Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2005299 - 12/28/12 03:20 AM Fourth finger feels knackered
Joke Fingers Offline

I’m left handed and have been playing the piano for about two years now and try to do about two and half hours a day. I split my practice into two sessions’ morning and night. Anyway I find that in the second session my fourth finger feels fatigued which becomes annoying when trying to play things evenly etc. The other fingers feel fine and my fourth finger doesn’t hurt it just feels tried. So my question is did other players find this a problem when they started out. My second question is to the more experienced players how many years did it take before you felt that hand strength wasn’t a limiting factor to the way you played.

Edited by Joke Fingers (12/28/12 03:21 AM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2005486 - 12/28/12 11:54 AM Re: Fourth finger feels knackered [Re: Joke Fingers]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
"Strength" isn't a limiting factor for adults. On day one, you have enough strength in your hands to play the piano. Some endurance is required, but because the strength required is minimal, so is the endurance (if you use proper technique).

Bearing these ideas in mind, my first suggestion would be that there is a technique issue causing your 4th finger fatigue, and not necessarily a strength/endurance issue (especially if you are practicing for 4 hours a day). My second suggestion might be early indicators of potential stress-related injuries (probably due to those technique issues).

Which one is probably impossible to diagnose over the forum, but I hope it gives you a head start..

#2005765 - 12/28/12 08:06 PM Re: Fourth finger feels knackered [Re: Joke Fingers]
trigalg693 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Anyone has the strength to "play the piano" but the average person does not have enough finger strength to play proper repertoire proficiently, especially if your hands are small. Heck I can reach most 10th and after not practicing for a while I lose the ability to play octaves properly because my fingers start collapsing.

Edited by trigalg693 (12/28/12 08:07 PM)

#2005806 - 12/28/12 10:35 PM Re: Fourth finger feels knackered [Re: Joke Fingers]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Every serious pianist has fourth finger issues that have to be dealt with - it's just a result of how our hands are built. So the idea is to get it as skilled as you can get it - it's not so much a "strength" thing, I don't think.

Exercises that give it a workout, such as some of the Dohnanyi exercises, are useful. But you must be alert to over-use and forcing things - you want to avoid injury. Doing exercises (mindfully) is one way to build and shape the neural stuff that gets that finger into optimal condition. In my experience, a good deal of issue is about one's perception of the finger and how it works, rather than the actual muscles and tendons, and mindful exercise can refine and expand that perception.

#2005855 - 12/29/12 01:42 AM Re: Fourth finger feels knackered [Re: Joke Fingers]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
The fourth finger "issue" is usually an independence issue. Hands collapse and fingers try to play together and/or too close together because the proper "spacing" has not been established by any specific physical movement. Almost always technique, and not "strength" (unless you have a physical disability, which is something I'm assuming you'd know about).

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (Atrys, accordeur, anotherscott, A Guy, 47 invisible), 1426 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251045 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission