2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1999562 12/14/12 09:15 PM
M
mick297 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Both Yamaha p35 and p105 were set up side by side. To my surprise, I found the p35 action much better, I.e. slightly heavier and more "authoritative". The p105 felt liked my p95 I.e. mushier and lighter. Can anyone confirm? I wood trade.in my p95 but wood miss the jazz organ preset missing on the p35. Spent an hour in the store trying to discredit my findings re action. Help!

M
M
I haven't tried the P35, just the P105, but they both supposedly have the same GHS action, so it would be interesting if they feel any different. Still, it's possible. I've played supposedly identical instruments, same model, and to me they've felt different.

It could also be a perception thing. The best way to compare actions is to do it without sound, because the interaction of keys and sound can throw us off. Also, it helps if playing circumstances are equal- keyboards at same height, level, etc. An action will feel different if the keyboard is up, slanted on a music store wall.

Solo Piano CD of original pieces, entitled 'Journeys'. You can listen to samples on Spotify and YouTube.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I tried them side by side and did not notice any difference with the actions.

As has been noted by others on here, what you report often seems to happen between the same model of a brand. It's difficult to say why, but these are mostly mass produced units so some variation is to be expected.

The P105 piano sounds are much more expressive than the P35. So only get the P35 if you are willing to use it as a controller. IMHO

S
S
The p105 is SO much better. 128 poly vs 32 and 3 layers instead of 1

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
T
T
Originally Posted by Michael H
The best way to compare actions is to do it without sound, because the interaction of keys and sound can throw us off. Also, it helps if playing circumstances are equal- keyboards at same height, level, etc. An action will feel different if the keyboard is up, slanted on a music store wall.
I kind of disagree with your first statement because it's important how the keyboard action interacts with the sound it produces. There are some subtle nuances in sound which can be achieved through playing technique called touche. You would never know if you could play the keyboard action like that had you switched off the sound. Of course, we are talking very inexpensive instruments which are designed for beginners who are not supposed to play as exqusitely as the more experienced players. So, playing it without sound is a good way to compare the supposedly identical actions of p35 and p105.

On the other hand, I agree with you about the rest. The best way to compare pianos are when they are put on a flat surface. Even the store manager told me so yesterday

T
T
I noticed the same thing the other day at GC, mick297. Pissed me off to no end because the more expensive keyboard with the better features should have the heavier keys. Now I'm not sure WHAT to get!!

M
mick297 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It's good to know that you have confirmed my findings. The p35 felt much better to me than the p105 (more authority, heavier, "classier" if thats a word. I wonder if its only the early production run of p35s that feel this good. The p95 demo model I played some months ago had that great p35 feel. Sadly the p95 I own is mush I even contacted Yamaha with serial numbers, etc. Yamaha says they all the same.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I have mixed feelings about it but will relate my findings here:

I had the P95 for 1 1/2 years before getting the PX130. What I liked better about the PX130 was that the speakers were clearer, the rhodes was better and i thought the piano sound while not as realistic perhaps; had more tonal changes.

I then sold the P95 (probably a mid life crisis lol) as I was excited at getting the P105 for only a $250 difference.
However the first one i purchased had a broken key and I returned it for a second one.

I found that the second one was not assembled tightly on the right, and would make a "clicking noise". I thought it was how I hooked it up to the stand but it is clear it was the outside of the piano.

I am currently returning it for either a) an exchange or b) $500 credit.

I believe the P95 action was a little heavier than the P105- I do not doubt any of you for saying that and agree. The 95 was defintely "darker" sounding.

Yes, the P105 is not as dark sounding and has multiple layers and the Rhodes is better.

I'll probably just take the credit as I have 2 DP's and a third could be overkill.

Although I kept the stand and pedals, I probably should have just offerred them up with the P95. Would anyone here have a need for them? I am in NJ

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
M
M
Originally Posted by Possum P105
I have mixed feelings about it but will relate my findings here:

I had the P95 for 1 1/2 years before getting the PX130. What I liked better about the PX130 was that the speakers were clearer, the rhodes was better and i thought the piano sound while not as realistic perhaps; had more tonal changes.

I then sold the P95 (probably a mid life crisis lol) as I was excited at getting the P105 for only a $250 difference.
However the first one i purchased had a broken key and I returned it for a second one.

I found that the second one was not assembled tightly on the right, and would make a "clicking noise". I thought it was how I hooked it up to the stand but it is clear it was the outside of the piano.

I am currently returning it for either a) an exchange or b) $500 credit.

I believe the P95 action was a little heavier than the P105- I do not doubt any of you for saying that and agree. The 95 was defintely "darker" sounding.

Yes, the P105 is not as dark sounding and has multiple layers and the Rhodes is better.

I'll probably just take the credit as I have 2 DP's and a third could be overkill.

Although I kept the stand and pedals, I probably should have just offerred them up with the P95. Would anyone here have a need for them? I am in NJ

Sometimes it makes you wonder about quality control on these lower end keyboards. On the other side of that coin, we do get a lot for our money.

Solo Piano CD of original pieces, entitled 'Journeys'. You can listen to samples on Spotify and YouTube.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I think that while the features have gotten better; there is some sacrifice in assembly. I thought the Yamaha Motif 6 I owned was built very well.

My recommendation in the future (and I knew it at the time was).
Weigh the risk of getting something defective when upgrading.
Obviously, the next P105 could have been the right one for me, but I already personally preferred the PX130 over the 95; and I just don't want to deal with the hassle anymore.

I don't really regret taking a chance, because I was simply not going to use the 95 next to the px350.

Probably at the stage of my life/career where I should be looking at one of those $4,000 nice mini grand clavinovas- that thing was sweet and I would be working with a dealer

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
M
mick297 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Was on the phone with Yamaha, they insist that the p35 and p105 have the same keyboard action. Part numbers are the same, etc. If anyone out there can confirm, or dispute.my findings, I would find it very interesting. Thx.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I would say that even though the 95 and 105 were both GHS, they both were different variations of GHS. The 105 seemed to bounce back a little quicker (not as quick as a Privia but closer to a Privia than a P95)

If you like a darker sound perhaps you might like the 95 better. It was like an adjustment getting used to the 105 while I had it.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
Have you considered moving up to the P155? The reason I ask is that, it has the GH action which is definitely heavier than the GHS. It's an amazing action that a lot of people really love.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi, I am starting to consider moving in the future towards something like that- perhaps even looking at a Clavinova that comes assembled.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission