Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2005317 - 12/28/12 05:09 AM Self Teaching Courses
Vince R Offline

Can anyone offer me advice, please ?

I am 60 yrs. old and finally in a position to learn to play. I'm looking at the following course'ware and would like to hear from anyone who has used or is using, any of them.

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course
Piano for Dummies
Rocket Piano Course
Duanne Shinn - 52 weed crash course

Any advice is apprciated.
Thank you
Vincent

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2005477 - 12/28/12 11:38 AM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: Vince R]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course: It's a very good method, and it seems to be very popular here. There are three main volumes of books in the method, and each volume has a thread on this forum dedicated to people going through it. So there's a defacto support system available for it.

Piano for Dummies: I haven't seen this method so I can't comment on it.

Rocket Piano Course: I have this course (my version is pretty old but I think it may be the same). It does cover a fair amount of material, but I didn't like the pieces that you go through in the course. They're musically uninteresting. That's a personal opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Duanne Schinn 52 week crash course. It seems to be pretty well regarded by people who have gone through it (I have not). But wow it's crazy expensive compared to a lot of other methods (though maybe not compared to a year of lessons with an in person teacher). Still, if you're a very visual learner, having the DVD's to show you what you need to do may be worthwhile. Also, if you're interested in playing popular music or jazz from lead sheets or this may be a better course, as there seems to be a focus in this course on playing lead sheets as well as the grand staff.

Another method you didn't mention but which may be worth considering is the Fundamental Keys Method book. It's a method designed for adult self learners based on classical music repertoire. It's very well regarded here. I have it and like it a lot. If you google fundamental keys you'll find the website. The author also is in the process of making videos to go along with the lessons.

Hope that's helpful. smile

#2005520 - 12/28/12 12:30 PM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: fizikisto]
BarryR Offline

Loc: Tampa Bay, FL
Originally Posted By: fizikisto
Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course: It's a very good method, and it seems to be very popular here. There are three main volumes of books in the method, and each volume has a thread on this forum dedicated to people going through it. So there's a defacto support system available for it.

Piano for Dummies: I haven't seen this method so I can't comment on it.

Rocket Piano Course: I have this course (my version is pretty old but I think it may be the same). It does cover a fair amount of material, but I didn't like the pieces that you go through in the course. They're musically uninteresting. That's a personal opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Duanne Schinn 52 week crash course. It seems to be pretty well regarded by people who have gone through it (I have not). But wow it's crazy expensive compared to a lot of other methods (though maybe not compared to a year of lessons with an in person teacher). Still, if you're a very visual learner, having the DVD's to show you what you need to do may be worthwhile. Also, if you're interested in playing popular music or jazz from lead sheets or this may be a better course, as there seems to be a focus in this course on playing lead sheets as well as the grand staff.

Another method you didn't mention but which may be worth considering is the Fundamental Keys Method book. It's a method designed for adult self learners based on classical music repertoire. It's very well regarded here. I have it and like it a lot. If you google fundamental keys you'll find the website. The author also is in the process of making videos to go along with the lessons.

Hope that's helpful. smile

Sure helped me.....Thanks !!!!

#2005690 - 12/28/12 05:15 PM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: Vince R]
Littleted Offline

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Vince I use Alfreds and its great. My tutor even used it when I had a few months with her.

Also remember that youTube has all alfreds pieces in, so if your unsure how its supposed to sound go there

the guys ok, and it really helped me

https://www.youtube.com/user/PianoNoobAlexMan/videos?query=alfreds+book+1
Looking for Multi Millionaire who wants to adopt a family, Me ( It Consultant ) Wife ( Athletics Coach Running ) 3 children, Tired of working and would love to do your gardens and polish your cars, im also a dab hand at Gaming so will keep your kids occupied. smile I can but dream cant i

#2005745 - 12/28/12 07:26 PM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: fizikisto]
Vince R Offline

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful.
Happy New Year !

#2005746 - 12/28/12 07:27 PM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: Littleted]
Vince R Offline

Thank you very much for responding.

Happy New Year !

#2005849 - 12/29/12 01:25 AM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: Vince R]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Alfred.

#2005878 - 12/29/12 03:46 AM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: Vince R]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I have looked at Piano for Dummies and Alfred's. If I was choosing between the two it would be Alfred's. Alfred's even has a substitute for book one called Alfred's Self Teaching Piano Course with a CD and DVD which you can get at amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Self-Teaching-Adult-Piano-Course/dp/0739078453/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356769835&sr=8-3&keywords=alfred%27s+teach+yourself+piano . After that volume you can go on to book 2 and three. Shinn is outrageously expensive if you ask me, but I have never seen the course. I just don't see 52 weeks of books and DVDs costing that much. It could be the greatest thing since sliced bread for all I know, but that still doesn't stop it from being expensive. If I were to go with Shinn I would get a teacher, assuming of course that would work out for you with travel to and from and your schedule. I myself am disabled and never know when I am going to have a bad day and wouldn't be able to get ready and go.

I myself went with something most people wouldn't have available to them, a course from the now defunct U.S School of Music which was a correspondence school that taught all different instruments from the early 1900's through 1975. If you can ever run across on Ebay a set of lessons from the 60's or 70's with the records that came with it, do yourself a favor and buy it. It's seems far more in depth and discusses each piece more than any method book I have ever seen. Since someone gave me mine I just have checked Ebay a few times and they do come up from time to time, but you have to watch from when. I would be leery of getting something too old due to paper breakdown and record conditions.
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#2005948 - 12/29/12 09:47 AM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: fizikisto]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: fizikisto

This would also be my recommendation.

Very professional approach for learning classical music.

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

#2005959 - 12/29/12 10:25 AM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: Vince R]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
The author of this one is a PW member:

http://playingpianoblog.com/learn-to-play-the-piano/

#2012258 - 01/10/13 01:10 PM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: Vince R]
Alfred Piano Team Offline

Great response, Bill! Alfred's "Self Teaching Adult Piano Course" with the DVD is superb. When I reviewed the new DVD, with Gayle Kowalchyk as the presenting teacher, I thought: "Universities should use this in their pedagogy programs for new teachers." Gayle is such a profficient teacher and author! Alfred will be featuring more products with this kind of audio/visual support in future publications. Please feel free to get in touch with us for product assistance or just to offer feedback on our teaching materials. We are at keyboard@alfred.com or (818) 892-2452. Keep the music playing!

#2012309 - 01/10/13 03:16 PM Re: Self Teaching Courses [Re: Vince R]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
Yesterday I got the chance to look through "Piano for Dummies" (Spanish Language edition). I canĀ“t recommend it to you. It is not a method book to learn playing piano. Instead it is a handbook for beginners, who want to repeat from a different source once more what they already learned about theory and about general knowledge around the topic "piano" in their first 1 or 2 years of classes.
It does not contain step by step instructions, which you would need for learning. It contains hints on a lot of topics, though. It might be nice to read in bed before sleeping, for freshing up in your head things about piano playing and to become curious on the things to come. But it is not made for your hands.
It would better be called "Piano Theory for Dummies"

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
120 registered (barbaram, accordeur, 0987654321, anotherscott, A Guy, 29 invisible), 1592 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327552 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission