Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1997637 - 12/10/12 11:00 PM jazz piano
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

If you have been trained as a classical pianist, and taken some grades, does it make learning jazz piano easier? I guess you already have the fundamentals and just need to learn to play in a jazz/blues fashion. If you can already play with two hands to a reasonable standard, then I would say you are half way there already.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1997829 - 12/11/12 11:04 AM Jazz piano [Re: adultpianist]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Step 1: Ask a question.

Step 2: Answer your own question.

Step 3: All done.

#1997844 - 12/11/12 11:47 AM Re: jazz piano [Re: adultpianist]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Hi, adultpianist -

Since you've been over in the ABF, too, this thread might be of interest to you:

Jazz piano discussion and ideas for beginners in jazz piano in the ABF

It'll give you some idea of the skills jazz pianists develop, and a lot of ideas on how to do that.

The thread isn't as frequented as it was when it started, but if you post in it so that it comes to the top of the ABF it's likely that someone in the ABF will see it and respond. And jazzwee and the others are extremely helpful, and have been exactly where you are now - at the very very beginning!

The skills that classical players have definitely overlap with the ones that jazz players need, and jazzwee took some classical lessons to help develop those. But there are other skills, too, that classical pianists rarely if ever use, and jazzwee took lessons from a jazz piano teacher to specifically develop those.

There's also a thread in this forum on the Joy of Improvisation (JOI) and there are several people working thru that. You might find that interesting.

There's a new thread in the ABF on Tim Richards' Blues Piano book that might be a lot of fun for you, too.

All three of these threads are what we, in the ABF, have called "study groups." People who are working on the particular theme of the thread and helping each other out as they go.

We're a pretty friendly bunch here at PW, and especially the ABF. There's a lot in those study groups to give you some idea of what jazz piano is about.

Cathy

#1997914 - 12/11/12 02:23 PM Re: jazz piano [Re: jotur]
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I'm a classically trained guy who switched to jazz. The bottom line is that your classical training will help physically but not mentally. What I mean by that is that your ability to play notes, chords, runs, etc, will all be very useful and put you ahead of the learning curve.

That said, jazz is mentally a fundamentally different way of approaching music. Some classical people think that just like Bach sounds different than Debussy, jazz is just a different sounding kind of music. It isn't. It's a different way of approaching music, primarily focusing on chord progressions and how to improvise over them.

I could not have come as far as I have given the given time I've spent without the classical training. So you will benefit from all of that training. But be prepared to learn a new method of making music. For me,it's been one of the most rewarding journeys I've undertaken.

#1998087 - 12/11/12 10:39 PM Re: jazz piano [Re: jjo]
Steve Nixon Offline

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: jjo

That said, jazz is mentally a fundamentally different way of approaching music. Some classical people think that just like Bach sounds different than Debussy, jazz is just a different sounding kind of music. It isn't. It's a different way of approaching music, primarily focusing on chord progressions and how to improvise over them.

I could not have come as far as I have given the given time I've spent without the classical training. So you will benefit from all of that training. But be prepared to learn a new method of making music. For me,it's been one of the most rewarding journeys I've undertaken.

Well said sir. +1

Blues Piano Masterclass on DVD
http://www.learnbluespiano.net/

Learn Piano Online
http://www.pianolessonsonline.com

Online Jazz, Blues, & Rock Piano Lessons
http://stevenixonmusic.net/lessons.cfm

#1998094 - 12/11/12 10:54 PM Re: jazz piano [Re: jjo]
custard apple Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney
I'm a classically trained guy who switched to jazz. The bottom line is that your classical training will help physically but not mentally. What I mean by that is that your ability to play notes, chords, runs, etc, will all be very useful and put you ahead of the learning curve.

Perfectly put. +1

#2000876 - 12/17/12 08:47 PM Re: jazz piano [Re: adultpianist]
Chad F Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Nicely put jjo. I was classically trained up to a college diploma level, then fell in love with Jazz and started my journey. It was a tough transition mentally as jjo mentioned. One of the big challenges was to adjust to playing (and hearing) simply again. Going from playing complex arrangements to plunking out shell voicings under a melody felt like I was going backwards at first. However, if you really make an effort to keep it simple, you'll start to experience the freedom that comes with improvising. I think the natural tendency for many classically trained improvisors (myself included) is to overcompensate for a lack of understanding, experience playing within a particular style, and/or listening with too many notes or musical ideas.

So in short, yes it will make it easier for you, but keep it simple. Especially at first!

Cheers

#2005214 - 12/27/12 10:15 PM Re: jazz piano [Re: jjo]
JamesPlaysPiano Offline

Very well said! I like to imagine a "bar graph" representing a classical pianist's skills, and another representing those of a jazz pianist. Some items are on both charts at high levels. Other items are on both charts but are emphasized differently from one discipline to the other. And other items are only found on one chart, and not the other.

A typical, say, intermediate classical student who is transitioning into jazz, then, would presumably have a "lopsided" chart, as it were. Some items would be strong, others weak or possibly missing. Lessons would then include lots of focus on bringing those lower items up. I always tell students right away how awesome it is that they are so strong in certain areas- "there are lots of conversations we won't even have to have, because you're already there!" And moving forward is simply a matter of recognizing that this is a fundamentally different approach, as you said, and giving oneself permission to sound "basic" all over again, knowing that it's a perfectly natural aspect of the process. Easier said than done, of course, because it's so humbling! But in the end, attitude and an understanding of the process can make the "transition" a very pleasant one. smile

#2005251 - 12/27/12 11:52 PM Re: jazz piano [Re: JamesPlaysPiano]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

excellent

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (36251, 88 Fingers Jeff, anamnesis, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1325 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157097 Topics
2307104 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
08/27/14 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
08/27/14 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
08/27/14 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
08/27/14 04:40 PM
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
08/27/14 03:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission