2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2005074 12/27/12 06:08 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Have been assigned a lot of accompaniment songs to learn of late.
Teacher correctly advised best way was to sing melody to ensure the chords and tempo are in the correct places.

Problem? I can't sing. It's not from not wanting to. I actually love singing and was in glee club in high school.

No, the issue is I physically can't sing any more due to vocal chord damage from a bad flu bug a few years back. It's not as if I intend to be a professional entertainer after all.

It's a bit embarrassing having to play along in front of the class and the voice of Froggy from our gang comes out.

I struggle thru but wonder if anyone else has similar issues.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Oh I can.

But it tends to make people leave the room rather quickly....

I loathe the sound of my own voice.

I have just begun, literally today, my piano studies and if singing is a requirement I better give up now. Not only did I always talk like I had a mouth full of gravel, not be able to carry a tune if my head was in a metal mop bucket, and have a terrible sounding voice, but now after smoking heavily from age 13 to present day 37 I wouldn't be able to breath to do it, even with my oxygen tank on full bore. You don't have to sing do you?

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
S
OP Offline
S
If you are only playing chords you may need someone else to sing along or play the melody for you.
Not only will you find it tougher to learn the song correctly, the chords on their own are not a complete experience.
It would be like only hearing one channel of a 5.1 soundtrack.

On a personal note I hope you have stopped smoking. None of my business of course but I just lost my mother in November from it. Good luck either way.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Schroeder II
Problem? I can't sing. It's not from not wanting to. I actually love singing and was in glee club in high school.

No, the issue is I physically can't sing any more due to vocal chord damage from a bad flu bug a few years back. It's not as if I intend to be a professional entertainer after all.
Have you had this verified with a vocal doctor? I'm asking because I've never heard of the flu permanently destroying a voice. In fact, it's very hard to destroy your voice for good. The most common problem of a rough voice are nodules or polyps, both temporary problems that can be fixed.

I sing professionally and I had my tonsils removed a few years ago. I had all kinds of trouble from that. Took about a year of vocal therapy and constantly scoping my throat to overcome the problems. But eventually it came back. The voice is resilient and hard to destroy. I'd get another opinion if you love to sing so much.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Even if you sound like froggy, you are probably froggy who can sing in tune and that might put you ahead of the crowd!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I can sing. No problem. But my hasband has big challenge in pitch and rhythm. He has an ok voice, tenor that is. I tried to fix this for a while without any success.

FarmGirl #2005165 12/27/12 09:39 PM
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I can sing. No problem. But my hasband has big challenge in pitch and rhythm. He has an ok voice, tenor that is.

No, that's just a normal tenor ... wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
over a year ago, I got involved in a chant group, playing hand drums. I decided that it would be nice if I improved my singing -- translation:

. . . I realized I sounded pretty bad.

I found a local teacher who had lots of adult students. She has been _extremely_ helpful to me. My tone improved, my pitch improved, and I can listen to a recording of my own voice without wincing.

So there _is_ hope . . .

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I can sing. However, I've been asked not to, by more than one person. So I don't sing much anymore. My instrumental performance skills are at a much higher standard than my vocals. Even my piano skills at 10 months are far more crowd pleasing than any singing that I have done. It is a shame in a way, because I have written and can write some decent lyrics on occasion. No one is going to cover my songs, so if I don't sing, those lyrics never get heard.

I have been told that with some intensive coaching and lessons I might be able to get somewhere. I doubt I will follow up on that though.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

Off topic but ........ I see a birthday cake above your name. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. smile cool smile

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas

Have you had this verified with a vocal doctor? I'm asking because I've never heard of the flu permanently destroying a voice. In fact, it's very hard to destroy your voice for good. The most common problem of a rough voice are nodules or polyps, both temporary problems that can be fixed.

I sing professionally and I had my tonsils removed a few years ago. I had all kinds of trouble from that. Took about a year of vocal therapy and constantly scoping my throat to overcome the problems. But eventually it came back. The voice is resilient and hard to destroy. I'd get another opinion if you love to sing so much.

I hadn't considered medical opinions. Based on the above I will give it some consideration.
I'm not sure what the definition of temporary is here but the abrupt change occurred after a bad week of flu induced coughing in 2005. If it was going to fix itself I think it wold have happened by now.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I can sing. No problem. But my hasband has big challenge in pitch and rhythm. He has an ok voice, tenor that is.

thumb

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes I can sing. I believe it's good practice to sing the melody of pieces to get the right dynamics, phrasing, speed etc . Also I sometimes use it to sing parts that need more hands than I have (eg, other voice in 4hand pieces).

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
wouter79 #2005522 12/28/12 01:35 PM
F
F
I joined my husband's choir (and started vocal lessons) a couple of years ago, partly to enhance my music education, and partly in self defence. I'm now glad I did - we perform a fair bit under 5 different directors, all of whom are outstanding musicians. Am learning a lot.

As for singing at the piano, I will when I am on my own - I will sing the melody line usually, watching for the natural phrasing where I have to breathe. It's really hard for me to sing along with anyone else at the piano (except my vocal teacher). Cannot sing with my piano teacher! Not sure why. I have no problems with public speaking, etc. Perhaps I will make it a New Year's resolution.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I can not sing (well I can but I can't hold a tune lol.)

I did however experience damage to my vocal cords from a flu/cough in early 2007. I was put on some evil morphine based cough syrup to try to ease the hoarse coughing. I had to have a babysitter while on that stuff. I went from sounding like a 12yr. old girl (imagine callers asking for your daddy when you are in your 30's) to sounding more like an adult.

Never could hold a tune so that wasn't affected. No longer being considered a child, total bonus in my book.

My son ended up with some damage to his nose from a nasty cold when he was two.

Damage happens if you get a bad bug. Just saying...

Last edited by BeccaBb; 12/28/12 01:45 PM.

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sure I can sing.... until I turn the water off in the shower and then it just sounds like a stuck pig. cry

Actually I do sing and hum notes all the time when practicing piano. It helps me get a handle on phrasing and dynamics. I don't think anyone would want to listen to it except me.

Oh, I've also recently embarked on trying to sight read and simultaneously sing/name the notes in phrases from a Bach Invention....a sightreading exercise suggested by someone on ABF. That is progressing slowly as expected.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I hadn't considered medical opinions. Based on the above I will give it some consideration.
I'm not sure what the definition of temporary is here but the abrupt change occurred after a bad week of flu induced coughing in 2005. If it was going to fix itself I think it wold have happened by now.
Oh, I don't doubt that you had damage done. Dehydration alone can cause major issues. Coughing is horrible for the voice. What I'm suggesting is that there is most likely a fix. If you developed nodules, you could be re-agitating them, which is why they won't go away. Training can help with that. If you have polyps, they can be removed. Either way, a trip to an ENT to get scoped will let you know what's going on.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
I second that. I was found to have a nodule when I was i my mid-20's. I never had it taken care of though and now my voice is raspy. I am going to put that on the to do list for 2013.

As for smoking (someone asked) I quit December 2, 2012 but have slipped a few times. I have smoked two packs in those three weeks. Still that's a heck of an improvement from two packs of those harsh, filtered little cigars I smoked every day for many, many years. I am certainly going to give them up after these are gone before I get hooked again. You know I really didn't have any problems quitting and I went cold turkey for two and a half weeks. I chalk it up to the power of prayer. Buying those two packs (not at the same time) was the dumbest move I have made since starting at age 13, but I was a dumb kid then so I should have know better.

Sorry to go OT: Needed to vent frustration at self.

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I needed to echo sing for my piano exam. Whilst I say I do not have a good voice my piano teacher said whenever she has tested me in echo singing I can hit the note well and some of her students cannot.

However when I did my exam the comments from the examiner said I had sung three wrong notes in the echo singing part. I was annoyed because I know I did not.

shocked

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission