Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, Alexander Borro, 38 invisible), 1793 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2004793 - 12/27/12 04:40 AM Even stupider question
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
These 10 levels (of which everyone speaks so knowledgeably), are they standard across the board? (By which, I mean the US)

I have in front of me Jane Magrath's Standard guide, copies of Keith Snell piano repertoire, and The Achievement Program (Carnegie Hall Royal Conservatory) piano syllabus. They all have 10 levels.

We have 8 grades here, not 10 levels, and I've been trying to work out how they compare.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2004873 - 12/27/12 10:18 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
It's pretty arbitrary, and there's no standardization when it comes to determining what makes a level/grade 5 for example. So you really have to compare the repertoire to be sure you're comparing apples to apples.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2004892 - 12/27/12 11:03 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
The US is a free-for-all when it comes to private music instruction, which fits with the American psyche of individualism. But various state (vs national) organizations of music teachers over the years put together graded syllabuses as teaching suggestions.

A studio teacher may give some credence to these suggestions, or not. As Morodienne says, the whole thing is arbitrary, but can be helpful guidance.

Here in English Canada the British-flavored Royal Conservatory system has divided repertoire into 11 compartments of difficulty, Grades 1 through 10, plus a graduation level (which for some reason is not called 11).

For many years the Royal Conservatory has been trying to establish beachheads in the US, since the US is such a big market and much of this graded system is about making money (i.e., through selling books and exams). This campaign hasn't been too successful, but with enough advertising and promotion anything is possible.

#2004896 - 12/27/12 11:10 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thumbs, this might be easier for you: simply find a calculator, and multiply every piece in your graded system by one point two five. Et voila! Suddenly you could pass for a Yankee.

#2004900 - 12/27/12 11:17 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

1.25, not quite sure I've got you.

So far I've been working under the hypothesis that level 3 more or less equates to grade 1, etc, and that seems to work for the lower grades.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2004907 - 12/27/12 11:31 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Check your calculator. Or multiply by three instead. :-)

#2004923 - 12/27/12 12:21 PM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
1.25, not quite sure I've got you.

You don't like math, eh?

All the posts so far are spot on. I know for certain RCM is trying to take root in California, but it's hard to persuade piano teachers who, as a species, defy evolution.

#2004933 - 12/27/12 12:40 PM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
The Magrath level 10 is lower than the RCM level 10, although I've never stopped to work out just what RCM level Magrath's book reaches.

The Henle website also has a 10-level ranking of pieces.

#2004935 - 12/27/12 12:44 PM Re: Even stupider question [Re: PianoStudent88]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
The Magrath level 10 is lower than the RCM level 10, although I've never stopped to work out just what RCM level Magrath's book reaches.

Jane Magrath's expectations are more realistic. That being said, RCM levels are generally pretty realistic as well.

#2004949 - 12/27/12 01:11 PM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Actually Keith Snell Repertoire has 11 levels:
Preparatory
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
Level 4
Level 5
Level 6
Level 7
Level 8
Level 9
Level 10
So, it is 11 levels.
Same as CM in California by MTAC, we have 11 levels too, not 10.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2004952 - 12/27/12 01:27 PM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ezpiano.org]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ezpiano.org
Same as CM in California by MTAC, we have 11 levels too, not 10.

Well, if you want to get that specific, then you're forgetting Panel, Panel Master Class, and Young Artist Guild. Some folks think CM has 14 "levels."

#2005212 - 12/27/12 10:13 PM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"...Re: Even stupider question..."

"The only stupid question is the one that is not asked." Socrates, as I remember (or Plato, quoting him); I paraphrase freely.

Actually, it seems to me that the dialectic went something more like: "When a wise man doesn't understand something, he says, 'I don't understand.' When a fool doesn't understand something, he says... nothing."

Anyway, ten left, now you're informed; we all are.

#2005228 - 12/27/12 10:33 PM Re: Even stupider question [Re: Peter K. Mose]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
...For many years the Royal Conservatory has been trying to establish beachheads in the US, since the US is such a big market and much of this graded system is about making money (i.e., through selling books and exams). This campaign hasn't been too successful, but with enough advertising and promotion anything is possible.

Peter, do you know of any registry of U.S. piano teachers who use the Royal Conservatory system?

If there aren't any in my area, might it make sense to broach with a non-RCM teacher the concept of attempting to pursue the RCM curriculum? In other words, can a student and teacher do this on a DIY basis, or is there a need to have been raised in, and be plugged into, the formal network?

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2005274 - 12/28/12 01:10 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sure, anyone can jump into the RCM exams on a do-it-yourself basis, with or without a teacher's help. Kids would not do so without a teacher cracking the whip, but sometimes adults do it on their own.

I'm sure there are lists of teachers who espouse the RCM religion in Nebraska, Hawaii, and northern Virginia. But the religion is just one of standardized testing, not one requiring trained clergy. The whole concept is very British and very old-fashioned.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (12/28/12 01:28 AM)

#2005372 - 12/28/12 08:50 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: Jeff Clef]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
"...Re: Even stupider question..."

"The only stupid question is the one that is not asked." Socrates, as I remember (or Plato, quoting him); I paraphrase freely.

Actually, it seems to me that the dialectic went something more like: "When a wise man doesn't understand something, he says, 'I don't understand.' When a fool doesn't understand something, he says... nothing."

Anyway, ten left, now you're informed; we all are.

I have a friend who sometimes says "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask questions" but that clearly does not apply here! smile

#2005382 - 12/28/12 09:16 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ClsscLib]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
...For many years the Royal Conservatory has been trying to establish beachheads in the US, since the US is such a big market and much of this graded system is about making money (i.e., through selling books and exams). This campaign hasn't been too successful, but with enough advertising and promotion anything is possible.

Peter, do you know of any registry of U.S. piano teachers who use the Royal Conservatory system?

If there aren't any in my area, might it make sense to broach with a non-RCM teacher the concept of attempting to pursue the RCM curriculum? In other words, can a student and teacher do this on a DIY basis, or is there a need to have been raised in, and be plugged into, the formal network?

I do the RCM to a certain extent, even though I don't have students participate in anything to pass a level. I just use the books and there's a Teacher's Handbook which is very helpful for the order in which you should teach (although I sometimes go outside of this) and for ideas on how to address certain issues the student might have with a piece.

I love the quality of these editions, and that's my biggest draw to them - along with a great selection of music I may have never worked with before. The one drawback is that they release new editions of the books every 7 years I think, and that means it's tough to get hold of the old editions after a while. This forces me to buy new books and the handbook.

#2005433 - 12/28/12 10:43 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The RCM in the US is called TAP: The Achievement Program.

#2005463 - 12/28/12 11:24 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: Morodiene]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
The one drawback is that they release new editions of the books every 7 years I think, and that means it's tough to get hold of the old editions after a while. This forces me to buy new books and the handbook.

Don't ever think the modern RCM is not above all a business. Canada is too small a market for its products.

#2005979 - 12/29/12 11:19 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Peter, really I have no idea what you mean about 1.25 or 3. Could you explain again please?

So far I have learned that:

RCM is Canadian, and the US equivalent is The Achivement Program.

MTAC does CM and that's California.

Macgrath grades a little easier than RCM.

I'm not sure I can accept there is *no* correlation between these. Often a teacher here will post 'I have a student at level two and...' and other teachers at least give the impression of knowing what that means.

Well, then what does it mean?

Perhaps I should add I'm not interested in the pros and cons of the various different systems, as value for money, or whatever, or the rights and wrongs of exams. I'm just trying to work out what the north American levels mean.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2005995 - 12/29/12 11:46 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
Peter, really I have no idea what you mean about 1.25 or 3. Could you explain again please?

So far I have learned that:

RCM is Canadian, and the US equivalent is The Achivement Program.

MTAC does CM and that's California.

Macgrath grades a little easier than RCM.

I'm not sure I can accept there is *no* correlation between these. Often a teacher here will post 'I have a student at level two and...' and other teachers at least give the impression of knowing what that means.

They only know what it means if they are familiar with the system they are referring to. If someone comes online and says "I play at a grade 2 or level 2" I have no idea what this means. I need them to tell me what they're working on specifically so I have an idea of what they're doing. So, I'm telling you, it means nothing without that context.

#2006003 - 12/29/12 12:08 PM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

ten left thumbs, I don't recall Peter mentioning 3, but the idea behind 1.25 is this: if the 8 level ABRSM system and the 10 level RCM system start and end at the same level of difficulty, then mathematically you can convert one set of levels to the other by multiplying the ABRSM level by 1.25. For example, 8x1.25 = 10, so ABRSM 8 would correspond to RCM level 10. 4x1.25 = 5, so ABRSM level 4 would correspond to RCM level 5.

The "if" is important: do we know that ABRSM and RCM start and end at the same level? Another poster mentioned that she thinks they start at different places, so she thinks ABRSM 1 is the same as RCM 3, and that after that the levels proceed at the same pace: A1=R3, A2=R4, and so on up to A8=R10.

I see an interesting challenge: to examine the pieces assigned at various levels in all these systems and come up with a correlation. It won't be perfect, because some systems might rank the relative difficulty of some pieces differently.

#2006021 - 12/29/12 12:33 PM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Okay, back to the OP...

I think all this "levels" talk is pointless, except for the idea that "level 10" (or whatever is the highest level in each system) is supposed to lead into an entry point auditioning for college/university/conservatory piano major.

But if you look around, every college has its own set of criteria. I know most colleges will require a J.S. Bach Prelude and Fugue (or the equivalent), a classical sonata movement of Mozart/Haydn/Beethoven, plus a large Romantic work (e.g., Chopin Etude or Rachmaninoff Prelude). Some colleges also want a standard 20th-century work (e.g., Prokofiev Sonata).

And when you get to repertoire of this caliber, you can get 10 different experts in the same room and they'll argue until their faces are blue which work is "harder" than another. Where do you draw the line between a BM work and a MM work or a DMA work? Is Chopin Ballade No. 2 a BM-level work, while Ballade No. 4 is DMA-level work??

#2006384 - 12/30/12 06:35 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: Morodiene]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

They only know what it means if they are familiar with the system they are referring to. If someone comes online and says "I play at a grade 2 or level 2" I have no idea what this means. I need them to tell me what they're working on specifically so I have an idea of what they're doing. So, I'm telling you, it means nothing without that context.

Got it, thanks.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2006385 - 12/30/12 06:39 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: PianoStudent88]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88

I see an interesting challenge: to examine the pieces assigned at various levels in all these systems and come up with a correlation. It won't be perfect, because some systems might rank the relative difficulty of some pieces differently.

OK, I will do this and see what comes up. I can accept imperfection. smile

To address AZN's point, yes there will be some subjectivity in assigning levels to pieces, especially at the higher levels. I am more interested in the lower levels, and I'm really just trying to get a feel for how to understand all sorts of US-Canadian materials I end up using.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#2007346 - 01/01/13 06:32 AM Re: Even stupider question [Re: ten left thumbs]
musicpassion Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
Quote:

Well, then what does it mean?

As someone else already said it doesn't communicate specific information unless you also include what system is being used.

But it can give general information. You can understand that someone working on level one is still early on in the process, and someone at level 9 should have some significant skills.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you play the piano 'for relaxation'?
by bennevis
11/26/14 01:18 PM
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
11/26/14 11:45 AM
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 11:17 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159368 Topics
2341070 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission