Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1989111 - 11/20/12 09:22 PM What would cause a key to be dead sometimes?
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
I have purchased a different piano (Yamaha U1) and have just recently noticed that D6 and E6 are both having a problem of occasionally just being dead...no sound at all. This happens intermittently so I'm sure when the tech comes to tune it it will refuse to misbehave itself. Any thoughts on what could be causing this to happen?

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1989115 - 11/20/12 09:27 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
My biggest advice to clients is to write down exactly which notes are giving you trouble. Often when a technician enters the room the piano decides it better start behaving itself! Even if its not acting up at the appointment, if we know which notes were the culprits, we can usually fix the problem.
www.pianova.net

#1989118 - 11/20/12 09:29 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
It could be several different things. Broken or weak jack springs, sluggish action centers, no lost motion, something between the keys, etc. Only a tech would be able to tell for sure once he/she sees it. A good tech will correctly diagnose and fix it, though.

#1989120 - 11/20/12 09:32 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: rysowers]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
In addition to writing down which notes it is, see if you can figure out circumstances in which those notes don't work. For example, playing softly/slowly, or fast/loud, or if it happens after playing the note a number of times, or if it happens only the first time you play it, etc.

#1989146 - 11/20/12 10:12 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Broken butt spring cords?

#1989149 - 11/20/12 10:21 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Emmery Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
If its occasional then its likely the jack not resetting. This is not a big issue or cost to fix. Call your tech for a tuning and they will take care of it.

#1989227 - 11/21/12 04:45 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
SimplyBrendan Offline

Loc: South Africa
Humidity causing all the above? Might want to check that for future similar problems. New piano, new environment perhaps?

South Africa

www.simplypianos.co.za

#1989259 - 11/21/12 07:44 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Mark Cerisano, RPT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Here are two quick tests you can do yourself (for those who like to know more what's happening)
1. Press the key down and then lift it up slowly. Does it play now? If not, it is probably negative lost motion (or #2); the jack is not reseting. Also, one can usually get the note to sound again by playing the note a few more times rapidly and loudly. To fix, just lower the capstan a quarter turn or so.
2. Play the note twice reasonably fast, say 4bps. Does the second note sound? If not, it may be a sluggish jack not reseting fast enough. To confirm, wait a few seconds and try again. If the note does sound after the wait period, that is because the jack has now slowly reset itself. Repairing that is more difficult.

#1989280 - 11/21/12 08:54 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: SimplyBrendan]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SimplyBrendan
Humidity causing all the above? Might want to check that for future similar problems. New piano, new environment perhaps?

It was delivered 2.5 months ago. It has a climate control system installed but thanks for your response.

#1989283 - 11/21/12 08:58 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Zeno Wood]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Zeno Wood
In addition to writing down which notes it is, see if you can figure out circumstances in which those notes don't work. For example, playing softly/slowly, or fast/loud, or if it happens after playing the note a number of times, or if it happens only the first time you play it, etc.

That's what is so puzzling to me. It happens after I have been playing a song and used it prior to when it goes dead. I have an appointment with a good RPT in a few weeks so I will write every cicumstance when it occurs so I won't forget.

Thanks to evryone for the helpful suggestions as to what it might be.

#1989284 - 11/21/12 08:59 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Let's see... Muting rail felt getting in the way? smile
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1989285 - 11/21/12 09:00 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

OOps...should have said "while" playing a song. Also it seldom occurs when playing softly

#1989290 - 11/21/12 09:03 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Emmery]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emmery
If its occasional then its likely the jack not resetting. This is not a big issue or cost to fix. Call your tech for a tuning and they will take care of it.

Well thanks for that. I'm not quite broke but certainly cracked a bit after this purchase. eek

#1989298 - 11/21/12 09:14 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

If you can get it to do it before he comes, do it. Then, LEAVE it that way. Tell him it is sticking now. He'll dismantle the piano to see the action and look around to see if anything is obvious. My guess would be the jack too. Not enough lost motion. Often times, it will happen more when the sustaining pedal is also used.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1989300 - 11/21/12 09:16 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll

Well thanks for that. I'm not quite broke but certainly cracked a bit after this purchase. eek

Ragdoll is now googling "jack", "mute rail" "broken butt spring cords" for how to repair.......

Just don't use wd 40 to lube anything! grin

#1989303 - 11/21/12 09:24 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

shocked But,but, but... Dismantle my piano? LEAVE IT WITH NO PLAYING 'TILL HE COMES!!! Kidding of course. FWIW, the key returns just makes no sound.

#1989314 - 11/21/12 09:57 AM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Right. Probably a jack problem, lost motion, or sticking key bushings would be my first "guess." Nothing serious if that be the case.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2005517 - 12/28/12 12:26 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hate to think of this as a dead or old thread but thought I would update the RPT visit yesterday. The tuning itself is delish and the piano really sings now...however Ray was unable to cure the dead key issue due to time constraints. And of course we could not get it to misbehave except one time.

He did lube the jacks and capstans (whatever they are)in octave C5 to C6 and probed a bit on some tiny springs with a little icepick thingy (a technical term) but it did not fix the problem with the random dead keys. I scheduled a new appointment per my guarantee to look further into it. So most of all everyone's suggestions were right in the "area" of problem.

We also played a few songs (duets) to assess my own fingering techique and to see if the lube helped at all but sad to say it didn't. He did compliment me on my playing after I said "sorry" for my own pathetic mistakes. blush Still it made me feel pretty good as he is a very good pianist besides a great tech. I'll update after the next visit.

FWIW, I had never seen the inside of an upright and was amazed at the complexity. So much action to produce even one tone wow

#2005524 - 12/28/12 12:40 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
That is really unusual that your dead note problems didn't get fixed at the appointment, especially since you knew exactly which notes were giving you trouble.

When I show up at an appointment where there is a sticky key complaint, that is the first thing I work on. Once that problem is solved I will address things like tuning and voicing with the time that I have left. Sticky keys are always a priority over tuning, in my opinion.
www.pianova.net

#2005539 - 12/28/12 01:06 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
Originally Posted By: rysowers
Sticky keys are always a priority over tuning, in my opinion.

Agreed. I am left wondering how the fellow tuned those notes without repair.

Especially when one reads something such as this part;

He did lube the jacks and capstans (whatever they are)in octave C5 to C6 and probed a bit on some tiny springs with a little icepick thingy (a technical term) but it did not fix the problem with the random dead keys.
We also played a few songs (duets) to assess my own fingering technique and to see if the lube helped at all but sad to say it didn't.(snip)

And all of this went down while the tech was there? About 15 minutes to remove/replace the action and repair the whippen pin… hook up the pedals….
Simple to call forward the next appointment and be a bit late.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2005571 - 12/28/12 01:32 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
And all of this went down while the tech was there? About 15 minutes to remove/replace the action and repair the whippen pin… hook up the pedals….
Simple to call forward the next appointment and be a bit late.

In all fairness , he did stay 20 minutes past the time I had scheduled for the tuning. He's a very well respected tech and I have confidence he will resolve this problem, I couldn't say how he tuned the dead keys except that they only refuse to sound at random moments about every 6-7 times struck (don't stick at all) and of course refused any misbehavior the second he stepped in the room except for the one time. FWIW he did this initial assessment gratis and the second visit will be covered under guarantee by seller.

Nevertheless thanks for your responses.

#2005578 - 12/28/12 01:40 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

We have all encountered that sort of luck from time to time. Sort of like going to the dentist with a tooth ache and when you get there, it's gone however, if it does it about every several strikes of the key and it did it while he was there, it should have been observed while it was dead to ascertain what was causing the stickiness, if that were possible. And, if it continues to stick after 6 or 7 strikes of the key, it should be able to be found. From the description of what he did, I would say he was guessing as to what the cause was.

Although, in his favor, sometimes, once it is unstuck, the note can refuse to stick again too. It can be frustrating occasionally but not impossible..
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#2005582 - 12/28/12 01:49 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
TunerJeff Offline

Loc: Oregon Coast
Concur!

When you KNOW which notes are failing, it just isn't that hard to determine where the problem is, is it???

My method for determining the problem is to try and isolate the parts and lift everything seperately.

1. Hold the back of the key down.
Push the hammer forward and release. Slow?
Fix it.

2. Hold the back of the key down. Push the hammer slightly forward.
Lift the whippen away from the key and release. Slow?
Fix it.

3. Rotate the hammer slightly forward.
Press on the jack and release. Slow?
Fix it.

4. Just press the jack and release.
Does it re-set properly?
Does it hang short of fully under the hammerbutt?
By a little or a lot?
Fix by re-setting capstan.

5. Lift the whippen and hammer clear of the key.
Check the key travel through full range of motion.
Lift slightly and release; does it move easily? All good? Slow?
Fix it.

Basically; try and check each moving part as a seperate motion, without the weight or springs of anything else that might 'help' the part move.

My guess would be insufficient lost-motion on the jack. Yamaha actually suggests zero-clearance, but not lifting the hammer. This usually works fine, but maybe zero, in this case, is actually a little too 'zero' and the jack is binding. I'd back the capstan down, and then crank it back in carefully.

Second guess would be a slow jack; and re-pin that puppy. Possibly the jack-spring is not strong enough...but that's not a typical Yamaha issue.

Third would be the whippen; and re-pin. But, whippens are fairly robust pieces of wood...lots of weight...and it would take a really tight pin to make that the problem. Not a typical Yamaha issue, either.

Maybe a little higher on that list should be checking the key's balance-rail opening. Yamahas do occasionally have overly tight binding on the balance rail-pin, coming from the factory just a 'smidge too tight. But, the key would not re-set to 100% when released...it would be just a tick lower than the surrounding keys. You'd find that issue when checking the key motion as described above. Or, by lifting and releasing the key, by itself; a tiny lift of the key and release...it should fall back into place. If not...the keybushings are tight, or the balance-rail opening needs attention. I have a lot of Yamaha clients (schools and private), and easing the balance-rail opening or easing a few keys is a typical in 'young' pianos. I prefer this (...too tight) to having it loose right out of the box, personally. To me, it just means they are aiming for a precise and tight action and keys. Good!

I am surprised, as Ryan and Dan are, that the problem did not get first priority from the tuner/tech. Notes not working are number one for me, too. Especially when I know exactly which keys are the problem!

Good grief!

#2005590 - 12/28/12 01:59 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
FWIW he did this initial assessment gratis and the second visit will be covered under guarantee by seller.

It would do no harm to check the other 86 keys during the second visit just in case they could be suffering from a mild form of the same problem(s).

#2005593 - 12/28/12 02:05 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Although, in his favor, sometimes, once it is unstuck, the note can refuse to stick again too. It can be frustrating occasionally but not impossible..

wow wow wow Is this some kind of code I don't get? ha It does not stick down and returns fully, will sound if pressed immediately again, may not be silent for the next 6 or seven time when pressed and then randomly go silent again. Unless stuck means something different than my interpretaton of "stuck". I apologize if I have not described this problem correctly because I don't understand a lot of the terminology used here. blush I feel like I'm being a pest now. I will print these responses and show them to Ray next visit as I would not presume to tell him his job. Again, thanks everyone.

#2016092 - 01/17/13 12:00 PM Re: What would cause a key to be dead sometimes? [Re: Ragdoll]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sorry for dredging this topic up again butt... My piano tech just left and I'm so happy I could almost cry. I'm not sure of all that he did but the major part of his time was spent adjusting the lost motion throughout the whole key board. Also used something called ProTek on the keys in the troublesome octave.

The touch feels so different now and the dead key(s) issue is solved. Just in case I insulted anyone in my last post on this subject... Sorry, I was sooooooo frustrated trying to explain the problem, I was kinda snarky I guess. blush All told about an hour's work.

Doin the Snoopy Happy Dance.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (accordeur, Anne'sson, Almaviva, angga888, 40 invisible), 1478 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251496 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Today at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Today at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission