2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
frog97 Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone familiar with a letter dated 4/24/2001 from Dr. Shank to Brookside Press about Boston and Kawai Pianos?
Any follow up on this in the past?
Maybe the Kawai people know about this and can follow up?
I received the letter when visiting a store in Tucson over the weekend, when we were on vacation.
Regards & Merry Christmas
Brian

Last edited by frog97; 12/25/12 02:33 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
What did the letter say? Your post is too vague to be answered.

Clef

frog97 Offline OP
OP Offline
Clef, I was hoping someone who had seen it would commit on it, I did not really want to commit on what is said, I wanted to be vague, hoping someone would know what I was asking.
Anyway the letter talked about Larry Fine and how Rice would no longer use the piano book for their technology degree program, and fine's preference for kawais over boston, Shank says they have very few issues with boston but lots of issues with kawais i.e. string breakage lid and key frame warpage and chronic loosening of action parts. He states other schools in the area Houston, have had similar problems with Kawai. But the letter goes on and at the end he says the shepherd school no he officially endorse any one brand of piano.
Says the piano book i not an objective professional guide.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I cannot imagine why any letter dated April 24, 2001, should have much currency now.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
I'll bet there's an interesting context we're unlikely ever to learn.

Meanwhile, the world has moved on quite a bit since the date of that alleged letter.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 12/25/12 11:54 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
frog97 Offline OP
OP Offline
I did not write the letter, I was just wanting to know from someone what was behind it, I may send an email to Dr. Shank and ask him about it.
I found his link.
http://music.rice.edu/facultybios/shank.shtml
If anyone wants a copy pm me with a fax or address and I will send it.
Kind Regards,
Brian

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Who is this Dr. Shank and what gives his opinion any weight?

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The Rice.edu facultybios clearly explains it in the last paragraph. "Since his training in the concert departments of Steinway Halls in New York & London, he has developed courses in piano technology at the Shepherd School."

Makes ya wonder if Dr. Shank (funny name for a piano tech.) gave any thought to the implications of his statements.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Dave B
The Rice.edu facultybios clearly explains it in the last paragraph. "Since his training in the concert departments of Steinway Halls in New York & London, he has developed courses in piano technology at the Shepherd School."

This certainly puts this opinion in perspective. Frankly, I have heard many professional opinions to the contrary as well.

Bottom line - as long as you are comparing apples with apples- neither piano will likely result in any serious problems. I say ignore the letter and give it no credence. Buy what you love and enjoy it.

Good Luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
S
I spoke to Larry and he doesn't remember corresponding with Dr. Shank, although the name rung a bell. Being over 10 years ago, any opinions would be moot.

Also, a retailer using a 10 year old letter to sway a shopper sounds fishy to me.

Who was the dealer?

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
And I struck at the bait, chump that I am. Now... I know about as much as I did to begin with.

Clef

frog97 Offline OP
OP Offline
I visited a Steinway dealer in tucson when on vacation, that is how I got the letter. Now it all makes since to me...rice a Steinway School.
But, I think that Rice and Steinway are still a good University and a very fine piano as well as the boston brands, which I like very much, but, I will discount the letter. I think it may just be an attack to create fear in buying something other than Boston or Steinway. I am still leaning towards the Kawai.
Thanks to all for sharing.
Kind Regards

F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by frog97
I visited a Steinway dealer in tucson when on vacation, that is how I got the letter. Now it all makes since to me...rice a Steinway School.
But, I think that Rice and Steinway are still a good University and a very fine piano as well as the boston brands, which I like very much, but, I will discount the letter. I think it may just be an attack to create fear in buying something other than Boston or Steinway. I am still leaning towards the Kawai.
Thanks to all for sharing.
Kind Regards

Gee, ya think??

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Who actually makes Boston pianos, anyway?

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
It's a meaningless suck up and face-saving letter. This type of nonsense goes on all the time in both commerce and academia. Hard to believe this letter is still floating around after more than a decade. Maybe Prof. Shank gets royalties per paragraph. Maybe he couldn't find a stamp and never sent it.

You could scan the letter and post it for us all to have a chuckle over.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Exactly! The irony of all this is that Steinway chose Kawai to make Boston pianos. The author of this outdated letter obviously had some kind of agenda. It is like a Steinway "artist" discrediting all non Steinway brands. It's unbalanced and biased.

Kind regards,

Robert.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
In fairness, perhaps Mr. Shank has also forgotten about his goofy letter. It may be only one dim piano salesperson in Tucson, Arizona who treasures it.

S
S
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Who actually makes Boston pianos, anyway?

Boston pianos are made by Kawai.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Shank says they have very few issues with boston but lots of issues with kawais i.e. string breakage lid and key frame warpage and chronic loosening of action parts..."

Sorry, frog97, but the quote is crap. Kawai is famous, not only for their quality product, but for their customer service in addressing any difficulties that may occur.

My last piano teacher did his best to break a string on my Kawai RX-5, with his very powerful concert-hall technique--- but with no luck. The worst that happened was that my ears rang for a week, and the piano needed a pitch raise. Who knows, maybe it was even good for it. My tech has reported none of the issues 'Dr. Shank' raised.

Is not 'shank' a term used in prisons, for a homemade knife used to murder other inmates?

Clef

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"...Shank says they have very few issues with boston but lots of issues with kawais i.e. string breakage lid and key frame warpage and chronic loosening of action parts..."

Sorry, frog97, but the quote is crap. Kawai is famous, not only for their quality product, but for their customer service in addressing any difficulties that may occur.

My last piano teacher did his best to break a string on my Kawai RX-5, with his very powerful concert-hall technique--- but with no luck. The worst that happened was that my ears rang for a week, and the piano needed a pitch raise. Who knows, maybe it was even good for it. My tech has reported none of the issues 'Dr. Shank' raised.

I'm glad Jeff addressed the string breakage issue. I've seen a Kawai keyframe, it's made of extruded aluminum, hardly prone to warpage (the Boston keyframe is IIRC made of wood and thus potentially more prone to warpage). Also the carbon infused ABS I was told was impervious to changes in humidity which is typically what would cause action parts to loosen. Again the wooden action of the Boston would be more prone in that regard. It's not my intent to besmirch the Boston. Those that I've played have not exhibited any issues with the action, they in fact played quite nicely. I'm simply pointing out that Kawai's technology would indicate that most customers should have a very different experience than what the letter suggests. In other words the writer had an agenda and my guess is that the statements were not based on fact. Be that as it may, they're now 11 years old.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission