2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
At my place of employment where I've been for a couple of years now, I told my adult beginner piano story for the first time.

I'd say 2-3 others know passively about my piano playing, but today, I told this young engineer how I started, why I post youtube videos, and about this "forum" that I belong to where I occasionally participate in E-citals and discussions.

He was very amazed and impressed that I maintained "this hobby" and became proficient at it. It really put things in perspective for me, and reminded me why I play to begin with. smile ...a source of added motivation I guess.

How about you guys? Anyone else (besides family) know of your secret other life? lol

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Yes, just a few weeks ago I was talking about it with a young woman who comes to the pottery studio where I volunteer. The next time she came in, we were both working in the glaze room & she turned on Glenn Gould's Golberg Variations on her MP3 & "confessed" (it really had that tone to it - I guess liking classical music isn't something you admit to just anyone???) that it's her favourite album. & she was lamenting that she loves piano but is "too old" to start learning (she's 30, max). Then I told her about starting at 61, how it's been going, that I recently got a 2nd piano - a digital, so I can play early in the morning in my apartment. & by the time I left, I think she was reconsidering the possibility. Hope she goes for it!

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
If you tell people anywhere that you are playing an instrument or are attempting to play an insrument, they will usually ask if you are taking lessons and/or they will tell you they played in high school and/or college. Interestingly, I don't ever remember anyone telling me specifically they played piano to a certain level, although, I remember people telling me that. The other aspect, of course, is your age. Generally, people don't relate to you playing an instument/piano if you are older as much as they do when you are younger. I remember a boss who retired in the 1970s when I was just starting my first job and he was a WWII pilot flying bombers during the war in Britian and Europe. I heard he was playing the piano after his retirement. What I don't know, of course, is did he play before he went to war or did he start playing after retirement. I suspect he must have played the piano before he went to war.

The most interesting question for me is people who say they played piano and then quit - and then say - they wished they hadn't stopped playing.

I undersand that someone going to college could stop playing the piano to concentrate on their university education, but otherwise why people stopped is very interesting.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I talk to people about music all the time. Before piano keyboard, it was pennywhistle and Irish flute. I enjoy talking music, and songwriting.

In my weekly updates to the AOTW thread (achievement of the week), I have often mentioned a conversation with another musician, or songwriter, sometimes even strangers.

CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael_99
If you tell people anywhere that you are playing an instrument or are attempting to play an insrument, they will usually ask if you are taking lessons and/or they will tell you they played in high school and/or college. Interestingly, I don't ever remember anyone telling me specifically they played piano to a certain level, although, I remember people telling me that. The other aspect, of course, is your age. Generally, people don't relate to you playing an instument/piano if you are older as much as they do when you are younger. I remember a boss who retired in the 1970s when I was just starting my first job and he was a WWII pilot flying bombers during the war in Britian and Europe. I heard he was playing the piano after his retirement. What I don't know, of course, is did he play before he went to war or did he start playing after retirement. I suspect he must have played the piano before he went to war.

The most interesting question for me is people who say they played piano and then quit - and then say - they wished they hadn't stopped playing.

I undersand that someone going to college could stop playing the piano to concentrate on their university education, but otherwise why people stopped is very interesting.

Michael, yes, I've been asked all those things before. Another popular question is "can you read sheet music?" I guess it's a foreign concept to many. smile

I've heard this comment from a few people as well. Most people live lives of could've-should've and would'ves... Just do it!!! ...is what I say.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
I talk to people about music all the time. Before piano keyboard, it was pennywhistle and Irish flute. I enjoy talking music, and songwriting.

In my weekly updates to the AOTW thread (achievement of the week), I have often mentioned a conversation with another musician, or songwriter, sometimes even strangers.

Sand Tiger, that's good that you have some piano and music acquaintances in the real world. I think a lot of us (myself included of course) get our "piano talk" fix here on this forum.

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Well, when I used to play in a blues band in my 40s, as a beginner sax player, everybody in the band, 7 of us, all but me, played in school or college and so they all dreamed of going to New York and being famous and rich and I was excited just showing up every week for rehearsal at an old oonverted warehouse, rehearsal studio, smelled bad, looked bad - just as you would expect it to be.

Christmas dinner with old friends was great as usual. The subject of discussion was the movie les miserables, a local play, the colour of their walls where they live. Someone mentioned I had a piano and if I was taking lessions and that was it. There were no words that I could use so they could understand the joy I get from playing the piano.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P

Someone mentioned I had a piano and if I was taking lessions and that was it. There were no words that I could use so they could understand the joy I get from playing the piano.

Well put. Unless there is a kindred spirit, perhaps someone who pursued music earlier in life, the mention of music often falls flat. I don't know why. Except this may be true of many a hobby or passion, not just music.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
How about you guys? Anyone else (besides family) know of your secret other life? lol

ha "Secret other life". It's true!

At the beginning of my piano journey, I think I slipped in my new-found hobby into any conversation I could. Usually the conversation took another direction swiftly thereafter.

First, it's not usual that adults pick up an instrument later in life. Second, most don't know a thing about piano or any other instrument, so it's a conversation stopper, and as I learned, and an uninteresting hobby for those I opened up to briefly.

But I still toil and practice, because I love it and want to get better.

Within the past year, I've been caught playing by neighbors or parents swinging by to pick up their kids from play-dates. I get a nice complement and then the conversation moves elsewhere.

(as it should)

It's really not important to anyone else but me. smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Now that I think about it, golfers often talked about golf, which I know nothing about, but golfers, men or women, or even kids always seemed to talk openly about golfing and the context is that perhaps most people in the world don't always include as part of their life, things that give them pleasure, joy, and satisfaction.

In the way that golfers struggle through the course, musicians/piano players struggle slowly through the measures for weeks and months until we can play the piece and then there will be a long time of playing the piece polishing it off.

Additionally, I don't have tv and haven't had tv since I left home when I was 19, but people at work would always talk about television or television shows and I could tell they were talking about television because whatever they were saying, I didn't understand, and sure enough they would say yes, it is television.

T
T
I talk about it all the time to anyone who will listen. I think I probably often bore people, but I can't last for long without at least mentioning piano, as for some reason it's never far from my mind.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
The tone of obsession must be evident to others when I share that I have to get up at 4 or 5 am so that I can play the piano every day. Without fail they assume that this means that I'm really "good" at playing the piano. Although I assure them that I'm striving to be better than I was and no where near an advanced level, they are set in their belief that no one plays as an adult unless they are gifted. Stumbling on someone with an interest in music is golden. The new director of the honors program met with me to talk about the program and when I discovered that he is a pianist, that's all we talked about. Pretty sure he still wanted to talk about the honors program. My other interest is showing my German Shepherds and that too only finds a rare sharing of the interest. But I can talk football and baseball too so I do have work conversations about something other than our work.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I have only told a couple of people at work that I am learning piano etc. I am rather a private person and do not like to mix business with pleasure. To me, work is work where I go to earn a living, and I have my social life and friends outside of work. Even when I asked for a day off work to sit my recent exam, I did not tell them why I needed the day off. What I do in my spare time is not really something I want my office to know about. I have told people I know outside of work but I generally find that if they are not interested in music or have never played an instrument, they will nod politely but thats as far as their interest goes. I now only speak to those who are fellow musicians or concert goers who appreciate music like I do. The rest of the people I have told are only being polite when I tell them I am learning the piano or have passed my exam. One non musical friend of mine said to me... Oh you can become a music teacher then. confused

She doesn't know the first thing about music or what it entails to become good enough to teach the subject.

Some of my non musical friends are genuinely pleased that I have this hobby and are encouraging,but its the ones who have studied an instrument however long ago who really understand and know what it all means. One of my work colleagues took piano and trumpet as a teenager and got up to Grade 6 in each instrument. He only stopped when he left school because at school, the school funded his lessons and exams. Now he would have to pay for them himself and he does not want to pay out the money. He earns more money than me and yet I am the one paying out for lessons because I am passionate about it. Perhaps he feels he has done enough music study. He did however say he still plays both instruments, so he doesn't let his skills lapse.

Last edited by adultpianist; 12/27/12 10:45 AM.
A
A
I let anyone know; I guess whether they want to or not!

My parents sat through Christmas Eve last year with me playing songs from the first Alfred's adult Christmas book, with all of two months of experience. Mom used to sing in a choir, so she's interested in music, but there was no way she could sing along without throwing me off, or the song was transposed to make it both easy to play and impossible to sing along.

Whenever I finish a song (a proper song, not from Alfred's), I record it and post to Youtube and Facebook. Judging from the views, not too many people actually care, but that won't stop me smile

A few co-workers actually have some interest in music and sometimes I talk with them about it. One studied at the conservatory for a year or so before switching to another subject. He doesn't play anymore but lent me a book with Bach inventions that I can't play yet. Another colleague has a grand piano at home and just last week recorded a song to show me what he can play. He plays some casual jazz with a band, sometimes has a gig, and is generally much more experienced than me, though he can't read sheet music.

My best friend doesn't play, but he shows some interest in my playing. Can't really talk about it much, but he doesn't mind listening to a song or two. We sometimes go to concerts together, ranging from Muse last week to Ludovico Einaudi next year!

Finally, my sister is very enthousiastic about it all. She doesn't play much, but wants to start violin lessons after finishing her studies. We played a few songs together for Christmas this year. So much fun! She's also crazy about Final Fantasy and won't have me stop playing To Zanarkand laugh

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
ok. I have tried talking about it to my mother who has an interest in classical music but she does not know any theory. She does not show much of an interest in what I do. Has never asked what pieces I am playing or ever asked what I have to do in an exam. She told me it is a good idea to take as many exam as possible. She does not understand that you can learn wthout sitting an exam. So that is why I am glad I have found this site so we can all bounce ideas off each other. I belong to a church where we have a choir. One of the members of the choir works as a music examiner. She examins people who take masters degrees and I have told her that I am learning piano. She has never willingly wanted to discuss music with me. I guess because she does it for a job she feels she wants to get away from the student/teacher chat in her free time. There are teachers on here who give advice but thats because they joined this site for that reason. Everyone is different.

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C

. . . There were no words that I could use so they could understand the joy I get from playing the piano.

There's the reason that musicians tend to hang out together.

My singing teacher has many older-adult students -- it seems to be a niche for her. She also runs a choir, and I just sang with them for the first time.

. . . What a joy!

It's too bad there are no "mass piano bands" where ten or twenty pianists can play together. That would be impractical with acoustic pianos, but it's realistic for digi-pianos. Maybe we'll need a new repertoire . . .

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
F
F
One of my favourite stories is how I came about to own a grand piano, and the gentle "trickery" my teacher used to ensure that I bought the piano I loved, and not something that I thought I should buy because he loved it. Turns out we both loved the same piano, but that's part of the story.

I don't tell it unless asked of course (not very frequent) and then I always know that I have a piano addict on my hands - quite fun!

I'm in an active choir, too - I find that most folks are (if interested at all) more interested in hearing about singing than playing the piano. I think it's just because most people I'm around in my working life don't play, and feel they don't know how to participate in a conversation. Or, as someone else has said, there's the standard "I used to play and I wish I did now" response. And, also as some else has said, common conversations revolve around sports and television shows. Since I don't follow sports, I've been guilty of memorizing the names of the teams and the winning scores of the truly big games the morning after so that I can understand the conversations a little bit. The television shows I admit defeat.

I've been learning Facebook protocols - does anyone here use it just to communicate your musical goings on?

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
The tone of obsession must be evident to others when I share that I have to get up at 4 or 5 am so that I can play the piano every day. Without fail they assume that this means that I'm really "good" at playing the piano. Although I assure them that I'm striving to be better than I was and no where near an advanced level, they are set in their belief that no one plays as an adult unless they are gifted.

I also find that people have a hard time understanding that I practice everyday a lot and I am still not really good at it. They just don't get it that learning to play is not something you just do in a certain time frame, but is a never ending journey and to get even the basics requires a lot of time. The fact that I completely stopped for 30 years because I had no access to piano and thought I didn't have what it takes to be good at it anyway, just makes me more determined now that I am older and wiser.

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
My other interest is showing my German Shepherds and that too only finds a rare sharing of the interest.

Funny, my other passion has been breeding and showing pedigree cats and that's also something that normal people would never understand.

I do know some people who play "a little" but they don't seem to have the same level of passion on it. Maybe missing out all those potential years of learning just makes it more intensive for me...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I talk about it to anyone who will listen. One day when I mentioned that I was taking piano lessons at work. The nurse at work told me that she was a cellist and asked if I wanted to play together. She then introduced me to one of her friends who plays both the violin and piano and the 3 of us now get together every few weeks to play together. It's been quite a challenge but also a lot of fun. The cellist who is a nurse now actually has a degree in cello so she is more advanced than I am. It is really nice to have 2 friends who are interested in music as we also go to concerts together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
T
T
I haven't yet managed to find anyone in real life who wants to discuss it with me. There is a woman at work who plays to a very high standard, but she never wants to talk about it, I guess because she's played so long it's not interesting to discuss it with a beginner. There are also a couple of people I know who are self taught or had lessons when they were younger, but they always look at me like I'm mad too if I try to have a conversation about it. I used to think I was nuts until I found you lot on here. I'm having a warm, fuzzy moment - I love you guys xxx

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission