Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
135 registered (Anita Potter, AnimistFvR, anamnesis, accordeur, Alan Cyr, acoxcae, 36 invisible), 1686 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2005074 - 12/27/12 05:08 PM Can you sing?
Schroeder II Offline

Have been assigned a lot of accompaniment songs to learn of late.
Teacher correctly advised best way was to sing melody to ensure the chords and tempo are in the correct places.

Problem? I can't sing. It's not from not wanting to. I actually love singing and was in glee club in high school.

No, the issue is I physically can't sing any more due to vocal chord damage from a bad flu bug a few years back. It's not as if I intend to be a professional entertainer after all.

It's a bit embarrassing having to play along in front of the class and the voice of Froggy from our gang comes out.

I struggle thru but wonder if anyone else has similar issues.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2005101 - 12/27/12 06:16 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Oh I can.

But it tends to make people leave the room rather quickly....

I loathe the sound of my own voice.

#2005117 - 12/27/12 06:54 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I have just begun, literally today, my piano studies and if singing is a requirement I better give up now. Not only did I always talk like I had a mouth full of gravel, not be able to carry a tune if my head was in a metal mop bucket, and have a terrible sounding voice, but now after smoking heavily from age 13 to present day 37 I wouldn't be able to breath to do it, even with my oxygen tank on full bore. You don't have to sing do you?
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#2005127 - 12/27/12 07:18 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: BillTheSlink]
Schroeder II Offline

If you are only playing chords you may need someone else to sing along or play the melody for you.
Not only will you find it tougher to learn the song correctly, the chords on their own are not a complete experience.
It would be like only hearing one channel of a 5.1 soundtrack.

On a personal note I hope you have stopped smoking. None of my business of course but I just lost my mother in November from it. Good luck either way.

#2005133 - 12/27/12 07:31 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Schroeder II
Problem? I can't sing. It's not from not wanting to. I actually love singing and was in glee club in high school.

No, the issue is I physically can't sing any more due to vocal chord damage from a bad flu bug a few years back. It's not as if I intend to be a professional entertainer after all.
Have you had this verified with a vocal doctor? I'm asking because I've never heard of the flu permanently destroying a voice. In fact, it's very hard to destroy your voice for good. The most common problem of a rough voice are nodules or polyps, both temporary problems that can be fixed.

I sing professionally and I had my tonsils removed a few years ago. I had all kinds of trouble from that. Took about a year of vocal therapy and constantly scoping my throat to overcome the problems. But eventually it came back. The voice is resilient and hard to destroy. I'd get another opinion if you love to sing so much.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2005156 - 12/27/12 08:28 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Even if you sound like froggy, you are probably froggy who can sing in tune and that might put you ahead of the crowd!

Kawai K3

#2005160 - 12/27/12 08:32 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I can sing. No problem. But my hasband has big challenge in pitch and rhythm. He has an ok voice, tenor that is. I tried to fix this for a while without any success.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2005165 - 12/27/12 08:39 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: FarmGirl]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I can sing. No problem. But my hasband has big challenge in pitch and rhythm. He has an ok voice, tenor that is.

No, that's just a normal tenor ... wink

Kawai K3

#2005183 - 12/27/12 09:14 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Andy Platt]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
over a year ago, I got involved in a chant group, playing hand drums. I decided that it would be nice if I improved my singing -- translation:

. . . I realized I sounded pretty bad.

I found a local teacher who had lots of adult students. She has been _extremely_ helpful to me. My tone improved, my pitch improved, and I can listen to a recording of my own voice without wincing.

So there _is_ hope . . .

. Charles

#2005202 - 12/27/12 09:50 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I can sing. However, I've been asked not to, by more than one person. So I don't sing much anymore. My instrumental performance skills are at a much higher standard than my vocals. Even my piano skills at 10 months are far more crowd pleasing than any singing that I have done. It is a shame in a way, because I have written and can write some decent lyrics on occasion. No one is going to cover my songs, so if I don't sing, those lyrics never get heard.

I have been told that with some intensive coaching and lessons I might be able to get somewhere. I doubt I will follow up on that though.

#2005207 - 12/27/12 10:01 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Andy Platt]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

Off topic but ........ I see a birthday cake above your name. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. smile cool smile

#2005240 - 12/27/12 11:03 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Brian Lucas]
Schroeder II Offline

Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas

Have you had this verified with a vocal doctor? I'm asking because I've never heard of the flu permanently destroying a voice. In fact, it's very hard to destroy your voice for good. The most common problem of a rough voice are nodules or polyps, both temporary problems that can be fixed.

I sing professionally and I had my tonsils removed a few years ago. I had all kinds of trouble from that. Took about a year of vocal therapy and constantly scoping my throat to overcome the problems. But eventually it came back. The voice is resilient and hard to destroy. I'd get another opinion if you love to sing so much.

I hadn't considered medical opinions. Based on the above I will give it some consideration.
I'm not sure what the definition of temporary is here but the abrupt change occurred after a bad week of flu induced coughing in 2005. If it was going to fix itself I think it wold have happened by now.

#2005270 - 12/28/12 01:02 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Andy Platt]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I can sing. No problem. But my hasband has big challenge in pitch and rhythm. He has an ok voice, tenor that is.

thumb
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2005471 - 12/28/12 11:31 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Yes I can sing. I believe it's good practice to sing the melody of pieces to get the right dynamics, phrasing, speed etc . Also I sometimes use it to sing parts that need more hands than I have (eg, other voice in 4hand pieces).

#2005522 - 12/28/12 12:35 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: wouter79]
Forstergirl Offline

Loc: Ontario
I joined my husband's choir (and started vocal lessons) a couple of years ago, partly to enhance my music education, and partly in self defence. I'm now glad I did - we perform a fair bit under 5 different directors, all of whom are outstanding musicians. Am learning a lot.

As for singing at the piano, I will when I am on my own - I will sing the melody line usually, watching for the natural phrasing where I have to breathe. It's really hard for me to sing along with anyone else at the piano (except my vocal teacher). Cannot sing with my piano teacher! Not sure why. I have no problems with public speaking, etc. Perhaps I will make it a New Year's resolution.

#2005527 - 12/28/12 12:44 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I can not sing (well I can but I can't hold a tune lol.)

I did however experience damage to my vocal cords from a flu/cough in early 2007. I was put on some evil morphine based cough syrup to try to ease the hoarse coughing. I had to have a babysitter while on that stuff. I went from sounding like a 12yr. old girl (imagine callers asking for your daddy when you are in your 30's) to sounding more like an adult.

Never could hold a tune so that wasn't affected. No longer being considered a child, total bonus in my book.

My son ended up with some damage to his nose from a nasty cold when he was two.

Damage happens if you get a bad bug. Just saying...

Edited by BeccaBb (12/28/12 12:45 PM)

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2005675 - 12/28/12 04:53 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Sure I can sing.... until I turn the water off in the shower and then it just sounds like a stuck pig. cry

Actually I do sing and hum notes all the time when practicing piano. It helps me get a handle on phrasing and dynamics. I don't think anyone would want to listen to it except me.

Oh, I've also recently embarked on trying to sight read and simultaneously sing/name the notes in phrases from a Bach Invention....a sightreading exercise suggested by someone on ABF. That is progressing slowly as expected.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2005818 - 12/28/12 11:42 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

I hadn't considered medical opinions. Based on the above I will give it some consideration.
I'm not sure what the definition of temporary is here but the abrupt change occurred after a bad week of flu induced coughing in 2005. If it was going to fix itself I think it wold have happened by now.
Oh, I don't doubt that you had damage done. Dehydration alone can cause major issues. Coughing is horrible for the voice. What I'm suggesting is that there is most likely a fix. If you developed nodules, you could be re-agitating them, which is why they won't go away. Training can help with that. If you have polyps, they can be removed. Either way, a trip to an ENT to get scoped will let you know what's going on.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2005881 - 12/29/12 04:45 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
BillTheSlink Offline

I second that. I was found to have a nodule when I was i my mid-20's. I never had it taken care of though and now my voice is raspy. I am going to put that on the to do list for 2013.

As for smoking (someone asked) I quit December 2, 2012 but have slipped a few times. I have smoked two packs in those three weeks. Still that's a heck of an improvement from two packs of those harsh, filtered little cigars I smoked every day for many, many years. I am certainly going to give them up after these are gone before I get hooked again. You know I really didn't have any problems quitting and I went cold turkey for two and a half weeks. I chalk it up to the power of prayer. Buying those two packs (not at the same time) was the dumbest move I have made since starting at age 13, but I was a dumb kid then so I should have know better.

Sorry to go OT: Needed to vent frustration at self.
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#2005908 - 12/29/12 07:33 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: BillTheSlink]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I needed to echo sing for my piano exam. Whilst I say I do not have a good voice my piano teacher said whenever she has tested me in echo singing I can hit the note well and some of her students cannot.

However when I did my exam the comments from the examiner said I had sung three wrong notes in the echo singing part. I was annoyed because I know I did not.

shocked

#2005915 - 12/29/12 08:10 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I'm a tenor singer in a choir that mainly performs classical church music. Latest performance was the Chistmas Oratory of Bach. I also often accompany soloists and choirs, but I don't sing solo myself, not even in the shower.

#2005984 - 12/29/12 11:31 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Have been assigned a lot of accompaniment songs to learn of late.
Teacher correctly advised best way was to sing melody to ensure the chords and tempo are in the correct places.

It's a bit embarrassing having to play along in front of the class and the voice of Froggy from our gang comes out.

I struggle thru but wonder if anyone else has similar issues.

This can be corrected with proper lessons, fyi (and not surgery or anything invasive). I know your thing is piano, but it seems a shame that you used to be able to sing and can't due to an illness.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2005990 - 12/29/12 11:39 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I was a singer in my youth, but 35 years of teaching school, overusing my voice, and onset of serious allergies resulted in a deterioration of my tone which makes me loath to sing anymore. I was a high tenor. Now I am a raspy bass-baritone. Not pleasant. Now my piano does my singing, and I must say, it does a better job than I ever did.

#2006082 - 12/29/12 03:31 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Chopinlover49]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Anyone heard of the soprano Dawn Upshaw? She is coming to the UK next month and giving a voice masterclass. I am attending out of interest. She has a lovely voice

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/7-bY_58B5Vs[/video]

#2006169 - 12/29/12 06:24 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: BillTheSlink]
Schroeder II Offline

Originally Posted By: BillTheSlink

Sorry to go OT: Needed to vent frustration at self.

No need to apologize
Take it one day at a time
Mutual support is what forums like this do best

I feel better too looking at the answers this thread generated

#2006271 - 12/29/12 10:56 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Morodiene]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
This can be corrected with proper lessons, fyi (and not surgery or anything invasive). I know your thing is piano, but it seems a shame that you used to be able to sing and can't due to an illness.
That's partially true. If it's just nodules, then with proper training and vocal awareness, they will eventually go away. However, if the nodule has grown into a polyp (main sign is a constant raspy voice than never improves, even with rest), most of the time those have to be removed surgically.
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2006308 - 12/30/12 12:50 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
Nope. No. Nada. No singing DNA in my body.

Wish I could. I've always been in awe of people who can make a living singing and dancing.

#2006390 - 12/30/12 06:53 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
BillTheSlink Offline

I just wish I could sing well enough to be pleasant enough to tell a story and have people listen. My favorite singer was the late Phil Ochs. I certainly don't agree with all his politics, but he could tell a story or take a position that made you think about things, and while not the most beautiful voice to ever take the stage, he was pleasant enough to keep you listening to. I am only 37 too and none of my friends had ever heard of him, but I have converted many.

#2006439 - 12/30/12 09:06 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Brian Lucas]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas
Originally Posted By: Morodiene
That's partially true. If it's just nodules, then with proper training and vocal awareness, they will eventually go away. However, if the nodule has grown into a polyp (main sign is a constant raspy voice than never improves, even with rest), most of the time those have to be removed surgically.

That is true, and the only way to find out is to go to an ENT and have them diagnose the issue. But even vocal cord paralysis can be corrected over time with proper training, so a good many things can be corrected without surgery.

Edited by Morodiene (12/30/12 09:08 AM)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2006461 - 12/30/12 10:04 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Morodiene]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Yes. Some things from a few years ago.

http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/shes-leaving-home-lennon
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/ive-grown-accustomed-to-her
http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris/i-will-vocal-cd

I work on it everyday, just like the piano. Basically you have to treat it as just another instrument. You have to do it everyday though, at least with my voice. If I don't stay on it all the time, it goes south real fast I find.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
11/28/14 07:09 PM
Kawai K500 or Seiler ED126
by Mizar
11/28/14 07:03 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 06:58 PM
My prediction, Your thought
by Banzai_Ed
11/28/14 05:29 PM
Replace side panels on MP7?
by acoxcae
11/28/14 05:27 PM
Forum Stats
77081 Members
42 Forums
159429 Topics
2341951 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission