize winner. When my father saw this. He said that reminded him of me. I'm always viewing things from a different point of view than everyone else. Yes that's true. But I have used my mind to find greater answers. I know where Mr. Nash's sickness came from and it won't happen to me. I also know the flaw in his Nobel prize winning theory. This thinking is where I get ideas for original songs.

Edited by rnaple (01/19/13 09:32 PM)

#2017589 - 01/19/13 11:24 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

I keep getting these messages on my computer that say: "Three people have unfriended you."

Now who the heck told them to friend me in the first place?

#2017910 - 01/20/13 03:52 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Gee Trapper...
Glad you got to see the 25th Anniversary Phantom. Should have been great. That play is another one I want to see...

Me too - it was - you should must!

I think you could relate to or identify with the Phantom rather closely and smartly - talk about a love greater than death - with him I'm not sure if it's love or a psychotic obsession (although there is sometimes a very fine line of distinction between the two laugh )...

Speaking of that, one of the non-musical scenes in the movie version of "Phantom" that I liked best, and which I thought was a stroke of artistic genius, was near the end when it was about 50 years after the events depicted in most of the movie and the old Count was being pushed by a nurse in a wheelchair in the quiet cemetery where his late wife Christine was buried - he pauses in deep thought for awhile and then places the "musical monkey" that had once belonged to the Phantom on her tombstone, and then as he is about to turn away and leave he notices out of the corner of his eye a single red rose lying on a corner of the stone...the implication being that it had just been recently placed there by the Phantom, who was still alive yet (he was assumed to be dead all these years) and still passionately in love with Christine...leaving a single red rose for her after each performance had been the practice of the Phantom whenever Christine had sung at the opera so many years before...what a warm and tender and inspired scene... Here it is:

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/20/13 07:23 PM)

#2018036 - 01/20/13 08:39 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

...places the "musical monkey" that had once belonged to the Phantom on her tombstone, and then as he is about to turn away and leave he notices out of the corner of his eye a single red rose lying on a corner of the stone...the implication being that it had just been recently placed there by the Phantom, ...

I think I mentioned it to you before.
Notice what the Count brought to the tombstone? A very dear, personal possession of the Phantom's.
All the count was able to give Christine was shallow. The Phantom gave her deep down riches. He taught her how to sing. The Phantom also showed them both deep down love that the Count was just now beginning to comprehend. That love it took to let the Count go and tell them to "get out".

I'm learning one thing by reading the Les Mis book. If you want to tell society off. Write a book. Hugo didn't leave anyone out. Told them all off. All of them who's hearts are in the shallow meaningless things of this world.

Edited by rnaple (01/20/13 08:50 PM)

#2018313 - 01/21/13 11:01 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

All the count was able to give Christine was shallow. The Phantom gave her deep down riches. He taught her how to sing.

So the story goes...and she thought he was the "angel of music" her deceased father had promised to send to her from heaven - but she was young and naive and innocent and the Phantom relentlessly stalked her and spied on her and tried to control her body and mind and spirit, i.e., possess her in full, gruesome totality - this is, in the final analysis, nothing more than, nor other than, obsessive psychosis - not to mention pathetically criminal - he deserved a fate far worse than he got, like maybe hanging from the famous chandelier - wow, what a spectacular ending that would have been (worthy of it's own special song)!

Edited by TrapperJohn (01/21/13 06:39 PM)

#2018775 - 01/22/13 03:32 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
rnaple Offline

...this is, in the final analysis, nothing more than, nor other than, obsessive psychosis - ...

In the final analysis. Obsessive psychosis does not release them from his complete control and tell them to get out.

#2020978 - 01/25/13 08:24 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

From the wonderfully delightful "Fiddler on the Roof" one of Broadway's most beautiful tunes:

And not your average "line dancing" at the reception:

#2021044 - 01/25/13 10:39 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: TrapperJohn]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

re: above

Heavy sigh....so, so lovely...
Who even writes lyrics like that anymore?
Sunrise, Sunset is so well suited for the piano ,too.

Ok, I'll bite ( wink )
This violin solo below is sheer beauty. I've heard it say the piano sings and the violin cries. This makes me *almost* wish I played violin instead of the piano (well, it WOULD be much easier to lug around!)

#2022019 - 01/27/13 07:11 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I can understand your strong attraction for the violin pj - especially played like that!

I just ordered the following from sheetmusicplus.com - not sure why I haven't been playing from it for a long time now, but I will make up for lost time...

Les Mis songbook

#2026434 - 02/03/13 05:38 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

Been busy reading a book. smile
Thought you all might enjoy this parody. Anne is the odds on favorite at the Oscars.

I wish they'd do a show with all the commercials from the superbowl. I can't tolerate football just to see those highly creative commercials.

I keep getting these messages that my arrest record is online... just click here to see it.
How did I get an arrest record? Doh! crazy

#2027145 - 02/04/13 09:42 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ron - even a good parody of a really bad performance would be painful to watch - this is not necessarily a good parody...so, somehow there's a double sin here...

What is it exactly that possesses some stars in their warped, twisted, exaggerated image of themselves as entertainers that they insist on singing a song that they must know has been done so much better by others, and that in so doing they are simply making themselves out as fools by looking so incredibly bad by comparison? Why on earth would they do this?

#2029664 - 02/09/13 05:53 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

With great humility. I must ask you, Trapper. Are you expecting a stage performance on film? If so, we have two great stage performances on film already.

I am interested if they required any of these actors to read the book before acting.

I myself, view Les Mis as a blues story. You cannot have the blues without hope. Hope in the face of destruction. I think they failed in the movie to keep this. In the songs in the play, it is obviously beautiful. The worst example I see of this is how they had Samantha change; On My Own.

I can see all through the movie how they dropped the ball with hope, faith, love. They died in destruction.

This also shows in awards. The director has no nominations.

What makes this story great is faith, hope, and especially love, in the face of death and destruction. A love that is greater than death itself. They failed in the movie, to appropriately express this basic concept that the book beautifully illustrates. A concept that the play is drenched in.

#2032934 - 02/14/13 10:19 AM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just came across this on YT:

#2038709 - 02/24/13 10:17 PM Re: Rather OT....but been discussed before here... [Re: rnaple]
rnaple Offline

I just saw them doing "One Day More" at the Oscars.
Sad...really sad. This is pushing Samantha Barks graciousness to extremes. She had to hold back. Otherwise walk all over the rest of their singing.
And they actually gave a standing ovation?
Sad...really sad.

EDIT: I just have to add. Samantha had to hold back so much. She couldn't even take one good deep breath of air. That's how badly she had to hold back. Sad....really sad. When you see her in the 25th. Her and everyone else is breathing like they're running a marathon. Ohhhh....I'm looking forward to this play.

BTW: Two ladies won Oscars for the makeup and I think costumes in this. Has anyone asked them if they were the ones giving Ann that haircut in the film? Just think of it...An Oscar for a bad haircut. smile

Edited by rnaple (02/25/13 09:19 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
55 registered (beeboss, aesop, bennevis, bhmpower, Bierce, 14 invisible), 902 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157662 Topics
2315759 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission